• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Oh damn, looks like it's happening. After Firewatch and Rime though I wouldn't get your hopes up.

This is different, it is explicitly stating that the trilogy has X Enhancements in development.
I'd love to be wrong then. Let's hope they don't half ass it like DS3 on Pro. DS2 especially will have no issues running in 4K on an X.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Even if the game is just the 900p we already have but uncapped it'd be interesting to see how it'd perform.

Pro at 1080p does hang around 50fps so one might hope the X can get pretty close to a constant 60fps.

Yeah I played through it on a pro and traded it in, but wanted to do another run but found out the Xbox one version is 900p so decided to look around for a cheap PS4 copy again but if this is actually happening then I'll hold out for the X update.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
DOA 6 running at 4k in graphics mode while also having a "action" mode. Guessing it's for performance. Other platforms run only at 1080p and no HDR

https://wccftech.com/dead-or-alive-6-1080p-ps4-pro-4k-xb1x/
That's great to hear. I played the online demo on PS4 Pro and it really didn't look good at all, looked very low-res with aliasing - it makes sense now given it's only 1080p. It was the same with SC6. Good to hear X is getting taken advantage of - it's been concerning recently given what happened with AC6 and Anthem.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The HDR in Recore is the worst I have ever seen what is going on in this game. It breaks the contrast, the UI turns grey and colours look way off. Microsoft really needs to let us toggle HDR for each game.

Last edited:

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
The HDR I'm Recore is the worst I have ever seen what is going on in this game. It breaks the contrast, the UI turns grey and colours look way off. Microsoft really needs to let us toggle HDR for each game.

This. I've tried to play Recore a couple times since the big update, but the HDR is horrible and I'm too lazy to toggle it on and off in the system for one game I'm mildly interested in playing.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
DJ Lushious
Some new infos on games:
Anthem: native 2160p at 30fps: Source: Digital Foundry
The Division 2; Native 2160p, HDR; Source: Dev interview Inside Xbox 5th of February
Metro Exodus: Native 2160p, HDR, Dolby Atmos; Source: Dev Interview Inside Xbox 5th of February

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
DJ Lushious
Some new infos on games:
The Division 2; Native 2160p, HDR; Source: Dev interview Inside Xbox 5th of February
Metro Exodus: Native 2160p, HDR, Dolby Atmos; Source: Dev Interview Inside Xbox 5th of February
To be fair, the dev on Inside Xbox did not specify native 4K for Division 2, he just said something like "we will support 4k resolution". I doubt it will be that much higher than the 1800p we got in the original Division.
So the back cat enhanced stuff is fully dead then?
Where did you get that assumption from? We got 7 brand new enhanced games in October and November. As has been stated before these require a lot of extra work and they usually save up a few to launch at the same time so I doubt we will see anything new for a while after the FFXIII trilogy last November. I suspect they'll have a BC focussed Inside Xbox in the next two months or so with some new enhanced titles and OG Xbox games.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
To be fair, the dev on Inside Xbox did not specify native 4K for Division 2, he just said something like "we will support 4k resolution". I doubt it will be that much higher than the 1800p we got in the original Division.
You seem to be misinformed. The patched 1st Division was dynamic 2160p keeping the resolution 90% of the time (or even better). It was even mentioned in the latest Digital Foundry video from today besides that their pixel counting from the beta code points to native 2160p again. From the footage they had they couldn't identify a single instance of a dropped resolution.
Source: see comment above.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You seem to be misinformed. The patched 1st Division was dynamic 2160p keeping the resolution 90% of the time (or even better). It was even mentioned in the latest Digital Foundry video from today besides that their pixel counting from the beta code points to native 2160p again. From the footage they had they couldn't identify a single instance of a dropped resolution.

Also youtubers at the event were told it was running "native 4K" and they played on the X. Clearly that isn't absolute confirmation these days but adds to the mix....

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way Anthem is 30fps if the demo is representative of the final product.

Bioware said there are literally thousands of bug fixes that are in the final code that weren't available when they branched out the demo.

Now if that means it'll be a locked 30 is still to be seen.

