• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, this is something I argue with my brother about a lot (not argue really, but more talk about with heightened intensity). If you make that point, which I accept, sure I could go out and buy some super shit cpu and have a pc that performs on par with or somewhat better than a console. Why would I want to do that? If one of the main benefits of a pc is improved performance, then why would I spend money on getting a totally gimped pc when I could spend (likely) less money on a console that will perform to the same-ish degree?
This isn't about what i personally would recommend, but what you can get for the same price.
Ofc i personally wouldn't recommend to spent the exact amount of console X, but that's the question of this thread.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Let's put the ideia in reality...

+ $30 G4400
+ $60 Motherboard
+ $40 8GB RAM
+ $200 GTX 1600
+ $30 1TB HDD
+ $10 case
+ $20 Mouse & keyboard
+ $20 Power Supply

There is $90 to spare in something else... peharps some OS in promotion.

BTW costumer parts are way more expensive than retail parts... MS pays retail price... not consumer price.

You can even put a GTX 1070 you use the retail prices.
Steaks must cost like 50 cents where you live

Beef Stallmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am a console person; I absolutively DETEST Windows PC, steam, 'fans', you name it. Having said that; PC can certainly be cheaper than console, especially with a 500 dollar budget. I would never primarily use a PC because I have a medical condition which prevents me from using Windows, Google Android and other products with similar QA (or lack thereof). Earlier this year I built a PC to have 4K 60fps 10bit H265 video capabilities for cheap (Intel NUC 6 something, 129 dollar, had some DDR3L laying around, and had a Samsung EVO 830 laying around as well. Then I looked on eBay at Windows 7 laptops, got a high resolution picture of the Windows sticker, copied the code, and now I have a free official windows), but using it is a joke, icons sometimes don't follow my UI scaling settings, a lot of programs look like windows 95, and are extremely small, and that's not even the worst parts. ANYWAY:

Yeah 500 dollar gets you something at least equivalent to Xbox One X, power wise, noise, case, easy of use, forget about it.
It's much, much, much better value if you only into multiplatform games (seeing how there is not a single game after 2014 exclusive to xbox).

+Every single game has a '4K' patch
+Even with cheap CPU's you get the ability to do 60fps
+Free Online, even if the user base is crappy
+Tweak your settings if you get bored by the lack of exclusives

-The 500 dollar build is going look like sh*t compared to the slick Xbox One X
-Windows is the worst possible OS
-Lots of issues potentially
-Having to wait years for GTA or RDR to come out

So while I hate MS Windows PC, I would still go with it if my choice was between Xbox console, or Windows PC. PC is cheaper and has more advantages!

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Not true. Most gaming PCs are built at budget price points. High-end $1500 PCs are extremely niche. Here's the top GPUs used on Steam over the month of October 2017:
http:///S18c.png
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Every single one of them is slower than the GPU that powers the XB1X.

I think you need to re-read my posts. Of course high-end, gaming PC's are niche. How could they not be? I never said they made up the majority of the market. What I said was that people who buy/build PC's in and around the XB1X/PS4Pro price point are, by definition, the more casual crowd. The majority of people play games on the PC they already have, versus building a PC from the ground up specifically for gaming. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the GPUs listed above aren't part of custom builds, but have been installed into existing retail PC's.

It always impresses me how far out of touch people are on these forums with why PC gaming is actually as popular as it is, it's not a dig at you in particular, it's common among certain communities. It's just very wrong. The huge majority of the market is not the high end stuff we see here, it's popular for a whole host of reasons that have very little to do with the power available to the platform.

Totally agree. See above. Not really sure what it was in my quoted post that would make people think I meant otherwise.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Took your list and changed some things. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KQyQXH

Added in 2x4GB DDR4 for dual-channel, got a less-expensive and fully-modular PSU since 620w is overkill, and changed the case. People could definitely keep the 1x8GB stick of DDR4 if they want to add another stick later.

I wanted to keep the PC open to an upgrade down the line, your choices are indeed better for immediate performance results. It seems completely feasible to build a PC that perfors a bit better than an Xbox One X for less than $600. Not bad at all.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This build isn't well made. I know they put a blu ray drive here to match Xbox One but it makes zero sense to do that. You cant make these devices match each others feature wise. So you need to stay strictly on processing power.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean yeah, I suppose you can "build" a $410 PC if you just use make-believe prices that don't actually exist.

GTX 1060 isn't as powerful as the XB1X's GPU.

Yeah, a GTX 1060 probably doesn't run games as close to 4K 30FPS as the Xbox One X. But with this card you can definitely get 60 FPS on most games lowering the resolution to 1080p and dropping a few settings. If it's performance and gameplay you're looking for, building a budget gaming PC is the way to go.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
You can get 8GB with $50 and near $40 with discounts.
Let's see what the lowest prices for 8GB of DDR4 are on PCPartPicker:
Code:
AMD R7 Performance     DDR4-2400    288-pin DIMM    15    1x8GB    8GB    $56.99
Patriot Viper Elite    DDR4-3000    288-pin DIMM    16    2x4GB    8GB    $59.99
Patriot Viper 4        DDR4-2400    288-pin DIMM    15    1x8GB    8GB    $69.99
Patriot Viper Elite    DDR4-2133    288-pin DIMM    14    1x8GB    8GB    $69.99

The AMD one is the cheapest, but it's out of stock on Amazon, and apparently isn't carried anywhere else.

