• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
These lists always are in favor of the console, because they:
a) Use components that are much more powerful like the cpu
b) Don't use the best prices
c) Include things that no one uses on PC and thus are priced at a premium like the Blu-Ray drive
d) Include things that the console doesn't have like a Windows license

QnD with EU prices without Blu-Ray and Windows i come out around the One X price.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Not when you need and OS, Keyboard, Monitor, Multi-function mouse, Headphones, mousepad, windows 10, Broadband internet, speakers....

It's never gonna be possible to build a PC for cheap.
Bolded are a reach mousepad isn't necessary and why list Windows 10 again if OS was mentioned, and the broadband internet, same for Xbox don't get that one, Monitor and speakers same thing with buying a TV for the console

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I know this is going for building a PC strictly for gaming, but when I built my PC I did not build it just for gaming. I also built it for Windows and it's multitude of programs and such that an Xbox can't do at all. I factored that in the price as well when I built mine.

Last edited:

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PC in the OP is huge compared to the X (ATX mid-tower) and will also be a lot louder and have a much larger power draw too, not great for lefty liberal planet savers.

Oct 25, 2017
c) Include things that no one uses on PC and thus are priced at a premium like the Blu-Ray drive

QnD with EU prices without Blu-Ray and Windows i come out around the One X price.
You're not getting 4K output with a GTX1060. Hate to burst your bubble.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Get real, man. Despite the limitations of Jaguar, the "underpowered" XB1X outperforms any PC anywhere near it's price range. That includes PCs with modern CPUs.

But...that's kinda' the thing. You don't build a gaming PC at or near console price points unless you're just looking to play really casually. PC's the Cadillac option. It's supposed to cost a good bit more.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But...that's kinda' the thing. You don't build a gaming PC at or near console price points unless you're just looking to play really casually. PC's the Cadillac option. It's supposed to cost a good bit more.

Not true. Most gaming PCs are built at budget price points. High-end $1500 PCs are extremely niche. Here's the top GPUs used on Steam over the month of October 2017:
http:///S18c.png
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Every single one of them is slower than the GPU that powers the XB1X.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
The cost of gaming is more than the cost of the hardware. Pc hardware is more expensive, but free online gaming, cheaper games, better discounts and free mods and community content are a huge advantage.

Not saying pc-gaming isn't more expensive than console gaming, but the difference isn't as huge as some people say.

While you certainly make a valid point about online being free on PC, I don't know that the games themselves are actually cheaper. Take Assassin's Creed Origins. I just bought that from Best buy. $48 after GCU, and I get a fee $10 Reward Zone card by ordering. So I applied the one I got from the last game I ordered and that brought the cost down to $38. I'm going to finish it this weekend and then trade it into Gamestop for $27.50 for a final cost of $10.50. Possibly will trade it into Best buy or Amazon, but it's not up on their sites yet.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
While you certainly make a valid point about online being free on PC, I don't know that the games themselves are actually cheaper. Take Assassin's Creed Origins. I just bought that from Best buy. $48 after GCU, and I get a fee $10 Reward Zone card by ordering. So I applied the one I got from the last game I ordered and that brought the cost down to $38. I'm going to finish it this weekend and then trade it into Gamestop for $27.50 for a final cost of $10.50. Possibly will trade it into Best buy or Amazon, but it's not up on their sites yet.

You could also sell your copy on eBay and generally make most if not all your money back, and sometime some more depending on the preorder offer.

Hatebringer

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Given the way the PC market is right now? Absolutely not. RAM and GPUs are still expensive. It's in a terrible, shitty place and I would not recommend building a PC in 2017.

Give it six/twelve months, maybe then you can make a good new build. And definitely a kickass used build.

Take a look at the top games played on Steam some time, or the games mentioned in the Steam threads on this forum. None of them require high end rigs.

For my experience, my PC didn't cost much more than an XBX (around $600) and it's basically just as powerful, give or take. I'm very happy with it. I built it 18 months ago.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldnt it be kind of dumb for MS to pay for parts that are more expensive than newegg and amazon prices...?

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

It always impresses me how far out of touch people are on these forums with why PC gaming is actually as popular as it is, it's not a dig at you in particular, it's common among certain communities. It's just very wrong. The huge majority of the market is not the high end stuff we see here, it's popular for a whole host of reasons that have very little to do with the power available to the platform.

