• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
There were a lot of sane people who predicted success. I'm not just saying this because I'm salty about having made bad predictions myself (don't think I made any predictions one way or the other) but I don't remember it being a foregone conclusion for most that those machines would fail.

The old "predict next gen success/failure" thread was legendary. Filled with people thinking Sony would fall on dire times this gen.

not saying those people didn't exist. But there are a lot of people that make decisions based on team loyalty and "whatever happened last time" rather than making a careful analysis.

Bottom line, a generation where MS was given every advantage in the world- stronger third party support, a vastly cheaper system, a year head start, first party titles that were on fire at the beginning of the gen, Kinect giving them a boost MID gen- resulted in a tie WW.

There was no realistic scenario where they were coming out tied or ahead of Sony a second time. Sony would have to be intentionally sabotaging themselves for that to happen.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Why is it a Sony exclusive?

Business reasons.

Marvel was unhappy with the sales of multiplatform titles that only achieved middling success.

Exclusive titles tend to recieve better tech support and perform better on the system, ending up in quality titles that receive higher scores and greater mindshare. They could have gotten that partnering with EITHER MS or Sony, but Sony's greater worldwide presence means better sales.

Not rocket science.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Spiderman is a case where MARVEL approached Sony to make a game, and Sony chose insomniac. Insomniac then said they wanted to make a spiderman game.

It is no NO WAY a first party Sony game. They don't own that property.

Why do you think Marvel went to Sony, and not Microsoft? Put on your thinking cap.

I don't know what this has to do with Xbox but I will bite anyway.

Marvel's Spider-Man is a first party Sony game. There's really no debate to be had about that.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
not saying those people didn't exist. But there are a lot of people that make decisions based on team loyalty and "whatever happened last time" rather than making a careful analysis.

Bottom line, a generation where MS was given every advantage in the world- stronger third party support, a vastly cheaper system, a year head start, first party titles that were on fire at the beginning of the gen, Kinect giving them a boost MID gen- resulted in a tie WW.

There was no realistic scenario where they were coming out tied or ahead of Sony a second time. Sony would have to be intentionally sabotaging themselves for that to happen.

I think you have pretty solid reasoning, and basically agree with you it's unlikely Microsoft can match Sony (though the ratio could be a bit more balanced).

But, I'm certainly not going to discount the potential for foot shooting or wild card factors!

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't know what this has to do with Xbox but I will bite anyway.

Marvel's Spider-Man is a first party Sony game. There's really no debate to be had about that.

It absolutely is not. and I've explained why. If Marvel wanted Spiderman 2 to be on Xbox, it would be.

I think you have pretty solid reasoning, and basically agree with you it's unlikely Microsoft can match Sony (though the ratio could be a bit more balanced).

But, I'm certainly not going to discount the potential for foot shooting or wild card factors!

as I said, I'm not discounting it either. I just said it would take a miracle- foot shooting, wild cards? those are miracles. not impossible, but extremely unlikely.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Business reasons.

Marvel was unhappy with the sales of multiplatform titles that only achieved middling success.

Exclusive titles tend to recieve better tech support and perform better on the system, ending up in quality titles that receive higher scores and greater mindshare. They could have gotten that partnering with EITHER MS or Sony, but Sony's greater worldwide presence means better sales.

Not rocket science.

The Avengers game will be multi-platform. Why did they choose a studio that's almost never happy with their game sales performance? Maybe it's not rocket science, but if that was the case then why isn't the whole Avengers exclusive to PS4.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

It wasn't "vastly cheaper" for long - firstly you keep ignoring the fact that the $499 20gb version existed. Secondly, it wasn't long before they released the cheaper revision without BC, and then the Slim and Super-Slim after that. The price gap was quickly reduced.

And you have also conveniently failed to mention the biggest PR disaster of last generation: RROD.

I'll reiterate that because of Japan I don't think Microsoft can win next gen WW, but there's certainly a possibility to win the West again like they did last generation. A possibility. The fact is that neither you nor I know anything at all about the plans and strategy for next gen yet from any of the platform holders. I wouldn't underestimate any of them based on past experience.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Kinda meaningless without knowing Xbox One sales.

