• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
I got an Xbox One X yesterday. I spent a few minutes setting up my console and all that. A few impressions from a lapsed Xbox owner (I used to have a 360 back in the day).

1. The dashboard is awful. I just can't find anything in it. Is there an option to have a row of games, like in the PS4 or the Switch? I've only installed a few so far, but they appear in a vertical list. And not a vertical list like the XMB in a PSP, but rather each game has its own dedicated screen. It's tedious, to say the least. And the dash is full of recommended apps, app recommendations, and ads for games... :/ What can I do to make it more streamlined?

1b. Speaking of which... isn't the dashboard really, really laggy? Is there anything I can do to make it snappier?

1c. Coming from the Switch and the PS4: pressing the Home button brings up a guide-styled menu. Can I make it go to my Home screen?

2. I can't believe the gamepad uses AA batteries and that I need to actually buy a Play and Charge kit to make it work like a regular, 2020 Century controller.

2b. Connecting a pair of headphones to the gamepad doesn't get you audio via Bluetooth? Again, I can do that with a DualShock 4. Why do I need to buy an extra piece of equipment to enable basic functionality?

3. The streaming from the console to a PC is really good. Very good quality and response time, though I noticed a little lag in the audio.

4. I really like the integration of other apps with the console. It makes everything feel truly connected.

5. Game Pass is awesome. I mean... it just is.
Can't help with everything on the list but I'll try:

Navigation is unfortunately a bit more involved than a PS4 or Switch. To get to stuff you need to the press the guide button and select what you want - Games and apps, friends etc. which brings up more lists.

Honestly I don't even use the home screen unless I want to launch the last 3 games/apps I used. I just navigate using the guide.

Dashboard hasn't been laggy for me since the latest dashboard update which put shortcuts for the game list on the main screen.

AA rechargeables give me over 20 hours of use and I have 16 that I use around the house for other controllers and remotes. My DS4 lasts for 7 hours from full charge which blows. There's been advancements in built in battery tech such as the Wii u pro and switch pro controllers which last for like 50 hours on a single charge but MS and Sony ain't there lol

Oct 27, 2017
Can't help with everything on the list but I'll try:

Navigation is unfortunately a bit more involved than a PS4 or Switch. To get to stuff you need to the press the guide button and select what you want - Games and apps, friends etc. which brings up more lists.

Honestly I don't even use the home screen unless I want to launch the last 3 games/apps I used. I just navigate using the guide.

Dashboard hasn't been laggy for me since the latest dashboard update which put shortcuts for the game list on the main screen.

AA rechargeables give me over 20 hours of use and I have 16 that I use around the house for other controllers and remotes. My DS4 lasts for 7 hours from full charge which blows. There's been advancements in built in battery tech such as the Wii u pro and switch pro controllers which last for like 50 hours on a single charge but MS and Sony ain't there lol

Thanks for the tips!

I ended up disabling the option for smooth transitions and that, paradoxically, has made my dashboard a lot snappier. I removed every shortcut from the Home tab and I only use the "All Games and Apps" (or something like that) to access my games. It's a few more steps than on PS4, but it's much more organized that way.

As for the gamepad, I'm used to using a Nacon Revolution 2 on PS4, which is wired, so the idea of having to recharge the battery of my controller frequently is a bit weird to me. Maybe I'll just plug a USB cable to it and used it wired...

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips!

I ended up disabling the option for smooth transitions and that, paradoxically, has made my dashboard a lot snappier. I removed every shortcut from the Home tab and I only use the "All Games and Apps" (or something like that) to access my games. It's a few more steps than on PS4, but it's much more organized that way.

As for the gamepad, I'm used to using a Nacon Revolution 2 on PS4, which is wired, so the idea of having to recharge the battery of my controller frequently is a bit weird to me. Maybe I'll just plug a USB cable to it and used it wired...

Swapping our rechargeable AA is the way to go. We use eneloop for everything.

Actually the Pro controller 2 is the way to go but expensive.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My Xbox One X launch controller's RB button has died. I've used a duster to make sure it wasn't gunked up, but it looks to be dead. RIP

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The Jedi Fallen Order Xbox One X Bundle is $349 at Best Buy with a free controller and I hate that I'm tempted to buy it. I could probably sell the controller and game and get $50 to $75 back as well, bringing the final price down to below $300.

I don't need more videogame systems. I've got too much to play as it is.

Fuck.

Edit: If they took $150 off the Xbox One S instead bringing that down to $150 I definitely wouldn't have been able to stop myself.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
The Jedi Fallen Order Xbox One X Bundle is $349 at Best Buy with a free controller and I hate that I'm tempted to buy it. I could probably sell the controller and game and get $50 to $75 back as well, bringing the final price down to below $300.

I don't need more videogame systems. I've got too much to play as it is.

Fuck.

Edit: If they took $150 off the Xbox One S instead bringing that down to $150 I definitely wouldn't have been able to stop myself.

