• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
A moment ago I decided to try out the XB1 HOTAS I picked up this week for Ace Combat 7 and see if it worked on H.A.W.X, a game that was one of the few on 360 to support flight sticks. I figured it'd be good to know for the AC6 BC thread if the stick was likely to work with that game ahead of time.

And work it did.
eTBBO21.png

This isn't some, "oh it's just an Xbox pad in a different shape so of course it works" situation either. Going into the options for H.A.W.X displays a HOTAS when pulling up the controls, the stick buttons that are not marked with an Xbox equivalent (such as the trigger) suddenly come to life vs how they are completely inactive when on the Xbox One dashboard. I don't know who is ultimately responsible for this, be it on the Xbox side or Thrustmaster, but they're a goddamn hero in my book.

Bring on all the BC flight games you can manage MS. I'm ready.

Oct 25, 2017
How good is that stick? I've half a mind to get one myself but not sure if that one is worth it or if I should get a proper hardcore PC one.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Think I pawned my hotas a few years back during a move, only ever used it briefly for Elite: Dangerous. This bit of info might sway me into getting one again. Does a regular PC Thrustmaster work on Xbox One or do you need to get the Xbox branded version?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wish 360 controllers worked natively on the system. There's still some games that I prefer with the older controller.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Think I pawned my hotas a few years back during a move, only ever used it briefly for Elite: Dangerous. This bit of info might sway me into getting one again. Does a regular PC Thrustmaster work on Xbox One or do you need to get the Xbox branded version?

You need the Xbox stick it seems. There's a toggle on the back to flip it to PC ready.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
MS cannot get enough praise for how it handles BC. Hopefully they force Sony to step up their game next gen.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder if Steel Battalion for Xbox (1) (and its controller, as some crazy exception) will ever make it to Back Compat.

Iamcenok

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for Ace combat..
I have the X360 ace combat flight stick, wonder if that would run on an XB1. 🤔

I know the OP's point is different than what I'm asking, but still.
MS' output for BC has been great.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This is going to be my first time diving into a Ace Combat. I've always had a interest in it but I tend to have the go big or go home mindset in that I would want to own a flight stick but the cost of everything together was always offputting enough to deter me. This means I'm planning on diving in head first this time. So which preorder game is better?

I can't wait for Ace combat..
I have the X360 ace combat flight stick, wonder if that would run on an XB1. 🤔

I know the OP's point is different than what I'm asking, but still.
MS' output for BC has been great.

HAWX can probably be had for $5 at a GameStop if you're willing to part

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
So Hori has a flight stick too... I wonder if it's any good and if it would work with BC games?

I wouldn't be surprised but with that 200 USD price someone else will have to check it out haha.

Getting ready for AC?

Yeah, first time jumping into the series beyond demo discs. With how much fun I'm having with HAWX I'm sure it'll be a blast.

This is going to be my first time diving into a Ace Combat. I've always had a interest in it but I tend to have the go big or go home mindset in that I would want to own a flight stick but the cost of everything together was always offputting enough to deter me. This means I'm planning on diving in head first this time. So which preorder game is better?

HAWX can probably be had for $5 at a GameStop if you're willing to part

AC5 seems the better regarded game.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if one were to buy the PS4 flight stick and use a PS4 to X1 brook adapter would you be able to play Ace Combat 6 (or HAWX) with it? Similarly could one buy the X1 flight stick and use a X1 to PS4 brook adapter to play Ace Combat 5? Also, is the same true of both companies (thrustmaster & hori) flight sticks?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if one were to buy the PS4 flight stick and use a PS4 to X1 brook adapter would you be able to play Ace Combat 6 (or HAWX) with it? Similarly could one buy the X1 flight stick and use a X1 to PS4 brook adapter to play Ace Combat 5? Also, is the same true of both companies (thrustmaster & hori) flight sticks?

We'll know soon enough. I'll be trying the HOTAS One on my PS4, provided you can buy AC5 at launch without AC7, with a converter. There should be remapping involved since AC5 used L1/R1 instead of L2/R2 for acceleration and deceleration but hopefully it works.

HAWX is a great game.

Do it.

I haven't had this much fun with a flight game since Rogue Squadron.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Just a quick note: the stick shown in the HAWX control menu looks to be the Saitek Aviator which had a switch for two different control schemes depending on the game played. Looking online it seems the split was between the Blazing Angels games (mode 2) and HAWX/AC6 (mode 1), guess that gives a hopeful impression that AC6, since the base controls match HAWX, will also work out of the gate on XB1.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
No luck with Ace Combat 6. The buttons works but the throttle and stick movement don't so it's a wash.

Hopefully support comes down the pipe later on.

Oct 25, 2017
My brother ended up ordering that HOTAS, if it ends up being good I can see myself downloading a bunch of flight sims on Steam.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad we have HOTAS fans here on Era.

Make me wonder what the folks who will be playing AC7 on PC will go with as their main control scheme? Keyboard and mouse just don't go well with (space) flightsims, IMO, as they lack that "simulation" feel.

Also I wonder if you can use the Steel Batallion controller with this game.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Cool beans. I'm hopeful they'll add support the big button controllers at some point, along with bc for scene it, etc

I imagine licensing will keep that game off BC. I remember it having a bunch of movie clips in it.

Also I wonder if you can use the Steel Batallion controller with this game.

Unless it's an Xbox One accessory it won't work on the console. Even if it did you wouldn't want the SB controller for Ace Combat, the right stick only moves horizontally.