• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
I was extremely close to buy a Xbox one SAD myself, ridiculous good price.

With 100k in UK and anecdotal evidence for the 99€ bundle doing well in Europe I wonder what they will end up with.

The big question is for me however what is the manufacturing cost of the SAD. If it is not to high above the asking price I can see the possibility for Microsoft to actually create some small legs for the Xbox one aimed at the kids/casual market. Especially with the possibility to pair Xbox one sad with some streaming device.

I am really surprised with this aggressive mode by Microsoft. Good work.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
You could say the same about who "won" black friday or any sales discussion really...

giphy.gif

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
At £99 you'd be silly not to but then I still feel paying £160 for a game or extra controller was a better buy as at least you'd have a disc drive for any game you may want to buy retail. Of course as a GP machine it's fine if you don't want to do anything else with it.

Still looks like everyone did well. Switch slightly discounted selling just as well as fire sale Xbox's and Sony barely putting in any effort and making bank.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I think buying a console at the end of the gen is kind of weird especially since next gen is confirmed to be backwards compatible BUT Gamepass makes it worth it.

It also helps that Halo is still launching on Xbone.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I can't believe the amount of advertising MS are throwing into X1 this late in the game, but then, those Gamepass would likely mean guaranteed upgrade to Scarlet next gen.

Also, not surprisingly, UK unlimited data caps helping out SAD here. Digital future getting closer.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Impressive. So XB1 ~= 100k, Switch ~= 100k ("only a handful of consoles" less), and PS4 = 60k. Impressive numbers for Switch and XB1, PS4 is fine for the time in its life.

Looks like XB1 hardware was very significant, also explains the huge software sales (because a lot of bundling occurred). Great result for XB1 in the UK. The bundles really did well.

ILPRT

Apr 5, 2019
Very surprised by this but I guess aggressive pricing and a more understanding digital consumer base can change things.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The all digital one was under £100 so it's not surprising really. That's an absolute steal.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
I think buying a console at the end of the gen is kind of weird especially since next gen is confirmed to be backwards compatible BUT Gamepass makes it worth it.

Scarlett will likely be north of £399 at launch. The people buying £120 Xbox Ones aren't in the market for that.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to everyone at Xbox. Phil did one hell of a job turning the ship around. A console for this price with gamepass is an insane value.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

The general market that you're selling thousands of £99 consoles to before Christmas in 2019 isn't really the same market you're aiming a new £499 console at 12 months later. You're mopping up stragglers with really cheap deals and bundles with the cheapest console you can make. There's a reason the PS2 kept selling well into the PS3's life.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
The SAD deal in Spain was great, i almost bought one, but resisted because i really don't need it, so it makes sense

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to xbox.

They have been putting in serious work and its paying off going into a new generation. Reminds me of Sonys upswing late last gen.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I predicted XB1 winning BF week in the UK pretty much every year in the last 3-4 years due to vastly superior deals, and this year it finally happened. SAD commonly for sbout £100 - half the price of cheapest PS4 deals - finally did it for them.

Switch is the real winner though, almost matching XB1 with only very small discounts.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Xbox SAD was £120-140 ish depending on deals (2-3 games) so not surprised it did well

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Its not really the same audience tho. My brother bought a cheap SAD for my little nephews. When i said it was at this price. For Minecraft and other "smaller" games. Also what helped was the great parent control on Xbox tho.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of less well off people don't get the 'latest' console until they're heavily discounted later in the gen.
The general market that you're selling thousands of £99 consoles to before Christmas in 2019 isn't really the same market you're aiming a new £499 console at 12 months later. You're mopping up stragglers with really cheap deals and bundles with the cheapest console you can make. There's a reason the PS2 kept selling well into the PS3's life.
You right

Its not really the same audience tho. My brother bought a cheap SAD for my little nephews. When i said it was at this price. For Minecraft and other "smaller" games. Also what helped was the great parent control on Xbox tho.
Yeah, it makes a pretty good gift. I guess I was just referring to a few friends that I know. They are pretty well off and have gaming pcs so I was just like "Why don't you just wait until next gen?"

