• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think V2 is?

• A new SKU for Xbox One S

Votes: 102 44.5%
  • Placeholder for Xbox Series S/Lockhart

Votes: 127 55.5%

• Total voters

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

A lot of speculation on what it could be. Could be anything from a new design, to a bundle item, or even just the regular system but with the new controller (Would explain the Robot White Controller leak if there's no White XSX to go along with that).

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
3a0.gif

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
A bundle with a Xbox One S + a V2 car engine. Sold in the Automotive section.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if One S is staying at $299, Series S is gonna be $399, and Series X will take One X's spot at $499.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'll redesign it to the Series X design like they did with 360 and Xbox One. (I doubt it)

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Am I the only one that finds it bizzare? So what price is the XSS going to retail at?

Mar 23, 2018
Could this be the Series S? Just the product name is still a temp one? Would make sense calling the Series S the "One S V2" since thats kind of what it is. $299 seems cheap for series S though. But maybe that's their way to show Sony up.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The One S goes for sub-200 prices all the time. I'm guessing this is probably the Series S.

The MSRP of the current One S is still $299 I believe.

Could this be the Series S? Just the product name is still a temp one? Would make sense calling the Series S the "One S V2" since thats kind of what it is. $299 seems cheap for series S though. But maybe that's their way to show Sony up.

If you are trying to rebrand (especially away from what is seemingly a failed One product line) it doesn't really make much sense at all.

Nov 19, 2017
What if they are releasing an upgraded Xbox One S that has updated internals to run raytracing etc and they just rebrand it as Xbox Series S? What if Lockhart was just a V2 of the One S all along?? :o

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Pull a 360 and make it look more like a series S/X.
"Xbox One E" incoming?

still a $300 MSRP though? wow

would have expected them to cut it

that or the Series X is really going to be more than $500
It's gotta be something that'll drop, right?
I mean, before they discontinued them, Microsoft themselves were selling Xbox One X bundles at that price for months.

I guess it makes sense they're going to release a newer version of the One S, since that's not getting discontinued like the other models. I imagine they'll make them more cheaply are charge less for them... eventually (you know, like how these things normally goes).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone still 100% certain the Series S is happening this year? Especially after the Halo delay? Technically they've never officially announced it so its not like they'd have to delay anything. Would it make sense to hold that back for whenever Halo is ready?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The MSRP of the current One S is still $299 I believe.
Really? That's crazy. I bought my One S 3... maybe 2 years ago for €170. It was a Forza Horizon 3 bundle. The Cyberpunk One X launched for €299 not too long ago and that's a One X, not an S, and comes with a game. I can't really see them pushing a new model or whatever this is to the market for that price when there's a new 'cheap' box on the horizon.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

In Target DPCI speak, 207 is the department (video games), 31 is the class (Xbox One), and the last four digits are the item. Each console has a different class. Presumably, the Xbox Series S/X would have a different class designation (like 207-46-0001 or something), not reuse the Xbox One class.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the pricing for this SKU. Prices can change in Target's system all the time, and $299 is currently still the official MSRP for the Xbox One S. This could be a product introduced alongside a price drop, but it would 't need to have that price now — the price could be changed later.

I think this could be a "PS3 Super Slim" or Xbox 360 E style late-stage cut-cost model.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Is everyone still 100% certain the Series S is happening this year? Especially after the Halo delay? Technically they've never officially announced it so its not like they'd have to delay anything. Would it make sense to hold that back for whenever Halo is ready?

I would not be surprised if that was now the plan. Cancel the XB1 version of Halo and launch the Series S alongside it. One more refresh of the One S with new pack-ins to clear existing stock.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Probably an Xbox 360 E type deal.

It's expensive for an Xbox One but remember that they released the E for this same price in 2013, the same year the Xbox One released.

Slim Xbox One S with a big bundle of games maybe?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh...if they're launching a new version of the One S for that price...

Looks like this breakdown to me then:

XB1S V2- 300
XBSS - 400
XBSX - 600

I would be very much out.

I was assuming it's be:

XB1S- 200
XBSS- 300
XBSX- 500

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Probably an Xbox 360 E type deal.

It's expensive for an Xbox One but remember that they released the E for this same price in 2013, the same year the Xbox One released.

They also had a $199 4GB E, though, and they weren't releasing an "Xbox One S" alongside the $500 Xbox One.

I think this could end up being cheaper than $299. They put in the current Xbox One S MSRP for now and they'll change it when Microsoft announces a price drop/this new "super slim" model.

I was assuming it's be:

XB1S- 200
XBSS- 300
XBSX- 500

This is my guess. Microsoft is hungry and they want Game Pass to be as accessible as possible. (And for all we know, this doesn't have an optical drive — the Series S allegedly doesn't, after all.)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I would not be surprised if that was now the plan. Cancel the XB1 version of Halo and launch the Series S alongside it. One more refresh of the One S with new pack-ins to clear existing stock.

I think everyone has been assuming MS has been keeping the existence of Lockhart close to the vest as a way to sort of drop it as a wild card, but I do wonder if the reason they've been so tight lipped about it is they wanted to really evaluate market viability of launching two pieces of hardware simultaneously, during a pandemic/global recession, and after their biggest game of the year was just delayed, to give themselves the greatest amount of flexibility.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
If the pricing is higher than this, I just don't see the point, at least not with the XB1S and XBSS

I have to be honest- I don't see a $600 Series X appealing to many people either unless they have something major up their sleeve. I'm not even sure I would've paid that price WITH Halo. Without it, there's no way in hell I'm buying it at that price.

Oct 27, 2017

Why? What's Halo going to do?

Halo is a franchise for hardcore Xbox fans. These people will already buy the Series X. It's reach beyond that has gone because after Halo 3, casuals play COD.

COD and Fifa are coming out this year. Cheap entry to play next gen versions of those games will be the Series S. And cheap next gen entry for gamepass.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why? What's Halo going to do?

Halo is a franchise for hardcore Xbox fans. These people will already buy the Series X. It's reach beyond that has gone because after Halo 3, casuals play COD.

COD and Fifa are coming out this year. Cheap entry to play next gen versions of those games will be the Series S.

Presumably that could be what a $300 One S V2 is for.

They aren't increasing the price of Xbox one

its not an increase. That is the current MSRP of a One S. They've been aggressive with retailer bundles and discounts, which they could still do with this new hardware, but the MSRP would not be an increase.

Oct 25, 2017

It makes sense there isn't much reason to upgrade to the entry level version of next gen at launch

Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone has been assuming MS has been keeping the existence of Lockhart close to the vest as a way to sort of drop it as a wild card, but I do wonder if the reason they've been so tight lipped about it is they wanted to really evaluate market viability of launching two pieces of hardware simultaneously, during a pandemic/global recession, and after their biggest game of the year was just delayed, to give themselves the greatest amount of flexibility.
These consoles are already being manufactured. You don't just leave hundreds of thousand, millions of consoles just sitting in a warehouse

From recent rumours, the August "event" was supposed to be halo focused with the free reveal and pricing for all the consoles. The free money leak and subsequent delay of halo made them push the event back to next month