• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Just now totally out of the blue it started losing the HDMI signal and it would come back and lose it again until it just gave up.

I have the X connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR-X1400H receiver into the Game HDMI input. My Samsung Q9FN One Connect Box is via ARC HDMI connected to the receiver. On the TV it says no signal or unknown signal. I tried it with a almost ancient Samsung TV and just to be extra sure I tried it with a HP monitor, same story.

Time to go to the store/call MS? I have warranty. Bought it on launch last year.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's the same thing, but on PS4 I'd get that every once in awhile.
Have to boot to safe mode and change the resolution manually.

Slv

Oct 26, 2017
Latvia
I have this with my Samsung tv and PS4 Pro all the time, it is a HDMI handshake issue for me, i just pull the tv's plug out and back in and then i get signal from Ps4. Ahh did not see you tried a different screen.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actually this has been happening to my Scorpio edition lately. I've replaced the HDMI cord and tried all of the ports on the tvs plus other consoles. It's the only console that has done it so far. I'm starting to think the HDMI port itself on the console may be the issue.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried setting the console in 1080p instead of 4K? Just to see if there's some bandwidth problem somewhere or not.

Last week I ordered a 3 meters 4K60 capable cable to plug my PC to my TV and I was losing signal every 2-5 seconds in 4K but not in 1080p. I then contacted the seller who sent me another one as the first one might be defective, and the new one works perfectly now.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
Have you tried setting the console in 1080p instead of 4K? Just to see if there's some bandwidth problem somewhere or not.

Last week I ordered a 3 meters 4K60 capable cable to plug my PC to my TV and I was losing signal every 2-5 seconds in 4K but not in 1080p. I then contacted the seller who sent me another one as the first one might be defective, and the new one works perfectly now.

I can't even change the resolution because I don't get a signal at all. Even safe mode didn't do a thing. The HDMI port is likely busted is my only guess.

Oct 26, 2017
Heard the second beep and I was waiting for the screen to show Xbox.... nope. I think this could be it.
Ok, honestly. next step. unplug it, and leave it unplugged for a bit.

next time plug the system in and press the power button and walk away.

sometimes Xbox's act weird with updates. sometimes the update is borked, and it'll try to revert, and it'll just sit in a black screen for 5-10 minutes then boot fine.

----------

by chance are you in the xbox preview program?

Jan 1, 2018
Madrid
That's exactly what happened to me twice, guess I was unlucky. I couldn't get them to boot after they lose signal.

Called Microsoft and they told me it's a common problem and to send it, but as I bought them on Amazon I just went through them and had them replaced the next day.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017

sometimes Xbox's act weird with updates. sometimes the update is borked, and it'll try to revert, and it'll just sit in a black screen for 5-10 minutes then boot fine.

----------

I'll try this. I'll leave it unplugged for 30 minutes. But if it doesn't work after that I'm going to Mediamarkt, the store where I bought it. I think this is gonna be a MS matter but you never know. This store also gave me a brand new headphones when Apple had basically had given me a big middlefinger.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll try this. I'll leave it unplugged for 30 minutes. But if it doesn't work after that I'm going to Mediamarkt, the store where I bought it. I think this is gonna be a MS matter but you never know. This store also gave me a brand new headphones when Apple had basically had given me a big middlefinger.
ya, one thing I did with my Tv and xbox systems this gen was buy a super long extended warranty. that way I could go to a big box and jsut exchange it out.

hopefully it'll work itself out.

I have my scorio launch edition and its still quiet as ever. =) ( was having some odd issues in forza horizon 4, that I thought the GPu was going, but it ended up being a bug in the painter in forza)

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017

----------

Nope, no preview program anymore.

When the console is fully started, can you use a Windows 10 PC to connect to it and stream it and then change the resolution ?

I have my Surface Pro. Good idea. I'll do this now.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a couple years since I had to do this, but I had to reset my old Xbox One (not X) after what I think was a "bad" update.
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/reset-factory-defaults-using-usb-flash-drive
Note If the console is experiencing an issue that requires you to Restore Factory Defaults, but you can't access the Settings hub on your Xbox One console, use this process.
If you can just get a new one, it's probably the best avenue for you though.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
When the console is fully started, can you use a Windows 10 PC to connect to it and stream it and then change the resolution ?

I tried this. Usually I would be able to just connect to my Xbox. It does show Xbox One twice in the App's connection menu and both are off. It looks like my One X isn't even fully booting.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Are you still using the receiver when you're testing the other cables and tvs? Are you sure you're not using the HDMI IN port? After unplugging the console hold the power button to drain the power from the system faster.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a couple years since I had to do this, but I had to reset my old Xbox One (not X) after what I think was a "bad" update.
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/reset-factory-defaults-using-usb-flash-drive

If you can just get a new one, it's probably the best avenue for you though.

