• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not worry, it's curiosity. I say this as a game dev who is interested in how things sell :D
But for a game dev, isn't it more important that the user base grew instead of how much money the console manufacturor made? Because for you, who wants to sell games, the more consoles out there, the better. Or did I miss something?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox Game Pass is going to be a big factor in next generation launch window when people understand the insane value proposition of having the entire launch window lineup available through that subscription, likely bundled with 1 to 3 months of the service too.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
A digital model console makes gamepass even more attractive, MS should have a Scarlett AD model as an option at a discount at launch next year.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Some crazy good deals on the SAD version. Must be driving Game Pass like crazy.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
It would have been a decent enough deal on just the Fortnite credits, a new controller and a couple of popular games. But they threw in a whole SAD console too!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said Xbox will lead next-gen on US and UK.
7ex1.gif

I agree that it'll be much closer then this gen

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It was almost no brainer territory. If I actually played the PS4 games I bought I'd have maybe bought one, but with next gen round the corner I know it would have been a waste for me personally. PS4 deal pricing was almost non existent really.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm kind of getting tired of this "as a consumer" refrain that is constantly trotted out on ERA to shame people who have interest/curiosity in things that don't nessisarily affect them. This is a hobby board, we don't always have to be so self-centered and obsessed with consumer culture to discuss topics.
That's usually concern trolling, and you know it.

Yes, it makes sense to wonder how a gaming division is doing money-wise, but most of the time it's just a proxy for console wars. And console wars are annoying.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
MS lured me back with that £99 deal. Bought two years of gold and the £1 Game Pass trick is ridiculously good value.

Feb 10, 2018
Just goes to show there's plenty left in the tank for both PS4 and Xbox One, they just need to put the prices down. Given their age and all the money they make on services and digital purchases, £180 for the Slim and the S and £130 for the SAD is about where they should be.

Yeah, the games for it in a 1080p 40inch or smaller TV are still a good experience, especially when we consider the switch and how last gen was around this time.
And x1s/ad stills plays fifa, fortnite very well.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
That's usually concern trolling, and you know it.

Yes, it makes sense to wonder how a gaming division is doing money-wise, but most of the time it's just a proxy for console wars. And console wars are annoying.

Then the best thing to do is not react, because if it's trolling then you're not feeding them, and if it's someone who is genuinely interested you're not needlessly having a pop at them?

Good job Xbox:)

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were selling all-digital version for like $110 in Germany so I can only imagine what the prices were in countries like the US.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
But for a game dev, isn't it more important that the user base grew instead of how much money the console manufacturor made? Because for you, who wants to sell games, the more consoles out there, the better. Or did I miss something?

What does it matter to you why that poster is interested? Why do they need to justify their curiosity?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is going to go well I feel

My body is ready.

It's not concern, it's called sales discussion. Revenue and profit is part of that discussion, not just units. We also don't have much in the way of facts to show that services will make up for the loss of selling a console and 3 games for £99.
Didn't you hear? We should only have discussions about specific things in the gaming industry.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
The SAD is a very attractive product when you factor in gamepass . I appreciate the fact that my X can play physical games but RDR2 is literally the only physical game I own .

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Considering how low the price went, I'd be surprised if the SAD model didn't create big sales numbers WW during BF.

99€ is one hell of an entry price point.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Almost bought a SAD for my son at university before realising he doesn't have a TV.. And the 1X for £300 with Star Wars was tempting too, but I can hang on with my 1S for another 12 months

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
It was impulse buy range at £99. Still impressive I expected the Switch to have sold more by a good margin. Come next gen pricings is going to be key.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I think if I hadn't had such a recent experience where the benefits of buying games physically was so massive (JFO which I bought for £43.50 played and sold for £40) I'd have bought one this weekend. It's a crazy deal but digital is still terrible value for money in the UK.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. They've really turned it around and it's my most used platform these days. It's good to see people starting to take notice of how good their offerings are now.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Good grief they beat Switch???!! I would have thought it unpossible. Ps4 I understand, but Switch?

Geez, SAD has turned from mocked to beast mode in record time.

but, sales still down from 2018.

Edit: So basically the numbers are implied at Xbox ~100k, Switch ~100k, PS4 ~60k.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
You just need to look at the launch (and the months following) of the digital only edition and see how it didn't have any notable effect on hardware numbers.

True and I agree with you, however I am pretty sure that the only way to get a system down to 99€ is to remove something.

If it is a good business for Microsoft I cannot answer, maybe they losses is so high that the income from services will not be large enough to compensate. If the losses is not to large Microsoft will be in the position where they can be the budget consumers choice and the choice of the guy who wants the most powerful console.

It is very interesting

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
True and I agree with you, however I am pretty sure that the only way to get a system down to 99€ is to remove something.

If it is a good business for Microsoft I cannot answer, maybe they losses is so high that the income from services will not be large enough to compensate. If the losses is not to large Microsoft will be in the position where they can be the budget consumers choice and the choice of the guy who wants the most powerful console.

It is very interesting
You aren't gonna save over $100 by removing the disc, the current price have very little to do with that, they want to lock people in their ecosystem and doing it with pushing digital on them is a good way of that, they are absolutely taking a big loss on this offer.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You aren't gonna save over $100 by removing the disc, the current price have very little to do with that, they want to lock people in their ecosystem and doing it with pushing digital on them is a good way of that, they are absolutely taking a big loss on this offer.

Have you see how much a BDXL drive is?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox was the only console that actually seemed to drop in price on Black Friday here, so it deserves the sales in my opinion.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's out of my knowledge.

And isn't that part of the problem with trying to discuss sales, profit & loss, manufacturing processes, marketing and other overheads?

People categorically state wins and losses in the console debates without ever knowing the full picture or all of the moving parts that can impact a hundred and one things related to sales?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
i am really intrigued to see how much the gamepass deals and 3 year conversions make to buying decisions next year...Will some people go with their current subs and just get a new box to access their sub with the next hardware?

Or will people go for cheapest box? or most powerful box?

I feel like PS has a much larger market share, and with back compat, people will be tempted to stick with their ecosystem...but then maybe the average Xbox customer is "stickier" because they've bought in to Gamepass etc.

Do people think that this is the hardest generation so far, to switch platforms? because of backwards compatability?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It's not concern, it's called sales discussion. Revenue and profit is part of that discussion, not just units. We also don't have much in the way of facts to show that services will make up for the loss of selling a console and 3 games for £99.

we have a mountain of evidence and facts to show that taking in users at a loss to get users into your ecosystem can be quite effective. It's worked for Amazon and Google that practically give out their mini smart speakers for free. It's worked for Uber that takes on billions in losses to enter new markets. Apple is using that successfully to build up users for Apple TV + after this worked well for Apple Music.

Sony is toeing this line with cheap bundle deals for PSVR. Incidentally, we don't get a spirited discussion about revenue for that.

Microsoft clearly forecasts a profitable outcome for Gamepass, despite cheap $1 Gamepass ultimate conversion deals. Why would it be a cheap SAD bundle that tips their projections into the red?

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
Having always been a Nintendo/PlayStation gamer, even I couldn't resist the Tesco £109 SAD offer. For that price plus Game Pass, that's a mighty impressive library of games I've never played for a crazy good price. Went from 'not interested' to 'hard to say no' very quickly.