IplayGames4Fun

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It always impresses me how far out of touch people are on these forums with why PC gaming is actually as popular as it is, it's not a dig at you in particular, it's common among certain communities. It's just very wrong. The huge majority of the market is not the high end stuff we see here, it's popular for a whole host of reasons that have very little to do with the power available to the platform.
do you mean reality wise popular or vocal minority popular reasoning?

Oct 29, 2017
These are like budgeting for a DSLR with the caveat that it only has one lens for every use and it is cheaper than a zoom lens camera.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Should be taken into consideration that X1X also resorts to checkerboard and dynamic resolutions.

A PC capable of maintaining native 4k@30fps in virtually every game is a more capable machine than the console.

Oct 25, 2017

I think people are very used to thinking of "PC" as a boxed in, defined platform as opposed to the reality, which is literally whatever you want it to be.

You can see this in PC Building threads when people show up with a budget but have no idea what they want. They haven't asked themselves the important questions: what games do you want to play, at what resolution? What else do you do with the PC? And so on. You dictate the price by dictating features and performance. You might be able to slap together an ubercheap used eSports build for $100-200.

I would imagine a huge swath of unexamined video gamers in the market are playing on PC's that aren't much more powerful than an Xbox 360, and PC's in that range are practically free on eBay.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Should be taken into consideration that X1X also resorts to checkerboard and dynamic resolutions.

A PC capable of maintaining native 4k@30fps in virtually every game is a more capable machine than the console.

That PC will likely cost more than the 1X, especially if you include components like a UHD drive, and that's the point of the thread.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The folks building these PCs didn't just go by some vague "4K@30fps" claim. They took the actual detailed specifications of the XB1X and tried to match them with an equivalent PC.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD

I think these are dumb too, albeit somewhat fun. That being said, for C you could take off the bluray drives they had in the builds and the cost would not be down to $500. For A, you could say they are using a much more powerful cpu, but if the most basic cpu is still more powerful than a console cpu, that does not mean that its cost is unfair to include in the comparison. If you want to build a pc you will have to pay for that, even if it is relatively cheap and a hell of a lot more powerful than a console cpu. The cost is still there as part of the barrier to entry. As for D, why shouldn't the cost of windows installation be included? If it is necessary for playing the games and the computer is not an oem device that comes with the OS it makes perfect sense to include the cost.

All of this aside, go with what you can afford and what you feel most comfortable with.

Oct 25, 2017
Can I just turn up my nose at the builds in the OP for a moment?

Like, if you're buying an RX 580 at $290, you know the market is screwed. Holy shit. And nearly $60 for 8GB RAM.

When prices are this bad, just don't even bother building a PC. Just buy the Xbox if you need games now. Building a PC will get ten times better next year, with cheaper Intel Coffee Lake motherboards, maybe some better value GPUs, and hopefully an end to the RAM shortage.

Also, nobody should be buying an FX series chip when the Pentium G4560 exists for half the price. And the i5 7400 isn't bad, but it's probably unnecessary. The Ryzen build is probably the best.

The folks building these PCs didn't just go by some vague "4K@30fps" claim. They took the actual detailed specifications of the XB1X and tried to match them with an equivalent PC.

Which is, I think as we can all agree upon having seen the builds, is extremely stupid and kind of a waste of time.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That PC will likely cost more than the 1X, especially if you include components like a UHD drive, and that's the point of the thread.

Then include with the X1X the Live subscription cost, because it costs to play online there. PC is free.

See? We can go back and forth, in the end, a 500 PC with the parts that matter can have a good chance at matching the 1X - or surpassing it taking into consideration checkerboarding shenanigans and an old ass jaguar chugging along in there.

UHD drive is useless for PC gaming when almost everyone just downloads from steam. Adding unnecessary parts to a PC just because the console crucially needs them doesn't make for a fair comparison.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
Impossible, I cannot afford a house, a friend to play with, and - for some reason - four gameboy advance with connection cables.

To be serious; I think that would be hard, if you do not have a valid windows key.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

That's a great deal you have there! I don't think such reward cards even exist in my country. Console games are at least €60 here ($68). I pay half that price for a Steam key from 3rd party keystores, so that's a huge difference.

But I save most thanks to bundles (Humble etc) and steep discounts (Steam sales, key stores). Pc games are also discounted much earlier and more frequent than console games.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Then include with the X1X the Live subscription cost, because it costs to play online there. PC is free.

