• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4-vs-Xbox-One.jpg

Note:
Perhaps a better title would be
Xbox One and PS4 reviews were kinda wild, with totally wrong projections on how this gen would shake out.

While we wait for the coming of the next generation I thought it would be interesting to look back at the current generation's PS4 and Xbox One and look a how they were initially reviewed on launch. What I found was pretty surprising when I polled some of the larger sites and you'll be somewhat surprised by first impressions compared to how they eventually panned out. As a cross section I used the following outlets:
  • Polygon
  • The Verge
  • IGN
  • Eurogamer
  • Kotaku
PS4
Polygon
: 7.5/10
http://www.polygon.com/a/ps4-review

The PS4 hints at plenty of other possibilities. Local network play via the PS Vita has an enormous amount of potential. The PlayStation App and even the Playstation Camera may provide opportunities for developers to broaden the appeal of the PlayStation 4 beyond the hardcore audience it currently seems so intent on courting. Unlike the PlayStation 3, Sony's latest effort was built to evolve.

But the PlayStation 4's focus on gaming — and only gaming — is undermined by a distinct lack of compelling software. That failing is sure to improve — better games and more of them will appear on the PlayStation 4 — but right now, this is a game console without a game to recommend it. Early adopters of the PS4 this fall are buying potential energy. We're just waiting for a place to spend it.
While Polygon notes the camera might open up more opportunities for developers it wasn't a pack in like Kinect so devs mostly ignored it until it became a requirement for VR years down the line. It turned out there wasn't really a need for bringing more than core games to the audience because that's what people wanted. Still, they're right in saying the first week of releases was pretty dry.

The Verge: No score
https://www.theverge.com/2013/11/15/5106888/sony-playstation-4-review

What Sony's done, though, is mark its territory. Stake its claim. Sony's not making big, grand gestures about the future of the living room the way Microsoft is, or attempting to alter the way we watch TV and talk to our families. It just wants us to play games. The PlayStation 4 is absolutely, unequivocally a gaming console for people who want to play video games, and it never pretends to be anything else. And even though the games aren't yet there for Sony — as is really always true with launch titles for consoles — they will be. Sony's earned the benefit of the doubt on that.

For right now, though, there's little incentive to spend $399 on a PlayStation 4. Not only are there few games worth the price of admission, the vast library of PS3 games is more compelling than anything the PS4 currently offers. If you're desperate for a new console, rest assured that eventually the PS4 will be one; it has plenty of power, a great controller, and a lot of good ideas about how we can play games better and how we can play them together. But for right now, they're mostly still just ideas.

The Verge were right in that in the early days there wasn't enough variety in PS4 to jump in, but the quality ramped up quickly and became the first launch console for most titles. The line about good ideas on how we can play games better was perhaps foresight at the coming VR space Sony would inhabit but Microsoft were more trailblazing during their chase of second place.

The moves towards Play Anywhere and cross play we're behind any social initiatives Sony aimed for - even if the audience appreciated the solid, unbending message from day one.

IGN: No score
https://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/13/playstation-4-review

Like any launch console, the PS4 isn't perfect. The software is lacking some key functionality, the DualShock 4's more distinctive features are underutilized, and remote play is still rough around the edges. But in spite of these issues, the PS4 is an exceptionally well-crafted console. It's impressively small and attractive design sets a new bar for the industry, and its powerful hardware offers not only stunning visuals, but higher player counts, constantly connected experiences, and larger, more detailed worlds. And did I mention how great the DualShock 4 is? It's pretty amazing.

Not a whole lot here other than some thin marketing speak, but otherwise in point with how it's been received by the audience.

Eurogamer/DF
No score
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4

Where the jury's still out is on the user interface. We've just not had anything like enough time to put it through its paces. With that said, while some of clunkiness in the PlayStation Store is a touch off-putting, there's a sense that everything is well organised and easy to find, with a rich vein of useful functionality. The fact that the proliferation of the PS3's download/install progress bars has now been reduced significantly can only be a good thing.
PlayStation 4 may well be based on PC hardware, then, but based on these first impressions, it feels like much more of a console - a pure gaming thoroughbred - than its predecessor.

