GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It depends if you're just a drone happy to grind and collect paychecks, or you want to, you know, create art.
I take issue with this because there is nothing wrong with being there to just collect paycheck. No one wants to live to work. I think that idea is why so many people in pretty much any industry get taken advantage of. Especially in the gaming industry.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, they could have had one or two of these studios do support work on a new Fallout game or something. This is just fucking dumb.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Laughed out loud at the term "COD Mines". 😂

But is it really a negative? I would much rather take a solid wage, stable job at the cod mines, than having to now deal with the uncertainty of losing my job that employees at Double Fine and Ninja Theory are seeing if they don't sell boat loads.
Unfortunately it was pointed out to me that even that cod studios were downsized recently. So not even they are safe.

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
What in the actual fuck. Man this industry sucks so bad right now. Really feel for the devs and hope as many people as possible land on their feet.

gespenster

May 3, 2024
I predict more of their studios will follow. They now have ABK, a cash cow, and all these devs who have been working on stuff for years without a game released or aren't big enough will go.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
This is not original, but I have nothing more to say than "fuck you Microsoft".

I hope the people affected will bounce quickly.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain, after spending $70 billion on the acquisition last year, what their possible intended path is to making that cost back? Because everything they've done since seems to harm the Xbox brand and present fewer pathways to growth.

When they made these acquisitions they thought GamePass would continue to grow and the strength of Bethesda/ActiBlizzard would propel the Series X/S to significantly eat into Sony's marketshare. Neither of those things happened, in fact their hardware is performing worse than the Xbox One, and these are the repercussions.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like the smaller studios are on borrowed time. "We just want you to make great games" Fucking hell, the hit to morale seems like it wouldn't make the penny pinching worthwhile. They make more than enough money to keep these devs going.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
For the first time in like a decade+, Microsoft just made a new IP that people actually give a shit about, and they shuttered the studio who came up with it and released a 90 metacritic game for it
I don't think the point is about the IP being new or old, loved or hated, but being the center of marketing. HFR launch could not be decoupled from Game Pass, for example. They want you think of buying the game before thinking about their service. That's what I think Zhuge is saying.

Cyrus365

Apr 8, 2020
Yea, you really can't break the mold unless you are independent. Too much risk for shareholders as part of a big corpo

You would think having Gamepass would feed into having smaller / "AA" type games rather than chasing the blockbuster titles. But I'm guessing if they are really pushing into the 3rd party narriative, they want to be big Triple A 3rd party developer.

AA is truly dead if gamepass can't even push AA Development.

Oct 30, 2017
Same level as Jim Ryan going to his retirement party at London studios smiling on photos eating cake and then announcing they're killing the studio 5 days later
I think that's worse.

Actively showing up to a studio to attend a party knowing everyone there is about to lose their job is a whole different tier of evil or cowardice.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
People have built this idea up in their heads about Hellblade II being some GoW-style hit game, and it's just not gonna be. The original game was a linear story affair with lots of walking segments and some isolated combat scenarios. It's not gonna be a mainstream success. So RIP I guess.

this even bets due to game pass it wont seel over 1.5 million. Hellblade is a game that would have benefitted from NOT being on game pass.

Chippewa Barr

Powered by Friendship™
Aug 8, 2020
"Phew - we almost started making critically acclaimed games there for a second!"

But for real - Jesus Christ MS what are you doing lol.

I know these are first party, but I basically use my Xbox as a Game Pass and third party machine (latter due to BC/FC ideology) but they are making it increasingly harder to justify sticking with them.

They are like my local NHL team (who just yesterday did the opposite of what fans wanted lol I'll let the hockey peeps on Era guess) just management dropping the ball at every possible opportunity lol.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
People have built this idea up in their heads about Hellblade II being some GoW-style hit game, and it's just not gonna be. The original game was a linear story affair with lots of walking segments and some isolated combat scenarios. It's not gonna be a mainstream success. So RIP I guess.
Also, while not unsuccessful, it didn't exactly set world on fire with its sales either.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I never want to hear "but this acquisition is good because now this dormant IP will surely be able to return under these developers!" as some sort of reason to support consolidation ever again.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
Ugh. I can't really form a coherent thought about this. It sucks. I used to be hopeful that Microsoft's reliance on a subscription service meant they would let their various studios continue to put out smaller and quirkier games, such as Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment. But this tells me that they don't really care about those types of games. I can't imagine Double Fine and Undead Labs (among others) are long for this world, which would be a real shame.

