• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I've got a Q9FN coming this Thursday and I can't decide if I'm going to direct connect the Xbox to the TV for VRR and auto game mode switching, or run it through my receiver and keep Dolby Atmos support.

Everything I've seen so far has the Q9FN Freesync implementation supporting 48-60fps at 4k like you mentioned.
Really I feel you should cancel your order and patiently wait just 6 weeks for the HDMI 2.1 TVs to release with full range VRR.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Really I feel you should cancel your order and patiently wait just 6 weeks for the HDMI 2.1 TVs to release with full range VRR.

I'm replacing a LG B6 OLED that had burn-in under warranty through Magnolia/Geek Squad. The replacement credit I was given was just over $2700, which means the Q9FN still ended up costing about $280 out of pocket. I thought about waiting for the 2019's, but then my out-of-pocket would have been quite a bit more and I just didn't feel like spending that much considering the big OLED purchase was just a 2 years ago.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Sep 21, 2018
My Xbox One X and S show L4D2 was updated, interesting. Wonder what Microsoft fixed. I wish Valve would fix the latency issues. I tried playing after the One X update for the game and the latency was atrocious, making it almost unplayable.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any news about the Xbox One X enhanced patch (not necessarily the super duper graphics pack DLC) for Minecraft? It has been since September 2018 since I have heard anything about it.

Also, has there been any word about Gears of War Remastered getting a patch? It seems odd that only Gears 2, 3, and 4 are being updated (even Judgement might be nice).

Lastly, I hope they do an Xbox One X Enhanced patch for Hollow Knight. I looked but didn't see anything about it potentially coming. I know they are showing off the Hornet DLC tomorrow.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I wouldn't hold your breath on Hollow Knight. Indie devs seem to skip out on X/Pro devkits

Shame, it looks great in 4K on PC

Everything looks great in 4K though.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't hold your breath on Hollow Knight. Indie devs seem to skip out on X/Pro devkits

Shame, it looks great in 4K on PC

Everything looks great in 4K though.

I ended up getting it on Xbox One because I had a ton of credit remaining. I also don't have 4k yet, but plan on getting it soon (although, I may only have my Xbox One X on it, at first).

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when we are going to get the option to automatically disable HDMI sound when connecting headphones to the controller? It's really annoying; works fine on PS4.

That would be great, I was surprised when I got my X and tried headphones for the first time and still heard audio from my receiver.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to link a Tweet from Dark1x with some nice screen grabs from Crackdown 3, but it looks like he's erring on the side of caution about whether the embargo is up for screen caps vs streaming.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I have found zero performance issues with Apex on my X. Sometimes the server will lag a bit at the start, but that is latency, not actual game engine performance-related.

That's kinda a load of crap, even the DF Analysis points out the performance issues (attributed to the higher base resolution and scaling, particular alpha effects) -- hell, even the drop sequence suffers from framerate issues not seen on the PS4 Pro but both mid-gen systems maintain the same averages overall. And again, overall performance is fine, but when shit gets crazy or there is a bit much happening on screen, the dips can be distracting; unless you have a magical X1X that just exceeds everyone else's X1X in the hardware department or hey maybe it just doesn't bother you that much (which is totally fine), otherwise, you're just talking out of your ass on this one, bud.

Last edited:

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I wonder when we are going to get the option to automatically disable HDMI sound when connecting headphones to the controller? It's really annoying; works fine on PS4.
That'd be great but hopefully it's optional. My partner loved watching me play horror games and I wear headphones but she listens to the TV. Was frustrating on the PS4 where there was no way to do both.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That's kinda a load of crap, even the DF Analysis points out the performance issues (attributed to the higher base resolution and scaling) unless you have a magical X1X that just exceeds everyone else's X1X in the hardware department, otherwise, you're just talking out of your ass on this one, bud.
Outside of the initial drop sequence, performance is near flawless for me on the X. The DF analysis showed X having a near 60fps average in actual gameplay (59.33 to be exact based on analysing 23 minutes of gameplay).

Sure a locked 60fps would be nicer, but it holds it enough for me to tolerate it without any issue and I usually hate unlocked framerates due to judder.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the initial drop sequence, performance is near flawless for me on the X. The DF analysis showed X having a near 60fps average in actual gameplay (59.33 to be exact based on analysing 23 minutes of gameplay).

oh come off it, man. I, along with my other buds, who love this game have noticed significant dips here and there when there is a combination of certain things/effects happening on screen; DF even points this out themselves if you actually listen (but not known in the video). Its not a big deal, but to say its always a flawless experience is a bit much.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
oh come off it, man. I, along with my other buds, who love this game have noticed significant dips here and there when there is a combination of certain things hapening on screen; DF even points this out themselves if you actually listen (but not known in the video). Its not a big deal, but to say its always a flawless experience is a bit much.
I did explicitly say "near flawless" not "always flawless".