Again, Eurogamer calling Playstation what many would agree with - from the start it was a console designed for a singular purpose even if it didn't have a refined infrastructure to support it at this point in 2013.

Kotaku
Buy: Not Yet
https://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-the-kotaku-review-in-progress-1463521231

In November 2013, the PS4 is hopefully both a great extension of the PS3 and, oddly, a clean break. It's not backwards-compatible, after all. Not yet, not until 2014 when Sony plans to deliver streaming games to those of us with good enough Internet connections to remote-control PS3 games housed on some Sony server somewhere. For now, the PS4 sits next to the PS3 without fully displacing it.

Picture this Friday as a crucial moment in the great Sony relay race. The PS3 is handing off the baton, and just as it happens, time seems to freeze. The next runner, the PS4, has taken the hand-off but hasn't quite landed its first stride. The PS3 will keep running for a time, coasting on its own momentum. The PS4 looks poised, ready charge forth. We assume it'll happen. But that hand-off is still in progress. It's too soon to tell what happens next.
Kotaku saw promise but not enough at launch to recommend an outright buy. It's hard to imagine a world today where backwards compatibility could be so severely crippled at launch but this was a point of contention with the PS3 still deserving of its spot alongside the PS4.

Xbox One
Polygon - 8/10
https://www.polygon.com/a/xbox-one-review

Microsoft has insisted it has the software gamers want. But it's also maintained that this generation is about more than that. It's repeatedly outlined a vision for a console based around entertainment, apps and connected experiences, tied together by Kinect, which has been met with apprehension by the enthusiast audience.

To be clear, Kinect isn't a fully realized product yet. Gesture support is functionally non-existent, and there's a lack of good examples of how Kinect can contribute to games. There are certain elements of Microsoft's strategy that are missing at launch, like support for Twitch streaming and HBO Go. And the console's television functionality impresses … if you watch television.

But in many ways, the Xbox One's bold direction for the future is well in place. The integration of voice controls and its media strategy are a boon to everyone, and the ability to run apps while playing games is something we now want on every gaming console we have. That it has a handful of strong, exclusive games at launch only supports its legitimacy as a gaming console and not just an entertainment hub.

The Xbox One is an impressive marriage of software and hardware that raises the bar in terms of what we expect from a living-room machine. Looking forward more than it looks back, the Xbox One feels like it's from the future.

If any review shows the perils of making terrible bets it would be this one. While Microsoft would eventually get there with Xbox One X it's hard to picture any of this as being accurate in hindsight. The promise was there but unfortunately for Microsoft nobody was buying into this vision.

The Verge: no score

https://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5117320/microsoft-xbox-one-review

When Microsoft says it's building a console for the next decade, it's not lying. Where the PlayStation 4 is designed to simply become an ever-better version of itself, the Xbox One is poised to turn into an entirely different, entirely unprecedented device.

It may not only supplement, but replace your cable box; it could have a rich, full app store; games are only going to get better, more impressive, and more interactive. The blueprints are all here. Virtually everything Microsoft is trying to do is smart, practical, and forward-thinking — even as they've undone some of the Xbox One's most future-proof innovation over the last few months, Marc Whitten and his team at Microsoft have clearly kept their heads in the future.

Another review that falls into focusing on the all in one aspects which are nearly nonexistent in 2020. Forward thinking, yes, but in the sense of thinking perhaps too far ahead for a different audience whose focus wasn't gaming. The problem is those people were never going to buy a games console for television or Skype.

IGN: No score

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/20/xbox-one-review

Xbox One is an exciting entry into the new generation of home consoles that improves on the Xbox 360 in many ways. It offers a broader set of home entertainment features than its closest rival, the PlayStation 4. But it's also more expensive, and because it can't parse natural language, it'll force you to learn its specific vocabulary of commands in order to take advantage of its interface. Whether that's something your entire household is willing to do is up to you – and them. Fundamentally, it's one of the biggest barriers to entry if Microsoft hopes to take over the living room on a massive scale. If you're purely interested in gaming, you may want to wait until the platform stabilizes or drops in price. However, if you're more like me and are tired of the dumbest screen in your house being your TV, the Xbox One will change your living room forever. Sure, you're likely to experience some quirks – but Microsoft is pioneering new territory here. I, for one, will never turn off my console and TV with a controller again.