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the point is about the IP being new or old, loved or hated, but being the center of marketing. HFR launch could not be decoupled from Game Pass, for example. They want you think of buying the game before thinking about their service. That's what I think Zhuge is saying.
Then why didn't they fucking market it instead of shadowdropping onto Game Pass on day one? HFR launch couldn't be decoupled from Game Pass because of their release strategy. So they punish the devs for their fuck up?

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
I guarantee you she had no idea. You'd be surprised how many high level decisions leave certain execs and leadership out of the loop. They probably learned of it likely hours before, if not at the same time we did.
Being honest, I totally expected a person of her status to know about something as big as this. But fair enough if it's common for someone in her position to not know about something like this.

If that's the case, she should still show some character and apologise though.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty amazing that Phil, Sarah Bond and Matt Booty keep dodging shit like the Matrix. Are they just blaming everything on Bethesda management or something?

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
the fuck? hi-fi rush was one of the biggest highlights for the entire industry last year, feel awful for tango.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
In a creative industry like video games? Depends on how much you can stomach the "grind" I suppose.

Having a stable income/job doesn't mean much to me if I hate what I'm doing. If I just wanted a "job" I'd be in another industry that paid better for less work.

I get that, but I'm not going to assume people hate working on COD, just because that's a narrative on this site from somewhere? I'm sure a lot of people that work on the COD games are satisfied with their jobs.

For example. I'd love to be the sound designer or the graphic designer for the COD games. Imagine testing the real life weapons daily, fine tuning etc. Or as a designer myself I'd love to do the graphics for it.

Unfortunately it was pointed out to me that even that cod studios were downsized recently. So not even they are safe.

Ahhh fuck.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Jfc, I'm so sorry for the people affected.

Let's be sure to cheer again the next time some megacorp creeps closer to monopoly.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These morons are going to end up closing Blizzard i tell you

Tradesman

May 22, 2019
the Xbox leadership team have made so many terrible moves over the last few years, its actually insane

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Tango is baffling but honestly arkane doesn't deserve a fucking shutdown either. "One miss and you're out" is BS, Microsoft failed them as a parent company overseeing Redfall and now the studio is paying that price

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Closing Tango is genuinely the most baffling industry news I've heard maybe ever.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
All of this is happening because of GamePass and Xbox console struggles. This is less about consolidation and more about GamePass/Xbox console imo.

That's it. There's a reason this isn't happening at Nintendo and it's because they're firing on all cylinders with every franchise breaking records.

Microsoft had set an expectation for GamePass to reach 100 million subscribers by 2030. That's just radically unrealistic but they were investing in the service like it would happen.

Can't keep spending billions on content if you don't see the same billions coming back in the form of increased revenue. That's why subscriptions are such a rough business. Look at everybody in media struggling outside of Netflix as they try to make subscription services work.

Hifi Rush is an amazing looking game and clearly it had a good number of players, but that generates what? If there's no increase in subscribers does that even matter?

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, this is beyond shitty. It'll be hard to be excited about any upcoming projects being published by MS after this.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Laughed out loud at the term "COD Mines". 😂

But is it really a negative? I would much rather take a solid wage, stable job at the cod mines, than having to now deal with the uncertainty of losing my job that employees at Double Fine and Ninja Theory are seeing if they don't sell boat loads.
It comes with some of the worst crunch in the industry, as keeping that shit on a yearly release cycle is not really sustainable, but Acti aren't going to willingly stop, so it's pretty bad, but probably good pay and very good for the resume.

Last edited:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain, after spending $70 billion on the acquisition last year, what their possible intended path is to making that cost back? Because everything they've done since seems to harm the Xbox brand and present fewer pathways to growth.

You reduce spending on unprofitable/slightly profitable games (your Hi-Fi Rush, Double Fine games etc…) and funnel that into investments with better opportunity costs (your Call of Duty, Diablo, Fallout etc…).

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
When they made these acquisitions they thought GamePass would continue to grow and the strength of Bethesda/ActiBlizzard would propel the Series X/S to significantly eat into Sony's marketshare. Neither of those things happened, in fact their hardware is performing worse than the Xbox One, and these are the repercussions.
That all of this happened because seemingly Xbox execs refused to look at the history and numbers of pretty much any streaming service in existence and having unrealistic expectations of their subscription model makes this situation so much worse.

Laur

Oct 27, 2017
Devastating news. I still don't quite understand how Tango got shut down, they were clearly capable of delivering high quality games why not try leverage that into something more mainstream?

Absolutely bizarre.