• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
1080p games tend to look not so amazing on bigger screens, like a 65 inch. Not happy at all with this bullshit.
Eh, just don't buy it. I support games that support my hardware so if they don't want to enhance for Pro or X, I skip their game or and buy it on PC at a fraction of the price.

But yes overall I agree, and I'm only at 55. The visual clarity that comes with higher or native resolution has spoiled me to the point where the only low res games I play are Nintendo.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
1080p games tend to look not so amazing on bigger screens, like a 65 inch. Not happy at all with this bullshit.

I think we all agree, but its also a 60fps "almost locked" game in the X and Pro versions.

The 60fps goal is always requested, in this case they delivered it on the enhanced versions. They had to compromise the resolution but it will always be like that (resolution vs framerate).

I must admit that what bothers me the most is the popin and draw-distances for popin and LOD. It looks the same as in the base consoles (very aggresive, you see the trees and mountains becoming visible or changing geometry very close to your plane view)

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Between barely making any enhancements to the game on capable harware and the double-talk about the full game being a VR experience, I've ended up with a fairly hostile outlook on AC7. What a disappointment.

Anyone suggesting these were necessary trade-offs (re: resolution vs performance) is wasting the room's time. Things as basic as the hud resolution and the lack of AA/aspect ratio options on PC are telling of how patently unnecessary some of these shortcomings are. Resolution all around is a bummer.

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
LOL Namco are trying too hard for me to not buy any of their games anymore.
First Tekken 7, then Tales of Vesperia. Now Ace Combat 7?
Achievement unlocked. One less customer.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
LOL Namco are trying too hard for me to not buy any of their games anymore.
First Tekken 7, then Tales of Vesperia. Now Ace Combat 7?
Achievement unlocked. One less customer.
Is it really that bad? It's definitely annoying to see the X having anything less than the best console version at this point, but not buying their games at all because of some rare drops and 1080p res seems a bit exaggerated imo. How many devs has delivered locked 60fps games on the X so far?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Is it really that bad? It's definitely annoying to see the X having anything less than the best console version at this point, but not buying their games at all because of some rare drops and 1080p res seems a bit exaggerated imo. How many devs has delivered locked 60fps games on the X so far?
It's more that the game is 1080p same as Pro and runs worse than Pro.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I don't agree with their conclusions that this amounts to ruining the underlying game experience, but it's a reasonable frustration when dramatically more powerful hardware sees no benefit in a situation where CPU elements are already accounted for in the "budget" (which allows the baseline 60 fps target) and remaining rendering capability appears unused.

As I said previously, if people think of this as a situation where the devs only included the equivalent to a performance mode (because they believe the 60 fps target is central to the game design), it comes across as better. That's how I think about it, and I like it that way. That being said, there's no worldly reason for the results we're seeing where even huds aren't made for full resolution, let alone effectively no rendering differences between vastly different hardware. The work already put into the PC version, UE4 as the engine, and the similar architecture between the Pro and 1X would normally present more opportunities for a more powerful platform. Having none does go against basically every expectation hobbyists would expect.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The work already put into the PC version, UE4 as the engine, and the similar architecture between the Pro and 1X would normally present more opportunities for a more powerful platform. Having none does go against basically every expectation hobbyists would expect.
That's true, Pro version performing better is annoying for sure and doesn't make sense. The X version just got less love I guess. But still, AAA games at 1080p with locked 60fps is rare on both Pro and X, the most common scenario is that they're almost 60fps, so I'm just thinking that it's exaggerated to essentially boycot Namco for the rare performance issues seen here.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated the OP with the following:

Guacamelee! 2
2160p​
Hive Jump
2160p​
Planet RIX-13
2160p​
Resident Evil 2
1620c, 60fps w/drops
HDR
Pks1.png
Smoke and Sacrifice
2160p​

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Heads up
ACG Review Resident Evil 2 remake states HDR is basically busted on both the X and Pro it can be a great looking game otherwise by atmosphere lighting

Thanks for updating the thread appreciate the work

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Anthem demo's title screen is realtime graphics and the resolutions seems pretty high! Might be CB rendered, but it looks between 1800p and 2160p to me!