I enjoyed my voice commands with Kinect, but my wife was regularly frustrated that it could never get her accent right enough in the parser. One time a friend of ours cackled for about 20 mins as I kept trying to turn up the volume but my Irish lilt was just too confusing.

Either way, the IGN review was spot in that Microsoft wanted to aim higher here with some novel actions but it never translated into a language an audience wanted to learn. Ask my wife!

Eurogamer/DF
No score
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-hardware-test

Microsoft's vision is very different. It has taken a broader view of the market perhaps not entirely compatible with the needs and wants of the core gamer. It is willing to make the trades on gaming power in order to potentially revolutionise the way we interact with entertainment in the living room - Microsoft is betting that once we've experienced it, we'll never be able to go back. It's a bold gamble, but the key issue is that much of this revolutionary functionality just isn't there right now. The price differential with PlayStation 4 clearly is.

There are some great ideas here, then, but we've had just a small glimpse of what the machine is capable of. Cool functions like resuming gameplay from standby are flaky, while the centrepiece of the media experience - full integration with live TV - just isn't there yet outside of Microsoft's home market. It's coming, but we have no idea when. The core of what's left, beyond some neat features, is very much a games machine: one whose capabilities are proven, but which remains considerably more expensive than PlayStation 4.

Probably the most prescient of all the main console reviews, Richard Leadbetter had the clearest line of sight for what the Xbox One would struggle with for most of the generation in both its messaging and perception at the very least. Full integration with live tv never materialised outside of NA, and many features that were promised at launch never lived up to its full potential.

Kotaku
Buy: Not Yet

https://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-the-kotaku-review-1467960010

I admire what Microsoft is trying to do with the Xbox One, and I'm rooting for them to give their console that final push to get it to where it needs to be. The whole thing is almost there. The Kinect almost works well enough to get me to use it all the time. The TV integration is almost smooth enough to make me plug it into the heart of my living-room setup. Multitasking almost works well enough to get me checking the internet while I play games.

The skeptic in me says that while many technology manufacturers seem hell-bent on making the next great convergence device, technology tends to diverge. New devices are more likely to take on a role we didn't know we wanted (e.g. people now own a smartphone, a laptop and a tablet) instead of pulling together multiple roles we didn't realize could be combined. Successful convergence devices like the iPhone will forever inspire others to swim upstream, attempting to replicate a one-in-a-million success. Will our living rooms ever be governed by a single device? And if so, will that device be the Xbox One?
There was admiration here for trying something new but the convergency they guessed at never emerged. New versions of the hardware stepped further and further away from this great experiment as subsequent dashboards stripped out features such as Snap reducing the Xbox One to a games console that wasn't quite as powerful as it's neighbour. The PS4.

Summary:
While we are about to learn more about the new Xbox and PS5 in the coming months it's worth keeping in mind that the product that releases this fall (and the review takes that follow) won't necessarily pan out with the end result towards the end of the generation. So for all the thirst we have today remember that none of this will matter years from now.

Last edited:

Seaman

Oct 30, 2017
I won't say that the reviews were necessarily wrong, just that Sony was able to not only stay ahead of itself and the competition with better exclusive software, but it also had a clear vision and it communicated that vision better. However, I think a lot of points here are correct jn that the PS4 was well built but underwhelming at launch with its launch software lineup and lack of multimedia capabilities like not even being able to play CDs initially.