Let's see about GPUs now:
Code:
Gigabyte GV-N1060IXOC-3GD    Mini ITX OC       GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $199.99
EVGA 03G-P4-6162                             SC GAMING      GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $199.99
EVGA 03G-P4-6160-KR                       GAMING            GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $204.98
Zotac ZT-P10610A-10L                         Mini                   GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $209.27
Gigabyte GV-N1060WF2OC-3GD          Windforce OC    GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $209.44
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GT OC           GT OC              GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $209.98
Asus DUAL-GTX1060-O3G                   Dual                  GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $215.88
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3G OCV1         OCV1               GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $217.76
MSI GTX 1060 AERO ITX 3G                 OC                   GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $219.99
PNY VCGGTX10603PB                                                GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $219.99
Gigabyte GV-N1060G1 GAMING-3GD    G1 Gaming       GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $234.98
MSI GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 3G OCV1    ARMOR    GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $239.99
EVGA 03G-P4-6367                          FTW+ GAMING    GeForce GTX 1060 3GB    $254.89

Okay, you can get a GTX 1060 for $200... but it's only got 3GB, and with PC games today using lots of textures, 3GB is not an amount of RAM I would recommend to anyone, unless they're willing to replace the GPU in a year or do a lot of tweaking on a per game basis.

Maybe you know a site or store that can get you better prices, but most people don't.

JomanC137

Oct 27, 2017
Building side by side against an X1X totally misses the point, sure you might achieve it like those builds up, but if I was going to spend money on a PC I would future proof a little bit and spend extra money, not build with a Pentium or a cheap case, the PC equivalent should rightfully be $200 more as the cost of software, online gaming and upgradeable hardware on PC quickly tips the cost scale in it's favor, and it's the reason the 1X is cheaper, because of a price subsidized by software prices.
Nevertheless, purely discussing hardware, it really is great value for the money, not excellent because of the CPU, but it's certainly close to PS3 release era level.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The Xbox one x is a fine peace of hardware. Even as a PC gamer I can accept that. It gets you very very nice looking games for s good price.

But here in Germany most people will happily spend 300€-500€ more and build themselves a equal or better performing gaming PC. You can do so much more with that PC.... its worth the investment for most people

Tyroy

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if you take this at face value it seems pc is way worse but paid online + lack of steam sales it can become comparable in the long run. Probably was mentioned already though but the thread is long lol

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Folks who use Steam sales as some cost equalizer haven't been paying attention -- especially on the PSN side -- for a long time. Plus, for new releases, hopefully everyone is saving at least 20% on PC like physical console buyers are. Threads like these never end well, and if you're building a $500 PC, chances are gaming isn't your top priority anyway. From an experimental perspective, it's pretty interesting, but not all that practical.

Jaffo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rome, Italy
ic.tweakimg.net7oko6.png

That's minimum price/average price/popularity. It's insane how expensive RAM is at the moment. 200 euros for 16 GB (Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)
WHAT THE FUCK!
i bought it for less than half!

Oct 25, 2017
Did you factor in the neon lights? You need to factor in the neon lights!

Would be hard to ever build a PC to match a higher power console price just because they can get the parts so much cheaper from buying in bulk.

I am interested what the Xbox X could turn into. My out of left field prediction is the specs on the PS5 will be around or a little better than Xbox X which Microsoft will use as either their next gen console for a few years, lowering the price as parts become cheaper or turn the Xbox X into the "slim model" for next gen and release a Xbox XX (Super power edition) .

Don't really have a need to buy an Xbox, but I hope it succeeds. The better the competition between all parties the better games that come out to one up each other. Then everyone wins!

PS5 is going to be way better than 6TF and a Jaguar CPU. At least 10TF and a custom Ryzen CPU sounds reasonable.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
you can't make a XBX equivalent with $500 with new parts, but, you can build a decent gaming PC with $500, it will run some games at 60FPS that the XBX will be locked at 30.

g4600 $87
h110 $45
8GB DDR4 $70
1tb hd $40
corsair 450w $40
1060 3GB $200

obviously, the OS is missing (+KB/M and case, but you can go the cheap route with this), Linux is not realistic, you can buy windows OEM or used for cheap (like 7-8) I guess,
also maybe if you enter the win10 test program they still give you a free license?!

anyway, XBX will run games at 4K better, the 1060 3GB faces some vram issues (making you lower settings here and there), the XB also supports more 4K content (like buray and netflix) and comes with a good gamepad, but a PC is a PC, a console a console... you might need one more than the other, or prefer one over the other, still I feel confident that those specs will be fairly good on most games, better than standard PS4 for sure.

oh, if you go the used route, things can get more interesting I suppose, still it's a fairly useless exercise, better spend around $1000 on a PC if you want better than XBX on all games