Say Sony sold 18 million PS4s in 2017, and Microsoft sold 9 million Xbox Ones. The gap is 9 million consoles.

And in 2018, PS4 only saw 10 percent growth, while Xbox One saw 20 percent growth.

That's 19.8 million PS4s and 10.8 million Xbox Ones. The gap is still 9 million consoles.

This is so easy and still people don't get it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Let's be real. Barring a miracle it's going to be exactly like this one.

Nope. PlayStation is in great shape to be #1 in traditional console sales next gen however landscapes are changing.

• Streaming
  • Hybrid local/cloud compute options
  • Games are more scaleable
  • Forward/backwards compatibility
  • Growth of subscription services
  • Platforms being thought of as a service or an app rather than a piece of plastic
The size of the consumer base is growing. New markets will be more viable. Yesterday's results don't predict tomorrow because most of the AAA gamers of 5-10 years from now don't own either a PlayStation or Xbox right now. AAA gaming is in its infancy.

Next gen there will be more gamers who'll be gaming on both Xbox and PlayStation platforms than ever before and I don't think it'll be close. It'll come down to who can keep the gamer who has access to everything most engaged.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

and here I am, rolling my eyes at you.

Twitter posts are hardly authoritative.

Sony does NOT own the rights to spiderman. At all. They have film rights, it stops there. you want to find spidey on other systems LIKE ULTIMATE MARVEL VS CAPCOM WHICH WAS ON XBOX you can.

PS4 Spiderman was made by insomniac in partnership with sony under agreement from Marvel. THAT game isn't going anywhere so Sony can call it "first party" all it wants because it's not moving. But it Marvel wanted to put it on Xbox? They could have. they want to make the sequel multiplatform? They can.

If you're trying to argue otherwise, I'm clearly wasting my time on you.

OldeManWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Flyover Country

Sony does NOT own the rights to spiderman. At all. They have film rights, it stops there. you want to find spidey on other systems LIKE ULTIMATE MARVEL VS CAPCOM WHICH WAS ON XBOX you can.

PS4 Spiderman was made by insomniac in partnership with sony under agreement from Marvel. THAT game isn't going anywhere so Sony can call it "first party" all it wants because it's not moving. But it Marvel wanted to put it on Xbox? They could have. they want to make the sequel multiplatform? They can.

This is a bit, right?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

Marvel's Spider-Man is trademarked by Sony. They have the rights to do what they want with the sequel. You don't pour countless millions of dollars into something that you can't reap the benefits from past one game. They obviously have agreements in place regarding the future of the property. Sorry to say but you're not getting a sequel on Xbox because it's a 1st party SIE game.

edit: I apologise for talking about Spider-Man in an Xbox NPD thread. I have no idea how this topic even came about. :x

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This thread is about the Xbox One X. Not Spider-Man.

Let's get back on topic please.

Kerozinn

Banned
May 11, 2018
I don't really give a flying fuck about sales, what's more important to me is mindshare and the way the Xbox senior management team have revitalised the Xbox brand in general should be commended.

From hardware iterations like the S, the X and the Adaptive Controller - they've nailed it all.
From the services front like backwards compatibility, crossplay, refunds, gifting etc - they've nailed it all.
Then it's the games, there no denying that just two years ago first party was in trouble but with the acquisitions, team building and general hiring sprees all the studios are doing - they've nailed it all, probably.

The transition into next gen could have been horrendous but they have righted most of their wrongs and have now built up a lot of goodwill which should help them with mindshare when it comes to launching Scarlet.

Exciting times ahead no doubt! :)

they nailed it all but yet they in last place. i wonder why

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

[removed in compliance with mod request]

Back on topic, I could not care less about Xbox One X making more revenue. I'm 100% interested in what their next console will be given the popularity of both attempts at Xbox One are about in line with each other as very popular in the US but not so much worldwide and they have worldwide ambitions.