Oct 26, 2017
There is no way Anthem is 30fps if the demo is representative of the final product.

Bioware said there are literally thousands of bug fixes that are in the final code that weren't available when they branched out the demo.

No way can they launch it like the demo. Because for one it just is barely stable ever, except the interiors that are smooth and two it's significantly performing under base PS4 and Pro. Come the hell on now.

I don't believe that has happened ever, and neither should it.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Ah, never mind my comment than. I was under the impression that Division was 1800p like Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey. My bad. Great to hear its actually native 4K!

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Those listing always reference the target frame rate which btw is a common practice by all platform holders and publishers. Though I will agree Anthem needs some more optimization for the Xbox One X. Indeed.
Ah, never mind my comment than. I was under the impression that Division was 1800p like Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey. My bad. Great to hear its actually native 4K!
np. Btw both ACs are Dynamic 2160p also. You should check your sources, bro ;) (those dynamic ranges in the OP are for measures drops, not representative to 80% of the time). I asked one of the programmers worked on the render engine about it just before the release of AC Origins and he confirmed it to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated the OP with the following:

Airheart - Tales of broken Wings
2160p​
HDR​
Spike Volleyball
2160p​

DJ Lushious
Some new infos on games:
Oh, wow, Metro Exodus is Atmos?! Thank you, I always appreciate the heads-up on this.
So the back cat enhanced stuff is fully dead then?
The Orange Box, Portal: Still Alive, Left 4 Dead, and Left 4 Dead 2 just got X Enhanced in late October. Oh, and FFXIII and its sequels. I don't understand where you're drawing this conclusion from, but I'd say no, it is definitely not dead.

Those listing always reference the target frame rate which btw is a common practice by all platform holders and publishers. Though I will agree Anthem needs some more optimization for the Xbox One X. Indeed.
And, as always, I will try to put in the OP if a title is prone to frame rate drops.
np. Btw ACO is Dynamic 2160p also. You should check your sources, bro ;)
Right, like the OP. 🤣[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Atmos work regardless of whether or not you're using the Atmos app? I have it but I know compresses the sound quality down to 16-bit 48KHz, which is a bit less than ideal.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Can anyone tell me if Alan Wake runs much better on the Xbox One X than the 360? I want to replay it, but I can wait until I get a One X someday if it's worth the wait.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
And, as always, I will try to put in the OP if a title is prone to frame rate drops.
About the frame rate drops with Anthem we should wait for the final product. I don't know if there already patches day 1 that may correct that. That said I will pass on the game anyway. There is only so much time for one game this type and I decided to go with The Division 2.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me if Alan Wake runs much better on the Xbox One X than the 360? I want to replay it, but I can wait until I get a One X someday if it's worth the wait.

On the X it will benefit from a few hardware boosts like forced v-sync and 16x anisotropic filtering along with just better performance overall. I would hold off until you can play it there.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Runs pretty much locked on Xbox One, plus no more screen tearing. Only benefit of the X would be 16x AF but you won't notice that a lot in a game like Alan Wake.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
About the frame rate drops with Anthem we should wait for the final product. I don't know if there already patches day 1 that may correct that. That said I will pass on the game anyway. There is only so much time for one game this type and I decided to go with The Division 2.

I feel like in situations like this we always hear "the demo is an old build the release version will be better" and it almost never is. I was getting drops that felt sub 20 in the empty hub city.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I feel like in situations like this we always hear "the demo is an old build the release version will be better" and it almost never is. I was getting drops that felt sub 20 in the empty hub city.
I agree in this case the code was not as old like in other betas recently. But it is normal to branch into another development path for the demo while optimization for the main game is ongoing. I would assume the demo is between 1-2 months behind regarding console-side code optimizations. I am certainly not talking about server-side optimizations because that was their whole reason to release a public beta. And it showed that they were not ready the first time. Both beta phases should had helped them to find the most annoying bugs in their net code.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Does Atmos work regardless of whether or not you're using the Atmos app? I have it but I know compresses the sound quality down to 16-bit 48KHz, which is a bit less than ideal.
You need the app in order for the Xbox to process Atmos, then you need to set your sound output to "Atmos" in Settings (which it sounds like you do). Where are you getting the information about it compressing the signal? Atmos is going to be a 48Khz no matter what (in the home), due to processing limitations.

