• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

Mod edit: clarification from developer

Future "Life is Strange 2" episodes (incl. Ep 2) will be available in Xbox Game Pass 90 days following their original release.

The Xbox Tweet mentioned in the OP answered that LiS2 Ep2 would be coming to gamepass, not that it would be available on launch day, though I can understand where the confusion arose.

Last edited by a moderator:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, this reminds me that I need to complete season 1 which was added recently. Game Pass has proven to be a good investment.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
They really want me to just not buy anything else on XB1 but Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass. It's too bad that I have the game elsewhere and am not going to start over again on XB1 just to make use of this addition, as I've resolved to minimize double dips in general and even with "free"/service offerings.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
They really want me to just not buy anything else on XB1 but Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass. It's too bad that I have the game elsewhere and am not going to start over again on XB1 just to make use of this addition, as I've resolved to minimize double dips in general and even with "free"/service offerings.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

honestly that's my approach going forward on Xbox after this, at least for anything that's not AAA level I guess

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
Why? That's an entirely different purchase and doesn't depend on Game Pass. You get to have the game regardless if you have Game Pass or not.
Well, some people felt "cheated" when buying Telltale games because they went on sale before the end of the season, and that's basically almost irrelevant compared to this (and yes, also LIS2 went on sale already, if only for the first episode).
Now they're giving away for "free/GP price" a game which costs 39.99$ after the release of only the first episode.
I get it you get to "keep" the game after the expiration of GP but I can understand this may suck for Xbox owners who bought the game at launch. I would understand some kind of "sure, each episode is coming to GP but not on launch" just to give some sort of "timed privilege" to people who supported the developer from day one, but I guess this is it. This is pretty much the end for episodic gaming imho.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you keep the games after you let your Game Pass lapse? That's literally the only way they get screwed.
I suspect most people don't feel tempted to buy games (at $40 full price) that they've already played and beaten "for free" (I know, not technically free) through a subscription service. If you've already bought this and have a gamepass sub, your purchase gets you no benefit, and you couldn't have ever known that going in. I'd be pretty unimpressed if I were one of those buyers.
They also delivered a great deal to everyone who subscribes to the service, and changed nothing for you since you still own the game outright.
I'm not actually one of those people. What they changed was the value proposition of the purchase. They asked people to pay $40 for a game and then decided to give it away for free to an overlapping set of people. Zero differentiation. If you paid for the game and and have gamepass, you probably feel burned, because your $40 purchase afforded you absolutely no benefit.
They also delivered a great deal to everyone who subscribes to the service, and changed nothing for you since you still own the game outright.
Of course. But doing something great for one group of people doesn't mean you didn't shaft another. The thing that they changed for gamepass subscribers who bought LiS S2 is that whereas previously they thought they paid $40 for a reason, they can now see they paid $40 for no reason at all.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Gamepass is the gift that keeps on giving. Dont even know why i spend money on buying new titles.

If Gamepass continue to be this great and next gen Xbox is BC with the current and upcoming Gamepass library i will get that one Day 1. Instead of buying and upgrading my PC with expensive parts i will move to that more, perhaps.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I'm not actually one of those people. What they changed was the value proposition of the purchase. They asked people to pay $40 for a game and then decided to give it away for free to an overlapping set to people. Zero differentiation. If you paid for the game and and have a gamepass and sub, you probably feel burned, because your $40 purchase afforded you absolutely no benefit.

That is literally the case with every game released on a subscription service ever. How is one supposed to release a game on a subscription service and avoid the above, if said game is being released on a subscription service after it launched as a fully purchaseable offer first?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is literally the case with every game released on a subscription service ever. How is one supposed to release a game on a subscription service and avoid the above, if said game is being released on a subscription service after it launched as a fully purchaseable offer first?
In this case the game is episodic and roughly 80% of the content has yet to be delivered. People who bought and people who get it through a subscription service get it simultaneously. Generally, if you know a game is coming to a subscription service on day 1, you'll have the opportunity to at least cancel your preorder. Not the case here.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Of course I bought it, for fucking 40EUR. And of course I own GamePass. Not that I don't want to support the dev, but I could have 4 months worth of Gamepass. Not that I am tight on budget, but still... One game instead of what, more than hundred?

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's great. I would not have bought it (I thought the first season was bad) but after playing the first episode, which is better than the entirety of the first season Im all in.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have a point if they had done this after the full season was out, right now only the first episode is. There's also a bit of extra sting given that they hiked up the price from the $19.99 for 1 and $16.99 ($24.99 for the deluxe edition) for BtS, to $39.99 for 2.

