• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons I bought an X way back when, was because of the Minecraft Super Duper Graphics Pack and now it seems to be never coming out.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
What's with all the updates lately? I think there's been one a day the last 3 days and another one last week I believe. I wouldn't mind so much but they take an absolute age to verify and apply. It's not like I haven't used the thing in ages as it's turned on daily.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Major necro-reply but curious what you used to get the old paste off? Was it flaky enough that it came off without much issue?

My Xbox One X went out of warranty in February and sounds like a jet is taking off when trying to play Battlefront 2. I'm thinking I have a similar thermal paste issue and don't really want to fork over the $250 Microsoft is asking for repair.

I just used rubbing/Iso Propanol alcohol and kitchen roll. 1st wipe off as much as you can with kitchen roll, then damp some roll in the alcohol and remove the rest, should come off without too much issue.

With this warm weather we've had in UK my fan has go loud again in some games and then nothing in others very strange (Battlefront 2 being the biggest culprit).

Im seriously thinking off adding a resistor to the live fan wire to reduce its overal speed of the fan, as im sure the fan doesnt need to spin up as much!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Major necro-reply but curious what you used to get the old paste off? Was it flaky enough that it came off without much issue?

My Xbox One X went out of warranty in February and sounds like a jet is taking off when trying to play Battlefront 2. I'm thinking I have a similar thermal paste issue and don't really want to fork over the $250 Microsoft is asking for repair.

The $250 repair fee seems so ridiculous. My X1X seems to be dead, I've had intermittant issues for a year or so, and I just don't want to fork over $250 for a ... repair ... or a refurb console when they're likely to go on sale in 2020 anyway with the new consoles imminent.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
The $250 repair fee seems so ridiculous. My X1X seems to be dead, I've had intermittant issues for a year or so, and I just don't want to fork over $250 for a ... repair ... or a refurb console when they're likely to go on sale in 2020 anyway with the new consoles imminent.

Yeah at this point I'm just waiting for their new console. For most games I don't have issues but if I play something taxing the system will shut itself down.

I did have the thermal paste replaced but still seeing the same issues with my X1X.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. No HDMI output which apparently is a common problem and they want $250 for it -- fuck that. Will probably just wait for Scarlet

I was thinking it would be like $150 tops

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know where else to posts this, but Vudu now supports Dolby Vision on x1X and holy shit does it look incredible. Watching Infinity War because I've seen it a ton on 4k UHD, and I'm super impressed with the digital DV version on Scorpio.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can never find the 'official' BC thread, but I noticed Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (and Fusion Frenzy?) got an update recently, what was changed?

Could also be just shenanigans with my external drive..

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I can never find the 'official' BC thread, but I noticed Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (and Fusion Frenzy?) got an update recently, what was changed?

Could also be just shenanigans with my external drive..

I think they've just been general emulator updates. I've had a bunch of older titles get these over the past two weeks.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Wasn't sure if this was the best thread but searching for a more generic Xbox One OT turned up empty...

I had previously set my daughter's Xbox One to my home Xbox so she could play some of my old XBLA games and such while in undergrad. She's now in grad school and has no time and left her Xbox One here at home. Meanwhile, my son is off to college and would like to play Gears 5 and the like. I'd like to make his Xbox the new home so he can do so, but am not sure if I have to re-home it to my Xbox from hers before homing it to his. The line that gives me pause is "Your previous home Xbox will still give your friends and family access to your stuff when you're signed in to it." Seems to read that I have to make my Xbox home (taking home from my daughter's) so that when I home to my son's I'll still have access on my Xbox (and my daughter none) as it'll then become the previous home. Is that right? This is like some elder wand in Harry Potter crap. =)

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Wasn't sure if this was the best thread but searching for a more generic Xbox One OT turned up empty...