I looked into your 16-bit claim, but in the PC space 24-bit 48Khz is an option, so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same for the Xbox. Bear in mind, I'm not in front of my AVR to test and see what Xbox Atmos feeds are being reported as.

I always do, but I just thought it worth mentioning that I try to cover as many bases as I can with the OP.

Speaking of, I am knee-deep in researching Variable Refresh Rate titles. I am looking forward to sharing my data with everyone!

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I can't remember a single instance with an "Alpha/Beta/Demo" this close to release that saw any improvements at all performance or IQ wise to the retail build. Anthem better be the first because the game can't launch with that performance. I can't believe they launched the demo in that state, game desperately needs a dynamic resolution.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Speaking of, I am knee-deep in researching Variable Refresh Rate titles. I am looking forward to sharing my data with everyone!
giphy.gif

I knew you had ambitions to do a EvilBoris and wanted to be featured by Digital Foundry ;-)

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about the overall output resolution but I can confirm both XB O X and PS4 Pro offer HD textures for Apex Legends.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017

Where did you get that assumption from? We got 7 brand new enhanced games in October and November. As has been stated before these require a lot of extra work and they usually save up a few to launch at the same time so I doubt we will see anything new for a while after the FFXIII trilogy last November. I suspect they'll have a BC focussed Inside Xbox in the next two months or so with some new enhanced titles and OG Xbox games.
The Div was mostly 4k on the X only dropping ocassionally and never to much from native. I won't be surprised to see The Div 2 being native at all times.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I knew you had ambitions to do a EvilBoris and wanted to be featured by Digital Foundry ;-)
Ha! Don't give me too much credit here. I don't have the resources of a Digital Foundry, let alone the technical prowess (I still can't pixel count worth a damn, haha).

The only definitive source I was able to find, and it was completely by accident, is Microsoft. Who'd have thunk it?! It bears mentioning that the Xbox One S can do VRR, same as the X, but I am limiting my findings only for X Enhanced titles.

I don't know about the overall output resolution but I can confirm both XB O X and PS4 Pro offer HD textures for Apex Legends.
Oh, nice! I had a little bit of time to fire up Apex Legends for the first time after work yesterday. It definitely doesn't look 2160p. I wouldn't be surprised if it performs the same as Titanfall 2, fluctuating from 1800p to 1440p, as I thought the image looked a little soft (maybe closer to 1440p?). I'll defer to the experts who can pixel count (Read: not me) for the final say, though.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, nice! I had a little bit of time to fire up Apex Legends for the first time after work yesterday. It definitely doesn't look 2160p. I wouldn't be surprised if it performs the same as Titanfall 2, fluctuating from 1800p to 1440p, as I thought the image looked a little soft (maybe closer to 1440p?). I'll defer to the experts who can pixel count (Read: not me) for the final say, though.

More stuff going than Titanfall bro especially the amount of players so it's kinda expected. There is still hope for optimisations though especially if the games meets so much success. Fortnite for example went from 30 FPS to 60 FPS with higher resolution updated later for XB O X and PS4 Pro.

Oct 26, 2017

Ha! Don't give me too much credit here. I don't have the resources of a Digital Foundry, let alone the technical prowess (I still can't pixel count worth a damn, haha).

The only definitive source I was able to find, and it was completely by accident, is Microsoft. Who'd have thunk it?! It bears mentioning that the Xbox One S can do VRR, same as the X, but I am limiting my findings only for X Enhanced titles.

Yep! I noticed that too. While Apex definitely looks really nice for a game with a engine that old, it absolutely looks somewhat soft. On top of that I sadly also noticed aliasing here and there. Nothing like a base Xbox One game or anything but neither a clean as hell image like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and RDR2.

Oct 26, 2017

I look forward to that. After having seen the benefits of VRR in KH3 I really want to try out some other games. I just can't come up with any.