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm not surprised. I saw quite a few deals on the digital version with a game or two for £130 or even less. Crazy deals.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
The deals were unreal...99 euro for Xbox one SAD (fortnite + sea of thieves + forza).
Heck, I ordered one too but after a good night's sleep decided to cancel it since I really do not need it.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
That means Switch is on pace to beat 1M units over a year for the first time in the UK.

Anyone knows how much PS4 or Xbox has had as the most? more than 1.5?

Nice, I can't believe the amount of advertising MS are throwing into X1 this late in the game, but then, those Gamepass would likely mean guaranteed upgrade to Scarlet next gen.

Also, not surprisingly, UK unlimited data caps helping out SAD here. Digital future getting closer.

As Xbox has been quite anonymous over the generation they are really making sure that the brand is on the mind of overybod come next gen.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Saw the digital only version for like £120

It was available for £85 with Sea of Thieves / Minecraft and Fortnite - bonkers pricing so not surprised it sold so well. Also seen a lot of advertising on TV for the 3 months of gamepass for £1 so they obviously had a plan to really push the all digital system. Its hard to turn down at those prices i.e half the price of any competition with tons of games included - incredible value really.

Xbox are well positioned in the UK for next gen no doubt about it

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft deserves a ton of credit for turning around the Xbox 1 after an atrocious launch/start. They may not be close to the behemoth that the PS4 is or what Switch will likely end up, but when it's all said and done the Xbox 1 will end up with very respectable numbers In most regions and even Worldwide totals.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Xbox SAD for 100 quid is a quite phenomenal deal.

Microsoft deserves a ton of credit for turning around the Xbox 1 after an atrocious launch/start. They may not be close to the behemoth that the PS4 is or what Switch will likely end up, but when it's all said and done the Xbox 1 will end up with very respectable numbers In most regions and even Worldwide totals.

Do we have numbers yet to make this claim?
I know Xbox has done great in US/UK and Latin America but I think most other regions its pretty rough.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if at 98 Euros you're not interested in a current-gen console, chances are you don't care about gaming much at all.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
£84 for an Xbox S AD with SoT, Minecraft and Fortnite credits. Absolutely insane deal. I don't think I've ever seen a better one in all the recent Black Fridays.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
If you shopped around you could get one for £100 with 3 games and you can also get 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate for under £15. What's not to like, it's pretty much an impulse purchase at that price.

Hell, the games alone would cost around £100!

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
That means Switch is on pace to beat 1M units over a year for the first time in the UK.

Anyone knows how much PS4 or Xbox has had as the most? more than 1.5?

As Xbox has been quite anonymous over the generation they are really making sure that the brand is on the mind of overybod come next gen.

Xbox One won't even be close to the best years of PS4 or even Switch in the U.K.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

They did not have a atrocious launch/start .
It's in the after years they start having problem and i guess it depend on what call respectable .
Still good sales for MS.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is definitely doing a lot of interesting things to get people interested in their ecosystem late in this gen and going into next gen with the all digital console and even the Xbox All Access program that was being offered through Amazon with an "upgrade" path to Scarlett that wouldn't be counted in any Black Friday sales tracking numbers either.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nice upswing which should help next gen for sure.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kind of getting tired of this "as a consumer" refrain that is constantly trotted out on ERA to shame people who have interest/curiosity in things that don't nessisarily affect them. This is a hobby board, we don't always have to be so self-centered and obsessed with consumer culture to discuss topics.

Yeah it's becoming incredibly fucking annoying.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
UK is MS second stronghold outside the US and they were selling Xboxes for very cheap.....so thats not really shocking, congrats !!!

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If I was waiting this far into the generation for a discount then gamepass probably also appeals to that kind of audience. Insane value.