• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 isnt real HDR

They are basically faking it. Turn HDR off when you play RDR2 as SDR looks better

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly prefer HDR in RDR2 because it makes the Colour look more realistic, whereas with SDR I just can't get the colours to not look too colorful, too almost cartoony.

That's on a Samsung Q9FN by the way. On the Sony 930e I prefer SDR.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly prefer HDR in RDR2 because it makes the Colour look more realistic, whereas with SDR I just can't get the colours to not look too colorful, too almost cartoony.

I liked the daytime colors with HDR on, but night scenes were way too bright, so I just turned it off.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe your TV's settings are off? I have similar Samsung TV and I had to change many settings to get proper picture. Are you playing in game mode? Do you have Color Space Settings set to Auto (extremely important to change this to Auto)? Do you have BT.1886 gamma set to 2? Do you have color tone set to Warm1 or Warm2? Do you have Contrast set to 45 and Color to 25?

Read more here https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q9fn-q9f-q9-2018/settings

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I put this up on my twitter, but some of you may be interested, Sea of Thieves had an update that significantly changes the HDR, you actually have full control over peak brightness now and you can actually brighten it up signifcantly with the built in max luminance calibration. it will help those of you who found it too dim

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a video on how the HDR in RDR2 is faked and should be turned off

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I put this up on my twitter, but some of you may be interested, Sea of Thieves had an update that significantly changes the HDR, you actually have full control over peak brightness now and you can actually brighten it up signifcantly with the built in max luminance calibration. it will help those of you who found it too dim
I can't find these settings in the game, where are they?

Edit: Nvm I'm an idiot, I had HDR turned off from playing RDR2. Microsoft really needs to give us HDR toggles on a game by game basis I am sick of this.

Last edited:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
MS really needs to change HDR from a system level toggle to a per game toggle like on PS4. Half the games I'm playing right now have shitty HDR, and the other two are beautiful in HDR. I'm too lazy to toggle every time, so I just end up keeping it off now.

Last edited:

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Going by Digital Foundries E3 video on Kingdom Hearts and watching some off screen gameplay cutscenes are 30FPS and gameplay is ~60. Going to assume that cutscenes will be 4K like Digital Foundry counted from the trailer and gameplay will be 1440p or something to hit near 60.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Going off that WCCFTECH interview the game will actually run at a higher resolution and frame rate, but then in the next question they're asked if it's 60FPS and they say in then PSVR mode. So is it just fluctuating unlocked everywhere else? Why is it so hard for devs to just state the frame rate and resolution of their games.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe your TV's settings are off? I have similar Samsung TV and I had to change many settings to get proper picture. Are you playing in game mode? Do you have Color Space Settings set to Auto (extremely important to change this to Auto)? Do you have BT.1886 gamma set to 2? Do you have color tone set to Warm1 or Warm2? Do you have Contrast set to 45 and Color to 25?

Read more here https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q9fn-q9f-q9-2018/settings

Hmmm. I will give these a shot next time I play RDR2. Personally I find that (HDR) game mode is already too bright (not as in peak brightness) so I will leave Gamma alone. In fact I have the brightness setting itself to - 2. Take Fallout 4 for example, everything looks overly bright, especially interiors and that just looks wrong. Even poorly lit rooms are too bright and I never had that issue with previous TVs.

Oct 26, 2017
I can't find these settings in the game, where are they?

Edit: Nvm I'm an idiot, I had HDR turned off from playing RDR2. Microsoft really needs to give us HDR toggles on a game by game basis I am sick of this.
MS really needs to change HDR from a system level toggle to a per game toggle like on PS4. Half the games I'm playing right now have shitty HDR, and the other two are beautiful in HDR. I'm too lazy to toggle every time, so I just end up keeping it off now.

This so much!

But is that in MS or actually the dev? Don't devs just put that stuff in the games themselves? Take Monster Hunter World, on PS4 you have a ingame option for HDR, ideal. Not on Xbox, bullshit. I always assumed the dev just chose not to put it in Xbox version for whatever reason.

So it's on MS?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This so much!

But is that in MS or actually the dev? Don't devs just put that stuff in the games themselves? Take Monster Hunter World, on PS4 you have a ingame option for HDR, ideal. Not on Xbox, bullshit. I always assumed the dev just chose not to put it in Xbox version for whatever reason.