There's no guarantee that they will give me a new one, but it's possible. It's also possible they tell me to leave the console there and they will send it to MS.

The factory reset via USB drive is worth it. I'll do this first.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
Are you still using the receiver when you're testing the other cables and tvs? Are you sure you're not using the HDMI IN port? After unplugging the console hold the power button to drain the power from the system faster.

Receivwr has been off for all these tests. I'm using the port right next to the power on X. The HDMI out to TV.

Also, my friends do not see appearing online and neither do I see my console appearing in the Xbox app on my Surface. Seems like it's more than just the HDMI now that is wrong.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Id let the xbox sit at that black screen for a bit because ive had it happen before where its actually updating the system. Also i suggest hooking something up that uses hdmi to the port you are using to completely rule out everything but the xbox.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
I've truly done it all now, everything you can imagine. Even the flash drive thing and it doesn't do a thing. I'm going to the store now.

TAYREL713

Oct 30, 2017
I also have a Denon receiver (AVRS510BT-R) and was having the same problem. I sent the reciever in for rpair and at the same time my Xbox One X was having a memory leak issue so I sen't that in too so both were repaired and everything seems okay now.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
Well, since it's more than a year old I don't get a new one. This one will be sent to MS. The lady told me it's possible MS will charge for repair if they conclude that this was by my own doing but I take great care of my stuff so I don't expect that.

I'll be X-less for 10 to 20 days. I did make sure to write down the serial number because I share games and that could be important if MS perhaps senrs me a new one.

She also notified me of that MS will factory reset it and if I was OK with that. Well, good luck with that MS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
Come to think of it, lately the X had been loud as all hell during any enhanced game, especially with RDR2 the thing was like a damn jet engine. Now I wonder if that could have to do with it.

Also, last weekend it happened once or twice that the signal was lost but it came back. So that clearly were the first signs of things to come. I should have had the store write down how much like a jet engine the console got lately, so that MS is notified of this as well. I think I'll call them tomorrow and tell them the serial number and let them know about what a noise it was making for a while now. Can't hurt.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
It's happened to me, I tried everything and ended up sending it to Microsoft to fix.

And did they fix it or give you a new one? How long did it all take for the Xbox to be back? I remember with the 360 days they were pretty fast with it.

It wouldn't suprise me if it's a heating issue because of the noise it had been making for a long time now, plus the fact that it seems the console didn't fully boot since my friends didn't see me appear online and neither was I able to connect to my Xbox via the Windows 10 Xbox app.

Ah well, a break from gaming, there are worse things that can happen. I still have Mario on Switch to continue with and tons of movies/shows left to watch.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I got those error messages too but I have my Xbox one connected directly to my computer monitor. The problem was the HDMI cable.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
I had that issue with my launch One X. I didn't buy it from Microsoft and was over the 30 days return, so talking to MS tech support, they just told me to get it replaced either by mail or at my local Microsoft Store. Chose local and got it replaced there.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
And did they fix it or give you a new one? How long did it all take for the Xbox to be back? I remember with the 360 days they were pretty fast with it.

It wouldn't suprise me if it's a heating issue because of the noise it had been making for a long time now, plus the fact that it seems the console didn't fully boot since my friends didn't see me appear online and neither was I able to connect to my Xbox via the Windows 10 Xbox app.

Ah well, a break from gaming, there are worse things that can happen. I still have Mario on Switch to continue with and tons of movies/shows left to watch.
I'm still in the process of shipping it to them. They give you two options, you send it in and they try to repair it, if they can't, then they send you a new one. The other option is that they put a hold on a card you give them, and they send you a new console and you send them the old broken one. You can also go to a Microsoft store to exchange for a new system. This is all assuming you are under warranty.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
I had that issue with my launch One X. I didn't buy it from Microsoft and was over the 30 days return, so talking to MS tech support, they just told me to get it replaced either by mail or at my local Microsoft Store. Chose local and got it replaced there.

Hmmm, kinda makes me think I should have called MS myself but on the other hand it's going to be sent to MS now anyway too. But it's great that they have such good service man.

I'm still in the process of shipping it to them. They give you two options, you send it in and they try to repair it, if they can't, then they send you a new one. The other option is that they put a hold on a card you give them, and they send you a new console and you send them the old broken one. You can also go to a Microsoft store to exchange for a new system. This is all assuming you are under warranty.

Wish we had Microsoft stores here but we don't. I'm honestly kinda hoping it can't be repaired anymore. This would mean I get a new one and hopefully that one will be actually quiet. No matter what enhanced game I booted up I would hear the console immediately and with RDR2 it was just nuts.

