• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

If true, I wonder how low the price is. $199 is probably a pipe dream but it'd also be awesome for people that want to get into next-gen for real cheap and already have XB1 controllers.

Dec 11, 2017
That's a really crazy concept. Almost too crazy to be true. Then again, any old Xbox One controller would work on it.

How much does a controller actually cost Microsoft? $20? Less?

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Guess that explains why they are supporting Xbox One controllers still.

Although seems like a bad way to get new people into the ecosystem.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This could actually be a pretty brilliant strategy. I would buy a Series X without a controller as I plan on using my Elite and I have plenty of One controllers for when I need more than one.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
hmm 299 with controller and 249 without ? or 299/349
I could see that work since xb1 controllers are compatible

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like this idea, only problem average consumer buying it and then wondering why there's no controller after they open the box

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Unless they support DS4 or other controllers, that's dumb. This console is designed to be an entry to Xbox ecosystem, so, the people who would buy it would need a controller anyway.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If Lockhart, the less powerful next gen Xbox designed to be the more affordable entry point into next gen, needs to ship without a controller to be competitively priced, then that is not good.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Wasn't there a joke about a console (never) being sold without a controller? Is Jeff just joking here?

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
This doesn't make any sense. What target audience are they aiming for with Lockhart? Is it the new/casual audience? Or the existing audience?

The specs and price suggests the former but I don't know how they'll spin it in the marketing? Next-gen Xbox starting at $199-$249*

*without a controller?

I mean before any speculation, do we have any BOM estimates for the controller?

$15-20.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know the price would remain the same with or without a controller. The price would only be cheaper to Microsoft.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Lockheart without a controller to make it cheaper, is a relly good idea when Xbox One controllers works on it too.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that's really smart. Between Xbox and PC, I feel like a TON of people own an Xbone controller.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Really? I thought the mark up on them is massive?

Removing them would just reduce the value of the package to save a few bucks.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
next gen xbox is already gonna have series x and series s, now you wanna add more skus?

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make any sense. What target audience are they aiming for with Lockhart? Is it the new/casual audience? Or the existing audience?

The specs and price suggests the former but I don't know how they'll spin it in the marketing? Next-gen Xbox starting at $199-$249*

*without a controller?

$15-20.

Thank you. I mean...yeah that's not much. I can also see a lot of confusion among buyers around holiday seasons etc. too. Not sure if it would be worth the price reduction. But either way, if true, would be really interesting to see the market reaction.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I like this idea, only problem average consumer buying it and then wondering why there's no controller after they open the box
Would most likely just be online only and you'll have the option to customize your order. Just Like you would when buying a PC.

There won't be a case of a person picking one up off the retail shelf and having no controller.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if there's Lockhart w/ controller, and Lockhart w/o controller, sure, that seems like a good idea.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That seems like a mistake, I guess it depends on how it's positioned but it would need to be significantly cheaper then the standard Lockhart sku but I don't think it would be a good thing

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a joke about a console (never) being sold without a controller? Is Jeff just joking here?
yes but I thought this was as the only option. As a separate sku, I think it's a great idea. Just put a label on it making it clear. they also have experience in how to make big labels that take almost all space on the package, so why not use it lol

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This is going to cause an avalanche of customer support calls and open box returns.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
A controller-less SKU is the kind of thing that makes sense on paper but no one has been crazy enough to try yet. There's going to be a flood of Xbox One controllers of all shapes and sizes just hanging in the retail space, will be easy for anyone to pick up what they like.

This is going to cause an avalanche of customer support calls and open box returns.

More likely a bunch of forced bundles over the holidays and Gamestop/ Best Buy employees trying to upsell you an Elite or a HOTAS to play Flight Simulator next year.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
If they were going as low as they can with Lockhardt anyway, what's a controller gonna change? I'd think they'd do the cost-saving on the console, to me this impacts the consumer more than MS themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Maybe they should sell Lockhart as a box of parts you assemble yourself. Saves on assembly costs and you get the thrill of building your own console.

Also, no need for HDMI cables, USB cables, power cables.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Well, well, well!

Now this would explain the lack of evolution of the xbox controller this generation. People can use their old xbone controllers and Microsoft can lower the retail price by $50.

They made a deal with the devil with this strategy. I disapprove.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
This might explains why they didn't add many features to the new controller and made it cross generational.

This way they can control the price of the lockhart better

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
That's jokes actually. Seems a bit... eBay? Cheapo Xbox for sale, no controller though.