I had previously set my daughter's Xbox One to my home Xbox so she could play some of my old XBLA games and such while in undergrad. She's now in grad school and has no time and left her Xbox One here at home. Meanwhile, my son is off to college and would like to play Gears 5 and the like. I'd like to make his Xbox the new home so he can do so, but am not sure if I have to re-home it to my Xbox from hers before homing it to his. The line that gives me pause is "Your previous home Xbox will still give your friends and family access to your stuff when you're signed in to it." Seems to read that I have to make my Xbox home (taking home from my daughter's) so that when I home to my son's I'll still have access on my Xbox (and my daughter none) as it'll then become the previous home. Is that right? This is like some elder wand in Harry Potter crap. =)

No. Stop overthinkg.

Set new home.

Explore the games.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I continue to run into a startup error loops that suddenly appear. I can fix it by (sometimes a few times) resetting the console, which is annoying of course. One time I could not even get the reset process to start and I started a repair process with MS, but then suddenly the reset started to work. I am thinking there might be an issue with the internal HDD but not sure...

Also I just can't move games from an external HDD to the internal HDD, it always stops the installation after like 10% - I can see the light of the HDD stop blinking and then... "installation stopped".

I moved frm a slow external HDD to a SSD for the more modern games, but want to move the smaller/XBLA games to the internal frm the old HDD, but it just does not work... this is really annoying - it's almost 400GB and I don't want to redownload all of it.

Oct 26, 2017
Where'd you buy it from, what card did you use. You might be able to get a replacement via your credit card, lots have extended purchase protection

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Where'd you buy it from, what card did you use. You might be able to get a replacement via your credit card, lots have extended purchase protection

Oh interesting... I got it when it first came out and probably though Amazon, but could be through Microsoft, and I used my Chase/Visa Amazon rewards card. I'll have to look into that... I actually scheduled a trip to the Microsoft store today to have them looka t it. I'm 98% sure the unit is just busted (tried everything else) but still figured I'd bring it in to the store.

"
Extended Warranty Protection
Your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card extends the time period for the U.S. manufacturer's warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less.Ā³

"

Crap I might be up just to the 2 year window on this thing... I'll be fucking pissed if I just missed it because it's been broken for months and I've just been lazy.

Looks like I have till November 7th (when my card was billed). I'm going to look into this...

*edit*

how the hell do you even use this service...? hahaha

Last edited:

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh interesting... I got it when it first came out and probably though Amazon, but could be through Microsoft, and I used my Chase/Visa Amazon rewards card. I'll have to look into that... I actually scheduled a trip to the Microsoft store today to have them looka t it. I'm 98% sure the unit is just busted (tried everything else) but still figured I'd bring it in to the store.

"
Extended Warranty Protection
Your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card extends the time period for the U.S. manufacturer's warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less.Ā³

"

Crap I might be up just to the 2 year window on this thing... I'll be fucking pissed if I just missed it because it's been broken for months and I've just been lazy.

Looks like I have till November 7th (when my card was billed). I'm going to look into this...

*edit*

how the hell do you even use this service...? hahaha

Probably the same way AMEX does it: Just call CS and they will start the process.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the same way AMEX does it: Just call CS and they will start the process.

Just wanted to follow up for others...

So with my Amazon Chase Rewards card, There's a "Card Member Benefits" Portal (https://www.cardbenefitservices.com) and when you register with your credit card number it gives you the chance to file a claim. You have to provide receipets, your crredit card statement, and other documentation, but it probably took ~5mins total to create the claim.

I went to the Microsoft store and exchanged the Xbox One X for a new one or a refurb... they didn't have scorpio editions (obviously) but the guy gave me a white one instead, which I'd rather have anyway... I love the look of the white Xbox One X. $249, and I submitted that for my claim with the credit card warranty dept.

Thanks for giving me this tip, I wouldn't have even thought to look there... and the extended warranty will expire on Nov 7 so if you hadn't given me the tip I woulda been shit outa luck, so thanks!

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any risk of getting banned form xbox live if i upgrade the harddrive inside my XBox One X?, i know this was an issue with the Xbox 360 but not sure with Xbox One X?. Also would i see any performance if i was to go SSD?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any risk of getting banned form xbox live if i upgrade the harddrive inside my XBox One X?, i know this was an issue with the Xbox 360 but not sure with Xbox One X?. Also would i see any performance if i was to go SSD?
edit: wrong link.