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was going to play Resident Evil 2 on PS4 just because it feels right, given I played the original on my PSX back in the day. I'm not sure if I can turn down Dolby Atmos support, though. I wish more games utilized it.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Mutant Football League got an update released tonight. I fired it up, just to see if maybe it finally got X Enhanced...

And it has! It doesn't sort as an Enhanced game and it's not in Microsoft's list, but it's clearly 2160p now. A game that, notoriously (for me), was a muddy 1080p mess.

But, of course, there's always a catch: it has screen tearing now. I can deal with frame rate drops, lower resolutions, but screen tearing drives me crazy!
This is really strange - I was intrested in buying it as it's on sale, so before I searched here and saw this post I'd messaged the devs earlier this week asking if it was enhanced either for XB1X or PS4 Pro, and if not, which base console ran it at the higher resolution. Their reply was that it "isn't enhanced for either PS4 Pro or Xbox One X and on both consoles it has the same resolution" (but they didn't specify that resolution). I don't understand why they wouldn't advertise 2160p if it runs at that on the X - but I'm happy to hear that it does. Definitely makes it more likely I'll buy it on Xbox now, as I don't think my PC would run it too well.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Heads up
ACG Review Resident Evil 2 remake states HDR is basically busted on both the X and Pro it can be a great looking game otherwise by atmosphere lighting

Thanks for updating the thread appreciate the work
Sadly RE2 is not alone in its wonky HDR implementation. Red Dead Redemption 2 and Nier are 2 that immediately come to mind as also being disingenious.

I've taken the stance that if the title sends the TV an HDR10 signal, then it gets listed, regardless of the quality of the implementation. Details are practically non-existent on titles where HDR10 is implemented; only when the results are broken, so that's my reasoning. However, if it's something that

I was going to play Resident Evil 2 on PS4 just because it feels right, given I played the original on my PSX back in the day. I'm not sure if I can turn down Dolby Atmos support, though. I wish more games utilized it.
Dolby Atmos is reason enough to justify the purchase, for me. And considering one of the enemy types in RE2, I could see the overheads getting some love (if Capcom manages to do this right).

I've not played every Atmos title, but Shadow of the Tomb Raider is one I played that uses the soundscape to full effect. Music, ambient sounds, and primary sounds are fed to the overhead. It's my Atmos reference game, of the few I have played; it truly showcases how much more immersive of an experience Atmos brings to the gaming world.

This is really strange - I was intrested in buying it as it's on sale, so before I searched here and saw this post I'd messaged the devs earlier this week asking if it was enhanced either for XB1X or PS4 Pro, and if not, which base console ran it at the higher resolution. Their reply was that it "isn't enhanced for either PS4 Pro or Xbox One X and on both consoles it has the same resolution" (but they didn't specify that resolution). I don't understand why they wouldn't advertise 2160p if it runs at that on the X - but I'm happy to hear that it does. Definitely makes it more likely I'll buy it on Xbox now, as I don't think my PC would run it too well.
Strange, indeed. Last April the studio was at C2E2 and I asked them if the game was to get X support and the person manning the booth said it already did. I'll eat my hat, if I'm wrong, but it would take a blind person to not recognize that it's running at a very high resolution. If you buy it please come and report your findings. Nonetheless, it's a fun title easily worth $20.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Amen!

I completely forgot about this. I was getting the X version regardless thanks to what DF has already stated. However, Dolby Atmos is indeed a very important exclusive feature.

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
Strange, indeed. Last April the studio was at C2E2 and I asked them if the game was to get X support and the person manning the booth said it already did. I'll eat my hat, if I'm wrong, but it would take a blind person to not recognize that it's running at a very high resolution. If you buy it please come and report your findings. Nonetheless, it's a fun title easily worth $20.