I'm definitely under warranty. Bought the X last November and I believe MS gives two years warranty? I just hope no surprises will come from this, that they will conclude that this was by my doing and that I'm gonna have to pay for the repair. I shouldn't worry but this year has given me plenty of extremely unpleasant surprises, hope 2018 just fucks off asap really.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Scorpio edition just flat out stopped turning on within 2 weeks of launch. Sometimes these things happen. I was able to return to retailer.

Do you still have warranty? Just rma it to MS.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
not sure if helpful. But when i got an XB1x......when i would play GTA V, the signal would cut out and screen would go black like every other minute.
found (on reddit) that it was because the console defaults to 8bit something....and my tv is 10bit so it makes it wonky. Just went in Display settings and changed to 10bit and it fixed it

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
My X1X stopped outputting to HDMI awhile back, it would come on, I could connect to it from my PC, but it would only display remotely at 480p. Ended up having to send it back in, got it back pretty quickly, think it was probably an Insider preview update that borked it somehow tbh. When I got it back, immediately removed myself from the Insider Program.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Wish we had Microsoft stores here but we don't. I'm honestly kinda hoping it can't be repaired anymore. This would mean I get a new one and hopefully that one will be actually quiet. No matter what enhanced game I booted up I would hear the console immediately and with RDR2 it was just nuts.

I'm definitely under warranty. Bought the X last November and I believe MS gives two years warranty? I just hope no surprises will come from this, that they will conclude that this was by my doing and that I'm gonna have to pay for the repair. I shouldn't worry but this year has given me plenty of extremely unpleasant surprises, hope 2018 just fucks off asap really.
I mean you can get a new one if you don't mind a hold on the card. You just have to ship it to them, and they pay for the shipping as well.

Oct 29, 2017
Just now totally out of the blue it started losing the HDMI signal and it would come back and lose it again until it just gave up.

I have the X connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR-X1400H receiver into the Game HDMI input. My Samsung Q9FN One Connect Box is via ARC HDMI connected to the receiver. On the TV it says no signal or unknown signal. I tried it with a almost ancient Samsung TV and just to be extra sure I tried it with a HP monitor, same story.

Time to go to the store/call MS? I have warranty. Bought it on launch last year.
my son had 0 signal to his monitor yesterday, He'd "knocked" the connector settings on the monitor.. basically on his screen you have to manually select what connection you are using.. like what fucking year is it lol

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
My Scorpio edition just flat out stopped turning on within 2 weeks of launch. Sometimes these things happen. I was able to return to retailer.

Do you still have warranty? Just rma it to MS.

Yep. I should have a year of warranty left, well, 11 months more like. The store sends it to MS tomorrow. With a lot of luck I get an update this week, I mean let's say they can't fix it and they give me a new one...i could get that update this week. We'll see.

not sure if helpful. But when i got an XB1x......when i would play GTA V, the signal would cut out and screen would go black like every other minute.
found (on reddit) that it was because the console defaults to 8bit something....and my tv is 10bit so it makes it wonky. Just went in Display settings and changed to 10bit and it fixed it

Nah I doubt this is it man. Besides I couldn't get the signal back anymore anyway. Out of the blue it lost the signal and it came back, went away again, came back and then permanently went away.

My X1X stopped outputting to HDMI awhile back, it would come on, I could connect to it from my PC, but it would only display remotely at 480p. Ended up having to send it back in, got it back pretty quickly, think it was probably an Insider preview update that borked it somehow tbh. When I got it back, immediately removed myself from the Insider Program.

After X came out and I had sold my OG Xbox One I wasn't in the preview program anymore and I was ok with that. No reason at all to bring even more risk to this.

I just find it odd how after losing the signal and turning the console off it didn't really seem to properly boot up anymore. Although I'm not sure how that works if a HDMI port is busted. Maybe that's normal.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
I mean you can get a new one if you don't mind a hold on the card. You just have to ship it to them, and they pay for the shipping as well.

Not sure what you mean by this?

I'm from The Netherlands, can I just send my Xbox to a MS store in the US and they pay shipping and I get a new one too? I would guess that's only for US residents?

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what you mean by this?

I'm from The Netherlands, can I just send my Xbox to a MS store in the US and they pay shipping and I get a new one too? I would guess that's only for US residents?
I'm not sure how it works in Europe. I would just contact Microsoft customer service and see what your options are. I know that here in the U.S they can put a hold on a credit card for a new x and they ship it to you and then when you ship the broken one to them, they remove the hold. But like I said, talk to customer service and they'll tell you your options. They might have something similar for Europeans, and of course you would be sending the xbox somewhere in Europe probably, if they do offer that option.