You should definitely not buy it. I bought an Xbox One X in November and now I want to re-buy all of my games on Xbox. I'm pissed at myself that I waited this long to get an Xbox.

In my opinion the UI's a bit crap, but otherwise it's amazing.

Save yourself the pain and anguish and remain ignorant to its majesty.

Last edited:

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was playing Rocket League when my controller just stopped responding. The light on the Xbox button was still on but pressing buttons didn't do anything. Had to take the batteries out and back in for it to start working again. Weird. First time something like this happened.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The updated Dashboard is about 400% faster than the previous version on One X.

Edit: Whoops, just got done installing a new update and now all of the 'tab' contents are cropped off the top of my TV when I scroll down

Edit 2: As I was typing the first edit, this fixed itself. Perhaps it has to do with loading in tiles?

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
How do you get USB drives to power off when turning the Xbox off??. Just got one of those 8TB WD Black usb drives and its stays powered on when i turn the xbox off!. I have tired the power off USB devices on system shutdown option but that does help, also thats only available in the Instant One power option which i never use

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone messed with console streaming to pc? Both my pc and xbox are wired on the same network and I have it set to "very high" quality, but the actual quality is very muddy. I stream from my pc to my iPad with really nice quality over wireless, so it seems to be a matter of configuration.

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
So a friend of mine gave me his XBOX Elite Series 1 controller because it's "broke", he ended up getting a series 2. The only thing I notice is that the hair trigger stop On the RT does not function at all, you can feel it slip past the STOP point. Is there a fix for this?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The first one is pretty "easy" to take apart as long as you have a ... Torx 8 security screw driver or whatever it is. You can pick up a set for $10 at your hardware store. Look for YouTube videos on fixing defects like that. I fixed an issue with my original one too (loose analog sticks) using $0.10 of cotton balls.

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this post is slightly OT, but I couldn't find a dedicated general Xbox One thread.

I'm going abroad for a year, so I'm letting my brother borrow my Xbox One. I've got my own Xbox Live profile on there, with a bit of digital content (games, DLC) tied to it that he'd like to benefit from (plus Xbox Live Ultimate subscription, if possible), but he'd also like to use his own profile for achievements and game saves etc. So is there any way to set up the accounts on an Xbox so that one account can share its games and DLC with the other? And if so, how do I go about that?
Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide. :)

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Sorry if this post is slightly OT, but I couldn't find a dedicated general Xbox One thread.

I'm going abroad for a year, so I'm letting my brother borrow my Xbox One. I've got my own Xbox Live profile on there, with a bit of digital content (games, DLC) tied to it that he'd like to benefit from (plus Xbox Live Ultimate subscription, if possible), but he'd also like to use his own profile for achievements and game saves etc. So is there any way to set up the accounts on an Xbox so that one account can share its games and DLC with the other? And if so, how do I go about that?
Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide. :)
Everyone on your home console should be able to share everything. But leave him your password (do you have 2 factor?) because signing in is sometimes unavoidable.

Also, you can explicitly share Gold with a family member. It's been years since I did that though.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, guys. Question for those that might know. Is it possible to stress USB controller BW to the point of affecting KB/m inputs on Scorpio? I have a Samsung external SSD running games, Razer turret with m/KB both hardwired to USBs, elite controller wireless for A40s running Atmos. 4k Freesync2 HDR output to AOC Agon monitor. I get some major input lag when things get heated in Gears 5. COD acts funky with a M/KB as well. Not really dropped frames but if I pan camera fast and stop mouse, it'll still be moving to catch up for example. Perhaps bugs or have I pushed performance too hard and inputs start suffering. It's an odd issue.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I have a streaming question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. My friends and I are doing our own league in Rocket League, and streaming the games. When I stream on Mixer from the console, it works fine, we all watch, but then my stream is never saved. On my account, "past streams" is just empty. What am I doing wrong where those don't show up?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I have a streaming question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. My friends and I are doing our own league in Rocket League, and streaming the games. When I stream on Mixer from the console, it works fine, we all watch, but then my stream is never saved. On my account, "past streams" is just empty. What am I doing wrong where those don't show up?
Should be the option in your profile > broadcast > preferences and select "keep a recording of my streams". Go to mixer.com to do this.

ColdLavaBunny

Oct 29, 2017
For Gears you're fortunate that Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3 are X Enhanced, running at a full 4K. Then you have Gears of War Remastered, which is a fantastic version. Playing through Gears of War 1-4 for the first time? Oh, to be you! All 4 of those games are excellent and still hold up (and hold up even better on the X).

For Halo, hit up the Master Chief Collection then move on to 5. You're getting full X support on all of those titles.

I'd hold off on Crackdown and jump straight into 3 in a month.

Other MS properties that are wroth playing? It's all subjective, of course, but here's my picks:

Quantum Break
Forza Horizon 4
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
Halo Wars 2

Be sure to check out the Xbox One X Enhanced Games thread, as well. It's a great resource for finding games that support your new Xbox One X.

