Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Remember this thread:
www.resetera.com

Jeff Grubb on Hi-Fi Rush: "Based on what I've heard, it just didn't make the money it needed to make"

Jeff mentions how there may still be a performance expectation for games despite being on Game Pass, and that a far bigger game like Halo Infinite ultimately failing to provide a cushion of sorts by bringing in tons of money may hurt games like Hi-Fi Rush. We have heard statements like these...

Which was closed because Aaron Greenberg tweeted this:

View: https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/1649431572137779203

This aged well I would say.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
the irony of mikami leaving tango because he thought the studio was safe after the acquisition.. lol

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Absolutely evil. Megacorps are the devil. Capitalism is hell. I hate this so much. I feel terrible for the people losing their jobs because the incredibly rich corporation wants to save a few bucks. Fuck this.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This industry couldn't let me be excited (Switch 2!) for barely six hours before dropping some more bullshit.

Urgh.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Tango noooooo. Hi-Fi Rush is one of the coolest games in years. Very sad about this.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Wow..... Dishonoured is one of my favorite game series........... Feel bad for them, they messed up with Redfall but did not think Microsoft would be dumb enough to shut them down...

Great job with the takeover..... fucking big L again for Msoft.
Arkane Austin didn't really have anything to do with Dishonoured, that was Arkane Lyon.

Austin did Prey and Redfall.

edit: apparently both studios worked on the first Dishonoured

Last edited:

Zaryn

Oct 25, 2017
This is so goddamn sad. I both angry and upset for all those impacted. Fuck MS.

Hummus

Jan 26, 2018
We need to talk about capitalism, really. And how it shows time and time again how it's workings are a malice to this (and most other creative) industries

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
This is an absolutely reprehensible and incredibly destructive move. Fuck MS and the wholly unneeded consolidation that led to this. Hopefully everybody affected can find better opportunities elsewhere as quickly as possible.

Sanders21

Sep 3, 2023
They JUST ported Hi Fi Rush. If a game like that has no hope at a first party studio these days then what the fuck are we doing here.

Turnscr3w

Jan 16, 2022
This probably means less investment in Gamepass as well. Activision/Blizzard is so profitable on it's own that it renders the smaller dev studios redundant.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
I thought the whole point of of Gamepass was that even if games don't sell great Gamepass will protect them because they need content.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's the question now. Was it a success at all? And was releasing it on PS5 the last throw of the dice to save Tango?

A year-late port of a game wasn't going to save a studio. If anything Microsoft knew they were going to do this and put out the PS5 port to squeeze a few more bucks out of them at the last minute before shutting them down.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Remember this thread:
www.resetera.com

Jeff Grubb on Hi-Fi Rush: "Based on what I've heard, it just didn't make the money it needed to make"

Jeff mentions how there may still be a performance expectation for games despite being on Game Pass, and that a far bigger game like Halo Infinite ultimately failing to provide a cushion of sorts by bringing in tons of money may hurt games like Hi-Fi Rush. We have heard statements like these...

Which was closed because Aaron Greenberg tweeted this:

View: https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/1649431572137779203

This aged well I would say.

Yup, it is clear now that Grubb was right. You don't close the studio if Hii Rush is a massive success.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
If they are going to be gutting everything that doesn't print money, i have a bad feeling about Ninja Theory's longevity.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
People at Tango deserve a home that values them. All of them do.

In cases where its reorganisation, reallocating people on to things they think will lead to success - that's understandable - but closing studios, including one that gave them their highest profile game last year looks a lot like someone on high said "we just spent 70bln, you need to cut operating costs by X"

Hope everyone who possibly can finds work quickly.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Oh man. I had hope for Evil Within 3 now that Tango was with Microsoft. I thought they would have had a chance at making it with Microsoft's "interest" in Japanese developers and deep pockets. Evil Within 2 was so good.

What a terrible way to go. Tango was an amazing developer, and Microsoft was lucky to have them. Taking Tango out back, and shooting them feels like an analog to Xbox at this point.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
What the absolute fuck

Like goddamn, I don't know how people can get hyped over acquisitions anymore when we keep seeing the same story repeat over and over. I sure as hell hope people at least stop believing in the myth of "good guy Spencer."

Tango didn't deserve this.