• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch is a Blizzard game so it's kibda an exception. It's also a shooter which really helps.

Fortnite is only as popular as it is because it's free to play and riding on the hype of the genre and lack of PUBG on console.

They have to 'pick up' the ball before they can drop it. I get that you like the game and that's fine but be realistic and there no metric that points to SOT being a big title. In fact it's been delayed many times, which gives me the impression of troubled development.
Just goes to show there are people on Xbox who play games other than military shooters.
I think it had one delay from "sometime 2017" to "early 2018." Development was greenlit in November 2014, so we're just at 3 years of development time now with probably 3-6 more months to go. That seems like a pretty reasonable amount of dev time for a big game. We've seen many games this generation from Microsoft and Sony get delayed at least once with various results, so I wouldn't use a single delay as an indication of its development status.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I figured the early hardcores would buy it no matter the price (myself included)
Honestly MS is smart to make it expensive at launch. It will drop by $100 by this time next year IMO

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017

It was supply constrained (speaking both from experience and based on Sony's info).

"It is way ahead of our expectations," adds Sony global sales chief Jim Ryan. "As with PSVR, and I suppose in forecasting these things we haven't done a very good job, the product is in desperately short supply. So that's one-in-five under severe constraint."

http://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/

I'm not from the UK, but speaking from experience here in Southeast Asia, the reservations for the Pro were backed up all the way until Q2 2017. It was nearly impossible to get them during the holidays, and in Q1 2017.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Very well done Microsoft!

Never really owned a Xbox console, I've been mainly Nintendo and Sony.

This Xbox one x has my attention though. Are there any must have games for this system? Exclusives worth getting this thing for?

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
It's good to see that there's a demonstrably healthy appetite for powerful consoles. It's another factor that will influence the design of the PS5. Conversely, if Xbox One X sold terribly and Switch was achieving global domination, both Sony and MS might have looked to reduce emphasis on GPU firepower in their next consoles.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
It's good to see that there's a demonstrably healthy appetite for powerful consoles. It's another factor that will influence the design of the PS5. Conversely, if Xbox One X sold terribly and Switch was achieving global domination, both Sony and MS might have looked to reduce emphasis on GPU firepower in their next consoles.
I don't think so, rather they would emphasise the price more than anything, even if it means taking their time to get the best possible hardware at an affordable price.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This Xbox one x has my attention though. Are there any must have games for this system? Exclusives worth getting this thing for?

Not really, XBox exclusives are generally weak apart from Sunset Overdrive and Ori imo.

Still if you need a Console to play the best multis until next gen it's a great idea.

It's a great piece of hardware for the price.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/consoles/xbox-one-x-outsells-ps4-pro-in-first-week
Dorian Bloch, business group director, at the market research company, told MCV exclusively that Xbox One X unit sales last week amounted to the 10th best UK console launch of all time, by comparison the PS4 Pro ranks 20th.

Xbox One as a category was boosted to its fourth biggest week to date, in unit terms. It was outdone by the week of the original console's launch and the 2014 and 2015's Black Friday events.

That piece of information shows that while Microsoft stated that pre-orders of the new console outstripped that of the original Xbox One console, the number of units it sold in the UK was less when launch day rolled around.

Rather than reflecting upon the success or popularity of the new One X hardware, it most likely shows that Microsoft was unable to get sufficient units of its new device onto shelves - or rather straight into consumer hands, as there was minimal, if any, stock available to buy that hadn't already been pre-ordered - as we reported previously. Whether that translates into an ongoing stock shortage as we move through the key Christmas season remains to be seen, but looks likely.

In terms of proportions, the Xbox One X accounted for 66 per cent of Xbox One console units sold that week, and 45 per cent of all home consoles. That compares favourably to 64 per cent and 37 per cent for the PS4 Pro's launch week.

In terms of revenue the One X was on a par with the launch of the Xbox 360, and below only the PS4, PS3 and Xbox One in the all-time rankings for week one revenue generation. With the latter two providing a better comparison as they also had over £400 average price points at launch.

Microsoft UK should be very happy with the success of the launch, likely stock shortages aside, in one of its key territories for the brand. It looks as though the One X's superior hardware and heavier marketing campaign has done the job required, which is not only moving the initial allocation but hopefully creating a desire for forthcoming shipments.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

here are the actual numbers doing the math if someone is interested

2016 Numbers:
Week 44
Ps4: 25k
Xb1: 29k

Week 45
all consoles: 145.5k
Ps4 Pro: 50k
Ps4: 27k
Xb1: 54k
other: 15.5k

2017 Numbers:
Week 45
all home consoles: 178k
Xb1 X: 80k
Xb1 S: 41k

more at the link:
http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/consoles/xbox-one-x-outsells-ps4-pro-in-first-week

source for 2016 data:
http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/publishing/ps4-console-sales-up-204-following-pro-launch

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox One Black Friday 2014 was previously 108K http://www./forum/showpost.php?p=187678986&postcount=236

The One X launch week should be #3

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
One X is a really good product for the premium console market. You get 4k blu ray, 4k games, 4k streaming, more ram for better textures and it's faster ram to boot, better frame rate and res for BC titles, variable refresh rate support, and it comes in a very quiet package that looks nice. That's an extremely good value.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

From the quote you linked:
I can't tell you whether that's enough, but I remember we had a similar conversation about Playstation VR, and I couldn't answer that one either.