It definitely got enhanced at some point. When I first bought the game it was really blurry. I don't think it was even 1080. Might have been 900 or even 720. Now it is much sharper during gameplay but the short videos of the players trashtalking are still very low res and blurry.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone if there's a list of FreeSync compatible games on Xbox One X?
From my understanding, Freesync is done at the system level so all games can benefit from it. However it's the monitor that your using that has to be freesync compatible if you want to see these results. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
From my understanding, Freesync is done at the system level so all games can benefit from it. However it's the monitor that your using that has to be freesync compatible if you want to see these results. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

FreeSync is system wide option but some games don't seem to work as intended. DF discussed this back in April 2018.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
DF tested quite a few games with full Vsync and they still exhibited judder.

From what I've read, FreeSync is supposed to eliminate screen-tearing in games with adaptive Vsync.
I could have sworn they said Kingdom Hearts 3 should work (although they hadn't tested) because it was vsynced in the video on that.

I wish someone reliable was keeping track of what is and isn't compatible.

This article literally says it didn't work in an adaptive vsync game they tested and only worked on games that were vsynced.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I could have sworn they said Kingdom Hearts 3 should work (although they hadn't tested) because it was vsynced in the video on that.

I wish someone reliable was keeping track of what is and isn't compatible.

This article literally says it didn't work in an adaptive vsync game they tested and only worked on games that were vsynced.

I hope DF gets the chance to test KH3 with FreeSync enabled. I would love to see a FreeSync compatible list as well, maybe someone with the right toolset can create a thread on here.

I guess FreeSync on Xbox One X doesn't work like its PC counterpart where it elimates screen tearing from the adaptive option.

I though Dead Souls 3 was fully Vsynced, that's another one which didn't work as intended under FreeSync.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

Bombfest
2160p​
HDR​
Kingdom Hearts 3
Default: 1440p 60fps w/drops (50-60fps avg)​
Stable: 1440p 30fps (frame pacing issues)​
Steamroll
2160p​
Unruly Heroes
2160p​
HDR​

To date, there are 328 Xbox One titles, 25 Xbox 360 titles, and 32 OG Xbox titles that feature X enhancements, for a grand total of 385 supported titles. It's been 451 days since the Xbox One X launched, which averages out to about 0.85 titles release a day.

It definitely got enhanced at some point. When I first bought the game it was really blurry. I don't think it was even 1080. Might have been 900 or even 720. Now it is much sharper during gameplay but the short videos of the players trashtalking are still very low res and blurry.
It's actually the depth-of-field that is screwed up; it's set almost a bit forward of where the actual models are. I noticed a character lean forward in one of those short cinematics and they became crystal clear... but only for a moment.

As I understand it, if the game is regularly vsynced it should work. If it is adaptive vsync it won't.
DF tested quite a few games with full Vsync and they still exhibited judder.

From what I've read, FreeSync is supposed to eliminate screen-tearing in games with adaptive Vsync.
See, now I thought FreeSync worked with titles that had unlocked framerate. Yeah, the messaging needs to be clearer on this feature (as well as its support).

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Bombfest
2160p​
HDR​
Kingdom Hearts 3
Default: 1440p 60fps w/drops (50-60fps avg)​
Stable: 1440p 30fps (frame pacing issues)​
Steamroll
2160p​
Unruly Heroes
2160p​
HDR​

To date, there are 328 Xbox One titles, 25 Xbox 360 titles, and 32 OG Xbox titles that feature X enhancements, for a grand total of 385 supported titles. It's been 451 days since the Xbox One X launched, which averages out to about 0.85 titles release a day.

It's actually the depth-of-field that is screwed up; it's set almost a bit forward of where the actual models are. I noticed a character lean forward in one of those short cinematics and they became crystal clear... but only for a moment.

See, now I thought FreeSync worked with titles that had unlocked framerate. Yeah, the messaging needs to be clearer on this feature (as well as its support).
Don't confuse unlocked with adaptive.

Adaptive vsync works by enabling screen tearing when the game drops below the target framerate, but being tear free as long as the game is running at or above the target framerate. It has the benefit of keeping tearing at the top of the screen where it is less noticeable and of slightly reducing image lag (because you aren't buffering a frame until the next display refresh as you do with triple buffer vsync).

Unlocked framerate in console gaming, generally refers to either a triple buffered vsync game or one that has vsync disabled.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Hopefully someone can make a thread listing the supported titles.

