• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Just had two overheat crashes while trying to start a NBA 2k19 game. Hasn't happened with any other game, and when it did happen, my one x wasnt even warm and the fan was totally silent.

Could this be a game bug causing this or is my Scorpio ready to shit the bed?

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't I have a stable download speed on Xbox? I have 100Mbps fiber connection and just two times got the download speed up to 90. Most of the time it's either 5-6 or 25-30
Your speed plan doesn't ever dictate what you WILL get from connecting to any other servers. When you have millions and millions and millions of people downloading from your (Microsoft's) servers, bandwidth will tend to be slower.

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Your speed plan doesn't ever dictate what you WILL get from connecting to any other servers. When you have millions and millions and millions of people downloading from your (Microsoft's) servers, bandwidth will tend to be slower.
Any way around this mate? Because sometimes I'm getting the full speed. Nothing to do with DNS and stuff right?

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Just had two overheat crashes while trying to start a NBA 2k19 game. Hasn't happened with any other game, and when it did happen, my one x wasnt even warm and the fan was totally silent.

Could this be a game bug causing this or is my Scorpio ready to shit the bed?

It might be the game or XBL, I have the issue once in a while with some games. Just try doing a hard reset and launching the game again.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm having a problem with my X that I also encountered with a launch unit that I tested on the same TV. Signal is set to game mode on my TV but I get Input Lag on every game with my X. Don't have any problems with either PS4 Pro nor Switch. What could this be?

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
Just got four 1 month Gamepass codes for new subscribers. Can't use myself so feel free to take one.

Quote to see codes.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
Giving away a code for PUBG that I got with my Xbox. I already own it so it's free to whoever gets it first. Quote to see the code.

This post contains hidden text. Quote to reveal it.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So the noise level of the fan on the XBox One X is starting to really annoy me, especially on RDR2....its just ridiculous. Im think of opening the XBox up and possible adding resistors to the fan so in effect reducing the power that the fan receives and thus making it spin slower and quieter. I have tested the temp of the air being pushed out the rear of the xbox when the fan is going mad and the air is not that hot at all and strongly believe the fan is being spun up much more than it really needs.

Are there any reports of anyone actually doing this type of mod anywhere?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
So I've been using the LS35X for more than three weeks now and wanted to give small review/comparison for anyone on the fence looking for a wireless headset option on Xbox One:

I've tried/used many wireless headsets that are available on the Xbox One. And so far LS35X is a keeper. Here is why:

After the firmware update, this IMO should be what an official wireless headset from MS be like. It's comfortable for very long sessions (I play Overwatch almost everyday for 4 to 6 hours) despite how it may seem a bit heavy at first. It's very loud and sync just like a controller with no dongles or any wires (unless you wanna use it on PC). It got mic monitoring, the bass is good and not overpowering like stock Astro EQ. It feels premium, non-gamer aesthetics and not cheaply made like Turtle Beach's usual plastic. The dials to mix the game/voice and overall volume are fantastic and easy to understand/reach and the little red light to indicate that the mic is muted is a nice touch. Couple of my friends also told me how I sounded much better than my previous headset (Astro A50). In terms of Battery life, LS35X and A50 are about the same.

If you can find it on sale you won't regret it. I believe the retail price of $179.99 is the biggest negative to this headset as Lucidsound are new to the gaming scene plus many options at this price or less even if they are wired.

The bad/minor nitpicks:

- I got one after the big sale around Christmas time so mine came with a soft pouch and not a hard case. Something you should be aware of.
- Only one EQ option. Not a big deal for me because it sounded fantastic with everything I tried so far unlike Astro A50 where I had to download user presets over their forums (Fusion, Zalias etc) to make it actually good/not bass heavy or muddy. Lucisound should look into providing a software app that can provide more options in the future.
- I prefer flip to mute rather than press button to mute because I use the headset everywhere and prefer to flip it rather than to bend it aside or de-attach it when eating or something. Personal thing as others don't like flip to mute.
- Micro USB for charging is gonna be a problem one day. Wish they designed a docking station for it so I don't need to plug the cable overnight to charge or at least a USB Type C. Again, a personal thing.

Very minor nitpicks to an otherwise the best wireless headset on Xbox One.

