• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Just got the console and it refuses to let me have 5.1 audio output. Keeps giving me an error message. The only time it lets me pick 5.1 without an error message is if I go back to Video Settings -> Advanced Video Settings and change Auto Detect to HDMI. However, if I do that, I can't do 4K HDR anymore...

Just fixed the problem. For those that might have similar issues, if you can't get 5.1 uncompressed, you gotta use a bitstream format (Dolby Digital or DTS Surround). However, you must also make sure to change your TV settings so that the preferred audio format being passed through via optical or HDMI ARC is also the bitsream format.

It's just weird since i had zero issues with 5.1 uncompressed on my original xbox one. Never had the S though so i dont know if there were similar issues with that one.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Please tell me you are using the stand for it??? With the stand the vents would not be blocked. If you are not using a stand, you are going to have issues. There should be no difference in the position of the console for cooling as long as you are using the stand. The stand gives more than enough room for air to get in to cool the system.

I haven't tried standing vertically because I wrongly assumed the stand would block the vent. Good news thanks for the correction.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how everyone is expecting the Xbox X to be quite when running high end games? I get none of you are PC gamers, but have you seen what's under the hood of the Xbox one X?

It's bound to make more than your average noise of your ps4\xbox one, everyone's room temperature, humidity, temperature in air flow is different, which will effect the temperatures your X is running at and makes it hard to compare to each other.

Stick a termometer and hydrometer where your X is if you want to compare machines. As you need to compare the environment they are living in.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how everyone is expecting the Xbox X to be quite when running high end games? I get none of you are PC gamers, but have you seen what's under the hood of the Xbox one X?

It's bound to make more than your average noise of your ps4\xbox one, but everyone's room temperature, humidity, temperature in flow is different, which will effect the temperatures your X is running at and makes it hard to compare to each other.

Stick a termometer and hydrometer where your X is if you want to compare machines. As you need to also compare the environment they are living in.

My X is damn near silent compared to my Pro.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to see a list on the console?

I thought I read in this thread someone mentioned something about seeing a game in a list

Also, does he game have to update or does it just automatically do it?

If you go into storage area in system settings there is an option to use less space and it will show you a list of games on your console that it supports and how much space it saves. From there you can shrink them.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can you guys recommend me some headphones for the Xbox? I'm looking for something that works great with Dolby Atmos.

Anyone?

I recently got these about 2 months ago - http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/rig-800lx. Overall they are solid head phones so far. They go for $149.99 in the US and include a code for Dolby ATMOS, so you don't have to pay the $14.99 fee. Battery life is usually around 22 hours, charging for 30 minutes gives you a 3 hour charge. They're fully wireless and only use a small corded USB adapter that gets plugged in and also work with PC. Headset is super light weight too. If you're in the US, pick them up from Best Buy with the extended warranty (they always exchange headsets no questions asked, so even if in the future you want a newer version or other headsets, they swap them out). Been doing it since MW2 days when I got my first gaming headsets haha

As far as the newsletter, can't help you there. I just follow the Xbox subreddit and this place for news.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does World War II campaign hitch for anyone else?
Same as Battlefront II multiplayer, these hitches every 10 seconds.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
No it isn't, it should be 30.5GB in the end.

I researched a bit and it seems to be the normal size on the X now. The console has this new shrink and packing feature since one of the last builds where your console automatically shrink down the size of some games and deletes files that i doesn't need. This is what i found:

Also this:
http://articles.gamerheadquarters.com/article1003riseofthetombraiderxboxonexinstallsize.html
Wow never knew this option was there. Just shrunk Quantum Break and saved 18gb of space. Rad

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolute fucking amazeballs. Both the game, and how extraordinarily good it looks on the X in 4K. In my top 5 of all time. Just be prepared for the old school camera controls, but other than that, perfection.

