• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

willbsn

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't some of the old Rockstar games like GTA Vice City Stories, LC Stories, Max Payne 2, Midnight Club 3 etc get rated on the ESRB board for the PS2 Classics program but never actually came?

Maybe some of these could be some of the OG games.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spending one minute of time on that shit working for the XB1 emulator is one minute of time that could be spent on literally anything else.

But yea sure I guess. Let's keep begging for known trash games lol.
LOL. Nah, The BC team works on what can be done at the moment but prioritize most wanted/higher rated games.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Their goal is to get as many games backward compatible as possible, and they are doing that as you can see from some unusual choices. "Shit and unusual or pointless games" means there's a higher chance of that personal hidden gem you like becoming compatible, it's not all about the best games.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Jet Set Radio Future
MechAssault 1 & 2

That's all that's left on my wish list at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm incredibly excited to see what BC news we will get for Inside Xbox. I've been holding off on replaying a few 360 games in hopes that they will be X enhanced some day. Fingers crossed for Mass Effect trilogy, Alan Wake, and Rare's games getting the X treat.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Jet Set Radio Future
MechAssault 1 & 2

That's all that's left on my wish list at this point.

Huge MechAssault fan here. But they're pointless without online. The SP would be nice nostalgia for about ten minutes and then boring as hell.
I'm incredibly excited to see what BC news we will get for Inside Xbox. I've been holding off on replaying a few 360 games in hopes that they will be X enhanced some day. Fingers crossed for Mass Effect trilogy, Alan Wake, and Rare's games getting the X treat.
Alan Wake May never happen because they lost the music licensing and had to pull it from the stores. PC got relicensed, but to my knowledge, it was not relicensed for console. At least not yet, and who knows if it's worth the effort for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Huge MechAssault fan here. But they're pointless without online. The SP would be nice nostalgia for about ten minutes and then boring as hell.

Alan Wake May never happen because they lost the music licensing and had to pull it from the stores. PC got relicensed, but to my knowledge, it was not relicensed for console. At least not yet, and who knows if it's worth the effort for them.
Interesting. I remember seeing the tweet from Remedy saying the game was back on Steam thanks to Microsoft, and other stores/platforms would follow shortly. I didn't realize it was never put back on Xbox. It's strange considering Microsoft was the one who relicensed the music.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

It was Microsoft who paid to get the game relisted on PC stores, so if there's a will, there's a way.

I'd love to see Nier enhanced. I haven't played it yet, and I've been avoiding it since I'm hoping for those enhancements.

Oct 27, 2017
It was Microsoft who paid to get the game relisted on PC stores, so if there's a will, there's a way.

I'd love to see Nier enhanced. I haven't played it yet, and I've been avoiding it since I'm hoping for those enhancements.

I adore Nier, but I'm skeptical if any enhancements could reinvigorate that game's visuals given that it's rather bare in visual detail and textures. There isn't a lot of detail or unique textures that potentially could be raised into prominence unlike other games.

When and if El-Shaddai gets enhanced, boy oh boy, I won't know what to do with myself. Enslaved could be another one that stuns with an enhancement.

More generally, any of the games from that generation that weren't ever ported to PC would be the ones to benefit most of all from any X enhancements, I think.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I adore Nier, but I'm skeptical if any enhancements could reinvigorate that game's visuals given that it's rather bare in visual detail and textures. There isn't a lot of detail or unique textures that potentially could be raised into prominence unlike other games.

Better image quality would be welcome nevertheless, and just making it BC would improve performance, texture filtering, and loading times. I'll take anything.

More generally, any of the games from that generation that weren't ever ported to PC would be the ones to benefit most of all from any X enhancements, I think.

That's been debated before, and while it may be technically true from the game preservation standpoint, no consensus has ever been reached. This thread is specifically about Xbox One BC, and whether some games are already available elsewhere in superior form is of little consequence to a lot of people who will not play them on other platforms. Personally, I would hate for that to be the guiding principle in choosing which games to enhance.

Oct 27, 2017
Better image quality would be welcome nevertheless, and just making it BC would improve performance, texture filtering, and loading times. I'll take anything.

That's been debated before, and while it may be technically true from the game preservation standpoint, no consensus has ever been reached. This thread is specifically about Xbox One BC, and whether some games are already available elsewhere in superior form is of little consequence to a lot of people who will not play them on other platforms. Personally, I would hate for that to be the guiding principle in choosing which games to enhance.

I totally understand, personal preference should be each individual's number one priority, but I've found the greatest contribution of the ongoing progress of backwards compatibility has been in preservation, an area that's become more and more precarious with every passing year and which will be increasingly precarious in the years to come.

I think more from the perspective of someone who might not currently be interested in a certain game but might be down the line. Should that game be playable outside of consoles but never become compatible on Xbox, I at least am able to experience it someplace while something that's entirely been tied to that generation which never becomes compatible might quickly be inaccessible to me very soon. In that sense, it isn't only preservation as a utilitarian goal, one which benefit others rather than myself, but it leaves open the possibility of rewarding me equally.