Don't confuse unlocked with adaptive.

Adaptive vsync works by enabling screen tearing when the game drops below the target framerate, but being tear free as long as the game is running at or above the target framerate. It has the benefit of keeping tearing at the top of the screen where it is less noticeable and of slightly reducing image lag (because you aren't buffering a frame until the next display refresh as you do with triple buffer vsync).

Unlocked framerate in console gaming, generally refers to either a triple buffered vsync game or one that has vsync disabled.

In here laid my confusion, I think. I thought Vsync turned off was similar to adaptive Vsync. Turns out I was wrong.

Freesync on Xbox One X doesn't support adaptive but might support the lack of Vsync in a title?

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
This thread reminds me of how little I know when it comes to resolution and HDR lol.

Me: Red Dead Redemption 2 looks great with HDR....

Turns out it really isn't HDR.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Hopefully someone can make a thread listing the supported titles.

In here laid my confusion, I think. I thought Vsync turned off was similar to adaptive Vsync. Turns out I was wrong.

Freesync on Xbox One X doesn't support adaptive but might support the lack of Vsync in a title?
As I understand it, freesync only works on titles that are triple buffered right now. I'm not 100% confident that that is accurate. I don't think there are any titles on Xbox One that have no form of vsync. I think it's all either double buffered (locks to 20, 30 or 60), triple buffered (unlocked below 60, but juddery) and adaptive.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
As I understand it, freesync only works on titles that are triple buffered right now. I'm not 100% confident that that is accurate. I don't think there are any titles on Xbox One that have no form of vsync. I think it's all either double buffered (locks to 20, 30 or 60), triple buffered (unlocked below 60, but juddery) and adaptive.
What is Shadow of the Tomb Raider? VRR definitely works on that.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Triple buffered without adaptive vsync? Thank you for sharing this info.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've added the following to the OP:

World Enduro Rally
2160p​

I noticed something while working on the OP with this title, in particular. If you check its Xbox.com page it lists under "Capabilities" "Variable Refresh Rate." 🤔

Kingdom Hearts III does not list this on its Xbox.com page. The Division 2 does, however (one that we know for certain supports the technology).

It's SuperBowl Sunday, so I'm not going to get to it today, but I intend on cross-referencing all the titles in the OP against their Xbox.com page to see what is listed as supporting Variable Refresh Rate; then I'll add that data to the OP.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Getting a XB1X Tuesday.

Which old games from the 360 era are worth revisiting? I do have a PS4 and Gaming PC. I am looking for "only on" XB1 or "play best" on XB1. Titles I have so far.

RDR1 4K
Halo Trilogy 4K
Gears of War 2/3 4k
Crackdown 4k
Metal Gear Solid 3
Lost Odyssey
Halo Reach

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting a XB1X Tuesday.

Which old games from the 360 era are worth revisiting? I do have a PS4 and Gaming PC. I am looking for "only on" XB1 or "play best" on XB1. Titles I have so far.

RDR1 4K
Halo Trilogy 4K
Gears of War 2/3 4k
Crackdown 4k
Metal Gear Solid 3
Lost Odyssey
Halo Reach
Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy 4k/Higher encoded CGI/Prerendered videos
Skate 3 4k
The Witcher 2 4k

OG Xbox 4k
Ninja Gaiden Black
Panzer Dragoon Saga

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Getting a XB1X Tuesday.

RDR1 4K
Halo Trilogy 4K
Gears of War 2/3 4k
Crackdown 4k
Metal Gear Solid 3
Lost Odyssey
Halo Reach

Main ones you're missing are The Witcher 2 and Forza Horizon 1.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Anyone notice that the Dark Souls Trilogy was added to the enhanced list "In Development".
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list?xr=shellnav
Oh damn, looks like it's happening. After Firewatch and Rime though I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Its because DS1 is enhanced so they're apparently allowed to label the whole thing as enhanced.

We had people get excited about Arkham Knight last year for the Arkham trilogy collection being listed as enhanced.
This is different, it is explicitly stating that the trilogy has X Enhancements in development.