Thanks. I played the fuck out of the series and preferred 2, but time to dl it.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Played all the way through Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance again on the X. Game looks really fantastic on my Vizio 4K TV, plus the consistent 60 fps frame rate with no drops really enhances the game experience. So far I've been incredibly impressed with the backwards compatibility of the console. I just wish we could play any game on both the OG and 360 library. Licensing issues I'm sure is what to blame for it but at least the list is pretty solid in it's current state.

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish we could play any game on both the OG and 360 library. Licensing issues I'm sure is what to blame for it but at least the list is pretty solid in it's current state.
Months ago I got Tales of Vesperia for $5 in a gamble that they'd bring it to BC but so far Bandai-Namco support has been pretty random.

I'd totally get Lolipop Chainsaw

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can you guys recommend me some headphones for the Xbox? I'm looking for something that works great with Dolby Atmos.

I've had the Hyper X Cloud II headset from Kingston for a couple of years. All-around a very solid headset, but for me in particular, they began to have a couple of big comfort issues -- the clamp would start to give me a headache after any sessions longer than 2 hours AND the heat that would build up on my head personally would start to get rather uncomfortable around an hour -- I had to lift them off my head pretty frequently (like between all multiplayer matches) every match, because I had become mentally conditioned to expect some level of discomfort from them. The problems with the headset might be mostly psychological for me, though, as I absolutely adored them and felt that the discomforts were extremely mild and non-problematic for the first 6 months or so that I owned the headset. I'd still highly recommend it.

I just replaced the Cloud II headset with the Steelseries Arctis 7 headset a few days ago. So far, I can say definitively that the sound quality is better -- both the game audio and chat quality, even if the wireless of the Arctis 7 headset doesn't work on Xbox One -- you'll have to use the included 3.5mm jack adapter and plug it into your controller. As far as I can tell personally, since I've just started using Dolby Atmos since I got my X, Atmos works fine on both headsets I've mentioned. The Cloud IIs can definitely handle left-right separation in Atmos very clearly but the vertical sounds are a bit weaker, whereas the Arctis 7 sounds like it just breezes right along just fine with the full range of Atmos. Again, however, I'm completely new to the tech, so I can't tell if they're doing great Atmos feedback, but it does indicate that positional audio is available in the Insects tech demo and I can definitely hear detect directional audio very clearly all around with the Arctis 7s, and I can definitely hear horizontal audio positioning very clearly with the Cloud IIs (and for the record, there is an audible vertical effect with the Cloud IIs as well, but it's a bit weaker than my Arctis 7s by comparison).

In my research that led to my purchase of the Arctis 7, I also noted that the Turtle Beach Stealth 600 and 700 get extremely good reviews and both support native wireless to the Xbox One -- no need for a dongle, it pairs via Microsoft's proprietary wireless, the same that the controllers connect to. I would have gone with the Stealth 600s myself, but I decided to try the Arctis 7s for the "ski mask band" format for head-fitting rather than the standard padded headband setup and the ventilated cloth they use on the earpads, in hopes of addressing some of my comfort problems. The Arctis 7s have been a huge comfort success so far and have proven to be a more pleasurable audio quality experience than my Cloud IIs as well (the clamp strength on the Arctis 7s as someone with a relatively small head is so loose that I feel like the headset could come off if I wobbled my head too much -- which is far more comfortable to me than getting a head cramp), but the Cloud IIs are still a rock solid recommendation. I would recommend looking at the Turtle Beach Stealth 600 and 700 if you're wanting to get a headset for an Xbox One only and don't mind a traditional head-fitting configuration, as the reviews for them seem pretty stellar especially at the price range and true wireless connectivity.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

I initially bought TB Stealth 600s. My pair had an electronic hum/tone in the left ear--an issue apparently common with some 600/700 models--and I exchanged them for the RIG 800LX. So far, this headset has been fantastic. I started Dishonored tonight and a great headset seems almost essential.