While the reviews where right (in my opinion) of the initial outlook of the platforms, in reality Sony's bet was right long term and none of those little "things" and "extras" mattered, and all that ended up being important was that clear vision. I think the PS4 now is WAY better than it was at launch, and a much better prepositio.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These don't strike me as being that wild or wrong. I bought a PS4 at launch and remember feeling like there was nothing to do with it because it had no games. These mostly seem like sensible reviews

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Several of these were from sites with people who were unironically defending the original plans for the XBox 1 (and just glossing over issues even when stuff like family sharing was revealed to be basically a lie), so it's no surprise their evaluations would be extremely out of touch. Nevermind the silliness of "reviewing" a release console anyway.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
A lot of these reviews are saying things that were true at the time, just because things have changed doesn't mean they were wrong about the way things stood.

Making wild predictions about the gaming future is perilous though

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Those reviews don't seem that far off the mark really - but I guess "nice hardware, shame there's no games" can apply to any console. Polygon trying to give scores to a console release was definitely kinda cringey - especially as at the time it was obvious that Sony had really learnt from the fuck up that was the PS3. And that was before they gave MS a masterclass in marketing a console at launch.

I also remember MS PR team having accounts on gaf trying to do damage control and all the amazing Eltorro gifs. Good times.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Those reviews don't seem that far off the mark really - but I guess "nice hardware, shame there's no games" can apply to any console. Polygon trying to give scores to a console release was definitely kinda cringey - especially as at the time it was obvious that Sony had really learnt from the fuck up that was the PS3. And that was before they gave MS a masterclass in marketing a console at launch.

I also remember MS PR team having accounts on gaf trying to do damage control and all the amazing Eltorro gifs. Good times.
I think I recall that, weren't youtubers also being paid/sponsored but said absolutely nothing about it?

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
I hated both consoles at launch. They were rushed and just black boxes playing some very mediocre games. One of the worst launches ever.

And cannot believe they seemed rushed when they were coming out after 7/8 years... SMH

Dec 11, 2017
I think the new consoles will be an easier sell even if the launch games suck because they can fall back on "it makes all your old games look/run better".

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I think the new consoles will be an easier sell even if the launch games suck because they can fall back on "it makes all your old games look/run better".

We're at least going to have a new Halo at launch, which if you look at the launch games this gen, there wasn't a first party title that's close to it in terms of perception and popularity. And I know a lot people loved Killer Instinct. Would be smart for Microsoft to do a KI2 for launch.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not agreeing with a review doesn't mean they're wrong. For all intents and purposes the PS4 was a very safe product, the launch games were nothing special and for the first time (aside from the PS1 obviously) a Sony home console didn't have any backwards compatibility. Buying a PS4 day one wasn't necessarily gonna satisfy people, even though as the generation went by it clearly became an excellent choice. Xbox One had a stronger infrastructure from the start and had decent launch games, the real game drought started later. Kinect for games was pretty weak due to games not utilizing it, but voice commands and such were very convenient, and being able to snap a video, a stream, or in some case even another game to the sidebar was truly great - such a bummer they got rid of this feature ultimately.

I don't see anything outrageous in some press being fairly excited about the Xbox One's potential at launch and being unimpressed by the safe PS4. New hardware and ideas can explode (see the Wii or the Kinect 1.0 which broke all kinds of records), they can remain an interesting niche product (see VR), or flop miserably too (see the Virtual Boy). It was anybody's guess where the Xbox One's innovations would go, and as Microsoft was kinda forced to push out the Kinect, they had the rework the UI which was a mess without it. PS4 played it safe and after a year or so if unimpressive games it bounced back with some timeless classics, and while Microsoft was fumbling to get out games and redesigning the console, Sony laughed to the bank not having had to worry about much anymore: they had the better games, the cheaper and more powerful hardware, and no revolution was in sight, allowing them to focus on the real issues.

