• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Had the best deals, not surprising

Fuck all good deals for the other two
Pretty much this. It's crazy now low MS have had to drop the price. I wonder who will rank where for 2019. My guess is:
1. Switch
2. PS4
3. Xbox
Wonder how much money MS actually made, wouldn't be surprised if they were behind PS4 and Switch in terms of revenue at them deal prices
Yeah I'd love to know this too. The ps4 holds more buying power with consumers then the xbox.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
What are you on about?

The switch is literally not even 3 years old. Let's see how its selling on black Friday 4 years from now. It's still relatively new.
And yet several titles from that launch 3 years ago routinely show up in the top ten sellers of the month anywhere you look in the world, can that be said of any other console?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How much? A console being sold for 99 with multiple games taking a big loss is just common sense but if you have something that says differently then that's great.

I think it's obvious it's a loss, but I don't know why we are throwing around "big loss" What is a big loss? how much? I really would be interested to hear what you think they have lost World wide on this activity. Do you have a ball park figure?

I don't care who MS are I refuse to believe that they can sign off millions of dollars in marketing funds etc on this. Even if they were to get creative with the books they couldn't write off that much IMO.

Even 20 dollars loss a box is 2 million dollars just for the UK. It seems crazy.

The game codes are just a piece of cardboard, they are just basically giving the license away. That's nothing and I can get it, but I dunno. seems crazy.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's obvious it's a loss, but I don't know why we are throwing around "bis loss" What is a big loss? how much?

I don't care who MS are I refuse to believe that they can sign off millions of dollars in marketing funds etc on this. Even if they were to get creative with the books they couldn't write off that much IMO.

Even 20 dollars loss a box is 2 million dollars just for the UK. It seems crazy.

The game codes are just a piece of cardboard, they are just basically giving the license away. That's nothing and I can get it, but I dunno. seems crazy.
A $2 million loss is crazy?
They wrote off over $1-2 billion for the 360 RoD, they lost $5 billion in the Xbox segment with the OG XBox, Sega lost over $1 billion with the DC, SCE lost $5 billion in the first years with the PS3.
A $2 million loss is nothing.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A $2 million loss is crazy?
They wrote off over $1-2 billion for the 360 RoD, they lost $5 billion in the Xbox segment with the OG XBox, Sega lost over $1 billion with the DC, SCE lost $5 billion in the first years with the PS3.
A $2 million loss is nothing.

You are using a terrible customer service worldwide catastrophe/design flaw of a console where they were forced to write off that 1-2 Bill. Ken Kutaragi caused the 3 billion loss on PS3 thanks to blu ray, he was literally retired because of it.

Companies don't choose to do the above things. They are examples of a complete and utter fuck up of that they have no other option but to burn money to try and fix, or ride the wave and turn it around.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
You know someone here said when SAD was first announced that it was going to be MS's token Black Friday system and they were right lol

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it's obvious it's a loss, but I don't know why we are throwing around "big loss" What is a big loss? how much? I really would be interested to hear what you think they have lost World wide on this activity. Do you have a ball park figure?
I don't see how anyone but MS could answer such a question, but the normal price for current gen consoles are $300 and these companies have said in the past that there isn't much profit from hardware, Xbox 1 X at launch wasn't sold at profit according to Phil yet it's being sold for like $150 less now, now imagine how the loss on a system being sold for 99 with multiple games? This is +$100 loss easily.

I mean we've been told by insiders that GP is operating at a loss so I'm not sure what is crazy about them taking a loss on hardware sales during Black Friday, MS also regularly does deals on Xbox even outside of Black Friday so it's not like slashing prices for them is an abnormal thing, and let's not forget the billions they lost due to the 360.
Companies don't choose to do the above things. They are examples of a complete and utter fuck up of that they have no other option but to burn money to try and fix, or ride the wave and turn it around.
What do you think happened with Xbox this gen and what are they trying to do with these deals? You don't see PlayStation doing such things.

Last edited:

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
You are using a terrible customer service worldwide catastrophe/design flaw of a console where they were forced to write off that 1-2 Bill. Ken Kutaragi caused the 3 billion loss on PS3 thanks to blu ray, he was literally retired because of it.

I used these cases because they were the most drastic, if you are already the king of the world you obviously don't need to eat looses.
You can use PS1, PS2, 360 or Gamepass if you like that more.
In the end they are eating short-term looses for (expected) long-term profit and $2 million in that case isn't a big or crazy amount to eat.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Had some friends ask about the SAD edition this past week. The type of people whose last game they bought was probably the last NCAA football game EA put out.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't see how anyone but MS could answer such a question, but the normal price for current gen consoles are $300 and these companies have said in the past that there isn't much profit from hardware, Xbox 1 X at launch wasn't sold at profit according to Phil yet it's being sold for like $150 less now, now imagine how the loss on a system being sold for 99 with multiple games? This is +$100 loss easily.

I mean we've been told by insiders that GP is operating at a loss so I'm not sure what is crazy about them taking a loss on hardware sales during Black Friday, MS also regularly does deals on Xbox even outside of Black Friday so it's not like slashing prices for them is an abnormal thing, and let's not forget the billions they lost due to the 360.

What do you think happened with Xbox this gen and what are they trying to do with these deals? You don't see PlayStation doing such things.

I can only imagine that MS expect gamepass to continue to run on xbox one S for years and years to come. If MS are throwing so much money down the pan it proves they are seriously going for the jugular next gen.

To push xbox one s this much when it's basically dead is crazy to me.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
They did not have a atrocious launch/start .
It's in the after years they start having problem and i guess it depend on what call respectable .
Still good sales for MS.

They had an atrocious launch. Maybe not in terms of sales, but in terms of mindshare it was really bad which pointed to them having struggled.

They should end up around 50 million Worldwide, which seems very respectable and much better than it appeared it would be early in its lifecycle.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The really cheap deals were hard to get as well so there's definitely more sales waiting if they can keep the price down and get the stock to stores.

Seems like MS answer to Sony's massive marketing budget.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They had an atrocious launch. Maybe not in terms of sales, but in terms of mindshare it was really bad which pointed to them having struggled.

They should end up around 50 million Worldwide, which seems very respectable and much better than it appeared it would be early in its lifecycle.

Early in the life cycle some people were expecting that amount if you follow the sales .
The guess was 40 to 50 million which is where they end up .

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Early in the life cycle some people were expecting that amount if you follow the sales .
The guess was 40 to 50 million which is where they end up .

I do follow the sales discussions and as I recall a lot of people also expected much less than the 50+ million it's on target to sell. There was even talk of Microsoft selling off the XBox brand at a couple points early on.

It appears it will exceed 50 million now and that is more than a respectable figure and a big turn around from where it once was. I honestly don't even think that it's debatable that MS has done a good job turning things around from where they were headed early on.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
UK in thralls of Brexit induced election nightmare, express the national mood, by going all in on the XBox SAD.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS deserve success because of what they've done with GamePass, but at this point it's too late for me to really care. I'm hoping they can keep this momentum up next gen and keep Sony and Nintendo on their toeses.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
£110 for a console with 3 games? WTF you'd have to be mad to not get that (and I didn't get it, but gamepass on PC is so good :))