So it's on MS?
Microsoft doesn't allow in game toggles, this is completely on Microsoft.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Do any of you know if the Lego Harry Potter Collection is 4K on X? There's barely any info online. Just trying to decide between the Xbox and Switch versions and weighing the differences

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's true, some games do have it. Gears 4 has it too I believe but it requires you to go back to main menu. Or was that for resolution/framerate mode?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Because it would normally make more sense to have a system-level option for HDR (and everything, for that matter) because there should be no reason to want to disable HDR.

Unfortunately though, this isn't the case because of such shitty implementations on several games. Hopefully next-gen developers will be more experienced, and DV will become the standard for HDR and we won't have this huge difference on how each games' HDR performs between each display anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
Because it would normally make more sense to have a system-level option for HDR (and everything, for that matter) because there should be no reason to want to disable HDR.

Unfortunately though, this isn't the case because of such shitty implementations on several games. Hopefully next-gen developers will be more experienced, and DV will become the standard for HDR and we won't have this huge difference on how each games' HDR performs between each display anymore.

That's true. It should just work and actually improve the game but I'm afraid there will always be devs that mess it up. Even devs like Rockstar which really is a goddamn shame and they don't really seem to care much about it.

Or what to think of Nier Automata? Yeah, a real shame. But again, it seems MS accepts it after all. FH4 has a option like that, Hitman too I believe and there are more examples. But then you have the odd ones like MHW that don't have it, but do have it on PS4.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've been replaying Gears of War 3 on my X and I can't believe how good that game still holds up with the better resolution and performance. I remember being blown away while playing on my 360 when it came out, still impressed...
I played through Gears of War 3 again about 9 months ago to experience it on the X and was blown away by the graphics the entire time. I was constantly impressed that the 360 pulled that off. Of course, it helps that it's an amazing game in its own right and still holds up. I want to do the same for Gears 2, play it on the X, but the backlog is never ending.

Why is it so hard for devs to just state the frame rate and resolution of their games.
I don't know if "hard" is the right adverb to use. There's certainly reasons as to why we don't see transparency from every developer, we just don't know what they are. I feel your frustration, though. Every entry in the OP that says "UNKNOWN" drives me bonkers. 😤

Oct 26, 2017
I played through Gears of War 3 again about 9 months ago to experience it on the X and was blown away by the graphics the entire time. I was constantly impressed that the 360 pulled that off. Of course, it helps that it's an amazing game in its own right and still holds up. I want to do the same for Gears 2, play it on the X, but the backlog is never ending.

I don't know if "hard" is the right adverb to use. There's certainly reasons as to why we don't see transparency from every developer, we just don't know what they are. I feel your frustration, though. Every entry in the OP that says "UNKNOWN" drives me bonkers. 😤

In some ways Gears 3 looks better than 4. Epic had that engine nailed down for sure. They knew what they were doing.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 3 does indeed look amazing on X, but then you get to Gears Judgement and it looks an absolute fuzzy-ass mess, since it's not enhanced ;_;

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any word on any more BC X enhanced updates coming ? I'm waiting for an excuse to dive back into Fallout New Vegas, Dead Space & Mass Effect.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We rarely, if ever, get word if any more BC X enhancements are coming. We typically find out whenever they decide to announce them.

Ah okay, I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us next. In the meantime I'll continue replaying Oblivion for the umpteenth time before moving onto Fallout 3.. BC is not doing my backlog any favours.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay, I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store for us next. In the meantime I'll continue replaying Oblivion for the umpteenth time before moving onto Fallout 3.. BC is not doing my backlog any favours.
I think Fallout New Vegas has a really good chance getting X enganced due to Fallout 3 already being X enhanced and I don't think Bethesda are ever going to port/remaster the game to a newer gen. Dead Space and Mass Effect trilogy have decent chances, it'll all depend if EA plans to ever port/remaster them to a newer gen.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated the OP in preparation for tomorrow's release of Hitman HD.

Hitman HD Enhanced Collection
1800p
Increased texture resolution, upgraded texture formats, super-sampling, upscale support, heightened shadow maps and mirror resolutions, impproved lighting.​

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any word on any more BC X enhanced updates coming ? I'm waiting for an excuse to dive back into Fallout New Vegas, Dead Space & Mass Effect.
I'd be blown away if we got Mass Effect. I feel like EA is just going to eternally hold the idea of a ME remaster trilogy hostage, and 4K BC would render that pretty much useless.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'd be blown away if we got Mass Effect. I feel like EA is just going to eternally hold the idea of a ME remaster trilogy hostage, and 4K BC would render that pretty much useless.

To be fair people said there would be zero chance of RDR being enhanced too because of how much money Rockstar would have made off a remaster.