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted by Xbox One X, but the lack of quality exclusives is really holding me back. I already own a PS4 Pro so moderately better looking multiplats just doesn't seem worth it. I think I'm going to wait for Volta and build new PC instead. 4K/60fps.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, im lost for words when people complain about its price, for the power and tech provided its more then reasonably priced. If you dont like the price then you should be ignored, we want as much as we can get, X seems to be giving us more bang for our buck.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

+ $30 G4400
+ $60 Motherboard
+ $40 8GB RAM
+ $200 GTX 1600
+ $30 1TB HDD
+ $10 case
+ $20 Mouse & keyboard
+ $20 Power Supply

BTW costumer parts are way more expensive than retail parts... MS pays retail price... not consumer price.

We aren't talking about what Microsoft spends to build it.
We are talking about what it would cost for a consumer to build a PC that can play games at the same level and specs as the Xbox One X

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It's clearly great value for money, but isn't it pretty much always the case that a new console can't be matched for the same price with a PC (at launch)? The CPUs are a real weak link in both this console and the Pro.

I still don't think it's going to be a huge success as a console. Certainly seems to be a better considered console than the Pro though.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017

+ $30 G4400
+ $60 Motherboard
+ $40 8GB RAM
+ $200 GTX 1600
+ $30 1TB HDD
+ $10 case
+ $20 Mouse & keyboard
+ $20 Power Supply

Where did you get these prices? I would like to know.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Sorry if I come off as a snob, elitist or an ass with this thread. We've seen this same thread, over and over. For what the X1X offers, we can not build a comparable PC for the same price. It can not be done. Even if you went with a GTX 1060/1050, the processor would be at least $100-150 for a good one. Add in the harddrive, mobo and memory.

+ $30 G4400
+ $60 Motherboard
+ $40 8GB RAM
+ $200 GTX 1600
+ $30 1TB HDD
+ $10 case
+ $20 Mouse & keyboard
+ $20 Power Supply

Where the heck did you get these prices? A 1TB for $30? 8GB of Ram for $40? What? A G4400 is above $47-50 on PC partpicker. The cheapest LGA1151 mobo is $80. GTX 1060's are still over $200.

Oct 29, 2017
I am a console gamer that even gave PC gaming a chance for a while . I never really liked it but can definitely see why a person would rather build a rig rather than buy a Xbox X . I do think for the price it is a pretty good deal

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a GTX 1060 probably doesn't run games as close to 4K 30FPS as the Xbox One X. But with this card you can definitely get 60 FPS on most games lowering the resolution to 1080p and dropping a few settings. If it's performance and gameplay you're looking for, building a budget gaming PC is the way to go.
You could probably hit 4k with games that take advantage of resolution scaling though.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
These comparisons are fun. There are huge difference s between using a PC and a console tho so it's jonly a narrow view to compare just the price and performance dimensions like this. I love both PC and console and I find the owning and operating experiences to be a world apart. I would never consider a comparison like this too seriously although it is legitimately informative.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, im lost for words when people complain about its price, for the power and tech provided its more then reasonably priced. If you dont like the price then you should be ignored, we want as much as we can get, X seems to be giving us more bang for our buck.

I think the complaints about the price are logical. I don't think anyone ever seriously thought that Microsoft is overcharging customers for the console, we all knew that the goal was to cram as much power as possible within a certain budget. Consoles are always a "good deal" in that regard since their manufacturers are interested in locking you into their ecosystem where they can extract from you the profit that they lost from the initial hardware sale and much more than that. The PC industry uses the traditional sales model of the profit being made at the moment of the initial sale and that's why you need to spend a bit more money to build a PC that performs similarly to an Xbox. The important thing to note in such a comparison is that it only takes a bit more money to match the Xbox One X's performance, to the tune of $50-$150 dollars more depending on sales and where you live.

The discussion on XBX's price is based on the fact that games consoles are traditionally mass market devices and the market for them is incredibly price-conscious. Obviously Microsoft is trying a different play here, they're trying to sell this new device to hardcore console gamers who aren't as price-conscious as the rest of the market. So if you belong to the part of the market that is used to consoles being the cheapest way to enjoy high-definition gaming you will complain about the non mainstream-friendly $499 price tag. If you belong to the part of the market that is heavily invested in gaming you won't mind the additional expense for more power.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yea it's very impressive what they have put in this machine and the size of it for the price. I considered buying a xbox 1x but ended up building a pc instead. It cost around £800 or more and the 1x will most likely out perform it in 4k games. I knew my GPU I buy now wasn't going to be great for a 4tv, but I figure let it last till next year then buy whatever the next XX80 is then. That should give me proper 4k 60fps gaming. The problem is the PC game library is way better than the xbox, especially strategy games. No way the xbox runs them better than a ryzen 1600, or even gets them in the first place because of its CPU. Are there any benchmarks how it runs 1080p compared to similar PC hardware for games like tomb raider that have that option. With its large amount of ram, it just makes it better at higher resolutions than something like my GPU.