It also comes with an Atmos code, so that's a really great benefit.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
I recently got these about 2 months ago - http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/rig-800lx. Overall they are solid head phones so far. They go for $149.99 in the US and include a code for Dolby ATMOS, so you don't have to pay the $14.99 fee. Battery life is usually around 22 hours, charging for 30 minutes gives you a 3 hour charge. They're fully wireless and only use a small corded USB adapter that gets plugged in and also work with PC. Headset is super light weight too. If you're in the US, pick them up from Best Buy with the extended warranty (they always exchange headsets no questions asked, so even if in the future you want a newer version or other headsets, they swap them out). Been doing it since MW2 days when I got my first gaming headsets haha

As far as the newsletter, can't help you there. I just follow the Xbox subreddit and this place for news.
I want this headset but heard reviews that the mic monitoring sucks/doesn't exist. Have you noticed?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe it's because I haven't owned a horizontal standing black console in a while, but this thing gets dusty AF within hours.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Anyone know of Microsoft has fixed or will fix the HDR issue of white levels being raised?

Just got a new 4K TV and both my Apple TV & PS4 Pro display the blacks properly. However, my XBX displays the black bars (and blacks in general) as grey and washed out.

Anyone else with this issue?

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
Never played NGB until now and I want to like it but it's like playing DMC with Sonic Adventure's camera. It's so annoying.

Actually aside from the camera the controls are also definitely way worse than DMC.

Last edited:

TRios Zen

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know of Microsoft has fixed or will fix the HDR issue of white levels being raised?

Just got a new 4K TV and both my Apple TV & PS4 Pro display the blacks properly. However, my XBX displays the black bars (and blacks in general) as grey and washed out.

Anyone else with this issue?
Are you referring to blu-ray playback? I just watched Spider-Man homecoming in 4k and the black bars seemed fixed/fine.

For the record I am on the beta ring of the new dash, not sure if what "fixed" the issue has been released completely yet.

Oct 28, 2017
Are you referring to blu-ray playback? I just watched Spider-Man homecoming in 4k and the black bars seemed fixed/fine.

For the record I am on the beta ring of the new dash, not sure if what "fixed" the issue has been released completely yet.
I had the black bar issue and I updated to the beta dashboard which fixed it. It'll come out soon, hopefully.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I have access to a PC, XBX and PS4Pro, what is the best place to buy Rainbow Six Siege on? I don't have friends so that doesn't count, and I guess I prefer 'the great equalizer' that is joypad control for online FPS games, so I would prefer a console version..

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017

Yea, the black bars on the BD player. However, just the black levels seems washed out. I literally compared my Apple TV, PS4 Pro and XBX one at a time, the difference was obvious. The XBX blacks are greyish. Tried it on YT, Netflix, Hulu and BD...and same result. It seems like HDR has some issues for XBX. Some folks reported the same issue at other forums. I hope MS fixes this soon...and I guess my John Wick 2 4K BD is incompatible with my XBX...it shows as "2: trying to load project" and it doesnt load at all.

Big bummer.

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
I had this problem but it got fixed with an update last week. I'm on the beta program so it'll be rolled out to everyone soon

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I initially bought TB Stealth 600s. My pair had an electronic hum/tone in the left ear--an issue apparently common with some 600/700 models--and I exchanged them for the RIG 800LX. So far, this headset has been fantastic. I started Dishonored tonight and a great headset seems almost essential.

It also comes with an Atmos code, so that's a really great benefit.
I've had the Hyper X Cloud II headset from Kingston for a couple of years. All-around a very solid headset, but for me in particular, they began to have a couple of big comfort issues -- the clamp would start to give me a headache after any sessions longer than 2 hours AND the heat that would build up on my head personally would start to get rather uncomfortable around an hour -- I had to lift them off my head pretty frequently (like between all multiplayer matches) every match, because I had become mentally conditioned to expect some level of discomfort from them. The problems with the headset might be mostly psychological for me, though, as I absolutely adored them and felt that the discomforts were extremely mild and non-problematic for the first 6 months or so that I owned the headset. I'd still highly recommend it.

