• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha I did the exact same thing. Looks gorgeous and makes the colors on the TV look more crisp(?).. Tho it's propably more of a placebo effect. My 4k set is on the cheap side of things though. I have a 58" Samsung TV with HDR10, but max luminescence is only 1000 knits. So most HDR games, while looking better than SDR, are not that "omg wow" unfortunately. But I must admit that some games that I played or replayed on my X surprised me, with what my TV is capable of. I think Gears 4 is one of the best looking games on the machine. It's kinda magical.

In regards of my sound setup, I barely use my TV speakers or my Soundbar. If I'm honest, my soundbar is back in the box because the wiring looked stupid. For gaming I exclusively use my Turtle Beach Ear Force X41 on Xbox. It's getting on the older side of hardware but it still does a fantastic job. How is that Dolby App for the fake atmos on headphones?

I only used headphones for like an hour, but not enough to think more than - "that's cool!" I think you'd need more scientific feedback, but I did find the weird licensing thing to be surprising, rather than offputting and the two experiences were back to back. So it probably poisoned me a little. But I could hear it, for sure. And the App doesn't do much beyond "permit" and enable the tech on my setup. I assume the mobile version does more - Bose's connect app for example is weirdly useful if you connect multiple devices to the headphones.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
BTW don't forget to download INSECTS from the app/game store - it's one of the simplest ways to make sure each advanced HDMI feature is working as expected- 4k, Atmos audio and HDR - if one of the on-screen toggles is grayed out, something is set up wrong or incompatible with your TV.

There are cheaper Atmos soundbars - but the 5600 is arguably the or one of the best. Again the only bummer is the HDR/4k split. If they fix that in a firmware update or a revision it'll be perfect. Otherwise you need a splitter.

https://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/ysp-5600/review

I stan for this thing for free. I don't know anyone at Yamaha and I paid retail for it.

Nice tip about Insects. I have it downloaded, never actually got around to using it.

And the 5600 is that good, eh?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm debating getting an X. Gamepass and having access to my old 360 games is starting to sound appealing and I'm not planning to jump onto the next gen right at launch this time. Do we think there will be an X price drop any time soon?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm debating getting an X. Gamepass and having access to my old 360 games is starting to sound appealing and I'm not planning to jump onto the next gen right at launch this time. Do we think there will be an X price drop any time soon?

There more or less has been. It seems like it's been on sale for $399 pretty regularly since the holiday rush.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you (generally, not you specifically lol), play games off both? Or can you only designate one as the external hdd?
You can have games on any HDDs (multiple externals and internal), the console will load the game from where it is. If it's on multiple HDDs, it will load it from only one.

You don't designate an HDD as the external, you can have multiple external HDDs formatted for games (and rename it), I even have one for captures.
Each game formatted HDD will be visible in the game storage, and you'll be able to chose the default one for new games (just like External or Internal).

I was just moving games from one to another, but games were still on my Installed list and it did not care on which HDD it was.
To make it simple I tend to put Xbox One games on the external and BC games and apps on the internal.

In the game library you can filter by HDD if you want to move games.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
You can have games on any HDDs (multiple externals and internal), the console will load the game from where it is. If it's on multiple HDDs, it will load it from only one.

You don't designate an HDD as the external, you can have multiple external HDDs formatted for games (and rename it), I even have one for captures.
Each game formatted HDD will be visible in the game storage, and you'll be able to chose the default one for new games (just like External or Internal).

I was just moving games from one to another, but games were still on my Installed list and it did not care on which HDD it was.

Thank you!

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
So i was playing a game, it crashed, no games would work then suddenly i had no games on my external drive? Xbox doesn't even pick it now.. I assume it's completely dead? Weird it was working then suddenly poof. What's a good external to pick up? Reliable one? WD?

