• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I just opened my two day old Xbox one X division 2 bundle that was manufactured in November to find the thermal paste to be so dry it was practically useless.
There were also moisture marks on the board and hdmi and USB ports. You would have thought this was a reconditioned repackaged console.
Although I'm more confident now that the vapour chamber and fan are doing their job properly now.

ScootingNinja

Alt account
Banned
Mar 6, 2019
Current OG PS4 owner. Just purchased a 4k TV. Contemplating trading in the PS and getting the X. 4k and Uhd player are intriguing. Not really locked into the PS ecosystem, nor do I really play online games. Wise to make the jump now? Or should I just wait for next gen?

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone recommend some replacement bumpers for a controller for me? The rb button on my Sea of Thieves controller will not register. I've tried adding a little bit of tape to help the leg of the RB press down on the button but that doesn't help long term.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone recommend some replacement bumpers for a controller for me? The rb button on my Sea of Thieves controller will not register. I've tried adding a little bit of tape to help the leg of the RB press down on the button but that doesn't help long term.
Have you tried blowing into it? I know it sounds silly but sometimes tiny particles get stuck in there and blowing into the bumper can fix it, I had a similar problem before and this fixed it, literally blow into it like it's a whistle ...however if something is actually broken in there then this isn't a fix.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Current OG PS4 owner. Just purchased a 4k TV. Contemplating trading in the PS and getting the X. 4k and Uhd player are intriguing. Not really locked into the PS ecosystem, nor do I really play online games. Wise to make the jump now? Or should I just wait for next gen?

BF sales would have been the best time, but there are still decent promos to be had. If you can afford the console, the X is solid.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I swear Battlefront II is doing a number on my Xbox One X console. Nearly every time I launch the game and the console fan kicks into high gear the system shuts down with the overheating warning. Haven't had this issue with any other games to date.

Anyone else dealt with this?

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Something I find fairly baffling is that I have an Xbox One X and a good Gaming PC. Thus, I thought I could cross-play a lot of games. But not really. This is a weird oversight, no?

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
After swapping my new Xbox One X for an new one, the fan is still quite loud on Forza 3 and Assassins Creed Origins. So I opened it up and after trying new thermal paste it isn't much better. The original paste is dry and flaky.
I then opened it again and used liquid metal and this has improved it so much more to the point it's nearly silent. The transfer of heat to the vapour chamber must be near perfect for liquid metal to make this much of a difference.
I've ordered a 1 TB SSD to exchange the internal HDD for a SSD this week is I'm expecting that to improve noise, game asset streaming and heat levels even more.
The hardware engineers that worked on the One X are genius, this is the most densely packed and easiest to open console I've ever seen.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
After swapping my new Xbox One X for an new one, the fan is still quite loud on Forza 3 and Assassins Creed Origins. So I opened it up and after trying new thermal paste it isn't much better. The original paste is dry and flaky.
I then opened it again and used liquid metal and this has improved it so much more to the point it's nearly silent. The transfer of heat to the vapour chamber must be near perfect for liquid metal to make this much of a difference.
I've ordered a 1 TB SSD to exchange the internal HDD for a SSD this week is I'm expecting that to improve noise, game asset streaming and heat levels even more.
The hardware engineers that worked on the One X are genius, this is the most densely packed and easiest to open console I've ever seen.
Will it work with a 3rd party drive that isn't ID signed to your console?

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I swapped the HDD for a SSD and I can't see any performances difference. The UI still stutters so save your money and don't bother doing what I did.
I'm absolutely dumbfounded that a Xbox One X with a SSD still stutters when moving are the UI.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Ok ladies and gents, I had an X a few months ago and ended up selling it due to lack of use. BUT, in typical compulsive gamer fashion a like-new model in my area availed itself to me for $300 and I bit, with a copy of Darksiders III( don't care for that series so will probably sell off unless I'm convinced its worth a playthrough). Sooooo, I'm back on the X train, and looking for some good exclusives that aren't also on PC, so I guess that would mostly restrict me to some xbox indie exclusives if there's such a thing? Looking for recommendations( and dammit I JUST missed the spring sale!). I'm definitely planning on taking advantage of its BC capabilities and grabbing a few of the OG xbox titles as well.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swapped the HDD for a SSD and I can't see any performances difference. The UI still stutters so save your money and don't bother doing what I did.
I'm absolutely dumbfounded that a Xbox One X with a SSD still stutters when moving are the UI.

The OS and HW of current console aren't equipped for real SSD speeds

Next consoles should be amazing though!

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Because the OS is internet bound and hardware wont make much of a difference.

Every time you move to a different tab like store, game pass, my games/apps, the OS is checking for updates etc hence you get all the stutter etc.