PSVR was also supply constraint, and as someone living in the UK, I can tell you the Pro was very hard to find until the new year.

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One Black Friday 2014 was previously 108K http://www./forum/showpost.php?p=187678986&postcount=236

The One X launch week should be #3

It is always hard with those up weighted figures to be right over all those years. And all our numbers are just the best possible estimates. The difference is just a little more than 10k.
One example is the MCVUK articles from 2016 and this year. 2016 is stating Ps4 Pro is 65% of total Ps4 sales, while this year is 64%. The 2016 article has Xbox One + Ps4 marketshare at 90% and 10% for others resulting in a total of 145k units. The 2017 article claims Ps4 Pro in 2016 was 37% of total consoles, that would result in 135k total units. Again a small 10k difference.
It could also be a typo in the article with Black Friday 2015 and 2016 instead of 2014 and 2015 being ahead of Xbox One X launch week.
Do we have numbers for Black Friday 2016 in the UK?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
It is always hard with those up weighted figures to be right over all those years. And all our numbers are just the best possible estimates. The difference is just a little more than 10k.
One example is the MCVUK articles from 2016 and this year. 2016 is stating Ps4 Pro is 65% of total Ps4 sales, while this year is 64%. The 2016 article has Xbox One + Ps4 marketshare at 90% and 10% for others resulting in a total of 145k units. The 2017 article claims Ps4 Pro in 2016 was 37% of total consoles, that would result in 135k total units. Again a small 10k difference.
It could also be a typo in the article with Black Friday 2015 and 2016 instead of 2014 and 2015 being ahead of Xbox One X launch week.
Do we have numbers for Black Friday 2016 in the UK?
2016 was ~92K http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-and-moon-is-nintendos-biggest-ever-uk-launch

4th week could also be using non weighted results. 67K for One X as reported would mean 102K, below the 109K week.

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
here are the actual numbers doing the math if someone is interested

2016 Numbers:
Week 44
Ps4: 25k
Xb1: 29k

Week 45
all consoles: 145.5k
Ps4 Pro: 50k
Ps4: 27k
Xb1: 54k
other: 15.5k

2017 Numbers:
Week 45
all home consoles: 178k
Xb1 X: 80k
Xb1 S: 41k

more at the link:

source for 2016 data:
http://www.mcvuk.com/articles/publishing/ps4-console-sales-up-204-following-pro-launch

This is probably new thread worthy, also I couldn't find the thread for software, and those stats were released yesterday, was one ever made?

Soony Xbone Uhh

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2016 was ~92K http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-and-moon-is-nintendos-biggest-ever-uk-launch

4th week could also be using non weighted results. 67K for One X as reported would mean 102K, below the 109K week.
That makes sense. How big would've been 2014 up weighted?

This is probably new thread worthy, also I couldn't find the thread for software, and those stats were released yesterday, was one ever made?
I don't think so. We have this topic and also the regular Pal Charts topic.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pal-charts-week-45-2017.5739/

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not answering the question. You don't need to pander to the low end hardware. It runs the game because it's compatible with the game because these consoles are glorified AMD notebook computers. Sure, it runs terribly but that doesn't matter. Game developers don't block their games from running on Jaguar-powered notebook computers just because the game's minimum requirement is an i5. Unless there's an actual instruction set missing or an API missing, the game will run.

Crysis 3 was one the most advanced games of 2013. It's still a benchmark. And it runs on a Pentium 4, which is far, far, far, far, far less powerful than an Xbox 360. Why should Pentium 4s not be allowed to boot Crysis 3? They meet the instruction set requirements. They don't meet the minimum CPU requirements of a dual core CPU, but the game will run. All modern games, no matter how ambitious, run on old CPUs so long as they have the right instruction sets. Crysis 3 was not "held back" by the fact it is compatible with a Pentium 4.

Again, this is an issue of console owners and PC owners having a very different ideology. I guess console owners probably do prefer the white lie that this new game couldn't run on older hardware. It helps them keep a sense of forward momentum.

edit: We just have to wait and see what approach Microsoft take. What they mean by all the vague hinting about this being the last console generation.

There comes a point where making a game work on less powerful hardware can't be done without compromising the design of the game. It just doesn't make any sense too.

https://www.polygon.com/2014/10/28/7086809/dying-light-ps3-xbox-360-canceled

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017

Never owned any Xbox system at all or just not an XB1?

Halo series (Master Chief collection for 1-4, and then 5)
Gears of War series (Gears of war 4 comes with digital download for 1-3 and judgement)
Forza series (Horizon 3 and 6/7 are standouts)
Sunset overdrive
Quantum break
Killer instinct

Those are just a start. Additionally with BC you can play tons of games on original Xbox and Xbox 360 that are enhanced to play on XB1X