I just replaced the Cloud II headset with the Steelseries Arctis 7 headset a few days ago. So far, I can say definitively that the sound quality is better -- both the game audio and chat quality, even if the wireless of the Arctis 7 headset doesn't work on Xbox One -- you'll have to use the included 3.5mm jack adapter and plug it into your controller. As far as I can tell personally, since I've just started using Dolby Atmos since I got my X, Atmos works fine on both headsets I've mentioned. The Cloud IIs can definitely handle left-right separation in Atmos very clearly but the vertical sounds are a bit weaker, whereas the Arctis 7 sounds like it just breezes right along just fine with the full range of Atmos. Again, however, I'm completely new to the tech, so I can't tell if they're doing great Atmos feedback, but it does indicate that positional audio is available in the Insects tech demo and I can definitely hear detect directional audio very clearly all around with the Arctis 7s, and I can definitely hear horizontal audio positioning very clearly with the Cloud IIs (and for the record, there is an audible vertical effect with the Cloud IIs as well, but it's a bit weaker than my Arctis 7s by comparison).

In my research that led to my purchase of the Arctis 7, I also noted that the Turtle Beach Stealth 600 and 700 get extremely good reviews and both support native wireless to the Xbox One -- no need for a dongle, it pairs via Microsoft's proprietary wireless, the same that the controllers connect to. I would have gone with the Stealth 600s myself, but I decided to try the Arctis 7s for the "ski mask band" format for head-fitting rather than the standard padded headband setup and the ventilated cloth they use on the earpads, in hopes of addressing some of my comfort problems. The Arctis 7s have been a huge comfort success so far and have proven to be a more pleasurable audio quality experience than my Cloud IIs as well (the clamp strength on the Arctis 7s as someone with a relatively small head is so loose that I feel like the headset could come off if I wobbled my head too much -- which is far more comfortable to me than getting a head cramp), but the Cloud IIs are still a rock solid recommendation. I would recommend looking at the Turtle Beach Stealth 600 and 700 if you're wanting to get a headset for an Xbox One only and don't mind a traditional head-fitting configuration, as the reviews for them seem pretty stellar especially at the price range and true wireless connectivity.
Alright, I'll check you recommendations before I decide. Thanks!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn son. Saw this one online. AC Origins.

dc14efa7-77fd-4409-a227-7073beb13742.PNG

krealian

Oct 25, 2017
Update on my RotTR situation: the shrinking has worked after all, it now shows as 30.5 GB (base game). Unfortunately I still can't get past the black screen when I start the game. I'll download it again and hope it works this time.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Anyone else noticed audio issues on Titanfall 2 campaign? Specifically dialogue cutting out? I also had crazy stuttering in video and audio cut outs in cod ww2 campaign. A bit odd

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never played NGB until now and I want to like it but it's like playing DMC with Sonic Adventure's camera. It's so annoying.

Actually aside from the camera the controls are also definitely way worse than DMC.
It takes some getting used to the 'RT to centre camera' when we've become so used to using the RS to aim the camera - just shows how things have changed since 2004 without is realising.

But you should persevere. You'll get used to it and I promise you it'll be worth it. NGB is a truly epic journey, the different locations and surprises, the way you'll start to actually feel like master ninja, it becomes so much more than you would realise just from the first chapter or two of the game. Just never forget that learning to block is absolutely necessary in this game, it's more like a fighting game in that regard.

Mzoga

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid here, but has anyone had any issues with a faint ozone smell coming from their unit? Particularly when playing an intensive game? Everything seemed to be fine, and I was playing Wolfenstein 2, loving the image quality, when my wife asked me if something was burning. We finally tracked it down (it was pretty faint), and it seemed to be coming from the xbox. I wouldn't say it was "burning", just sort of a hot electronics/ozone smell. The fans are going, aren't super low, everything else seems to be fine -- I had played 4hrs+ several times without issue.

Am I just over worrying this? I really love this machine, but I don't like worrying that I'm going to blow it up while I play. I'm using it horizontally, on top of a table, so it has plenty of airflow.