I only use the SSD externally and see a massive difference compared to stock HDD when it comes to games (not OS), especially open world with a lot of streaming.

An internal SSD should be even a bit better with games, but again, not with the OS

Last edited:

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Because the OS is internet bound and hardware wont make much of a difference.

Every time you move to a different tab like store, game pass, my games/apps, the OS is checking for updates etc hence you get all the shutter etc.

I only use the SSD externally and see a massive difference compared to stock HDD when it comes to games (not OS), especially open world with a lot of streaming.

An internal SSD should be even a small bit better with games, but not with the OS
Thanks, that explains the stutters although I'll admit that after testing for a couple of days, games load so much quicker. I can get the not a game of Ori within fifteen seconds and Horizon 3 plays the way it should.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I upgraded my tv a couple of weeks ago (had the TCL P605 previously but it died out on me) so I was replaying through a bunch of games to see how they look now. Gears 4 looks unbelievable, holy hell. From the clarity, HDR, and smoothness. It's just crazy to me how this game has held up since 2016 with the X enhancements. I think it stacks up still to anything on the market.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Did you just pop-in the SSD and it works as normal? I thought MS locked down inernal hard drives to a specifgic console ID?

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
UI stuttering is due to network, it constantly talks to servers to refresh information. Not really about storage speed. You can see a massive improvement with games.

Last edited:

Red5

Oct 27, 2017
So I was having problems with my Scorpio launch console (crashes because of overheating and really loud fan for x enhanced games).

Finally took a few hours to disassemble, clean and apply some new thermal paste. Wasn't very dirty inside but a few of the thermal pads were off kilter and the thermal paste was just caked everywhere.

Huge difference! No more crashes and the fan doesn't spin up as high anymore (was like a jet in Metro Exodus). Glad I did it.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

my (brand new) ipad stutters (occasionally). the device that if you read the apple fan propaganda is 100% smooth at all times. From the company, Apple, that puts in powerful CPU's, own both the hardware and the software stack, and prides above all else on smoothness, and has literal mountains of money to accomplish that.

Stuttering is probably a fact of life.

But I do think the Xbox UI/store is pretty awful and slow and can stutter badly (I dont own the other two consoles but I'm sure they're just as bad). But the difference is this is supposed to be a software company of the three.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
UI stuttering is due to network, it constantly talks to servers to refresh information. Not really about storage speed. You can see a massive improvement with games.

Hi Destiny guy. I bought a 480GB external SSD cheap basically to put Destiny on. I didn't really NOTICE a difference. Not to say there isn''t one or you couldn't time it. Just my experience. Also I installed it right after one of my hiatuses, so I wasn't intimately familiar with the load times like if I'd been straight playing.

Then again I seem to load into activities way before other players sometimes (like the reckoning, I'll see other dudes on the roster but they sometimes wont actually pop into the game back at the start area until I'm already wagering a mote). Dunno if that's the X itself or the SSD or my fast internet or what.

Me I'm forever torn between buying a 4TB or even 8TB mechanical and being done with storage issues, or going for speed, or some combo. Unfortunately now I've made a mess of half measures over time as I now have two external's (Originally bought a 1TB seagate hybrid external a long time ago for my One when SSD's were still pricey) and now the 480 GB SSD so that's two external's already dangling off plus the internal...I'm sometimes tempted to just pick up an 8TB external mechanical and throw the other two away (or at least on a shelf somewhere)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So there doesn't seem to be a general Xbox hardware thread so I'm posting here, as my last two similar posts have fallen on deaf ears due to the E3 hubbub.

After yesterday's conference I'm really tempted to pick up a Xbox One S to replace the Blu-Ray player below the TV and as practically an exclusive Game Pass box plus whatever of my 360 games are backwards compatible. I actually have been planning to put my Xbox 360 up on eBay soon to get whatever I can for it so maybe I'll keep some of my actual 360 discs to carry over to a potential XBO in the future.

My biggest stumbling blocks are its price, available bundles, and how many games I already have. $250 is a tough sell for a six-year old platform. I could wait for Black Friday but I don't really know how much cheaper it would really get since it was $189 a BF or two back. Secondly the bundles that are now available all kinda stink. I don't care about Fortnite, Battlefield, The Division, or NBA2K. I wish I could just get a XBO without a bundled title for $200, though I guess I could probably sell whatever skins are included in the Fortnite bundle and get a bit back for that, even moreso if I go with the Purple console color.

Finally I've got so many games across my existing platforms to play that stacking on a Xbox almost doesn't seem worth it at this point. It'd be nice to have for disc-based Playback but I already have an Apple TV that handles Media apps only so I'd be looking at a glorified Blu-Ray player that plays some games.