Any reason you wanna change the internal drive? Just get an external ssd.

Last edited:

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Recently did this and the overall UI/operation of the console is night and day for snappy/responsiveness. Not sure about banning, technically you've modded the console but you've only changed the storage device, not modified anything with the OS or your games, so I can't see why they'd have an issue.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Recently did this and the overall UI/operation of the console is night and day for snappy/responsiveness. Not sure about banning, technically you've modded the console but you've only changed the storage device, not modified anything with the OS or your games, so I can't see why they'd have an issue.

Thanks, i may go the SSD route, only issue is a 1TB drive is rather expensive

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So a question about Game Share, my brother has gotten an Xbox One S i have Game Pass Ultimate (Xbox Live also), if i set his console to the home system im aware that digital games ive bought he can download and play them at the same time as me. But how does this work with Game Pass Ultimate?, are we able to both play a Game Pass game as the same time and also play online together or will he need a Xbox Live subscription to play online?

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
So a question about Game Share, my brother has gotten an Xbox One S i have Game Pass Ultimate (Xbox Live also), if i set his console to the home system im aware that digital games ive bought he can download and play them at the same time as me. But how does this work with Game Pass Ultimate?, are we able to both play a Game Pass game as the same time and also play online together or will he need a Xbox Live subscription to play online?

You should be fine with one sub. I have an X1X in my study. The kids have my old X1S in the lounge. The latter is set as the "home" console for my account. I have Live and Gamepass.

I can play Gamepass games against the kids from my study. For example I played Sea of Thieves against my youngest son this weekend.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they release another public / general availability system/OS update soon.

An Insider update at the end of August is preventing my XB1X from starting (E100 error), and since the last public software is from 13th August, it's too old to try an offline system update to see if that will fix things.

I want to try that before sending it in for repair and potentially having to pay hundreds for a replacement since it's out of the 1 year warranty.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
why the fuck every time you go to the store to view a game a video starts at ten times the volume that you have your games set for.

it's ridiculous

got people sleeping in this house and I'm chilling while playing my games and I switch to the store to look at a game and explosions and engine revving starts blasting through my surround sound at a hundred decibels higher than I had my game at.

Fix this shit Microsoft

Give me a way to turn off audio previews in the store

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
why the fuck every time you go to the store to view a game a video starts at ten times the volume that you have your games set for.

it's ridiculous

got people sleeping in this house and I'm chilling while playing my games and I switch to the store to look at a game and explosions and engine revving starts blasting through my surround sound at a hundred decibels higher than I had my game at.

Fix this shit Microsoft

Give me a way to turn off audio previews in the store

Press start on the video.

Only problem is that it resets with every OS update.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I can't get over how amazing it is to play The Witcher 3 at 60fps on this console. Giving me an excuse to play through it again.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Been getting some odd behaviour from my Xbox: Occasionally it seems to lose the ability to connect wirelessly to a controller, and the functionality only appears to come back after pulling the plug on the console for a few seconds. We're not talking during active play; I generally first notice this when trying to pull the system out of standby by hitting the guide button on the controller, after which it starts blinking on the controller but the console itself doesn't respond.

If I connect the controller by wire it works fine, but doesn't quietly sync itself; as soon as I pull the USB out it goes back to blinking (but at least that situation allows me to shutdown properly before pulling the plug!)

I thought at first that the issue was likely to be the controller having been desynced from the console somehow, but the fact that doing nothing to the controller but pulling power from the console rectifies it suggests to me that the problem isn't on the controller side.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on?

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I'm currently playing on a 1080P display, and it automatically switched to 1080P. Allow 4k is greyed out. Normally it kept the check mark.

Does that mean it won't downsample 4k games?

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
When I'm watching films on my X, it's so loud spinning the disc. It's so annoying, but I have to put up with it cos it's my only means of playing UHD discs.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Damn... So I think my second Xbox one x, this time a white one, just got the same video problem my original (Scorpio edition) got. Really weird and similar issue... Hadn't used it a week or so, powered it up and no video, tv can't get a signal. The wire and the HDMI port are fine (confirmed with my PS4).