See? We can go back and forth, in the end, a 500 PC with the parts that matter can have a good chance at matching the 1X - or surpassing it taking into consideration checkerboarding shenanigans and an old ass jaguar chugging along in there.

UHD drive is useless for PC gaming when almost everyone just downloads from steam. Adding unnecessary parts to a PC just because the console crucially needs them doesn't make for a fair comparison.

I'm not intending to go back and forth, just like I'm not intending to change the narrative of the conversation to fit my point of view. PC is my main platform of choice for gaming, but when comparing strictly hardware, the 1X offers a great value that you can't match on PC when comparing apples to apples.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already said this earlier in the thread, but XBL Gold is not that simple. Do you get several free, oftentimes AAA games every month on your gaming PC? It's not as simple as "Oh, we need to add $150 to this build for the cost of XBL for three years". Some people don't play online so they don't opt for XBL Gold. Some people find XBL Gold totally worth it for the "free" games alone. Some people only play online a couple months a year, so they only subscribe during that time. Some people on PC pay for their own subscription service like EA Access or Humble Bundle. There's a lot of variables.

in the end, a 500 PC with the parts that matter can have a good chance at matching the 1X - or surpassing it taking into consideration checkerboarding shenanigans and an old ass jaguar chugging along in there.

Again, you're wrong here. In the article listed in the OP you can see clearly that even without a UHD drive, and hell even without including a Windows 10 key, you can't build a PC that performs as well in gaming as the XB1X at the same price point.

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not intending to go back and forth, just like I'm not intending to change the narrative of the conversation to fit my point of view. PC is my main platform of choice for gaming, but when comparing strictly hardware, the 1X offers a great value that you can't match on PC when comparing apples to apples.

That value is only true when considering gaming only. Maybe. Again, can't stress enough checkerboarding techniques/dynamic res that gives you the ilusion of a console being more capable than it actually is.

Even video streaming on 1X or consoles in general already loses to a plethora of features, options and freedom that a console simply doesn't have.

Then you have a full fledged OS on the PC side to round it up nicely.

Making a price/performance comparison and then make walled comparisons only within the limits of what the console can do and ignoring the vast superiority the other has to offer is just a very biased comparison.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have a PC in my living room that has never been hooked up to anything other than a television. I use it only for gaming. People have home theater PCs in a similar situation -- their only purpose is to play media on their television. "Why on earth?" well, because that's a use case that works for us.

I'm not attempting to catch you tripping on your words. I'm simply debating the assertion that a monitor is required to use a PC, particularly one that's intended to stand-in for an Xbox as this thread submits.

Most of the higher end 4K TVs such as Samsung KS8000 and the Sony X900 series in terms have very low input lag to begin with which makes them capable substitutes as a PC monitor. The notion that Monitor is required to get full benefit out of the PC is archaic.

This is coming from someone who plays shoot'em ups and 2D fighters too, two specific genres that have a significant emphasis on their response on input timing.

Oct 27, 2017
Buying PC parts at retail price, not in bulk, and not being able to take a hit and lower the price of the parts to be able to recoup the costs via software sales... no, of course I can't build a PC that matches the Xbox One X.

Why would I want to, that's my question. A PC is far more than just resolution and frame rate.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
If you want to do 1440p or higher gaming, then yeah, you're going to want a $200 CPU (modern i5 or Ryzen 5 1600 tier).

I don't think you can just do an apples to apples comparison with customized hardware vs. off the shelf parts.
I'm pretty sure you don't need a $200 CPU to reach 30fps in any resolution on PC.

Just use a Pentinum Gxxx that it will already be better than Jaguar on consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, you're wrong here. In the article listed in the OP you can see clearly that even without a UHD drive, and hell even without including a Windows 10 key, you can't build a PC that performs as well in gaming as the XB1X at the same price point.

If I were creating a build to hit the XBX, I'd go G4560 ($60), GTX 1060 3GB ($200), and whoops look at that, I've just lopped off $140 off of the price of their Ryzen build. This discounts sales, which TBH if you're buying any PC part at MSRP you're doing it wrong.

And again, to reiterate, PC building sucks right now. If you want an Xbox One X, buy that. You can't beat the UHD Blu-Ray inclusion, especially.