Astro A50 is a close second and Plantronics RIG 800LX third.

RIG is the most comfy with the best battery life (24 hours), bit cheaper and comes with a free Dolby Atmos code but not very loud which is why I'm no longer using it. I go back to Astro A50 from time to time but the docking station sucks soooo much to align the pin to charge. The party chat volume is always so high and I never managed to figure out why (messed with the software to no end). The default EQ are garbage and Dolby Surround sounds terrible compared to Dolby Atmos/Windows Sonic.

Depending on your needs though. Astro A50 with it's PC software options whether for gaming or streaming could be your number one pick instead of LS35X and it's also as comfortable but just more expensive ($299 almost double the price) compared to LS35X and the rest on the market.

I'd stay away from Turtle Beach Stealth 600 and 700 because the material and comfy levels are just not as good and they are not loud at max volume.

Maybe Razer Thresher if you like noise cancelling. Personally, I hated and returned it the next day as I don't like how noise cancelling makes my head/ears feels like a an isolated chamber and it wasn't very comfy.

Link to LS35X: https://www.lucidsound.com/headsets/LS35X.html
Link to firmware update: https://lucidsound.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012110533-LS35X-Firmware-Updater
Link to Astro A50: https://www.astrogaming.com/headsets/A50-GEN3-XB1.html
Link to Plantronics RIG 800LX: https://www.plantronics.com/us/en/product/rig-800lx

Made a thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/lucidsound-ls35x-best-wireless-headset-on-xbox-one.91604/

Last edited:

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried any of the Steel Series headsets MCD?

I have the Astro 50's and whilst there comfortable i wasnt blown away with the DD 7.1 sound effect

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried any of the Steel Series headsets MCD?

I have the Astro 50's and whilst there comfortable i wasnt blown away with the DD 7.1 sound effect

No because Steel Series as far as I know requires a cable for chat. I tried "Xbox" wireless branded headsets for that reason.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I hate how my ears can be deaf or in tune like a fox.

I'm sitting about 5-6 feet away with the tv up to 20 (relatively loud),
And i call hear the fans running or whining along with the game audio.

It's there any way to make them more quiet
It's there any good way to clean without disassembly?

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
I hate how my ears can be deaf or in tune like a fox.

I'm sitting about 5-6 feet away with the tv up to 20 (relatively loud),
And i call hear the fans running or whining along with the game audio.

It's there any way to make them more quiet
It's there any good way to clean without disassembly?

To further this I've noticed mine has got noticeably louder recently (granted its in an entertainment console which is always dumb, but whatever)

Any good/simple mods to do if you open it or just clean it?

ColdLavaBunny

Oct 29, 2017
So after years of mostly ignoring the Xbox side of consoles, I have recently bought an X to use with a 4k projector. Really happy with the hardware, the bundled games look spectacular and run well (Red Dead, Forza etc). I now have the chance to get caught up on the MS franchises I have missed out on. So my actual question are - starting from scratch on the Gears and Halo franchises, where should I start? Do the remastered old games hold up for someone with no nostalgia? Or should I just jump into the most recent version? Also Crackdown- still worth playing?
Any other essential exclusives?

Last edited:

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Why can't I have a stable download speed on Xbox? I have 100Mbps fiber connection and just two times got the download speed up to 90. Most of the time it's either 5-6 or 25-30
Doesn't the Xbox One show downloads in MBps and not Mbps? I am not near my Xbox, so I can't double-check.

So after years of mostly ignoring the Xbox side of consoles, I have recently bought an X to use with a 4k projector. Really happy with the hardware, the bundled games look spectacular and run well (Red Dead, Forza etc). I now have the chance to get caught up on the MS franchises I have missed out on. So my actual question are - starting from scratch on the Gears and Halo franchises, where should I start? Do the remastered old games hold up for someone with no nostalgia? Or should I just jump into the most recent version? Also Crackdown- still worth playing?
For Gears you're fortunate that Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3 are X Enhanced, running at a full 4K. Then you have Gears of War Remastered, which is a fantastic version. Playing through Gears of War 1-4 for the first time? Oh, to be you! All 4 of those games are excellent and still hold up (and hold up even better on the X).

For Halo, hit up the Master Chief Collection then move on to 5. You're getting full X support on all of those titles.

