• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox family of consoles were the best-selling machines over Black Friday in the UK.

Microsoft's device was heavily discounted during the Black Friday sales period, with the Xbox One S All-Digital consoles cut to £110 in Tesco, with £129.99 offers at other retailers. The machine bundled in digital versions of Sea of Thieves, Minecraft and Fortnite, which is why all of those games charted so well in the software charts.

More than 100,000 Xbox One machines were sold last week, according to retailers, which is just slightly behind what the console managed during Black Friday 2018. The All-Digital version was the most successful edition of them all.

Xbox One very narrowly beat Nintendo Switch by "just a handful of consoles". Nintendo's machine also featured some big discounts during Black Friday, with the new 'Lite' version down to £179.99. Retailers also did some bundling around products such as Nintendo Labo, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe and Pokemon Sword and Shield.

In terms of revenue, Nintendo Switch was actually the No.1 console due to the higher price of the machine compared to Xbox One.

This all meant that PS4 was in third place. Sony's machine sold just over 60,000 units last week, with the FIFA 20 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare bundles proving to be the most popular. Although there were offers around PlayStation last week, they were not as aggressive as Microsoft's deals.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how much money MS actually made, wouldn't be surprised if they were behind PS4 and Switch in terms of revenue at them deal prices

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
The digital only version was going for so cheap and came with a few free games. Not surprised by this at all.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
More than 100,000 Xbox One machines were sold last week, according to retailers, which is just slightly behind what the console managed during Black Friday 2018
This is surprising considering how aggressive the deals were this year.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Great deal. I'm not in the market for a digi only Xbox, but if you wanted something like that, you would snap it up. Also, UK is forever a strong Xbox market.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
They were selling the SAD for £99 so doesn't surprise me. Best PS4 deal in comparison was double that price.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I have never had any interest in an Xbox One, but even I bought one last week as they were stupidly cheap so it will be a Xmas present for my son

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I got the Star Wars bundle for £170 then sold the game for £40. Then got 3 months of Game Pass for £16. Worked out alright for the couple of games I've wanted to play.

Blue Ranger

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chile/France
There's no place on earth more price sensitive than the UK.

If MS prices XBOX TWO right, they win next gen there. With all the fuck ups they are still super close to PS4.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not all that surprised considering the value each provided along with the year as a whole.

£180 is what the Lite should be to start with IMO. Would fly off the shelves.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yep, personally nabbed an All-Digital as when it's that cheap it basically just becomes the dummy box you need to access Gamepass.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
There is actually a better Switch deal in the UK today than there was all of Black Friday. From the Nintendo store you can get a Switch+MK8D bundle for £251.99 with a 10% off code if you received a magazine recently from them

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I just bought a MK8 Deluxe Switch bundle for £279 with Labo.

Not too bad of a deal when I sell off Labo.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Games Pass is a very attractive service. I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed to the sales a lot. It greatly influenced me to pick up a One X.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The deals were ridiculous. Nearly bought a SAD version myself, despite not having much interest in one, because the price on offer was crazy.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine all the Game Pass marketing helped as well. The service is just too good, so why wouldnt someone that's into gaming pay around a hundred bucks to get in on that. Microsoft great moves paying off

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Impressive for Nintendo to be within a handful of units of the Xbox even with price disparity - I'm guessing Pokémon probably helped a lot as well.

Xbox had some damn good deals this season over here, definitely would have grabbed one if I was a little more flush.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Just goes to show there's plenty left in the tank for both PS4 and Xbox One, they just need to put the prices down. Given their age and all the money they make on services and digital purchases, £180 for the Slim and the S and £130 for the SAD is about where they should be.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Black Friday was all part of the "masterplan" for the SAD. At release people laughed at abit at the console.

just joking. ;)

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Because as consumers, we should really be worrying about this.
I'm kind of getting tired of this "as a consumer" refrain that is constantly trotted out on ERA to shame people who have interest/curiosity in things that don't nessisarily affect them. This is a hobby board, we don't always have to be so self-centered and obsessed with consumer culture to discuss topics.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Even I was tempted to buy one at those prices but then I decided I can wait another year and buy an S with a tray (and probably 3 or 4 games) for ~100 EUR and replace my aging BR player and get access to some console exclusives. It was insane value if you can live with all digital though.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I popped into town on Friday and all of the ad board things in the shopping centre were Game Pass ads. Seems like the did a big push here. Super competitive pricing and advertising everywhere.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
smart. get them hooked into game pass and the ecosystem before next gen

sony def getting a different ms this go-around. exciting times.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Do the math - Switch had Pokemon, Sony had Death Stranding, Xbox had ....gamepass. Gamepass >exclusives.