Again, I see nothing controversial about seeing more potential in Xbox One at the start, even with the weaker hardware and the higher price point. As a tech enthusiast I certainly saw more exciting things around Xbox One than PS4. That PS4 ended up having better games and outsell the X1 about 2-to-1 is a story that has a lot of chapters, not all related to the launch.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Fisrt year of PS4 was pretty terrible with really mediocre games all around... the console could have launched one year and four months later (Bloodborne) and nothing would have been lost.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
All I remember was Polygon being incredibly hardcore Xbox stans and begrudgingly has to place the PS4 - which took all the lessons from what the 360 did well - as "almost as good as" an Xbox1 - that took its lessons from what the PS3 did poorly. Not sure if Gies & Kuchera are still going there, but they didn't look too clever during all of this.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
I gotta say, I enjoy The Verge very much, but felt even at the time that they were projecting a little too much as what a gadget expert would want rather than a regular consumer wants with their PS4/XB1 reviews.

It reminded me a little bit of how old Edge/Next Gen reviews would focus more on whether a game was innovative rather than if it was actually fun (everyone remembers the Doom review). They're evaluating it from a set of criteria that doesn't actually match what the average person is looking for.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Came here expecting something much wilder. These are pretty tame.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, those are a lot tamer than I was expecting from the OP and title.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Fisrt year of PS4 was pretty terrible with really mediocre games all around... the console could have launched one year and four months later (Bloodborne) and nothing would have been lost.

Nah. This is from my last decade's statistics via True Trophies:

Q0SKYHj.jpg

I played more games in 2014 than ever before or after. About 20 games in total during the system's first year, of which some are my favorites of this gen, like Resogun and Driveclub.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
There was a huge bias towards Xbox at the start of the gen. PS4 was the better product, but wasn't hard to see

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Of course, not saying it would have been a good decision launching one year later. I meant it would be just the same for me, as consumer.

Business wise would have been stupid giving the advantage to your competition.

True. And I feel it was only this good will that kept the PS4 alive in that first year. The premise that it was cheaper and running better allowed them to gloss over the absolute dearth in first party action in the first year. Microsoft absolutely hit the ground running in that respect, but that is how they work - they absolutely nail the launch and then ease off the gas for the (assumed) presence of third party to fill the gap.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I definitely preferred the XB1 initially. The launch line up and first year exclusives were better and the impulse triggers felt a much cooler addition than the touchpad. Also, the snap in feature is something I actually used, and funnily enough I found kinects voice commands to be rather useful too.

Although admittedly the initial asking price for the XB1 with the forced kinect pack in wasn't a great idea.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
There was a huge bias towards Xbox at the start of the gen. PS4 was the better product, but wasn't hard to see
What on earth....It was the polar opposite. Sony were regarded as the patron saints of gaming, with a more powerful system and 'gamers first' philosophy, whilst the Xb1 might as well have been built by Satan.

The Xb1's only saving grace at the time was a stronger launch line-up, a more feature-complete OS, marketing rights to most of the major multi-plats, and the nnoveltyof Kinect (whatever that's worth). And while these initial advantages are reflected in the above 'launch reviews', the enormous sales disparity in the launch months is more than telling of the way the market (press included) was leaning

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviews weren't that wild at all. I enjoyed my Xbox at launch and actually miss the split screen feature. The launch price and forced bundle with Kinect was suicidal though.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
What on earth....It was the polar opposite. Sony were regarded as the patron saints of gaming, with a more powerful system and 'gamers first' philosophy, whilst the Xb1 might as well have been built by Satan.

They're talking about the media, not everyone else (where what you said was the perception)

I don't see anything outrageous in some press being fairly excited about the Xbox One's potential at launch and being unimpressed by the safe PS4.

The problem was supporting the overtly anti-consumer stuff (although at least a lot of that was removed on release), not so much the potentially interesting stuff.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
All I remember was Polygon being incredibly hardcore Xbox stans and begrudgingly has to place the PS4 - which took all the lessons from what the 360 did well - as "almost as good as" an Xbox1 - that took its lessons from what the PS3 did poorly. Not sure if Gies & Kuchera are still going there, but they didn't look too clever during all of this.

yeah the western press was embarrassingly bias at launch, ign too. I suspect the same will happen again.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
AC Black Flag and the Live from PlayStation app absolutely made that launch period for me.

Godspeed crazy ass guy dressed as Batman... wherever you are!