I'd hold off on Crackdown and jump straight into 3 in a month.

Other MS properties that are wroth playing? It's all subjective, of course, but here's my picks:

Quantum Break
Forza Horizon 4
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
Halo Wars 2

Be sure to check out the Xbox One X Enhanced Games thread, as well. It's a great resource for finding games that support your new Xbox One X.

Oh, and get Game Pass! It's a crazy good deal and will net you some of the above games, plus plenty more to keep you occupied.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Is my X having software issues or is the UI just really bad these days? Lots of times moving from one item to the next is delayed and I get lots of failure to load apps, especially if I have a game running in the background (for example if I try to run the rewards app I often get failures to launch until I manually quit the last game I was playing).

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Is my X having software issues or is the UI just really bad these days? Lots of times moving from one item to the next is delayed and I get lots of failure to load apps, especially if I have a game running in the background (for example if I try to run the rewards app I often get failures to launch until I manually quit the last game I was playing).
When I experience this I do as hard reset.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I got to do a hard reset after 4/5 times turning the box on from instant mode. After the first few times, the dashboard remains relatively snappy but after the 4 or 5 time, with apps or games still in the background from the last session, it would become a mess with 5 seconds delay switching between tabs or even items, would stutter or freeze.

I will probably switch to full shutdown from instant and only turn it on when I know i will be downloading something remotely or patches/ updates are coming.

How MS still haven't sorted out the dashboard mess is just beyond me.

Just do a barebones dashbord and strip all other nonsense or at least hide it. I don't have to have community on my dashboard or game pass all the time.

If I want those things I can Klick on it and I don't mind a separate load to get to it. Trying to load everything on the dash is just stupid.

If I don't do a hard reset then it can take up to a good 2-3 min wait until I actually see my games in the my games tab because it has to load all my game pass, subscription and gold games.

ColdLavaBunny

Oct 29, 2017
For Gears you're fortunate that Gears of War 2 and Gears of War 3 are X Enhanced, running at a full 4K. Then you have Gears of War Remastered, which is a fantastic version. Playing through Gears of War 1-4 for the first time? Oh, to be you! All 4 of those games are excellent and still hold up (and hold up even better on the X).

For Halo, hit up the Master Chief Collection then move on to 5. You're getting full X support on all of those titles.

I'd hold off on Crackdown and jump straight into 3 in a month.

Other MS properties that are wroth playing? It's all subjective, of course, but here's my picks:

Quantum Break
Forza Horizon 4
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
Halo Wars 2

Be sure to check out the Xbox One X Enhanced Games thread, as well. It's a great resource for finding games that support your new Xbox One X.

Oh, and get Game Pass! It's a crazy good deal and will net you some of the above games, plus plenty more to keep you occupied.
Thanks, actually have Forza Horizon 4 (got the Forza bundle) and it's great. Forgotten about Quantum Break, will have to give it a go. I'm kind of holding off on Game Pass - so many games in my backlog, what with the bundled games I got with the X and I haven't even started God of War. But when I get some time I'm going to jump into the Gears series first, I think. That was really the series I felt sad about missing when I didn't get a 360. Fingers crossed that Crackdown 3 comes together.

toneroni

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked one up to use as a UHD player and also since my last MS console was the 360.
Glad to see some essentials listed.

Asking about a few more -
How's Sunset Overdrive? Did it age well?
How's Killer Instinct? Is it worth getting into?
Should I get any multiplatform game on the X since I decided not to get the PS4 Pro?

Gonna be playing on my LG OLED and hoping to be blown away!

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that old in the grand scheme of things is it? I played a decent amount of it via Game Pass and it played wonderfully.

Should I get any multiplatform game on the X since I decided not to get the PS4 Pro?
Personally, yep. All of em? I mean if you are strictly talking about games that are still coming or that you missed? I do have a Pro and I still have been leaning towards X1 with Multiplats. The only caveat is games that I'd want to play with friends that don't have an X/X1. Recent games I snagged on X1 over PS4 Pro were Red Dead 2, Shadow of Tomb Raider, Ace Combat 7, to name a few.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Just picked one up to use as a UHD player and also since my last MS console was the 360.
Glad to see some essentials listed.

How's Killer Instinct? Is it worth getting into?

