Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
It already is running a variant of the Windows OS and the Game Development Kit makes the XBox just another target profile. If you mean windows mods and hacking and all that ugh no that's for the PC gaming hellscape
except devs still have to make a xbox specific version which is why I'm advocating against and rather go fully for a PC lite experience which yes would allow users to install mods if they wanted. The fact that you refer that as "pc gaming hellscape" doesn't make much sense when it'd be purely optional.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
except devs still have to make a xbox specific version which is why I'm advocating against and rather go fully for a PC lite experience which yes would allow users to install mods if they wanted. The fact that you refer that as "pc gaming hellscape" doesn't make much sense when it'd be purely optional.

It wouldn't be "purely optional" (for example) for the other players if you're using a wallhack, right?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
It wouldn't be "purely optional" (for example) for the other players if you're using a wallhack, right?
ah if you mean online cheating, I'd have to assume nothing would prevent microsoft from having more drastic security measures (maybe at a kernel level like some other pc games) if you only play through the microsoft store while if you decide to install steam then you're obviously opening yourself up to more cheating (while having access to way more games in theory).

You're already subject to more online cheating due to the rise of cross play that they're pushing so trying to completely cut off the PC market from Xbox doesn't seem the best long term approach.

It's kind of a moot point anyway, imo, because it's either them going for a console/pc hybrid ecosystem or eventually completely stopping to make consoles as they sell less and less while gamepass keeps stagnating (and eventually lose subscribers too as they raise prices).

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
ah if you mean online cheating, I'd have to assume nothing would prevent microsoft from having more drastic security measures (maybe at a kernel level like some other pc games) if you only play through the microsoft store while if you decide to install steam then you're obviously opening yourself up to more cheating (while having access to way more games in theory).

The amount of complexity you keep adding onto this concept shows why console gaming is a different market to PC gaming

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
M4xim1l1ano For what it's worth (and because people seem intent on missing your point and piling onto you), I think you might be right-ish in your thinking.

The Series S is just "That other console but cheaper and worse". There are no up-sides to buying one other than saving a couple hundred bucks. As we have seen from countless market data, people seem to be less price-sensitive in big purchases like these, as long as there is (perceived) value there.

A portable Xbox would have appealed to a different segment of the market, and yes, could have made people double-dip.
It would probably have taken on a non-conventional form-factor, given the power-requirements, but that's the sort of thing you get your creatives and engineers to think about, and also task your marketing team with probing the market to see what people might be receptive to.

Would it have been a success? Well I kinda doubt it, but nobody will ever know because they never tried
Explaining why something isn't practical isn't piling on.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
While I do enjoy MVG, he has entirely different opinions of me. I do not care about ownership. Besides a handful of games I have never played a game more than once. I don't care about physical. I think it's archaic and a thing of the past. Everyday I read say there aren't enough Game Pass subscribers and that it's struggling, but then there's talk about Microsoft losing a fortune by putting their expensive games on it? Isn't that a bit contradictory? The company has repeatedly said Game Pass is sustainable but only a small part of the business, which is to be expected when you have the majority of console gamers playing free to play like Fortnite or games from the Xbox One/PS4 generation. I also think exclusivity on console will die, especially when they're putting their games on PC. Like if you cared about exclusives then PC gaming is far superior.

Pilot

Aug 29, 2023
Cologne (Germany)
"If we lose our way with Halo, we lose our way with Xbox, because Halo and the importance of games like CoD and other shooters, that state of the art needs to continue to move forward, and our team at 343 need to move forward with that. That's always going to be one of our success criteria," Spencer told OXM UK.
www.vg247.com

"If we lose our way with Halo, we lose our way with Xbox," says Spencer

Microsoft Game Studios boss Phil Spencer has admitted that the Xbox platform would lose its way if the same happened wi…

At least he was right about that.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
The amount of complexity you keep adding onto this concept shows why console gaming is a different market to PC gaming
I mean Xbox being under Microsoft should be more than adequately positioned to tackle any of those complexities in a way to make it "palateable" to a wider audience. It'd certainly make them more unique than their current offering which isn't working anyway.