• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't wait. I hope it's live for everyone by Black Friday/Christmas! I also hope there is an option to buy but not 'send' the gift until a certain date (ie. buy it black Friday, but have it sent Christmas day)

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
It's even better that they give you the code, too. This is gonna make game trading a whole lot more easier and code reselling cheaper

Beans

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My friend has an awfully long backlog I intend on gifting him any game which is on sale for a couple £'s hope he's ready.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants to randomly buy me either Assassins Creed Origins or Wolfenstein 2 to test it, thanks in advance. ;)

Great feature though. Handy for birthdays etc.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
I think this is going to be pretty superfluous for a lot of people because third party marketplaces (that aren't unlicensed key resellers) will always have cheaper prices.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Nice, I'll keep an eye on this during sales. I friends/family that pay no attention to sales specials. Might get to put this to use.

OP
OP
Silky

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I think this is going to be pretty superfluous for a lot of people because third party marketplaces (that aren't unlicensed key resellers) will always have cheaper prices.

There isn't even a 3rd Party marketplace for digital Xbox games. The codes solds are like shit from console bundles.

This will jumpstart those retailers.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Those Xbox Creators games that are like $1 seem like prime candidates as joke gifts.

Takeru

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this feature is long overdue considering that you could do it on the original Wii. You can do it for the Wii U and 3DS but you have to do it through the website IIRC....but then the feature isn't possible on the Switch. Why is it so hard? Giving points it's tacky, tbf.

Good job on Xbox One finally having the option. Now Sony needs to follow through. Anyway, if anyone of you wants a guinea pig for this feature, I'm definitely down. :P I'll PM you my GT.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I would like not only game gifting where you have to purchase a new game but with games of your library too! That would be awesome in my opinion.

Spitz

Oct 27, 2017
This feature makes two-factor authentication and a strong password the only way to go if you have a payment option in your account.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
There are a handful of rules and restrictions currently in place for digital gifting:

• Users can gift select Xbox One games, downloadable content (DLC), and subscriptions (Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass)
• Gifting of "durable" game DLC (map packs, weapon skins, etc.) is supported, but the gifting of "consumable" game DLC (virtual currency, etc.) is not supported.
• When a particular item is discounted, users are allowed to send two (2) gifts of that item every fourteen (14) days. The 14-day clock starts once the first copy is purchased at discount. Once the limit for that item is reached, users will not be able to purchase that item again as a gift until the 14-day period is over, even if the product is no longer discounted.
• Users are allowed to send ten (10) total gifts at discount every 14 days. There are no limits on items that are at full price.
• Not all Xbox One games are available for gifting, including some XPA titles.
• Xbox 360 backward compatible games and consumable DLC (such as virtual currency) are not eligible for gifting.
• Pre-ordered games and pre-ordered durable DLC are not eligible for gifting.
• Digital codes can only be redeemed in the country/region where they were purchased.
• Refunds for digital gifts are not supported, nor can entitlements for content or subscriptions be transferred once redeemed.
• Please see the gifting terms and conditions as well as the Microsoft Store terms and conditions for a full list of policies.
Digital codes can only be redeemed in the country/region where they were purchased.

This is pretty shit. So if I wanted to gift a game I can only gift to people from UK? I understand why but I feel like they should be less restrictive across Europe UK and USA where the prices aren't much different.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome feature, MS is really hitting all the right notes lately when it comes to console functionality and features. EA Access, Game Pass, free backwards compatibility with 2 gens and upgrades, now game gifting. Bring it!

Oct 27, 2017
Its good that this is now a feature but I do wonder why it has taken so long to implement, and why Playstation still does not have it? Its been on Steam for years and seems like a simple concept that would generate a lot of business for the platforms.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There are a handful of rules and restrictions currently in place for digital gifting:

• Users can gift select Xbox One games, downloadable content (DLC), and subscriptions (Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass)
• Gifting of "durable" game DLC (map packs, weapon skins, etc.) is supported, but the gifting of "consumable" game DLC (virtual currency, etc.) is not supported.
• When a particular item is discounted, users are allowed to send two (2) gifts of that item every fourteen (14) days. The 14-day clock starts once the first copy is purchased at discount. Once the limit for that item is reached, users will not be able to purchase that item again as a gift until the 14-day period is over, even if the product is no longer discounted.
• Users are allowed to send ten (10) total gifts at discount every 14 days. There are no limits on items that are at full price.
• Not all Xbox One games are available for gifting, including some XPA titles.
• Xbox 360 backward compatible games and consumable DLC (such as virtual currency) are not eligible for gifting.
• Pre-ordered games and pre-ordered durable DLC are not eligible for gifting.
• Digital codes can only be redeemed in the country/region where they were purchased.
• Refunds for digital gifts are not supported, nor can entitlements for content or subscriptions be transferred once redeemed.
• Please see the gifting terms and conditions as well as the Microsoft Store terms and conditions for a full list of policies.

This is pretty shit. So if I wanted to gift a game I can only gift to people from UK? I understand why but I feel like they should be less restrictive across Europe UK and USA where the prices aren't much different.

All these restrictions make it seem far less awesome I must say. But I can kiiiiiiiiinda see why they're there? Still sucks though.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
All these restrictions make it seem far less awesome I must say. But I can kiiiiiiiiinda see why they're there? Still sucks though.
Only the must be used in same country is bad I think the rest was expected. That one should definitely be changed though, or at least limited to countries where games are far cheaper.

It hurts it's impact unless you live in America really. I've got a lot of mates from America/Europe that I would gift the odd game here and there but now I can't do that. Codes from bundles or whatever aren't even region locked so I find it strange these are.

How does steam handle gifting? If it's the same way then there might be some laws against it.

Outlaw Torn

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be out of preview. I am seeing a "Buy as Gift" option on the store website when not signed in.