Last edited:

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018

Hard disagree. Gamers are too fickle. Likes and dislikes change too quickly, disloyal, lying, untrustworthy, simultaneously bold and cowardly, savage vultures who pay gobs of money every year to be the center of the universe they create through games, and we love the one's who love us best for it. Next gen is not promised to Sony. And they couldve lost this gen if not for the blunders of Microsoft in the beginning - they forgot who we were.

Last edited:

OldeManWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Flyover Country
Thanks Z.

It's awesome that the X is performing so well and that Xbox in general is seeing YOY growth.

That being said, the next year will be real interesting since Xbox sales numbers won't include a new console. I hope they keep growing (they've put in alot of work to be more appealing as a platform) but only time will tell.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Thanks Z.

It's awesome that the X is performing so well and that Xbox in general is seeing YOY growth.

That being said, the next year will be real interesting since Xbox sales numbers won't include a new console. I hope they keep growing (they've put in alot of work to be more appealing as a platform) but only time will tell.

Do we ever think that we hype up Xbox becoming a modern console that competes with Sony a lot? Outside of backwards compatibility, name changes, and day one exclusives on Game Pass, they're not that different of services offerings on these consoles at all. It's more about Implementation and I'm not sure either has a great implementation of many of their features.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I'm certain the backseat modding is appreciated.

You need to look up that definition, because that isn't what he was doing at all (which is why he wasn't warned/banned). It's obvious why it bothered you, though.

This news is nothing but great news for gamers and bodes insanely well for next gen, especially combined with everything else they're doing.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
You need to look up that definition, because that isn't what he was doing at all (which is why he wasn't warned/banned). It's obvious why it bothered you, though.

This news is nothing but great news for gamers and bodes insanely well for next gen, especially combined with everything else they're doing.
He literally did that assuming he knew what needed to be modded. If you want to tell why it's obvious don't be shy.

If they have mod issues they need to be private messages.

OldeManWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Flyover Country
Do we ever think that we hype up Xbox becoming a modern console that competes with Sony a lot? Outside of backwards compatibility, name changes, and day one exclusives on Game Pass, they're not that different of services offerings on these consoles at all. It's more about Implementation and I'm not sure either has a great implementation of many of their features.

I think that's fair, but IMO, where they started this gen vs where they are now -- it's a heck of a turnaround.
They are tops in services for a console & over the past 8 months or so are showing a renewed effort on solving their first party issues.
These with the push for cross-platform play and releasing things like the adaptive controller make their efforts quite praise-worthy.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Everybody gets it. It just hasn't got anything at all to do with the topic at hand, and is thinly veiled console warring.

When MS reports significant growth in Azure, analysts love it, and the stock market reacts accordingly, with MS stock doing pretty well.
Nobody goes "but -- but Amazon Web Services is still the market leader".

Growth is important. It sends a clear message to the MS leadership that there's significant scope in gaming. There's more likelihood for continued and improved investment and this benefits ALL gamers.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Good to hear as the X is the best console ever made in my humble opinion, it's an engineering masterpiece! It runs red dead 2 in native 4K all for £400!

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I think that's fair, but IMO, where they started this gen vs where they are now -- it's a heck of a turnaround.
They are tops in services for a console & over the past 8 months or so are showing a renewed effort on solving their first party issues.
These with the push for cross-platform play and releasing things like the adaptive controller make their efforts quite praise-worthy.

I think it's praise-worthy, but we also have to note this is good management and consultation 101 when managing a crisis. Not every company makes it so it is to be praised they did while also shifting management and style, but it's not a unique situation at all. We literally just saw it happen with PS3.

Again, I think the sales are good, but the note about being at 2015-2016 Xbox US levels is both good and interesting. They were still pace-adjusted ahead of the previous console generation then so revenue is clearly up from last year. But they also never gave numbers so it could've still been ahead due to the moments.

I just don't want us to overplay what's happening. Much like I think it's a lot to say PlayStation is arrogant for leaving E3.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really give a flying fuck about sales, what's more important to me is mindshare and the way the Xbox senior management team have revitalised the Xbox brand in general should be commended.