I tried restarted xbox, forcing it to shut down, refreshing etc.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So i was playing a game, it crashed, no games would work then suddenly i had no games on my external drive? Xbox doesn't even pick it now.. I assume it's completely dead? Weird it was working then suddenly poof. What's a good external to pick up? Reliable one? WD?

WD is always a good choice.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I'm having an issue with my X1X. I have sound set to Dolby Atmos, but over the last few weeks, whenever I turn on my console, the sound settings have changed to something else.

Atmos shows up on my avr, when I change it, but then during games, it changes to Dolby surround (which is understandable if the game doesn't have Atmos), but it doesn't change back to Atmos when I'm on the X1X homescreen and game quitted.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
HELP! My X1X display just got dimmed suddenly and everything is dark!

Edit: It looks like the issue is from the tv. Tried other consoles and all the same

Edit 2: Look like the TV glitched for a couple of seconds! Thank god its back to normal or I would've called Sony and hammered them

Last edited:

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After going back and forth for more than six months, I'd just ordered a white Xbox One X :)

Any recommendations for what I should play first when it comes to exclusives?

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
If I have a Microsoft Account and a separate Xbox account, how do I link them?

I purchased Gears of War 4 on the former for PC, but want to use play anywhere on the latter on Xbox.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
If I have a Microsoft Account and a separate Xbox account, how do I link them?

I purchased Gears of War 4 on the former for PC, but want to use play anywhere on the latter on Xbox.

Both are Microsoft accounts. You can log into the Xbox with the account that purchased GoW4 and set the Xbox as home for that account. Then you can install GoW4 and play with your other account.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but it's worth a try.

I installed Vermintide 2 yesterday to try the mouse and keyboard support. Game seems to be great fun, but it looks like it needs the controller to be on. BUT, it shuts down after 15min I think and the game tells me to reconnect the controller.

Is this intentional? It's really weird, and I can't find a setting to disable the auto shutdown of the controller.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but it's worth a try.

I installed Vermintide 2 yesterday to try the mouse and keyboard support. Game seems to be great fun, but it looks like it needs the controller to be on. BUT, it shuts down after 15min I think and the game tells me to reconnect the controller.

Is this intentional? It's really weird, and I can't find a setting to disable the auto shutdown of the controller.
I've not used mouse and keyboard, so not sure about that.

If you plug the controller in with a cable, it should stay on indefinitely though. Not sure there is a setting to leave it on, when using battery.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I've not used mouse and keyboard, so not sure about that.

If you plug the controller in with a cable, it should stay on indefinitely though. Not sure there is a setting to leave it on, when using battery.
Oh, thanks. I'll plug it in and try again tonight. Otherwise the M+K support is great though. Here is hope PC games like Anno 1800 and Civ will find their way to the system, too, now that they could run without problems...

CovFan

Oct 25, 2017
Really annoyed that I think the hard drive in my one X is failing and the Microsoft out of warranty repairs is going to cost me nearly £200.

Anybody have any experience on replacing the internal HDD? Is it fairly simple?

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a general Xbox One hardware thread? I can't find anything for the S. Apologies if this is the wrong place.

I recently bought a One S. Into the Spider-verse convinced me it was time to get a UHD player. But I'd also like to play some competitive multiplayer using a controller. M\K hurts my wrist too much. Got a really good price too!

The problem is the fan makes way too much noise for something in my den. A distracting whiny clicky noise. I returned it a couple times and the replacements made just as much noise.

So I opened it up and I'm gonna replace the fan with a Noctua. The issue I'm having is the fan wont quite fit because of the shape of the top RF shield. I was wondering is there any real reason I can't just remove the top shield? I mean I have a computer in a mostly plastic case attached to the same TV.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's going to be fun watching Microsoft fight a war on two fronts. Going head to head with google and Sony in different segments will be really tough and I'm not sure they can come out ahead.

uncledonnie

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to be fun watching Microsoft fight a war on two fronts. Going head to head with google and Sony in different segments will be really tough and I'm not sure they can come out ahead.

