• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
I am looking to get an Xbox one s. I have a PS4 pro. My TV only offers 4k on one HDMI port. Would I be able to pass through 4k/hdr from the PS4 through the Xbox one s? Or would I have to get a splitter or switch or something?

Side question: does the HDMI passthrough work when the Xbox is off or only when it is on? That would probably determine if I need a HDMI switch or not, actually.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Get a splitter or a switch the xbox one s hdmi pass through adds input lag which is fine for a cable box but not if you intend to use it for gaming.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
If i'm understanding correctly, while yes you would be able to pass-through the 4k from your PS4 through the One S, it may case a bit of input lag which may not be worth it. You'd probably be better off getting a splitter to eliminate that.

Answer to your side question, yes the xbox must be on in order for the HDMI passthrough to work since you''ll need to have the Xbox TV app open to see the inputed video.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried this once with my Wii U passing into Xbox. It added too much input lag to be worth it. I'd just look at an HDMI switcher instead.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Def don't use your Xbox One passthrough for gaming, as has been stated here numerous times already. I too have been burned by it and its input lag.