Gonna be playing on my LG OLED and hoping to be blown away!

SO runs at like 900p, so it's not really a showcase visually, but it's definitely worth playing, one of my favourite games this gen. KI is a really fun fighting game imo, again, worth a try.

Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 4 will showcase the X on your OLED - both on gamepass btw.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
quick question:

the dolby atmos add on (the $15 one) is just for headsets correct?
I have a great 5.1 HT system, rarely use headset. so I guess that is useless for me, correct?

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
quick question:

the dolby atmos add on (the $15 one) is just for headsets correct?
I have a great 5.1 HT system, rarely use headset. so I guess that is useless for me, correct?

As far as I understand it, you can use Dolby Atmos now for free for Home Theater setups. To use it with headphones though, you need the Atmos Headphone addon which is 14.99.

What is Dolby Atmos for home theater?

On Windows 10 devices, selecting Dolby Atmos for home theater enables your PC, tablet, or Xbox to play back Dolby Atmos enabled content over your Dolby Atmos enabled home theater system, sound bar, or TV via an HDMI connection.

What is Dolby Atmos for Headphones?

An add-on for the Dolby Access app, Dolby Access for Headphones enables your Windows 10 PC or Xbox to deliver a premium, immersive audio experience through any set of headphones. You have the option to try or buy Dolby Access for Headphones within Dolby Access.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I understand it, you can use Dolby Atmos now for free for Home Theater setups. To use it with headphones though, you need the Atmos Headphone addon which is 14.99.

I know, so it seems to use atmos for HT, you don't need any add on. I was speaking about the add on that costs $15, which seems taht only applies to headphones correct?? That was my original question.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, sorry. I wasn't sure if that was all you were asking. You are correct. I do not have a home theater setup, but a nice amp and nice headphones so I opted to get that 14.99 add on long ago.

ColdLavaBunny

Oct 29, 2017
I know, so it seems to use atmos for HT, you don't need any add on. I was speaking about the add on that costs $15, which seems taht only applies to headphones correct?? That was my original question.
I have an atmos setup and you do in fact need the app to enable atmos for home theatre. It just doesn't cost anything. Don't know that it would add much to a 5.1 setup but you could enable it if your receiver supports atmos.

ColdLavaBunny

Oct 29, 2017
5.1 setup?? really? that seems stupid. if the game or movie enables atmos, why do we need the app? or the app is to simulate the atmos on non-atmos games/movies??
It's not needed for regular surround sound 5.1 or 7.1.
I actually don't know if it does simulated atmos - I know my amp can upmix but I can't say I have noticed much of a difference with non atmos input.

Oct 31, 2017
La La Land
This is probably a dumb question - and I don't have an X but an S but I don't see a thread for one - but is there any heavy duty X1 controllers? Like, ones not made of plastic? I'm on my 4th one and now it's acting up (left thumb stick sticks, which sometimes forces my character to sprint unintentionally).

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably a dumb question - and I don't have an X but an S but I don't see a thread for one - but is there any heavy duty X1 controllers? Like, ones not made of plastic? I'm on my 4th one and now it's acting up (left thumb stick sticks, which sometimes forces my character to sprint unintentionally).
What the heck are you doing to them? My original launch controllers are still working perfectly. That being said, I've never seen one not made of plastic.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Woke up to a bricked One X this morning :(

Been having loads of problems with the console doing a full power off whenever I turn it off even though it's set to instant on. Started to get stuck on the green Xbox intro screen a few times, had to power cycle to get through it. AC: Odyssey has been causing a LOT of crashes since the most recent update, which means more restarting for the console and I guess it all just crapped out on me last night. Black screen, sound but no video. Tried a factory reset but as soon as I press 'A' on either of the two options (keep games or full wipe) it plays that little power down sound and then freezes. Can't reset from a USB stick either, same issue OR it moves on a step and gets stuck at 'preparing console 0%'.

Hooray.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if my X just died or what.

I turned it on and it goes through the splash screen and then goes completely black. I can pull up the guide but I can't choose any option. If I hold the guide button I can choose any option there. I went to "report a problem" and that page works just fine, but if I press the guide button it still controls what's under the guide and not the guide itself.

I tried both types of powering down and unplugged the system, but still no changes. Any advice?