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
You'd have a point if they had done this after the full season was out, right now only the first episode is. There's also a bit of extra sting given that they hiked up the price from the $19.99 for 1 and $16.99 ($24.99 for the deluxe edition) for BtS, to $39.99 for 2.
Yup, basically for Xbox owners who subscribed to GP, the actual value of giving 39.99 to Dontnod for LIS2 (between sept 18 and dec 18) is owning Ep1, like, 3 months before GP owners. That's it.
And, of course, owning the game forever after but it's not a game that's bound to be replayed many times over.
I played it on PC, and loved it, hyped as hell for Ep2, and don't have an Xbox but honestly, this seems scummy as hell to me.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, basically for Xbox owners who subscribed to GP, the actual value of giving 39.99 to Dontnod for LIS2 (between sept 18 and dec 18) is owning Ep1, like, 3 months before GP owners. That's it.
And, of course, owning the game forever after but it's not a game that's bound to be replayed many times over.
I played it on PC, and loved it, hyped as hell for Ep2, and don't have an Xbox but honestly, this seems scummy as hell to me.
Yeah, I bought it on PS4 but I'm also subscribed to GP on Xbox and I'm feeling kinda burned. I absolutely love the game and the LiS series but this isn't how you foster good will among your customers. People learned quick not to buy Telltale season passes at launch and this is sending that same signal.

Did they? Those who bought it own it. Unless you only believe this isn't a game worth owning. Then I guess?
If a movie that I want to watch is on Netflix/Hulu/whatever I'm gonna watch it there instead of buying it. If a game I want to play is on GP/PS+/whatever I'm gonna play it there instead of buying it.

Personally? No

But it happens. Unless you believe Forza Horizon 4 sold literally no copies of course. Some people do like to own their games.

Crazy...I know
People who wanted to buy FH4 did it knowing it would also be available on GP. That's the difference here.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Did they? Those who bought it own it. Unless you only believe this isn't a game worth owning. Then I guess?
Do you believe that such consumers should have been armed with the knowledge of the choice they have before they decided to buy the game? If someone knew that the entire season would be day and date with Gamepass and still proceeded to buy the game to support the developers and/or to own the product independent of Gamepass as a service, there's nothing wrong with that. But to sell something as the only option to play the game at launch, only to reveal after the fact that it will be on the service day and date for all episodes, is rather unfortunate. If someone bought the game and also has Gamepass, they should be allowed to refund it.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Personally? No

But it happens. Unless you believe Forza Horizon 4 sold literally no copies of course. Some people do like to own their games.

Crazy...I know
Forza's a slightly different situation, but yes, of course Horizon sold regardless of being available through game pass. Of course it happens! I'm not saying that EVERYONE in this group is going to be upset, or should be. I just empathize for those who are. There are even some in this thread! Surely you can see how someone could feel taken for a ride, especially when they weren't given the foreknowledge that Forza buyers were. I suspect that even some of those people who DID buy Forza day 1 would feel tricked if Xbox hadn't been upfront about the option to play it through gamepass instead.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Do you believe that such consumers should have been armed with the knowledge of the choice they have before they decided to buy the game? If someone knew that the entire season would be day and date with Gamepass and still proceeded to buy the game to support the developers and/or to own the product independent of Gamepass as a service, there's nothing wrong with that. But to sell something as the only option to play the game at launch, only to reveal after the fact that it will be on the service day and date for all episodes, is rather unfortunate. If someone bought the game and also has Gamepass, they should be allowed to refund it.

Your argument is like complaining the dicounted Tomb Raider.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the first episode and season pass didn't sell all that well. We had a similar situation on the PS4 with the first episode of LiS2 already dropping to half price in one of the sales. By comparison LiS1 wasn't in any sales until the season was finished. I only bought episode 1 on launch, but now I'm in no hurry to buy episodes 2-5 bundle. I really hope Dontnod won't end up on the same path as Telltale with people ignoring their games when they launch knowing they'll have much better deals if they just wait a bit.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your argument is like complaining the dicounted Tomb Raider.
It's more like arguing they somehow gave tomb raider away on a popular subscription service on day 1, but after all purchasers were already locked in.

(Many people would actually be upset to find out that something was discounted immediately following their purchase and many stores actually have policies or mechanisms that offer redress to this.)