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
oh come off it, man. I, along with my other buds, who love this game have noticed significant dips here and there when there is a combination of certain things/effects happening on screen; DF even points this out themselves if you actually listen (but not known in the video). Its not a big deal, but to say its always a flawless experience is a bit much.
A few very minor drops on X isn't anything to have a meltdown like this about.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
That's kinda a load of crap, even the DF Analysis points out the performance issues (attributed to the higher base resolution and scaling, particular alpha effects) -- hell, even the drop sequence suffers from framerate issues not seen on the PS4 Pro but both mid-gen systems maintain the same averages overall. And again, overall performance is fine, but when shit gets crazy or there is a bit much happening on screen, the dips can be distracting; unless you have a magical X1X that just exceeds everyone else's X1X in the hardware department or hey maybe it just doesn't bother you that much (which is totally fine), otherwise, you're just talking out of your ass on this one, bud.

I'm very sensitive to framerate fluctuations, frame pacing inconsistencies etc. Yes there are minor fluctuations but overall, its 95-99% of the time a very very smooth experience.

Considering that its a 1 week old-just launched game, with a huge map, with lots of teams and things going on, with a very good resolution and LOD details, distance rendering, antialiasinga and filtering, etc....

I think it does performs GREAT on my "magical" Xbox One X.

Maybe take your own graphs and compare them to Digital Foundries but this time consider more of the scenarios where you feel performance dips the most. I don't know, maybe add to the shared knowledge instead of coming in here to tell me that I talk crap out of my ass.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

You're overreacting here and putting words in others' mouths; they said near flawless, and gave the specific average from the DF analysis. I'm generally picky with framerates/pacing, but I can't say I've run into anything significant, and I'm currently at level 21. That's not saying drops don't happen, but the game feels plenty stable.

Either way, you've been hostile to pretty much anyone who disagreed with your read on this. Telling people they're "talking out of their ass," sarcastically calling them "bud," saying "oh come off it, man," and calling their take "a load of crap" is crossing the line for tone that I take seriously. If you mean well, people will be more receptive if you skip the quips.

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
If a frame rate averages 59.33 how can it not have frame pacing/rate issues? Whether or not they bother you is another thing.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I've made the following change to the OP:

Crackdown 3
2160p Dyn. (avg 2160p, scales horizontally as low as 2304x2160 in rare instances), 30fps
HDR
VRR
Pks1.png

The store says enhanced and 4K
*Checks OP*
Yep, it says so in the OP, too.

I'm replacing a LG B6 OLED that had burn-in under warranty through Magnolia/Geek Squad.
Smart man (or woman)! Whenever I feel my Vizio P65-C1 has had its run I am certain I'll replace it with an OLED. Though I never had burn-in when I owned a Pioneer Pro-101fd, it's been so nice to not even have a thought of that with my LCD panel. I'll want a burn-in warranty as a safety net and for peace of mind. Also, it's comforting to know Best Buy isn't sticking it to you on the replacement credit.

Been waiting for this, I think it it fixes the xbox sound settings do that they don't reset if you have atmos selected.
Can you elaborate on that further? I set my Xbox to "Atmos" only when I know I am going to play an Atmos title; 7.1 (and lower) feeds stay wrapped within an Atmos container with the Xbox Atmos setting, which prevents my AVR from upmixing those signals to use my overhead speakers (which, hey, I've got 'em, so I wanna us 'em!). Unless something has changed recently...

Damn more ATMOS support... might need to upgrade my sound system sooner than later
Yes, yes you do. Temper expectations, though, especially in the video game space (movies, too, actually). What little I've tested on FFXV and Gears of War 4, the overhead channels only get love when there is something overhead. Whereas, for example, Shadow of the Tomb Raider uses the overhead channels for music, ambient sounds, and sounds from above. It's my reference Atmos game. I'm anxious to see if Crackdown 3 is going to be a stellar Atmos title.

Also, has there been any word about Gears of War Remastered getting a patch? It seems odd that only Gears 2, 3, and 4 are being updated (even Judgement might be nice).
I've steered clear of Judgment since briefly playing it at PAX one year. However, I'd give it a concerted effort if it got the 2160p treatment.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I've made the following change to the OP:

Crackdown 3
2160p Dyn. (avg 2160p, scales horizontally as low as 2304x2160 in rare instances), 30fps​
HDR​
VRR​
Pks1.png

Can you elaborate on that further? I set my Xbox to "Atmos" only when I know I am going to play an Atmos title; 7.1 (and lower) feeds stay wrapped within an Atmos container with the Xbox Atmos setting, which prevents my AVR from upmixing those signals to use my overhead speakers (which, hey, I've got 'em, so I wanna us 'em!). Unless something has changed recently...

