• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkCloud12X

Oct 27, 2017
in the first half of 2019 we will have 5 classic Final Fantasy games, KH3, and Tales of Vesperia...this is clearly the year of the RPG. You know what to do Microsoft.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I wasn't even aware we needed a new thread. Lol. The OP looks amazing, MauroNL!
Can't wait to break this thread in with new games!
223 pages within 15 months is a hell of a run. Curious, though, as to what prompted opening a second OT. Good work, per usual, MauroNL.
I'll repost this file EvB posted from the final page. Here's to more of these arriving soon.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1No4QV8cBti5JZeuaVnAQdqyNiQswVA9BATjElSvf0bA/
Well, the owner of the old thread Kaironaut asked me if I wanted to make a new thread, as he had no interest or time to keep the OP updated so I figured why not. This way we'll always have a up to date OP.
Waittttt, is Ninja Gaiden 2 really never coming? Is there a licensing issue or something or is it just a joke in the OP?
A very true joke

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still clinging to hope that Universal, Ubisoft, and Bryan Lee O'Malley will come together to pull off a miracle and rerelease Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game.

It's one of those things I'd literally cry over if we got it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Great work as always, MauroNL!

I personally hope Enslaved, Majin, Lost Planet, Dust: An Elysian Tale, Nier, Too Human, Ninja Gaiden II (cough) will make it. Some are more likely than others, but then I never thought Kingdoms of Amalur can be made backwards compatible.

Nov 5, 2017
It's a shame we don't have a recent Don-Mattrick-esque quote for the thread title due to devs realising it's something people want.

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sort of expecting very few OG Xbox games going forward. Thinking of a list ones that don't have huge licensing issues is hard. It must be harder and harder to go back that far because so many devs are now defunct.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm sort of expecting very few OG Xbox games going forward. Thinking of a list ones that don't have huge licensing issues is hard. It must be harder and harder to go back that far because so many devs are now defunct.
Yes, its certainly interesting how it will develop going forward. I have a feeling its a lot harder for console games as well, since there are so many classic games available on PC on platforms like GOG and Steam, games that are usually far older than most OG Xbox games. Its quite odd that you can buy games like Alan Wake on PC everywhere but not on Xbox 360/One, and thats just one example.

I hope someone from Microsoft or in publishing will ever shed some light on how these things work and what problems they generally face as to why certain games are held back.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Xbox Original didn't have as many XBLA games, had a shorter lifespan, had a relatively small marketshare, etc. which means there's already a lot less games to pick up from. Then take out all games with licensed music, cars, players, etc. which practically eliminated every sports game, nearly all driving games, music games, etc.. Of course take out everything related to movies or TV shows or whatnot, where they very likely bought the license for a limited time. Plus there's plenty of games where the studios and publishers involved are long gone by now. All in all it's possible there's like a total of 100-200 games at best that are actually even remotely plausible for backwards compatibility, and of course the numbers go down as more time goes by given the things I mentioned above. I'm pretty sure MS will do their best to release everything they published themselves (what makes sense at least, eg. not sure they'd bother to bring the first Forza at this point given the expensive licenses), even if it costs them a bit of licensing again at least it's all on them, not on third parties. But anything from outside of MS is always going to be more difficult than 360 games from 6-8 years ago.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
My wishlist for this year, with all the games that seem like no hopers like the Cave shooters and Wolfenstein 2009 stripped out:

aWD2lFG.png

Really hoping for a simultaneous digital+BC release of Nier the most.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Asura's Wrath just randomly dropped to $5, and the extra episodes pack is now $3.49. Sale prices usually hit on Monday night so this is too random if you ask me. We might see it on Inside Xbox along with a 4K patch, and maybe some other games. It also lines up with other previous patterns on EvilBoris' list. Not sure though, so don't quote me on that.

Killer is Dead is now $3.99 (BC), Bionic Commando Re-armed 1 is $2.49, 2 is $5.99 (BC) and Might No. 9 is $3.99.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Asura's Wrath just randomly dropped to $5, and the extra episodes pack is now $3.49. Sale prices usually hit on Monday night so this is to random if you ask me. We might see it on Inside Xbox along with a 4K patch, and maybe some other games. Not sure though, so don't quote me on that.

