• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'm guessing nothing today, seeing as xCloud was announced yesterday? Seems to be the way these things go.

I love the BC programme - and I still have a list of stuff I want - but it feels like it's been a while since I got a title I was interested in. Yes, I know it's not all about me :D

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Wait, they're giving up on BC??? It's like the best thing Xbox has going for it. That would be heartbreaking. Also, I thought they had data that BC games were being played a lot, and selling well?

Some random forum poster giving a shitty hot take is no reason to get all crazy. Jeeez. Microsoft is clearly dedicated to BC, they have been releasing stuff regularly. Talk about overreaction. Wow.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Regular = BC games
Extra = 4K improvements on BC games (moving those efforts to the xCloud thing)

My guess.
That would be disappointing, but the most important thing to me is just having access to the games on X1, so I could live with that tbh.

Some random forum poster giving a shitty hot take is no reason to get all crazy. Jeeez. Microsoft is clearly dedicated to BC, they have been releasing stuff regularly. Talk about overreaction. Wow.
I felt the same way seeing comments before, but now I don't really know what to think. They are right in that things have quieted/slowed down. It just reminds me a lot of what happened with PS2 Classics on PS4. Sony put them out there, everything seemed great, and then Sony went quiet on the whole thing, and then the games just stopped coming... Just like Xbox now it seems. It feels like Deja Vu to me. :(

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
This has been like the best year for BC. At least in my eyes. I'm assuming nothing dropped last week because of Forza.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
arguing about "best games" is pointless because thats subjective

the best game for me was spelunky because i played the hell out of it. doubt its going to beat RDR or CoD in any discussion

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I would love to see Ace Combat 6 added, with One x support and a way to purchase the game again ;)
X support for AC6 is not confirmed by any means.
Wait, they're giving up on BC? It's like the best thing Xbox has going for it. That would be heartbreaking. Also, I thought they had data that BC games were being played a lot, and selling well?
I did not say they were giving up, I'm just saying it looks like the majority of their efforts have shifted towards a different Xbox business. They are not giving up on BC its just that the output has slowed down this year and new OG Xbox and 4K enhancements have not been released in over 6 months now, without them giving any mention about if they are still coming.
This was by no means a 'shitty hot take'. Its a fact the output has slowed down starkly compared to the last few years, as is evidenced by a thread I made a while back. Add the fact that we haven't seen a new OG Xbox or 4K 360 game in over 6 months now, with none of the Xbox team members giving any indication there will be new ones in the future is also worrying. The recent CloudX announcement with Bill Stillwell in the video (head of BC) is also not a good sign, which is why I said the team may be shifting towards the cloud business, rather than the BC program. I'm not saying they are giving up on BC, rather stating the current state its in which is not all that great. This can totally change with XO18 around the corner, and I want more BC and OG and 4K just as much as you do, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions until then. But if they don't mention BC at XO than its pretty clear to see they are not focussing on BC anymore. Releases will still come but not that often and 4K 360 and OG Xbox games are probably a thing of the past.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My reaction each time I see this thread popping up ^^
IgMyx.gif

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been nice to get a timeframe on the next wave of OG Xbox games, but it hasn't actually been that long since the last batch compared to the time between the first and second wave of releases (175 days vs 165 days respectively).

Would be great to see it happen at XO next month. The streaming initiative goes hand-in-hand with this as a decent amount of BC games are/would only be available through that service if you didn't own an Xbox console.

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
If they don't give any sign of BC or 4K enhanced at XO18 then I think the ship has pretty much sailed and Microsoft have moved on to other things, like the cloud stuff. It would be very disappointing but maybe they have data showing they are not really making a lot of money from BC or something, to make them realize its not one of the top prioirties to spend their manpower and resources on. Thats not something we would like to hear but its something to take into account when looking at the future.

The fact Microsoft haven't even talked about BC at big pressers like E3, Gamescom, PAX, TGS (outside of the first announcement) is not a very assuring thing either. Still though, I would not like to right on this, but I'm keeping my expectations and hype levels in check until Microsoft gives me a clear sign and commitment of them continuing BC and 4K enhancements for the future.

BC is entirely at the mercy of publishers of those games. There's no amount of effort that will get some games on BC, and we'll likely never hear which games fall in that camp (it's not good for businesses trying to work together if one of them goes "we'd love to do X, but the dicks over there won't go for it.").

4K enhanced stuff, I get, but BC is just something that you have to put pressure on the right folks. People keep asking MS for certain titles, but they should be going after the publishers of those games.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It would have been nice to get a timeframe on the next wave of OG Xbox games, but it hasn't actually been that long since the last batch compared to the time between the first and second wave of releases (175 days vs 165 days respectively).

Would be great to see it happen at XO next month. The streaming initiative goes hand-in-hand with this as a decent amount of BC games are/would only be available through that service if you didn't own an Xbox console.
I think the big concern right is not when, but if more OG Xbox games will happen at all. There haven't been any in a really long time. You are right however, that BC games would make great additions to a streaming service. Hell, old games are PS Now's bread and butter. Phil Spencer even namedropped Red Dead Redemption specifically when talking about the service.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I think the big concern right is not when, but if more OG Xbox games will happen at all.

That's fair but we had almost half a year between the first and second waves of OG Xbox titles. If we don't hear anything by the end of the year I'll happily speculate as to the future of those releases but, at the moment, I don't think it's too concerning yet.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
BC is entirely at the mercy of publishers of those games. There's no amount of effort that will get some games on BC, and we'll likely never hear which games fall in that camp (it's not good for businesses trying to work together if one of them goes "we'd love to do X, but the dicks over there won't go for it.").

4K enhanced stuff, I get, but BC is just something that you have to put pressure on the right folks. People keep asking MS for certain titles, but they should be going after the publishers of those games.
Sure, and I think everyone here understands that. What is being questioned is MS's commitment to the program itself. Like, look at PS Classics on PS4 or Virtual Console on Switch. Both were dropped like it was nothing. These companies seem so fickle about retro stuff, and sure MS has been great about this the last few years, but maybe things are changing now? Idk man, just feeling doubtful about the direction of this now.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That's fair but we had almost half a year between the first and second waves of OG Xbox titles. If we don't hear anything by the end of the year I'll happily speculate as to the future of those releases but, at the moment, I don't think it's too concerning yet.
I really hope so! I want to be hopeful, but the competition's current approach to legacy content has made me jaded I suppose, lol.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The following Xbox 360 games are now compatible on Xbox One:

-Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 HD

This now makes the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection fully playable on Xbox One with both discs.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Aww shit. Now what does the community have left to ask for? They got their Modern Warfares and now this.

Original Xbox opened up a pandora's box of weird-and-unlikely (but cool) titles, but they've hit the lion's share of the big guns. I never would have believed this much of the 360 library would be covered when BC was announced.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just went and bought a new copy off Amazon for $20, fuck yeah.

Aww shit. Now what does the community have left to ask for? They got their Modern Warfares and now this.

Ninja Gaiden 2, Max Payne 3, LEGO: Lord of the Rings and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning are the only games left that I'm still waiting for.

Jan 2, 2018
Glad for everyone who waited for this. I have the collection on PS3,plus the 360 version isn't available to purchase in my country's marketplace,as usual... but I'm still happy because this is one less game they can announce before finally adding The Darkness and NG2 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.