• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thought this was pretty shitty all around, although RiME and Bulletstorm were removed from the One X coming soon list months ago Firewatch is the latest to be removed. These had been advertised as coming to the X since before the X even released. These were listed on the official Xbox One X Enhancements coming soon list on Xbox's and Major Nelson's websites.

Campo Santo (Firewatch) last talked about their X Enhancements in a blog post earlier this year, saying it would come after the Switch release. Then out of nowhere just after the Switch version released it's now no longer being advertised.

I understand there are financial and logistical issues in updating these games for the X, but if they're going to advertise these features for so long they should at least make an announcement detailing the cancellation. This just feels like trying to sweep it under the rug. Looking at Reddit it's not hard to see dissapointed and angry users who bought these games on sales in anticipation of the X Enhancemnts.

Nov 30, 2018
All three of those don't seem like they'd benefit much.

I mean RiME and Firewatch look good on the Pro but their art styles looked good at 1080p as well.

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
All three of those don't seem like they'd benefit much.

I mean RiME and Firewatch look good on the Pro but their art styles looked good at 1080p as well.
Firewatch is 756p with bad framepacing and horrible draw distance on Xbox. It's a complete mess of a port that desperately needed more attention. They had stated that the optimisations they had developed for Switch would come to the base Xbox One as well but now who knows if that's happening. Not sure about RiME but I doubt it's 1080p there either.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
thats a bummer. now that i have a x that would give me a good reason to replay at least rime

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean who dropped the ball? I feel like those are the people who should say shit. MS should certainly offer refunds to those who feel cheated.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I play RiME at 4k on my PC even though it runs at like 10fps simply because it looks so stunning.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm disappointed about both Firewatch and RiME; I was holding out on playing both for so long due to the announced X enhancements.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bummer about Firewatch, I was really eager to double dip and play that again in HDR. I guess maybe they're too deep into development on Valley to spare the resources. Do Chris and Jake post here or did they only chime in from time to time at the old place?

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Bummer about Firewatch, I was really eager to double dip and play that again in HDR. I guess maybe they're too deep into development on Valley to spare the resources. Do Chris and Jake post here or did they only chime in from time to time at the old place?
They do on occasion but they haven't replied to any dm's. No one from Campo Santo has been replying to any of the numerous tweets they're getting about this either.

Honestly the lack of communication or apology on this is turning me off ever buying a Campo Santo game again.

Oct 26, 2017
They do on occasion but they haven't replied to any dm's. No one from Campo Santo has been replying to any of the numerous tweets they're getting about this either.

Honestly the lack of communication or apology on this is turning me off ever buying a Campo Santo game again.

I mean, you can't, Campo Santo is no more.
They're all at Valve now. In the Valley of Gods is a 100% Valve game.

But yeah, it's bothersome.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is the worst part about the mid gen refresh

Lots of games I'd love to play on 'The World's Most Powerful Console's except they look worse than they do on other platforms there...

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure you should be able to get refunds for these games.

Did they officially cancel console versions?

In the Valley of Gods was never announced for consoles. It's Windows, MacOS and Linux (for now, though).

But the point I was trying to make is that Campo Santo won't make any new game. ItVoG is a Valve game.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I bought Firewatch like a year ago on sale but haven't played it yet. Would have been nice to to have the patch now since I have and X and a 4K tv.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing it's hard to work on improvements when your full time job belongs to a different company.

I do wish they'd comment on the matter, but I'm guessing that will come soon. Most of the Campo Santo crew have an open presence on Twitter.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why wouldn't you wait until the patch released?

Maybe they were on sale? I don't know. But if someone says a patch is incoming and then it's cancelled, obviously you should be able to refund. I don't get how this is so shocking. You can refund games on steam as long as you haven't played more than a certain amount. If you played hours then obviously you shouldn't be given the refund.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Maybe they were on sale? I don't know. But if someone says a patch is incoming and then it's cancelled, obviously you should be able to refund. I don't get how this is so shocking. You can refund games on steam as long as you haven't played more than a certain amount. If you played hours then obviously you shouldn't be given the refund.
yhea... just stop, not making much sense.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
is in the current eula that they offer refunds to unplayed games weeks after the purchase been made? No? Then maybe you shouldn't had bought it on a "promise" of the developer.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm torn on this.

Obviously the X enhancements are out of Microsoft's hands for these third party titles. And rather than advertising them in the traditional sense, they're just providing a useful list showing which games are enhanced - something I wish Sony would do for Pro.

But on the other hand, the danger of a list like this is clearly that third parties can cancel their plans at any time.

Really, they just needed to add a disclaimer to the bottom of the list. Otherwise the alternative is no list, and I'd rather have the list.

However I agree that they should have kept the games on the list and put "cancelled" rather than deleting altogether.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
is in the current eula that they offer refunds to unplayed games weeks after the purchase been made? No? Then maybe you shouldn't had bought it on a "promise" of the developer.
In Europe at least, customers who have purchased something are legally entitled to what is advertised, if that isn't delivered then you are entitled to a refund. It's common sense.

Oct 28, 2017
I have not played either games, but it would have been awesome to see them both enhanced for the X, as I love the art style of these games. I guess I'll just stick to playing them as is. Bummer...

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Firewatch is 756p with bad framepacing and horrible draw distance on Xbox. It's a complete mess of a port that desperately needed more attention. They had stated that the optimisations they had developed for Switch would come to the base Xbox One as well but now who knows if that's happening. Not sure about RiME but I doubt it's 1080p there either.
Played both on base Xbox One. Ryme runs and looks great, I'm sure the enhancement would've been nice but it's not a drama. Firewatch, on the other hand, runs terribly. The graphics look fine despite of resolution due to the art style, but the frame rate is atrocious. I'd assume that problem would be minimized by the X even without enhancement, but still.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I didn't buy any of these games. I'm saying it would be nice if MS offered refunds for what probably is a small percentage of people who bought in this window. I'm not arguing what is or isn't in the EULA.

OP
OP
Railgun

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Still no word from anyone at Campo Santo. Looks like they're just ignoring it and hoping it blows over. I'm sorry but not even acknowledging this is not good enough.

Thats not how it works....
Maybe not in the US, but elsewhere it's pretty normal to expect a refund on a product that advertises a feature and then doesn't deliver.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
ID@Xbox is hit and miss when it comes to X enhancements. Very few of those developers bother enhancing their games even if they are successful hits. I assume it's because the games are typically developed by all of 4 people who would rather be working on something new than touching old code.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bummer, but hey, things/plans change. Played all of these on other platforms, but would have been cool to revisit them on X w/ enhancements.