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, why should I give a fuck about people who have problems that don't affect me. Very suspicious of me.

Sure, but...

ahahaha wow they really screwed everyone who bought S2 on xbox.

Coming in laughing about it doesn't seem very genuine tbh.

Anyway, nice get for the service. I don't have an XB1 but if they manage to make Game Pass on PC worthwhile (for me) I'd certainly consider subscribing.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will it be another icon on Xbox in can we have a general game including all episode like before ? Because right now it's jusr s2 ep1 I don't want to have multiple shortcuts

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So, somebody explain this to me. Are we supposed to be angry/disappointed at Microsoft, Square or Dontnod. Or all of them? What do people feel would be the right amount of time to inform people beforehand that a game is coming to a subscription service. Does same timeframe go to games that are new and old? Do people feel that they should be able to refund a game in wake of announcement of it coming to gamepass? Like let's say you buy a game and few days later it's announced to be at subscription service in two weeks. Should episodic games be at the service at all if the series isn't completely finished? How about early access games? I think that's all I want to know at the moment.

Edit: Actually one more, at what point it's okay to add 3rd party games to the service. Month after release, six months?

Last edited:

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
So, somebody explain this to me. Are we supposed to be angry/disappointed at Microsoft, Square or Dontnod. Or all of them? What do people feel would be the right amount of time to inform people beforehand that a game is coming to a subscription service. Does same timeframe go to games that are new and old? Do people feel that they should be able to refund a game in wake of announcement of it coming to gamepass? Like let's say you buy a game and few days later it's announced to be at subscription service after two weeks. Should episodic games be at the service at all if the series isn't completely finished? How about early access games? I think that's all I want to know at the moment.

I think most would be ok with being able to refund the game if they're subscribed to Game Pass.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They really fucked Day1 buyers on Xbox One. Only announcing launching the rest of the episodes Day1 on GamePass after Episode 1 is out, doubling the price compared to S1 and taking 4 months to actually release the second episode.
Telltale managed to release two eps in the same timeframe while the whole company went under.
I can totally get everyone who is not pleased about this. It's the classic "Discounting the whole season before all episodes are out"-issue but a whole lot worse.

I understand the deal between Square and MS was probably made after Episode 1 was already out, but they should be able to offer some kind of compensation.

Forza is an entirely different situation because everyone knew this game would come to GamePass at launch, so everyone was able to make an informed purchase decision.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If a movie that I want to watch is on Netflix/Hulu/whatever I'm gonna watch it there instead of buying it. If a game I want to play is on GP/PS+/whatever I'm gonna play it there instead of buying it.

People who wanted to buy FH4 did it knowing it would also be available on GP. That's the difference here.

First. That's you. That doesn't apply to all xbox owners.

Second point. Agreed

Agreed on the refund part. I also agree about being armed with prior knowledge. However the post I originally quoted said it screwed EVERY Xbox Season 2 buyer. Which assumes all those people are GamePass subscribers.

Forza's a slightly different situation, but yes, of course Horizon sold regardless of being available through game pass. Of course it happens! I'm not saying that EVERYONE in this group is going to be upset, or should be. I just empathize for those who are. There are even some in this thread! Surely you can see how someone could feel taken for a ride, especially when they weren't given the foreknowledge that Forza buyers were. I suspect that even some of those people who DID buy Forza day 1 would feel tricked if Xbox hadn't been upfront about the option to play it through gamepass instead.

Maybe I shouldn't have taken you so literally.

You said they screwed every buyer of Season 2 on Xbox. Unless you think every single one of those buyers is a GamePass subscriber then I'm not sure how.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think most would be ok with being able to refund the game if they're subscribed to Game Pass.
That'd be ideal. At the very least, I feel like they should have the choice to refund the difference of day 1 full game vs day 1 episode 1.

I don't blame Square or DONTNOD for having to do what they must to try to make their money back on what seems to have been not a successful venture. It's a damn shame to see that this may not be paying off for them at all. But even though early adopters getting shafted is nothing new, it still feels like some of their biggest fans got burned by this in a somewhat unprecedented way.
Maybe I shouldn't have taken you so literally.

You said they screwed every buyer of Season 2 on Xbox. Unless you think every single one of those buyers is a GamePass subscriber then I'm not sure how.
Read the quote chain.
Why? That's an entirely different purchase and doesn't depend on Game Pass. You get to have the game regardless if you have Game Pass or not.
You're right, I suppose I can narrow that field. They really did dirty any game pass subscribers who bought this.