• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I got MonHun on launch day and excitedly tore into it, wanting to start hunting as quickly as possible. Turned my Day One Xbox on, popped the disc in and...nothing. It's like the drive didn't recognize a disc was in there. I ejected it and tried again. No change. I did a hard reset on my system, then tried again. Nothing. Wondering if it's the disc, I grabbed Skyrim off the shelf and popped it in. Again, nothing. I then tried Doom, and it read. Tried MonHun, nothing. Hard rebooted the system again, popped the disc in, and it finally read it and started installing. All was well until my kid tossed in Madden last Monday. When I tried going back to MonHun, I encountered the problem again. This time, I listened when the disc inserted, and noticed the drive made a loud buzzing sound, tried reading a couple times, then went silent.

Anyone else have this problem? Is the drive dying? Does it just need some canned air sprayed at it?

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
This will sound weird but has worked for me, and I recognise exactly the issue you're talking about. That buzzing sound is horrifying the first time you hear it. My solution:

Partly insert the disc, but hold on to it for about a second, until you feel the system pulling it in much faster, and let go. It should skip that buzzing sound and you should hear the system start reading the disc.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
This will sound weird but has worked for me, and I recognise exactly the issue you're talking about. That buzzing sound is horrifying the first time you hear it. My solution:

Partly insert the disc, but hold on to it for about a second, until you feel the system pulling it in much faster, and let go. It should skip that buzzing sound and you should hear the system start reading the disc.
Uhhh if you try this... try it with a blank CD or something.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017

Yep, can confirm this works.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017

Literally had this problem/fix with my Day-1 Edition and still works now.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Yes same thing started happening to my OG Xbox One last year. So annoying, it would take 10-20 times to inserting the disc in different ways to finally get it to read. Saw on Youtube a quick fix - holding the disc partially in for like a second and then letting the Xbox 'grab' it (same as what the above poster suggested) which sometimes worked for me but still not good enough.

Ended up just buying an X.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
This happens to me every so often. Hard reset usually works for me though...

If not, I play a digital game and say I am buying a One X tomorrow then don't.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I once had a similar problem with my PS2, so the solution might not be applicable here, but you might as well give it a shot. One day the drive just stopped reading discs, and after a bit of googling, I found the (really peculiar) solution. The trick was to try loading as many different supported disc formats as possible (music CDs, DVD films, PS1 games, CD and DVD-based PS2 games). What finally fixed it for me was Ico, an early CD-based PS2 game, and I've never had any issues after that.

OP
OP
Deadpool_X

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Yes same thing started happening to my OG Xbox One last year. So annoying, it would take 10-20 times to inserting the disc in different ways to finally get it to read. Saw on Youtube a quick fix - holding the disc partially in for like a second and then letting the Xbox 'grab' it (same as what the above poster suggested) which sometimes worked for me but still not good enough.

Ended up just buying an X.

I'm starting to lean toward trying to convince my wife to let me get an X. If I tell her my Xbox is starting to die and I need a new one, it's a whole lot easier to convince her than wanting to trade up when I have a working system.

Literally had this problem/fix with my Day-1 Edition and still works now.

Did you only have to do it 1 time, or each time you put in a disc?

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
My OG Xbox One started doing that after a couple of years of use, but I wasn't overly concerned because I was always going to upgrade to an X.

I think it may be dust that is causing the issue, though.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

This def works whenever my Xbox descide to NOT read disks.

90% the time disks just work, that last 10% i just do this and no issues.

Think its just old age....day one Xbox One here.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any chance you are standing your console vertically?

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
you only have to do it 1 time, or each time you put in a disc?
It's been so intermittent I don't even class it as an issue, especially after discovering the fix myself back in about 2014. It's almost as if the motor in the drive doesn't realise it needs to spin up until it's forced to grab the disc.