Alternatively, what's the scuttlebutt on building a PC thats comparable to the Xbox One S? I figure it's nigh impossible with Windows alone costing $100, but that may be a viable alternative.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So there doesn't seem to be a general Xbox hardware thread so I'm posting here, as my last two similar posts have fallen on deaf ears due to the E3 hubbub.

After yesterday's conference I'm really tempted to pick up a Xbox One S to replace the Blu-Ray player below the TV and as practically an exclusive Game Pass box plus whatever of my 360 games are backwards compatible. I actually have been planning to put my Xbox 360 up on eBay soon to get whatever I can for it so maybe I'll keep some of my actual 360 discs to carry over to a potential XBO in the future.

My biggest stumbling blocks are its price, available bundles, and how many games I already have. $250 is a tough sell for a six-year old platform. I could wait for Black Friday but I don't really know how much cheaper it would really get since it was $189 a BF or two back. Secondly the bundles that are now available all kinda stink. I don't care about Fortnite, Battlefield, The Division, or NBA2K. I wish I could just get a XBO without a bundled title for $200, though I guess I could probably sell whatever skins are included in the Fortnite bundle and get a bit back for that, even moreso if I go with the Purple console color.

Finally I've got so many games across my existing platforms to play that stacking on a Xbox almost doesn't seem worth it at this point. It'd be nice to have for disc-based Playback but I already have an Apple TV that handles Media apps only so I'd be looking at a glorified Blu-Ray player that plays some games.

Alternatively, what's the scuttlebutt on building a PC thats comparable to the Xbox One S? I figure it's nigh impossible with Windows alone costing $100, but that may be a viable alternative.

Keep an eye out and you can find deals for $200 via sites like Rakuten. Or you can just peep Craigslist.

Honestly, if you can hit the $200 price point, or close, it's not a bad deal for a capable disc player. Good number of apps, integrates with Movies Anywhere, supports Alexa voice control, etc. Plus you have the Game Pass option if you're going that route.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Keep an eye out and you can find deals for $200 via sites like Rakuten. Or you can just peep Craigslist.

Honestly, if you can hit the $200 price point, or close, it's not a bad deal for a capable disc player. Good number of apps, integrates with Movies Anywhere, supports Alexa voice control, etc. Plus you have the Game Pass option if you're going that route.
Also, it's worth mentioning that the Blu-Ray player in the Xbox One S is an UHD Blu-Ray player. So, that's a bit more worthwhile, in my opinion.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Also, it's worth mentioning that the Blu-Ray player in the Xbox One S is an UHD Blu-Ray player. So, that's a bit more worthwhile, in my opinion.

Unfortunately I don't have a 4K television (Which is why I'm not considering the One X in the first place) but it'll be nice to future proof myself I guess.

Though it'd be my luck that the television will outlast the Xbox.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Is the Store really slow for anyone else? Often it gets stuck on playing a video and won't let me scroll down to the product details.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

If the 360 games you want to play are X enhanced, absolutely go for the X. It's mind blowing how good stuff looks, even when downscaled to 1080p. And you'll probably go 4k this black Friday. I nearly picked up another 4k tv to use a as a computer display for like 260$ at target and it was 43 inches or something. Playing Gears 2 or 3 is just mind meltingly good on xbox one x.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If the 360 games you want to play are X enhanced, absolutely go for the X. It's mind blowing how good stuff looks, even when downscaled to 1080p. And you'll probably go 4k this black Friday. I nearly picked up another 4k tv to use a as a computer display for like 260$ at target and it was 43 inches or something. Playing Gears 2 or 3 is just mind meltingly good on xbox one x.

I generally don't buy new a new TV until the old one up and dies on me, so I doubt I'll have a 4K set for a few years.

Rossonero

Nov 6, 2017
Got the Xbox One X yesterday and it's pretty snappy despite being on crappy WiFi. Just tried Forza 7 and Rocket League and they are awesome in 4k HDR.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
So i just applied some Arctic Silver 5 to the APU on my Xbox One X, the paste that was on there was already flaky and dry so im not sure what type of paste they are using but must be cheap stuff what ever it is.

This is what the thing looked like when i took it apart.....

cE4MOFg.jpg

all cleaned up....

14eCUd5.jpg

and then with the thermal past applied...

0GAV2bu.jpg

Havent properly tried it out yet just leaving the Xbox idling on the dash so the thermal paste can settle thoroughly at the moment

Major necro-reply but curious what you used to get the old paste off? Was it flaky enough that it came off without much issue?

My Xbox One X went out of warranty in February and sounds like a jet is taking off when trying to play Battlefront 2. I'm thinking I have a similar thermal paste issue and don't really want to fork over the $250 Microsoft is asking for repair.

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
Major necro-reply but curious what you used to get the old paste off? Was it flaky enough that it came off without much issue?

