• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Question about Gears of War 4

Are the enhanced effects, god rays etc, present in both visual and performance mode?

And how does all this compare to maxed PC?

Visuals: 2160p, 30fps Campaign/Horde. 2160p Dyn, 60fps Versus
Performance: 1080p, 60fps Campaign/Horde
Enhanced god rays, dynamic shadowing, further draw distances, surface space reflections, and higher resolution textures.
HDR
VRR
I had always interpreted the enhancements being across both modes; I can see how that entry can be confusing, though. I will make it clearer.

I can't speak on how it compares to the PC version, though.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Over the weekend I picked Forza Horizon 4 back up after playing a little of it at launch. I spent a lot of time with it and I had forgotten just how gorgeous it is! It's easily a showcase title for the Xbox One X; there were times I would just stop my car and marvel at it all.

I've updated the OP with the following. Gears of War 4 and Queen's Quest 2 are previous releases that have been added or clarified.

Black Desert
2160p
HDR​
Dead or Alive 6
Prioritize Graphics: 2160p, 60fps w/drops (~30fps average)
Prioritize Action: 1080p, 60fps
HDR
VRR​
DiRT Rally 2.0
2160p
HDR​
Gears of War 4
Visuals: 2160p, 30fps Campaign/Horde. 2160p Dyn, 60fps Versus
Performance: 1080p, 60fps Campaign/Horde
Enhanced god rays, dynamic shadowing, further draw distances, surface space reflections, and higher resolution textures, all across both modes.
HDR
VRR
Pks1.png
Queen's Quest 2: Stories of Forgotten Past
2160p​
Trials Rising
2160p​

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
So Dirt Rally 2 is 30fps?
Going by this review, the game runs 2160p at 60fps, which is the same as the base game. And, as a reminder, I don't ever note a frame rate in the OP unless there's a change from the base game or there are drops. So, please do share impressions, now that the game is in the wild!

Xbox Enthusiast said:
In fact, all of the visuals in DiRT Rally 2.0 are seriously impressive. On my Xbox One X, the game runs in 4K at 60 frames per second with HDR.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder what compromises they made with the settings because that's impressive. In Karak's review he mentioned he couldn't get it running at 4K60 properly on his 2080Ti.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
In an interview they mentioned it's using dynamic resolution if I recall.
During my research I have not come across this. If you can find that interview that would be much appreciated!

I own the game and an X. I could take a couple screenshots if anyone wants to pixel count them. We own both an X and a basic Xbox and I can tell that the game looks crisper on the X, but I can't pixel count to shit.
Yeah, I can't pixel count for shit, either. I even tried following DF's video and found some parts of it confusing and then, when in practice, I've come up with all sorts of goofy numbers.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
@djlushious You should remove HDR from Darksiders 3. I bought the game last night and spent a while trying to figure out why HDR wasn't working. Turns out they patched it out due to poor implementation. I wish other devs would take note. I'm looking at you Rockstar.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
@djlushious You should remove HDR from Darksiders 3. I bought the game last night and spent a while trying to figure out why HDR wasn't working. Turns out they patched it out due to poor implementation. I wish other devs would take note. I'm looking at you Rockstar.
Wow, I missed that news. It's been like that for a while, too! I'll update the OP shortly.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
During my research I have not come across this. If you can find that interview that would be much appreciated!

Yeah, I can't pixel count for shit, either. I even tried following DF's video and found some parts of it confusing and then, when in practice, I've come up with all sorts of goofy numbers.
Is anyone in here that can pixel count? I could upload them in a couple of hours.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Microsoft won't even do it with ReCore either and the HDR in that game is so bad.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Here in this interview they say they use a dynamic resolution across all platforms to maintain a locked 60.

https://gamingbolt.com/dirt-rally-2-0-interview-track-degradation-weather-system-and-more

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Diablo III is a little rough, using the Necromancer, especially once you hit level 70. Even outside the rifts. Visually, the frame rate is good, but there is a lot of loading stutters. Using revive is a definite cause for a lot of the brief stutters. I wish DF would test late heavier load sections, in Diablo III, instead of early, low-complexity gameplay.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo III is a little rough, using the Necromancer, especially once you hit level 70. Even outside the rifts. Visually, the frame rate is good, but there is a lot of loading stutters. Using revive is a definite cause for a lot of the brief stutters. I wish DF would test late heavier load sections, in Diablo III, instead of early, low-complexity gameplay.