But if you want a PC that does 4K/30 on modern titles, wait until next year. But to point at this article as any proof of what you can build a PC to do? Let's avoid that. It's a bad article, and this in general is a bad mindset to think about consoles vs PC anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Bolded are a reach mousepad isn't necessary and why list Windows 10 again if OS was mentioned, and the broadband internet, same for Xbox don't get that one, Monitor and speakers same thing with buying a TV for the console

The only things that should be considerd outside of the actual PC hardware is:

Operating System
Mouse/Keyboard

Nothing else. Except I guess a 5 dollar HDMI cable considering the Xbox One X comes with one.

EDIT:

Also, can people stop the assumption that the only way to get new console games is to pay full 60 dollars for it?

I got The Evil Within 2 new for 47 dollars utilizing Best Buy's GCU program. I finished to completion Wolfienstien 2 via redbox rental for about 7 dollars. I got Until Dawn on sale for 7 dollars off the PSN store. (those are the most recent three games that I played to completion). I don't think I've paid anywhere close to a full 60 dollars on any new console game for over a year now.

Take Assassin's Creed Origins. I just bought that from Best buy. $48 after GCU, and I get a fee $10 Reward Zone card by ordering. So I applied the one I got from the last game I ordered and that brought the cost down to $38. I'm going to finish it this weekend and then trade it into Gamestop for $27.50 for a final cost of $10.50. Possibly will trade it into Best buy or Amazon, but it's not up on their sites yet.

And as said above, if you actually sold it on most any other seller platform (other than Gamestop's trade in program) you could have actually PROFITED off Assassin's Creed Origins.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think these are dumb too, albeit somewhat fun. That being said, for C you could take off the bluray drives they had in the builds and the cost would not be down to $500. For A, you could say they are using a much more powerful cpu, but if the most basic cpu is still more powerful than a console cpu, that does not mean that its cost is unfair to include in the comparison.
It's not the most basic cpu - you could use a 4 or 6 core Piledriver instead of an 8-core.

As for D, why shouldn't the cost of windows installation be included? If it is necessary for playing the games and the computer is not an oem device that comes with the OS it makes perfect sense to include the cost.
Because they mix 2 questions.
One is the money needed if you start from scratch and have to decide between PC and One X.
And the other being about the price/value ratio of the One X.
In the first you include a Windows Key, because that is needed on the PC, but don't have to include Blu-Ray, because it basically doesn't exist on PC.
For the second question it's the opposite, because the X has a Blu-ray drive, but not (the value of) Windows.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
That value is only true when considering gaming only. Maybe. Again, can't stress enough checkerboarding techniques/dynamic res that gives you the ilusion of a console being more capable than it actually is.

Even video streaming on 1X or consoles in general already loses to a plethora of features, options and freedom that a console simply doesn't have.

Then you have a full fledged OS on the PC side to round it up nicely.

Making a price/performance comparison and then make walled comparisons only within the limits of what the console can do and ignoring the vast superiority the other has to offer is just a very biased comparison.

The whole topic of the article is whether it's possible to build a computer that matches the 1X for the same cost. It's not about how much online costs, how open the OS, how easy it is for grandma to use, or what other criteria you want to add to the comparison. It's only about one thing as far as I can see. Biased would be insisting on changing the basis of their comparison to better fit your line of thinking.

I don't disagree with everything you're saying, but the topic of the article isn't about what you're saying anyways.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
MS did such a great job with the X1X, no PC was going to reach it at its current price point.

We're never going back to the time where a console would be stronger than the strongest PC for its first 1-2 years, but it's great seeing them be a good pound-for-pound value again.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox One X is for people who have been convinced that they need to play games in 4K. The reality is that most people still don't have a 4K television, they're fine with 1080p, and they would barely notice the difference between the two. Honestly, most of the people who only own consoles don't even care about 30fps vs. 60fps, yet here is Microsoft marketing this latest console on tech specs and buzzwords.

Add on the fact that the Xbox One X won't be running most games in true 2160p, and the ones that actually do will be running at 30fps with huge graphical downgrades.

The PC is just an entirely different machine for a different demographic. It's much more versatile in what you can do with it; you WILL get more use out of it in your daily life. You can upgrade any part whenever you want. You can sell your old parts and make money back. The physical dimensions of it can be as big or as small as you want.

On the gaming side of things... The games are cheaper, and you can buy them from whomever you want. Online multiplayer is free. Valve's Steam client backs up and synchonizes your saves across your all your PCs/Macs for free. You can literally run your games however you like; resolution, framerate, graphical effects, etc. can all be modified at your own liking.