It's those games that aren't available in a superior form elsewhere like El Sheddai or Asura's Wrath or Blur or NG2 etc. that, for the foreseeable future, require backwards compatibility to be in an enhanced form at all and is the gift of backwards compatibility which is most valuable for me.

Also, for those that might be wishing to play a game on Xbox One that has taken too long to arrive, the initial preference to play on Xbox might waver, and naturally too, when the option to play a superior version exists before it or after it becomes compatible. Speaking for myself, I'd find little reason to wait around for Max Payne 3 to become compatible if tomorrow a new Steam version with all the bells and whistles come out. And I don't think I would speaking necessarily for myself either since like potentially several people in this thread, I don't strictly play games on Xbox One, despite this being an Xbox One BC thread.

Shit, this post went on a bit longer than I originally thought.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
No no, I'll join you.

Never played it the first go around and I've had a curious interest in seeing it for a while. Also being an Aliens fan I'll always look out for an excuse to give something a shot and wind up massively disappointed for bothering.
I'll die with you on this hill.
The only reason I stand with you is for the sake of preserving the history mankind's mistakes so that future generations aren't doomed to repeat them.
Therearedozensofus.gif

Its problems are glaring, but I still kinda enjoyed it as an Aliens fan. I still have my CE copy ready and waiting for Xbox to do their thing : )

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
The best summary I ever read about ACM was "It's ok if you got it for cheap and just want too shoot some aliens for a while" at the £5 I payed for it, that's an accurate summary.
I paid £15 for the CE about 3 weeks after launch (price dropped like a rock almost immediately). If you're an Aliens fan like me its actually one of the better CE's out there as you get a pretty sweet figurine and some great little geeky extras thrown in like your own Colonial Marines pass out certificate and sew on badge : )

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Wowzers. Thanks to PlayStation Now, I've been reminded of another little gem that I had forgotten about - WET. Does anyone remember this? It's a console exclusive so isn't on PC. MS need to add it to BC.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm really hoping for the day when we get a drop of amazing Japanese games.

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'll probably just buy an OG Xbox or PS2 and play Burnout 3 on one of those. I've been hoping for a Burnout 3 announcement ever since OG Xbox BC games were announced and Burnout Revenge became backwards compatible.

But we haven't gotten anything new in regards to OG Xbox games and the BC announcements have been getting sparse it seems.

Gauntlet Dark Legacy is another OG Xbox title that I has hoping would become BC but that one has a less than 0% chance.

When it comes to OG Xbox BC, I just consider them special bonuses. Outside the big titles, my expectation from the jump was there was never going to be a big effort to get a large amount of OG Xbox's catalog and I believe they've said as much. A majority of my favorite Xbox and Xbox 360 games are niche exclusives and I am happy to just have gotten some of them for BC, that's about all I expect at this point.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to OG Xbox BC, I just consider them special bonuses. Outside the big titles, my expectation from the jump was there was never going to be a big effort to get a large amount of OG Xbox's catalog and I believe they've said as much. A majority of my favorite Xbox and Xbox 360 games are niche exclusives and I am happy to just have gotten some of them for BC, that's about all I expect at this point.
Don't front Black Man, I know you want them OG Xbox Kingdom under Fire games to go BC. LOL

Feb 27, 2019

Agreed. Not expecting many more of these, and I imagine they are difficult for reasons both of emulation and (moreso) of licensing. Maybe it'll get to 75-100 OG Xbox games playable via backward compatibility eventually?

That said, like I mentioned in the IX April thread, I'm continuing to stan for Timesplitters 2 & 3 being added to the OG Xbox backward compatible list. Would instantly buy both of those digitally—it'd be so great to have them playable on a modern console. (I had the Gamecube versions back in the day and lost my save files multiple times...) But I know it's a niche (though cult) title, so it might not happen. Still, now that it's owned by THQ Nordic, maybe it's possible...?

It sure is awesome having SSX 3 playable on XB1, though.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aliens: CM has that arthritic Alien shuffling around like an old man and it is unintentionally one of the funniest moments in all of gaming.

That must be preserved. :)

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I paid £15 for the CE about 3 weeks after launch (price dropped like a rock almost immediately). If you're an Aliens fan like me its actually one of the better CE's out there as you get a pretty sweet figurine and some great little geeky extras thrown in like your own Colonial Marines pass out certificate and sew on badge : )

Yup. The game was a crusty old chode but I still have that power loader figurine on my shelf.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Watching the Masters right now makes me wish the old Tiger Woods games with Augusta were on BC. I'm sure its a rights thing with the Courses/Equipment/Players, but since EA has done nothing close to what those games were it would be nice to go back and have some fun playing Augusta again!