I don't blame DF considering the pressure they are under to produce content in a timely manner but this is why I wish I had performance analysis tools. Would love to check out later sections of games or revisit older games that have received a number of patches. It's something that would be cool to play around with just out of curiosity on a lot of titles.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame DF considering the pressure they are under to produce content in a timely manner but this is why I wish I had performance analysis tools. Would love to check out later sections of games or revisit older games that have received a number of patches. It's something that would be cool to play around with just out of curiosity on a lot of titles.

Performance analysis tools would be great.

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You sure Trials is 4K? Doesn't look close to that when I'm playing.

Back when I preordered it the store just said enhanced and now it says 4K.

Definitely doesn't look native.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
You sure Trials is 4K? Doesn't look close to that when I'm playing.

Back when I preordered it the store just said enhanced and now it says 4K.

Definitely doesn't look native.
For Trials Rising I went by what the official Xbox One X Enhanced list and the Xbox store, which list the game as "4K Ultra HD" (as you relayed). If you can post a couple of screenshots with that have some hard angles in them, hopefully someone better at pixel counting than me can chime in. 😜

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For Trials Rising I went by what the official Xbox One X Enhanced list and the Xbox store, which list the game as "4K Ultra HD" (as you relayed). If you can post a couple of screenshots with that have some hard angles in them, hopefully someone better at pixel counting than me can chime in. 😜

Here's a couple png screengrabs for anyone who can pixel count :)

https://xboxdvr.com/xbox/load/scree...eW%2FNNMXYAGTO%2FOi2N56cJ0JAHYH%2FGQyg%3D.png

https://xboxdvr.com/xbox/load/scree...7AtJHA%2BMD%2B9rhHFAeDAKhuCKhgF6llGMI8%3D.png

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There are some tools floating around if I recall but they're not very intuitive to work with and aren't anywhere near as robust as the ones Digital Foundry uses. It's what a lot of small no name YouTube channels use for frame rate analysis videos.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
There are some tools floating around if I recall but they're not very intuitive to work with and aren't anywhere near as robust as the ones Digital Foundry uses. It's what a lot of small no name YouTube channels use for frame rate analysis videos.

Oh nice! I'll have to figure out what's out there. I'm particularly interested in seeing how some BC games runs on the 1X. Don't think DF ever looked at the original Mass Effect for example.

Thanks man.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated DiRT Rally 2.0 in the OP, as follows:

DiRT Rally 2.0
4k Mode (On): 2160p Dyn. (2160p-1800p)
4k Mode (Off): 1080p
Increased reflection resolution, increased shadow resolution, more foliage, AF, SSR in Replay Mode.
HDR​

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated the OP with the following entries. By my count, there are now 364 Xbox One X, 25 Xbox 360, and 32 OG Xbox Enhanced titles.

8 To Glory: The Official Game of the PBR
2160p
HDR​
Aftercharge
UNKNOWN
HDR​
Ages of Mages: the last keeper
UNKNOWN
HDR​
Awesome Pea
2160p​
Candleman
2160p​
Creepy Road
2160p​
Farm Together
UNKNOWN​
Hyper Jam
2160p​
The LEGO Movie 2 Videogame
UNKNOWN​
PixARK
2160p​
Snooker Nation Championship
2160p
HDR​
The Occupation
2160p
HDR​
Treasure Stack
2160p​

Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed Starlink pretty cheap, and it says it's X enhanced, but for the life of me I can't find exactly how it's enhanced. Has anyone figured it out? It's listed as unknown in the main post.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've updated the OP with the following entries. By my count, there are now 364 Xbox One X, 25 Xbox 360, and 32 OG Xbox Enhanced titles.

2160p​
HDR​
Aftercharge
UNKNOWN​
HDR​
UNKNOWN​
HDR​
Awesome Pea
2160p​
Candleman
2160p​
Creepy Road
2160p​
Farm Together
UNKNOWN​
Hyper Jam
2160p​
UNKNOWN​
PixARK
2160p​
2160p​
HDR​
The Occupation
2160p​
HDR​
Treasure Stack
2160p​
Wow, even smaller games now reach the mark. Seems devs have figured out how to use the One X in more efficient way. Do we have a statistic of the percentage of 2160p games (dynamic included) that released since the launch of the Xbox One X in relation to all games released on Xbox since to that point in time?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

2160p​
HDR​
Aftercharge
UNKNOWN​
HDR​
UNKNOWN​
HDR​
Awesome Pea
2160p​
Candleman
2160p​
Creepy Road
2160p​
Farm Together
UNKNOWN​
Hyper Jam
2160p​
UNKNOWN​
PixARK
2160p​
2160p​
HDR​
The Occupation
2160p​
HDR​
Treasure Stack
2160p​
Since when is Candleman Enhanced?