I don't think they view it as two fronts. XBOX is a service and it's all the same to them. They just want as many MAUs as possible.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I plugged my ethernet cable to my Xbox One X by a powerline adapter, same as I had done for a long time with the same console, but the Xbox One X does not even seem to recognize that there is an ethernet cable connected to it at all. It keeps asking to set up a wired connection.

The odd thing is that the powerline adapter is also connected to the PS4 and that one works with no issues at all.

I tried power cycling it, restarting it via the quick startup option, and unplugged the cable and plugged it back in. No change at all.

Please help thank you!

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
My wife's nephew was at our house last week while I was out, and he was playing my Xbox. I'm totally fine with that, and I've told him he is more than welcome to.

I saw him yesterday and he asked me if I had any issues playing my games. He told me he recovered his account on my Xbox and setup game share.

I don't have any issue with that, I just want to make sure that my games and information are safe. Should I be worried about anything? I don't even know what he did to be honest.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
My wife's nephew was at our house last week while I was out, and he was playing my Xbox. I'm totally fine with that, and I've told him he is more than welcome to.

I saw him yesterday and he asked me if I had any issues playing my games. He told me he recovered his account on my Xbox and setup game share.

I don't have any issue with that, I just want to make sure that my games and information are safe. Should I be worried about anything? I don't even know what he did to be honest.
You've nothing to worry about. If anything, the nephew did you a service by adding his Xbox account to your Xbox: his saves, dashboard settings, and so on are completely separated from yours. Saves being the important part here, in my opinion.

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
Dunno if this is new but just got a message from Xbox Live, apparently Live in the UK is going up from £40 to £50 due to "market conditions" starting from August 7th 2019.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be doing a halo lan this weekend with the MCC. First one of these on the One, so I'm curious. Do we have to use ethernet? Or can the xbox's connect to my mesh wifi and we still be able to lan?

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if this is new but just got a message from Xbox Live, apparently Live in the UK is going up from £40 to £50 due to "market conditions" starting from August 7th 2019.

As of 8th of May according to me message, not sure what market conditions there talking about. So basically the price had increased approx 25%!!!......not even British Gas puts their bills up by that much so why does MS get a pass for doing such a price hike!?

To be fair ive never paid £39.99 for Xbox Live ever!

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
As of 8th of May according to me message, not sure what market conditions there talking about. So basically the price had increased approx 25%!!!......not even British Gas puts their bills up by that much so why does MS get a pass for doing such a price hike!?

To be fair ive never paid £39.99 for Xbox Live ever!

Puts it on-par with inflation, as well as the cost in other countries. As you point out, the retail price hasn't changed since it was first introduced in the UK.

Oct 27, 2017
One question, does the Xbox take longer to load games when you're downloading games? I swear Shadow of the Tomb Raider took ages to load yesterday when I was downloading games, but faster today that I wasnt

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I purchased a Xbox One X two days ago and I'm amazed by how bad the UI is. It seems to stutter so bad to the point that it's making it hard to enjoy the console.
I purchased this over the PS4 Pro because I love the hardware, controller and better multi-plats and I also think MS are killing it with the studios they've purchased but this UI is so painful.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One question, does the Xbox take longer to load games when you're downloading games? I swear Shadow of the Tomb Raider took ages to load yesterday when I was downloading games, but faster today that I wasnt
If you are downloading on the same drive that have to load a game yes, the HDD has to read data and write at the same time, this also happen on PC or other consoles.
Depending on your downloading speed it can be noticeable or not (the faster you download the more impact it has).

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Is there such a thing as a Fake Xbox Elite Controller??

An eBay seller has a fair few at about 45% off retail price said there brand new but box has been opened or box could be damaged, offers 12 month warranty and has over 30k feedback at 99%. Just seems super cheap and wonder if there are counterfeit Xbox elite pads like the normal pads??