This is a model that I just got from the Microsoft store too, exchanging my previous broken one. Really weird.

The console is well ventilated (it's on an open shelf), I have a pricy power brick whcuh has been fine for everything else.

I'll try booting in low video mode but damn this is annoying if this one is broken too.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is anyone having issues with the Xbox no suspending games when you turn it off? I keep having to launch games I'm playing instead of resuming.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
So is it worth upgrading to an X if I can basically break even with a gift card and trading in my S? I don't play much on console atm, although I've been wanting to do more couch gaming, but the S looks pretty fugly on a 65" C9 OLED. Would the X make the experience much better at higher res? Are 30 fps games alright more bearable at higher res compared to the S?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
So is it worth upgrading to an X if I can basically break even with a gift card and trading in my S? I don't play much on console atm, although I've been wanting to do more couch gaming, but the S looks pretty fugly on a 65" C9 OLED. Would the X make the experience much better at higher res? Are 30 fps games alright more bearable at higher res compared to the S?
Oh, I definitely would if it was close to breaking even.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Looking at getting an SSD, mostly to speed up Forza and Destiny 2. I'm looking at the T5 or the My Passport Go. Both are 500gb. The go has a r/w at 300m/s and the T5 is higher at around 520, but I also know I'm capped by what USB3 can handle.

I'm also open to an internal with an enclosure. Anybody have any suggestions?

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Finally set up my Xbox one x. Loving the system so far the only downside is my dumb tv only has one hdr compatible port so I'm going to have to buy a transmitter. I have a couple questions though about the system:
1. Should I leave my system in instant on or energy saving mode?
2. I was tinkering with the setting and noticed a thing that says bits per pixel that's default at 8 bit. Should I change this to a higher setting like 10 or 12. I think my tv is a 10 bit panel.
3. Is it possible to set up a two step verification for the console and if so should I do that?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Finally set up my Xbox one x. Loving the system so far the only downside is my dumb tv only has one hdr compatible port so I'm going to have to buy a transmitter. I have a couple questions though about the system:
1. Should I leave my system in instant on or energy saving mode?
2. I was tinkering with the setting and noticed a thing that says bits per pixel that's default at 8 bit. Should I change this to a higher setting like 10 or 12. I think my tv is a 10 bit panel.
3. Is it possible to set up a two step verification for the console and if so should I do that?

1. Instant on
2. You can leave it on 8bit, 10bit HDR10 will activate as needed regardless of your setting here
3. For your Microsoft account? Yes and yes.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
While it's nowhere near my PS4 Pro F-16 edition, the fans on my XB1X are starting to become...a thing.

A few games have noticeably kicked the fans up. Gears 5 and, perhaps more surprisingly, Outer Worlds.

Anyone else notice something similar?

Oct 27, 2017
I got an Xbox One X yesterday. I spent a few minutes setting up my console and all that. A few impressions from a lapsed Xbox owner (I used to have a 360 back in the day).

1. The dashboard is awful. I just can't find anything in it. Is there an option to have a row of games, like in the PS4 or the Switch? I've only installed a few so far, but they appear in a vertical list. And not a vertical list like the XMB in a PSP, but rather each game has its own dedicated screen. It's tedious, to say the least. And the dash is full of recommended apps, app recommendations, and ads for games... :/ What can I do to make it more streamlined?

1b. Speaking of which... isn't the dashboard really, really laggy? Is there anything I can do to make it snappier?

1c. Coming from the Switch and the PS4: pressing the Home button brings up a guide-styled menu. Can I make it go to my Home screen?

2. I can't believe the gamepad uses AA batteries and that I need to actually buy a Play and Charge kit to make it work like a regular, 2020 Century controller.

2b. Connecting a pair of headphones to the gamepad doesn't get you audio via Bluetooth? Again, I can do that with a DualShock 4. Why do I need to buy an extra piece of equipment to enable basic functionality?

3. The streaming from the console to a PC is really good. Very good quality and response time, though I noticed a little lag in the audio.

4. I really like the integration of other apps with the console. It makes everything feel truly connected.

5. Game Pass is awesome. I mean... it just is.