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed Starlink pretty cheap, and it says it's X enhanced, but for the life of me I can't find exactly how it's enhanced. Has anyone figured it out? It's listed as unknown in the main post.
I've never been able to find any information concerning what enhancements it has. Even this Reddit post by UbiSoft goes nowhere.

Wow, even smaller games now reach the mark. Seems devs have figured out how to use the One X in more efficient way. Do we have a statistic of the percentage of 2160p games (dynamic included) that released since the launch of the Xbox One X in relation to all games released on Xbox since to that point in time?
I've been doing some digging, but that metric is going to be hard to determine, since there have been X updates for titles that were released before the system was released (The Master Chief Collection, for example).

Going by Wikipedia's "List of Xbox One Games" entry, there are 1,907 titles released for the Xbox One (across all regions). There are 364 Xbox One titles in the OP. 272 of them feature "2160" in their entry*. Ignoring a small margin of error for a whole myriad of different reasons, here's some fun statistics based on those numbers.

19.09% of all Xbox One titles feature an X Enhancement of some kind.
14.26% of all Xbox One titles are 4K, including dynamic rendering.
74.73% of all Xbox One titles in the OP are 4K, including dynamic rendering.

* My search grabbed titles like Attack on Titan 2, Quantum Break, and Unravel 2, which all are rendered below 2160p but have some element to them that is in 2160p (like Unravel 2's lighting is rendered in 2160p).

Since when is Candleman Enhanced?
I don't know the answer to that, but it's in Microsoft's official Xbox One X Enhanced list. Yesterday I took some time and compared their list against mine and updated the OP with any differences. Microsoft's list isn't the Bible, as I've seen errors/omissions in there in the past, so it could definitely be wrong. However, looking at the Microsoft Store entry, it doesn't list "X Enhanced" and I've found that to be a more accurate record than Microsoft's list.

So, if anyone with the game can post screenshots/impressions that would be helpful.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've been doing some digging, but that metric is going to be hard to determine, since there have been X updates for titles that were released before the system was released (The Master Chief Collection, for example).

Going by Wikipedia's "List of Xbox One Games" entry, there are 1,907 titles released for the Xbox One (across all regions). There are 364 Xbox One titles in the OP. 272 of them feature "2160" in their entry*. Ignoring a small margin of error for a whole myriad of different reasons, here's some fun statistics based on those numbers.

* My search grabbed titles like Attack on Titan 2, Quantum Break, and Unravel 2, which all are rendered below 2160p but have some element to them that is in 2160p (like Unravel 2's lighting is rendered in 2160p).
You should add that information into the OP in my opinion. Many thanks for the info!

Deleted member 15447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

DF video today says dynamic, usually only 4K when you're not moving or little happening, and often 75% scaled.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've never been able to find any information concerning what enhancements it has. Even this Reddit post by UbiSoft goes nowhere.

I don't know the answer to that, but it's in Microsoft's official Xbox One X Enhanced list. Yesterday I took some time and compared their list against mine and updated the OP with any differences. Microsoft's list isn't the Bible, as I've seen errors/omissions in there in the past, so it could definitely be wrong. However, looking at the Microsoft Store entry, it doesn't list "X Enhanced" and I've found that to be a more accurate record than Microsoft's list.

So, if anyone with the game can post screenshots/impressions that would be helpful.
Hmm, might be an Ace Combat situation and not be listed on the store as Enhanced despite that it is. Hope we find out because I've been looking at buying it and definitely would if it's Enhanced.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Will MK11 run in HDR and 4K on 1X?
NetherRealm Studios has not disclosed any X enhancements, but I would hope, at a minimum, to expect the same resolution as Injustice 2 (see below), as well as HDR support. It was reported yesterday that MK11 is running off a highly customized version of Unreal Engine 3. I would think that would also come with plenty of optimizations, along with familiarity with the X.

Injustice 2
1620p​
Improved shadow quality, enhanced motion blur, better depth of field, overall higher quality post-processing, increased character detail.​
HDR​

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Details on enhancements for Outward.

- Resolutions (Xbox: 900p - XboxOneX: 4K - PS4: 1080p - PS4 Pro: 2K upscale to 4K)
- field of vision is enhanced
- grass intensity and distance for changing LOD is better
- quality of water is enhanced in dungeons (water reflects surrounding objets)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Couldn't see this posted: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/03/08/inside-xbox-one-x-enhanced-division-2/
What specifically is your development team doing to enhance Tom Clancy's The Division 2 for Xbox One X?