Oh, and get Game Pass! It's a crazy good deal and will net you some of the above games, plus plenty more to keep you occupied.
God, was this over a year ago? Life didn't give me the time to dive into the Xbox as I would have liked and for a while my powerful new console was mostly used as a Netflix machine. However, with my current commute down from 3hrs a day to 0 I am finally giving it some love. Despite initially good first impressions I bounced off Forza Horizon but on a whim I fired it up again and after a bit set it to performance mode. Whilst the graphics take a hit, god it's finally the Burnout Paradise successor of my dreams. Really enjoying it now. I'm mostly not that fussy about frame rates but the difference between 30 and 60 on arcade racers is real. Now I have the time I've finally turned on my Game Pass trial. I've downloaded the Master Chief collection and started Halo CE - only completed the first level but it really holds up, the feel of the shooting is highly satisfying, in a visceral way that reminds me of Doom 1/2 back in the day (yes I'm old). I also have Gears 5 downloading but now I've re-read your advice (and Halo 1 is proving to have held up so well) I'm tempted to go with the Gears 1 re-master first, once I'm Halo'd out.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Anyone care to share where they will be preordering their Series X console?

My only in-person option is Best Buy but I hate that giant sticker they put on every preorder.

I don't buy stuff on Amazon anymore.

Is buying directly from the Microsoft store a nightmare?

I'm in the US.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I'd reconsider whatever problem you have with Amazon. they are the easiest place to get a system day one.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone care to share where they will be preordering their Series X console?

My only in-person option is Best Buy but I hate that giant sticker they put on every preorder.

I don't buy stuff on Amazon anymore.

Is buying directly from the Microsoft store a nightmare?

I'm in the US.

Microsoft Store was a smooth experience, at least for getting a day one Xbox One. If I were to rank stores by preference I would have Costco at 1 (as they have the best return policy/warranty), Amazon second, BB third, Walmart/Target 4th, and GS last. I will be buying my XSX most like from GS if they are still in business due to having credit there that I need to spend before they go bankrupt.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know where to ask this and didn't really want to start a new thread:

Do we know if Series X (or even PS5) is going to have wifi 6? I think it'd be really important that they feature it, as it can significantly reduce latency over wifi.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
If I get a preowned copy of Rare Replay, will everything work? I remember hearing some games are download-only. Will just owning the disc be enough like BC titles from previous Xbox generations?

Oct 27, 2017
I have this thing, when I download a anything big on my X, the Internet router resets itself, and it keeps happening until I do a full shut down, so I have to download everything little by little, any idea what can be happening?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I have this thing, when I download a anything big on my X, the Internet router resets itself, and it keeps happening until I do a full shut down, so I have to download everything little by little, any idea what can be happening?

Wired connection or wireless? I had an odd behavior that fixed itself a few updates back where my system worked fine over wireless, but a wired connection had persistent connection cycles. This behavior was just on the Xbox, mind you, not the router itself. I'm not aware of behavior on a connected device (other than connecting to the router's maintenance IP) that could cause resets on the router side.

Oct 27, 2017
Wired connection or wireless? I had an odd behavior that fixed itself a few updates back where my system worked fine over wireless, but a wired connection had persistent connection cycles. This behavior was just on the Xbox, mind you, not the router itself. I'm not aware of behavior on a connected device (other than connecting to the router's maintenance IP) that could cause resets on the router side.
It is connected via 5Ghz WiFi. It downloads, lets say, 10 GB or so, and then the whole network dies because the modem is resetting. After that it resets every 5-10 minutes. And yeah it only happens on my Xbox, I've downloaded larger games on my PC with no problem.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It is connected via 5Ghz WiFi. It downloads, lets say, 10 GB or so, and then the whole network dies because the modem is resetting. After that it resets every 5-10 minutes. And yeah it only happens on my Xbox, I've downloaded larger games on my PC with no problem.

I guess that's what I mean; Does the router reset effect everything connected to it when the Xbox is present? Like, is the router actually resetting? If that's happening, that sounds more like an issue on the router's end. "Forgetting" the connection on the Xbox and trying vanilla settings on the router would be the next step for that.

The other (easier) thing to test would be a 2.4 ghz connection for the Xbox, and then a wired connection, and see if the behavior continues there.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess that's what I mean; Does the router reset effect everything connected to it when the Xbox is present? Like, is the router actually resetting? If that's happening, that sounds more like an issue on the router's end. "Forgetting" the connection on the Xbox and trying vanilla settings on the router would be the next step for that.

The other (easier) thing to test would be a 2.4 ghz connection for the Xbox, and then a wired connection, and see if the behavior continues there.
The router lights go out and does the whole power cycle. And yeah, my phone, PC, work laptop etc all disconnect while it is doing so. I tested the 2.4Ghz band but the speed was crap and unfortunately wired isn't an option right now. I tried to get into my router's (well, the one the ISP provided me) control panel but couldn't. And I wouldn't know what to check for anyway.