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not sure if my X just died or what.

I turned it on and it goes through the splash screen and then goes completely black. I can pull up the guide but I can't choose any option. If I hold the guide button I can choose any option there. I went to "report a problem" and that page works just fine, but if I press the guide button it still controls what's under the guide and not the guide itself.

I tried both types of powering down and unplugged the system, but still no changes. Any advice?

It appears this is happening to everyone. Experiencing the same here and seen similar posts from others. Annoying, as I just picked up Kingdom Hearts III!

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I have $400 to burn. I have a PS4 Pro, Switch, and good gaming PC.

I have thought some time about getting an X. But I am struggling to find reasons to get one because I already own a good gaming PC.

It would really be for:
RDR1 4K
Halo Trilogy 4K
Gears of War 2/3 4k
MAYBE Crackdown 4k

But still...I don't know man, if it is worth it in my situation.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017

I have thought some time about getting an X. But I am struggling to find reasons to get one because I already own a good gaming PC.

It would really be for:
RDR1 4K
Halo Trilogy 4K
Gears of War 2/3 4k
MAYBE Crackdown 4k

Game pass. Best thing ever

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
What is the current install size of Madden 19? My friend wants to pick it up, and asked me if I could find out, because he's got slow internet and is worried about the updates.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I may be late responding, but I am always down to play halo or gears on XB1X. IT be fun to see your initial reactions. I love both series so shoot me a DM if interested or friend request on Xbox (My GT is the same as my username here)

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017

It would really be for:
RDR1 4K
Halo Trilogy 4K
Gears of War 2/3 4k
MAYBE Crackdown 4k

I was in a similar boat recently, albeit with a regular PS4 rather than a Pro. I eventually decided to get the One X for a few reasons:

- Game Pass (though Microsoft is supposedly going to make this more of a thing on PC).
- Having access to old 360 / OG Xbox games that never made it to other platforms, or played better on a console (some of those older PC ports don't work so well).
- Console is more fiancee friendly than playing on PC. If my fiancee wants to play a game, having her play on my laptop is kind of weird.
- Suspend / resume is nice.

Granted, for the above reasons I could've just gotten a One S, but I didn't want hardware that was weaker than my PS4 and I was able to get a good deal on the system via OfferUp. Also, I don't plan on hopping into the next console generation right away so I wanted something that I felt would last a while.

At this point in my life, I'm trying minimize money I spend on game purchases so I'm mostly sticking to playing stuff on Game Pass. I do still game on my PC occasionally -- for example, even though I'm willing to sacrifice some performance when playing on console, the Anthem demo this past weekend was really bad on the One X so I ended up playing it on PC instead.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fixed it by switching the hdmi cable. Welp. I feel stupid now

BTW the following is just my personal curiosity.

That's kinda weird. Glad it's fixed - but I can't think of a situation where a duff cable (assuming it's just a cable) would cause input lag yet still pass through audio and video - they can fail - but you usually lose signal, or get HDMI digital white noise, handshake errors etc, but input lag? I use a splitter because my Atmos soundbar (Yamaha YSP) can't do 4k, HDR and Atmos all at the same time - I have to choose one over the other without the splitter - and that sometimes causes my Xbox to detect the TV in the chain before the soundbar, so it sometimes (correctly really) defaults to HDMI digital stereo. So sometimes I haver to go in and manually reactivate Bitsream to Atmos.

I suppose if you had an HDMI 1.0 cable and your TV decided that the content was different from what it expects from HDMI 2.0 (or vice versa..) that it could automatically elminate game mode or add some image processing? What model, if you don't mind me asking and are you going through a receiver or using the ARC (audio return channel) HDMI port(s)?

BTW don't forget to download INSECTS from the app/game store - it's one of the simplest ways to make sure each advanced HDMI feature is working as expected- 4k, Atmos audio and HDR - if one of the on-screen toggles is grayed out, something is set up wrong or incompatible with your TV.