My Xbox One X went out of warranty in February and sounds like a jet is taking off when trying to play Battlefront 2. I'm thinking I have a similar thermal paste issue and don't really want to fork over the $250 Microsoft is asking for repair.

90%+ Isopropyl Alcohol and qtips.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I'm looking at an external hard drive for my XBox One X. I think I've settled on WD over Seagate and now am looking at My Book vs. Elements. I'd probably get a 4TB, maybeeee an 8TB. Anyone have experience with any of them? Thanks!

Also, went to buy a new controller from Amazon -- despite it saying "by Microsoft" I noticed on checkout it was from "M&M Gaming". I backed out, read up some, and is it some Chinese knock-off? I just want a real Microsoft controller, but didn't see any way to get to that via changing purchase options or anything.

Last edited:

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Thread activity is down, but don't know where else to post this. Anybody using their One X on a HDR monitor?

HDR is not working on my Xbox One X, however it works fine on my PS4 with the exact same cable. The 4K details in the Xbox tells me that my display doesn't support HDR10 gaming, but has green checks under the movie section etc. That isn't true because as I mentioned before, on my PS4 it works fine, and I get HDR confirmation on any compatible game. Looking for help on how to resolve this on the Xbox side.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Thread activity is down, but don't know where else to post this. Anybody using their One X on a HDR monitor?

HDR is not working on my Xbox One X, however it works fine on my PS4 with the exact same cable. The 4K details in the Xbox tells me that my display doesn't support HDR10 gaming, but has green checks under the movie section etc. That isn't true because as I mentioned before, on my PS4 it works fine, and I get HDR confirmation on any compatible game. Looking for help on how to resolve this on the Xbox side.
Which monitor are you using?

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Which monitor are you using?

ASUS PG27UQ.

HDR works fine for gaming using my PC and Pro. HDR works fine with the One X on my OLED. It's only when it's hooked up to the monitor that it becomes an issue, and as I mentioned, I literally take the exact HDMI cable out of the PS4 and into my Xbox.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My Xbox One X (Scorpio Edition) gave up the ghost at some point two weeks ago, I think the video element in it failed. It boots but never sends a real video signal to the TV... the TV can tell somethings plugged into it, but nothing ever comes through and it stays in an error state.

Repairing it looks really difficult, requiring soldering and a lot of effort, and unfortunately a repair from Microsoft is $250 which sucks... ALmost the cost of a new console.

I had issues with about a year ago and I honestly should have sent it back then. It would run incredibly hot when playing 4K/HDR, first noticed it with the new Tomb Raider, and I thought maybe it was Tomb Raider, like a buggy game. When it would get super hot the game would perform poorly, audio would cut out and scramble, and then my controller would disconnect, and then reconnect. Then I didn't notice it for a while but it started up again with Red Dead Redemption II. By now it was already well past my warranty period. For the most part I'd keep it running alright by just keeping play sessions to an hour or so, which fit my lifestyle anyway. Then, it happened with Sea of Thieves and I knew it was a problem with the machine. Finally, I was away on vacation came back to power it up and play Bloodstained, and it seemed dead... no video, I think the video unit, the video card to the HDMI port, burned out or something.

Microsoft has been pretty unhelpful throughout all of this, and the $250 or $275 repair fee is just too much to ask, especially if it doesn't fix the problem.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Have you tried toggling 4:2:2? Some monitors require it.

Finally, I was away on vacation came back to power it up and play Bloodstained, and it seemed dead... no video, I think the video unit, the video card to the HDMI port, burned out or something.

Are you in preview program?

i keep getting this error on my xbox one x scorpio edition 0x8007045d its the hdd?

That is a Windows registry error, which could indicate corruption of a file or the physical drive. When does it happen?

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried toggling 4:2:2? Some monitors require it.

I've had my monitor for over half a year and never thought to check that box. The PS4 just worked with HDR on my monitor, and I assumed it should do the same on Xbox. Checked the box and now HDR10 gaming is checked in the Settings menu, and loading up a game it switches to HDR, just as it does on PS4. Unbelievable.

Thank you!

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
When i try to play some games, or even when i download some games

Try a system restore. If that doesn't solve it, drive is suspect.

I've had my monitor for over half a year and never thought to check that box. The PS4 just worked with HDR on my monitor, and I assumed it should do the same on Xbox. Checked the box and now HDR10 gaming is checked in the Settings menu, and loading up a game it switches to HDR, just as it does on PS4. Unbelievable.

Thank you!

Purely a monitor thing. Some require it. Glad to hear you are good to go.

I think so yeah, any tricks?

USB restore. That can happen with preview if you go too long between updates. USB restore should get the system back.

tombo85

Oct 25, 2017
Power surge may have destroyed my Project Scorpio edition. Every other device connected to surge protector is fine