Honestly, if you are the type of person who cares about framerates, resolution, anti-aliasing, etc. and having the biggest library of games to choose from, you're doing yourself a disservice by not taking a serious look at gaming on PC. Microsoft has already said that all their future exclusives are coming to PC, so even less reason to stay on Xbox consoles.

If you're absolutely against a PC and you really want a console, even then I wouldn't recommend the Xbox One X. A PS4 Pro has pretty much all the games you're going to want to play, it has all the great Sony/Japanese/indie exclusives, and it's $100 cheaper than the One X. Only reason to get a One X is if you already have all your digital games on Xbox.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This never works, why do people keep positing this? Joe Gamer doesn't have the luxury of buying 500k APUs to get a huge discount

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Let's put the ideia in reality...

+ $30 G4400
+ $60 Motherboard
+ $40 8GB RAM
+ $200 GTX 1600
+ $30 1TB HDD
+ $10 case
+ $20 Mouse & keyboard
+ $20 Power Supply

There is $90 to spare in something else... peharps some OS in promotion.

BTW costumer parts are way more expensive than retail parts... MS pays retail price... not consumer price.

You can even put a GTX 1070 you use the retail prices.

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017
Would be interesting to see what difference the upcoming zen based apu's make to the pricing comparisons, the bulk of the savings come from having a viable apu in the consoles afterall, I imagine if they had discreet cpu/gpus they would cost alot more.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's put the ideia in reality...

+ $30 G4400
+ $60 Motherboard
+ $40 8GB RAM
+ $200 GTX 1600
+ $30 1TB HDD
+ $10 case
+ $20 Mouse & keyboard
+ $20 Power Supply

There is $90 to spare in something else... peharps some OS in promotion.

BTW costumer parts are way more expensive than retail parts... MS pays retail price... not consumer price.

You can even put a GTX 1070 you use the retail prices.

I mean yeah, I suppose you can "build" a $410 PC if you just use make-believe prices that don't actually exist.

GTX 1060 isn't as powerful as the XB1X's GPU.

Kildrek

Oct 25, 2017
Not when you need and OS, Keyboard, Monitor, Multi-function mouse, Headphones, mousepad, windows 10, Broadband internet, speakers....

It's never gonna be possible to build a PC for cheap.

Gonna need about 2k for an actually good 4k tv, so I can def build you a kick ass PC with all those peripherals for less.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
It's not the most basic cpu - you could use a 4 or 6 core Piledriver instead of an 8-core.
Ok, this is something I argue with my brother about a lot (not argue really, but more talk about with heightened intensity). If you make that point, which I accept, sure I could go out and buy some super shit cpu and have a pc that performs on par with or somewhat better than a console. Why would I want to do that? If one of the main benefits of a pc is improved performance, then why would I spend money on getting a totally gimped pc when I could spend (likely) less money on a console that will perform to the same-ish degree?

This is an argument I have often had with myself. Being a graduate student and not exactly having a whole lot of extra money, I find it hard to justify going for a somewhat more expensive pc that would be crappy by pc standards. If I wanted to game on pc, I would want to do so with a pc that has tangible benefits in terms of performance over a console.

That is why I think these comparisons are only interesting in an academic sense. For me, console and pc (done properly) are just two vastly different levels of initial buy in price and trying to make a pc that is equivalent to console specs kind of kills the entire reason I would want a pc.

Oct 25, 2017
GTX 1060 isn't as powerful as the XB1X's GPU.

Yes it is. The GTX 1060 and the RX 480/580 trade blows. They're roughly equivalent.

Ok, this is something I argue with my brother about a lot (not argue really, but more talk about with heightened intensity). If you make that point, which I accept, sure I could go out and buy some super shit cpu and have a pc that performs on par with or somewhat better than a console. Why would I want to do that? If one of the main benefits of a pc is improved performance, then why would I spend money on getting a totally gimped pc when I could spend (likely) less money on a console that will perform to the same-ish degree?

This is an argument I have often had with myself. Being a graduate student and not exactly having a whole lot of extra money, I find it hard to justify going for a somewhat more expensive pc that would be crappy by pc standards. If I wanted to game on pc, I would want to do so with a pc that has tangible benefits in terms of performance over a console.

That is why I think these comparisons are only interesting in an academic sense. For me, console and pc (done properly) are just two vastly different levels of initial buy in price and trying to make a pc that is equivalent to console specs kind of kills the entire reason I would want a pc.

You don't need a high end PC to find reasons to prefer PC. Improved performance is just one of many.