Also, if you are stuck with a basement TV space like I am and want Atmos, but can't deal with the wiring or don't think the ceiling is high enough for the effect to work, the YSP 5600 is in a class on its own - Yamaha's surround bars use a few patented methods that you can't et, or are compromised in other models. On a performance per dollar metric, it obviously can't compete with even a mid range receiver plus discrete speakers, but some folks don't want or can't have that hassle (renters for example or Gahiggidys like me) - but the surround effect is not only immersive and convincing, it's EASILY good enough to work in games - which is the real proof point for me, since you need to know WHERE in 3D space those footsteps are coming from - it's not enough to just have a "full" surround effect. It's gotta be accurate too. The soundbar is absolutely freaky once set up with the room calibration mic. It's got a slightly hair raising supernatural effect - since the audio sounds like it's coming from thin air or from walls and ceilings with no speakers. Guests get creeped out and impressed simultaneously. It's also Alexa and MusicCast compatible - along with Bluetooth and others - mine is incorporated into my Echo network for multiroom music/radio.

There are cheaper Atmos soundbars - but the 5600 is arguably the or one of the best. Again the only bummer is the HDR/4k split. If they fix that in a firmware update or a revision it'll be perfect. Otherwise you need a splitter.

https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/ysp-5600/review

I stan for this thing for free. I don't know anyone at Yamaha and I paid retail for it.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually tried to get behind the problem aswell. Seems that my TV would automatically end Game Mode whenever signal from the X came. The cable was pretty old so I don't know what got in the way or why the TV was acting like it did. But since then I'm A-OK.

That could be it. HDMI flavors can cause odd handshakes - and the way TVs implement them is often not done with gaming in mind. For a few years "game" modes on one or two brands did almost the opposite on some TVs - adding image or color enhancements designed with image quality/style in mind without "realizing" games want the pixels as fast and unimpeded as possible.

My Sony HDR set used to forget Game Mode on my custom HDMI settings - yet would retain the contrast and brightness settings when it got firmware updates - although that seems to be a thing of the past now. The timing of the handshake can do weird things too. Every now and then I'll start up a console expecting HDMI to properly order the boot/request/accept sequence and it misses one - and you have to manually turn on the TV or switch to the right input. In that scenario - a TV could look for information from the order things started or woke from - and make a faulty seeming, but technically correct "decision" - stereo HDMI, for instance.

I love that 99% of modern TVs have figured out what gamers need/want - and the ability to name channels with custom strings is super useful for that reason. I really don't have a scenario that benefits from ARC - and HDMI control for remotes between devices has been more trouble than it's worth - but this forum has probably more elaborate needs than most folks with a STB and nothing else and both of those things are really handy on paper.

My setup is almost perfect right now - HDR,, 4k, Atmos - I doubt that room will need any upgrading any time soon, but I do get jealous every time I see the LG OLEDs at work or in stores - I just can't justify that spend when my old-ass, two year old TV picture is not only great - it's probably at or near the limit of my ability to discern some possible improvements. But even my ten year old kid can see how black the OLED blacks are.

I cheaped out too and stuck a good quality USB powered LED strip on the back of my TV for the contrast pop (think Philips Ambilight without color matching) and that's been one of the best $20 I ever spent on AV equipment. It's much more than snake oil and would probably be worth it just for the room aesthetics. The fact that it turns on and off with the TV automatically is nice. BTW if you ever do that, the number one most important aspect is the adhesive strip rather than the bulbs or features - the 3M stuff that's designed for this kind of heat application is the key thing.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I cheaped out too and stuck a good quality USB powered LED strip on the back of my TV for the contrast pop (think Philips Ambilight without color matching) and that's been one of the best $20 I ever spent on AV equipment
Haha I did the exact same thing. Looks gorgeous and makes the colors on the TV look more crisp(?).. Tho it's propably more of a placebo effect. My 4k set is on the cheap side of things though. I have a 58" Samsung TV with HDR10, but max luminescence is only 1000 knits. So most HDR games, while looking better than SDR, are not that "omg wow" unfortunately. But I must admit that some games that I played or replayed on my X surprised me, with what my TV is capable of. I think Gears 4 is one of the best looking games on the machine. It's kinda magical.

In regards of my sound setup, I barely use my TV speakers or my Soundbar. If I'm honest, my soundbar is back in the box because the wiring looked stupid. For gaming I exclusively use my Turtle Beach Ear Force X41 on Xbox. It's getting on the older side of hardware but it still does a fantastic job. How is that Dolby App for the fake atmos on headphones?