The xbox would revert to stereo or 7.1 upon boot. I'm not exactly sure what was triggering the change, it would happen more often than not though. I'll post some links:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xbox_One_X/comments/9yyynw/audio_resetting_from_bitstream_atmos_to_71/

This thread has way more detail:
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/9r85t6/xbox_keeps_reverting_to_stereo_audio_instead_of/

I'm not saying I've fixed my issue with it, but I'm in the insider program - I have access to alpha ring as well, but I swapped my xbox into the delta ring and so far have not had to change the settings back. So far it hasn't happened at all during the weekend, when it would happen nearly every time. Updated: Version is 1902 - Still so far no issue.
Edit: After 5 days it still hasn't reverted audio settings - I've been checking each time I started th Xbox inside and outside of a game; and still touch wood has stayed on HDMI Bitstream > Dolby Atmos

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit, I had a lot of doubts that we'd see this many demanding games reach a native 4K resolution, either locked or dynamic. I thought most demanding games would hit 1600p or maybe 1800p while most of the smaller, less demanding games were native 4K. Developers have really exceeded my expectations here.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Crackdown 3 is in Dolby Atmos. I'm playing the game with my ear to one of my 4 ceiling speakers and I've not heard a soud come from it. I'm going to keep at it for a few, but can anyone else corroborate this?

EDIT
Yeah, I even went to an area where there was sound coming from directly above my agent and silence. As soon as I switched my Xbox to 7.1 my ceiling speakers came alive with upmixing (I use DTS Neural:X).

Last edited:
OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I have updated the OP with the following. Anthem is tentative, but I am going by what its Xbox.com page is listing for now.

Almost There: The Platformer
2160p
HDR​
Anthem
2160p
HDR​
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles
2160p​

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
Have there been any actual benchmarks on the Magic 4k firmware update for the X? Wondering if it's mainly a placebo. Dashboard does feel snappier...

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Have there been any actual benchmarks on the Magic 4k firmware update for the X? Wondering if it's mainly a placebo. Dashboard does feel snappier...
It was mostly focussed on 4K video apps like Netflix and Youtube, which is why it was referred to as "4k video playback". Its mostly likely all placebo you're experiencing, since gaming or dashboard stuff has not been altered.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played the first game, it was a solid top-down Zelda clone. Funny how they're now "copying" the 3D Zeldas, but I don't mind at all. It looks a bit clunky so far but there's potential. Hopefully the first game's strengths translate well to this new approach.
You sure you aren't mixing this game up with Oceanhorn? This game has no combat and is closer to Stardew Valley than Zelda.

OP
OP
DJ Lushious

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Anybody know where Dirt Rally 2.0 is at on the X? 60fps is a given, but thinking resolution and HDR
As I come across information for games that aren't released I log it. I got this information from Microsoft's Official list. Consider this "tentative," but I have Dirt Rally 2.0 listed as the following:

DiRT Rally 2.0
2160p​
HDR​

Oct 26, 2017
As I come across information for games that aren't released I log it. I got this information from Microsoft's Official list. Consider this "tentative," but I have Dirt Rally 2.0 listed as the following:

DiRT Rally 2.0
2160p​
HDR​

But it ain't no Forza Horizon.

;)

that's a jab at that reviewer for FH3 that gave it a strangely low score because it "wasn't Dirt Rally. Lol

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway

DiRT Rally 2.0
2160p​
HDR​
Thanks!

But it ain't no Forza Horizon.

;)

that's a jab at that reviewer for FH3 that gave it a strangely low score because it "wasn't Dirt Rally. Lol
Lol, that sad review

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I did a proper stress test last night in Crackdown 3, and while I could get momentary framerate drop, even with so many ground/air units (alive and dead) that I'd struggle to count them, the black-hole grenade and cannon, a friendly railway laser, and a whole lotta other nonsense, this still mostly held where I'd consider it good performance. I'm really impressed.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Question about Gears of War 4

Are the enhanced effects, god rays etc, present in both visual and performance mode?

And how does all this compare to maxed PC?

Visuals: 2160p, 30fps Campaign/Horde. 2160p Dyn, 60fps Versus
Performance: 1080p, 60fps Campaign/Horde
Enhanced god rays, dynamic shadowing, further draw distances, surface space reflections, and higher resolution textures.
HDR
VRR