Killer is Dead is now $3.99 (BC), Bionic Commando Re-armed 1 is $2.49, 2 is $5.99 (BC) and Might No. 9 is $3.99.
I believe it's all part of MS's Anime month sale.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
both versions (X1 and X360) are 4 bucks, but it doesn't look like the 360 version is back compat so maybe don't buy that version if you're looking to play it on your Xbox One. (neither is Bionic Commando Re-Armed 1)

I'm holding out for Games with Gold. I bet it will be one of the free games between now and 2020.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wishlist:

Halo 1 & 2
Otogi 1 & 2
Ninja Blade
Ninja Gaiden II
Tomb Raider & Rise of the TR

Please Microsoft BC team.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Is there any list of bc games not available digitally? I just picked up RUSE and Too Human (just in case) and been wondering if there are any other great disc only games I should look out for.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Eternal Sonata
Prototype 1/2
Splinter Cell:DA (original)
From Dust
probably a few more

The size of that list of BC games is amazing. Just had to keep scrolling and scrolling.

Jan 13, 2018
Holding out hope for Space Invaders Extreme - I bought it back when Space Invaders: Infinity Gene went BC, thinking it would be next up. Still waitin'. 😳

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
How accurate has the Games In Testing list been for predicting releases? Any recent surprises?

Lots of great stuff on that list, but it makes me sad to see Deathsmiles (has a Steam port) instead of Cave's many other 360 exclusives.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Could have asked me to update it :P
And let you take all the credit? Never! :P
Is there any list of bc games not available digitally? I just picked up RUSE and Too Human (just in case) and been wondering if there are any other great disc only games I should look out for.
I will try and add this when I have some time to do this. Was thinking of doing this when I made the OP but it requires some more work than I thought.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Could have asked me to update it :P
Out of curiosity, do you think you could update the title every Thursday with newly announced games, like we do in the TV cancellation thread every time a show's been cancelled? Or do you think we should just make a new thread every time significant games are announced?

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Gears 2 and 3 show how insane Unreal Engine 3 still looks if you bump it up to 4K. Given how many games used that engine last-gen, if most of them received the same treatment we'd be in for what is basically 4K Remaster quality.

I played those in December. Im salty that neither Gears 1 nor the Ultimate edition of 1 run at 4K. After going through Gears 2, Gears 3 and Gears 4 in 4K (and HDR the last one), Gears 1 looks like shit.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played those in December. Im salty that neither Gears 1 nor the Ultimate edition of 1 run at 4K. After going through Gears 2, Gears 3 and Gears 4 in 4K (and HDR the last one), Gears 1 looks like shit.
Truth be told, both need to happen for preservation's' sake. X enhance 360 Gears 1 and Xbox One Ultimate Edition.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why Ubisoft doesn't seem to think that putting Trials Evolution on BC would be a good way to generate a bit of hype for Trials Rising. Unless they fear people will just stick to the awesome old game and not get the new one? Then again, they have a few weeks left to positively surprise me.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yeah it's also really weird that MS didn't enhance Gears 1 first. I wonder if there are more technical limitations with enhancing games to 4K than we realise. After all, it's easy to do a resolution bump in an emulator, but then they need to do extensive testing and iron out any weird graphical glitches etc. The 360 games that are 4K enhanced are flawless in my experience, so quality is clearly a priority.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
Every week I check for Alpha Protocol and Binary Domain. Every week I leave disappointed with access to some Lego or CoD game I'll never play.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I so wish Bizarre Creations was still around, I'd love to be able to play PGR3 and 4 on XB1.

He'll I would love them even more for PGR2, I was hooked on that even more than the sequels.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, do you think you could update the title every Thursday with newly announced games, like we do in the TV cancellation thread every time a show's been cancelled? Or do you think we should just make a new thread every time significant games are announced?
I'm not sure how well it would fit in the title but I can certainly try it out a few times!

HumanSmoke

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Are we ever going to get Tony Hawk Project 8?

Or is the music it has holding it back ?

I miss skateboarding