From hardware iterations like the S, the X and the Adaptive Controller - they've nailed it all.
From the services front like backwards compatibility, crossplay, refunds, gifting etc - they've nailed it all.
Then it's the games, there no denying that just two years ago first party was in trouble but with the acquisitions, team building and general hiring sprees all the studios are doing - they've nailed it all, probably.

The transition into next gen could have been horrendous but they have righted most of their wrongs and have now built up a lot of goodwill which should help them with mindshare when it comes to launching Scarlet.

Exciting times ahead no doubt! :)
Agreed...exciting times ahead indeed.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It wasn't "vastly cheaper" for long - firstly you keep ignoring the fact that the $499 20gb version existed. Secondly, it wasn't long before they released the cheaper revision without BC, and then the Slim and Super-Slim after that. The price gap was quickly reduced.

And you have also conveniently failed to mention the biggest PR disaster of last generation: RROD.

I'll reiterate that because of Japan I don't think Microsoft can win next gen WW, but there's certainly a possibility to win the West again like they did last generation. A possibility. The fact is that neither you nor I know anything at all about the plans and strategy for next gen yet from any of the platform holders. I wouldn't underestimate any of them based on past experience.
Microsoft did win the west when west means US/UK specifically. They didn´t win continental Europe and the possibility of that to happen in the near future is exactly zero.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So are 2018 Xbox One sales expected or predicted to top 2015/2016 numbers, or still fall short?

Given some of the aggressive deals and pricing with the Xbox of late, plus the popularity of the One X, I can totally see 2018's numbers being among the strongest in its lifetime.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, a positive Xbox thread, not sure why I expected a decent conversation.

Anyhow, the Xbox One X is a really sleek machine, I don't think I was this amazed with a console since the PS1 dropped with its amazing (at the time) 3D games. Happy know it's selling.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty crazy a few years back there was rumors Microsoft would sell the Xbox brand, and now the brand seems to be doing well. Next gen should be fun.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah dude it's an incredible console. I've had it for 8mo and it still blows my mind sometimes what that thing can do. I started Shadow of the Tomb Raider tonight and my jaw hit the floor a couple times.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Microsoft did win the west when west means US/UK specifically. They didn´t win continental Europe and the possibility of that to happen in the near future is exactly zero.
No. 360 outsold the PS3 in the West with a 9m lead. The gap in continental Europe wasn't enough to change that fact. It didn't need to outsell PS3 in every single country to achieve that lead in the West as a whole.

Obviously Wii crushed both of them in the West regardless.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
I started last generation preferring the 360 and ended preferring the PS3. I started this gen preferring PS4, overwhelmingly, and now that I have a 4K tv, an X (Scorpio, even - glad I kept that preorder), together with Game Pass - I'm leaning back towards MS.

Sony has great games but having bought a day one PS4 Pro that is miserable to play at low volume, and a day one PS VR unit - that doesn't pass HDR - I'm a little perturbed at Sony on the hardware front. The X is far and away the most impressive piece of console hardware I've ever owned. I swear allegiance to no one - just try for my money and you'll probably get it. MS is actually trying again and that's very exciting to me.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Kinda meaningless without knowing Xbox One sales.

Say Sony sold 18 million PS4s in 2017, and Microsoft sold 9 million Xbox Ones. The gap is 9 million consoles.

And in 2018, PS4 only saw 10 percent growth, while Xbox One saw 20 percent growth.

That's 19.8 million PS4s and 10.8 million Xbox Ones. The gap is still 9 million consoles.

Pretty much.
The article itself states that 2017 was their worst year (ever?) . The only way was possible was up with the One X's release.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's to be expected. Out the gate Xbox One wasnt well received and had poor sales in relation to PS4. Even with the negative press and the 180 on game ownership the console was pretty shit, laggy UI, slow installs, and a lack of quality games. There's still a lack of quality games but they've made strides with stuff like Games Pass and a better console in the One X meaning it's your go to for multi platform if you have that choice.

The big thing next time round is releasing a base console that is at least on par with PlayStation 5 and in conjunction with that some stellar 1st party games. That's how they'll turn it round in NA and the UK, otherwise it'll be a similar story.