Our team utilized the increased memory and powerful GPU to improve high resolution rendering in all areas of The Division 2's Washington D.C. We include support for features like HDR, and 4K rendering even on displays that only support 1080p, which helps leading to sharper details and less aliasing. Also, the faster hard drive makes load times better and in-game streaming faster.

How do these enhancements impact the gaming experience?

Players will experience a richer, more detailed and vibrant world for Agents to explore and interact with. The game will run smoother, look better, and load faster.

Why did your development team choose to focus on these enhancement areas?

The visual richness and sheer amount of detail in the world of The Division 2 is a key distinguishing feature. Taking that experience to the next level would strengthen that aspect even more. By rendering in 4k and taking advantage of the increased memory to allow crisper textures and more details, we judged that this would be the best possible player experience on the Xbox One X.
How do you expect fans of Tom Clancy's The Division 2will respond to seeing/playing it on Xbox One X with these enhancements?
We put a lot of work into the details of D.C., so we hope they are able to take in every little detail! A lot of research with specialists has been done to make sure that we produced the most realistic reproduction of D.C. 7 months after a catastrophic event.
The result is our massive open world, with lots to see and even more to experience in The Division 2. Players will be even more immersed in our world and truly experience what we call the "Environmental Storytelling"; you will always be tempted to try to understand what could have happened here.

How has the process been to get the game up and running on Xbox One X?

Getting everything up and running on the Xbox One X was very straightforward and we had it up and spinning after about 1 day of receiving the development Xbox One X hardware. Tuning the graphics experience took a bit more time, but the Xbox architecture, for both the base and X versions, is a natural fit for the internal architecture of the Snowdrop engine powering The Division 2.
What enhancement were you most excited about to explore leveraging for Tom Clancy's The Division 2on Xbox One X?
One thing we loved was being able to use 8k textures for our skies, which leads to super-detailed clouds and gloriously beautiful sunsets. This makes the weather changes and day/night cycle in Washington D.C. a truly breathtaking experience on the Xbox One X.

What does 4K and HDR mean for your game, games in the future and development at your studio?

The use of HDR can lead to a vastly better looking games where players can experience more details in dark areas, more vibrant colors, and even better looking lighting. The support of high resolution 4K rendering capabilities also leads to sharper details on all compatible monitors and TV screens. HDR and 4K together makes all the hard work of our art teams really stand out by giving it that extra 110% awesome.

Tom Clancy's The Division was visually spectacular on Xbox One and later Enhanced for Xbox One X, what was different about developing Tom Clancy's The Division 2 natively for Xbox One X?

Well, one of the key differences in The Division 2 is that we have completely overhauled the render pipeline to scale better with increased resolution. So, with 4k rendering this is where the Xbox One X really shines. This gives us even better rendering performance on the Xbox One X compared to the previous game, giving all the players out there a better experience.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
My life has been hell, due to work, but I've been stealth updating the thread when I can. I've updated the thread again today. Here's all the changes I've made since I last made a post about updates.

Devil May Cry 5
2160c​
HDR​
Ghost of a Tale
UNKNOWN​
Increased texture resolution.​
One Piece World Seeker
2160p​
HDR​
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
UNKNOWN
HDR​
ShellShock Live
UNKNOWN​
Starpoint Gemini Warlords
2160p​
Super Street: The Game
2160p​
The Division 2
2160p​
HDR​
VRR​

Oct 25, 2017
My life has been hell, due to work, but I've been stealth updating the thread when I can. I've updated the thread again today. Here's all the changes I've made since I last made a post about updates.

Devil May Cry 5
2160c​
HDR​
Ghost of a Tale
UNKNOWN​
Increased texture resolution.​
One Piece World Seeker
2160p​
HDR​
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
UNKNOWN​
HDR​
ShellShock Live
UNKNOWN​
Starpoint Gemini Warlords
2160p​
Super Street: The Game
2160p​
The Division 2
2160p​
HDR​
VRR​
Sekiro is 1800p on One X vs 900p on the One S and has an unlocked framerate which hovers around 40 fps

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-sekiro-shadows-die-twice-performance-analysis

Thanks for your work :)

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I do it... maybe it's just to torture myself, but I still hold out hope that Lost Odyssey will eventually get X enhanced. Playing it on a 4K set, at the resolution that the game runs at, IMO, is absolute torture :(