• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Er is that on top of 1S, or do you think they're going to fall off a cliff? Would be something if total Xbox would be 2M.
Total Xbox 1M is a given, but I can't see X sell more than 600k.
2M in month would be damn good i think we could see maybe like a 1.2-1.4M depending on sales for the S as that will still be the majority of sales as its cheaper and will come with games.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely expect this to sell more than the Pro, considering it's much more marketed and a much bigger leap. Interested to see how it goes though.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Very solid start in the UK. Curious to see how the sales will develop in the coming weeks and months.

Sajko

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. I feel like its been hyped way more than PS4 Pro. And Xbox is usually doing well in UK if I recall correctly.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good start. Even though it is 499 bucks, Microsoft has done a better job of selling the mid-gen hardware refresh than Sony. PS4 Pro is a mess and still is. Though I don't think this will have an effect other than US and UK.

I think that if Sony didn't do a big marketing for the Pro is they didn't want to impact the sales of the PS4 which was already good. MS did the opposite, I wonder how the sales of the Xbox One S will be after the holidays, it is possible the sales of the S decreases and the Xbox One X accounts for 30 to 40% of Xbox One sales.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I want whatever you're smoking. Early adopters will form a large part of the core ownership, along with the pro. Those 149 XB1S (and PS4P) deals are going to shift by the pallet load this year. Mass market doesn't care about TFlops.

OT: very good start for MS, hope it sells well and does two things:

-Reminds Sony that the PS5 needs to be bang on-point, from a hardware perspective (Vega, pls), and
-Opens the door to MS and Sony not pushing their new consoles out at exactly the same time.

This release structure could show there's something for everyone, and it would stop the release dick-waving that happens on new console year.

I don't think a million could be far off. You already have the pre-orders out of the way which could be about half way to that value. There is a lot of positive buzz about it. There are tangible differences between the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X. If they could of got a wee bundle with it as well say Halo 5 as the cheap showpiece game would have sold a bit more. I know you get the Game Pass for a month but actually have a disc / download looks better.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yea i mean for PS5 pro.

lets see if they change approach of going cheaper more conservative upgrade.
I think the X shows people want the opposite, I know a lot of PS fans who got an X instead of the Pro because it was so lackluster when it came to actually upgrading games from PS4, essentially the jump was from 1080p to 1440p while on the X it was 720-900p to 1800-2160p

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
If it did super well in the US and dethroned Switch or PS4 as #1 for a month, then I would say kudos.
Exactly. I want to highlight a few things here:
1) No PR from Microsoft yet. If the first days in US/World were very successful don't you think PR would answer somehow by now?
2) PS4 Pro stock was a total disaster for almost half a year. I've never bought mine because after I've sold my SLR (for 500 bucks) I couldn't find any Pros in stock. It was cold April 2017 in Russia. Go figure.
3) PR push behind X was very strong. So strong that they've actually eliminated XO S from the PR field. S is nonexistent in MS ads campaign this year.

That being said, I fully expect X to do well during the launch month, but I also predict that the numbers will fall off a cliff after the initial launch.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think that if Sony didn't do a big marketing for the Pro is they didn't want to impact the sales of the PS4 which was already good. MS did the opposite, I wonder how the sales of the Xbox One S will be after the holidays, it is possible the sales of the S decreases and the Xbox One X accounts for 30 to 40% of Xbox One sales.
thats a possibility. PS4 pro is 20% of ps4 consoles sold so i could easily see X being 35% of x1 consoles sold.

Oct 29, 2017
This is honestly not that impressive, it will drop off a cliff in sales anyway once it has been sold to the Xbox core audience of 2 million. Frankly speaking, Xbox gamers are starved for TFLOPS and there was a huge drought going on in the past three years so it had nothing to compete with.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think the X shows people want the opposite, I know a lot of PS fans who got an X instead of the Pro because it was so lackluster when it came to actually upgrading games from PS4, essentially the jump was from 1080p to 1440p while on the X it was 720-900p to 1800-2160p
It's way too early for this, it's not like the X is setting the charts on fire, selling more than the pro at launch was a given, how it will perform after a few months will be what matters.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Good start and seems MS are doing a great job at keeping up with supply too, if the Switch and Pro are anything to go by.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Pretty good numbers that (propably) show us that the existing owners of xbox one are thirsty for this console.

Is there a way to know if the buyers of One X is new customers to micosoft ecosystem or they just replace their old xbox with the new one?

Ans something more, we know if this box is profitable or not at this price for MS ?

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Respectable number, I didn't expect that. But I guess buying the X is much cheaper than building a good gaming PC (even if you have to pay for multiplayer).

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yea totally. so hopefully they change their approach of going cheap and conservative for the premium version.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's way too early for this, it's not like the X is setting the charts on fire, selling more than the pro at launch was a given, how it will perform after a few months will be what matters.
talking everything from reveal/leaks to launch. People seemed way more interested and excited about it even when the Pro/Neo was leaked and announced when it was only a silhouette and a project name. After showing it everything has been about the X and how it stacks to Pro and more specifically high end PC's. Definitely way more of that than when Pro was coming out, of course you had your DF videos and articles on IGN but imo much less than the X.

OP
OP
ZhugeEX

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Forza 7 saw a 50% increase in packaged software sales this week due to the Xbox One X launch.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good start for One X. Now give me a compelling reason to upgrade, Microsoft

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Great start, as I expected the core base of fans is really going for it right out of the gate.

Especially interesting to compare this to Switch, as Switch is a new console launching with a mainline Zelda title while the mid-gen refresh here has no real launch game. Also tells me supply is healthy. Good on Microsoft to meet demand!

While true it's also important to point at that the Switch was very much supply limited at launch as was the PS4 Pro in the offset whereas, unless I'm mistaken, it appears that XB1X units are still available for purchase.

With the platform being so heavily targeted at the hardcore gaming consumer it was always going to launch well the real test will be seeing if it can sustain healthy demand throughout its first 6 months on the market or if the platforms demand curve will compare favorably to the XB1S' steep decline in the same period.

Edit: for what it's worth I'm expecting similar results in the US. I'm expecting to see around ~550k XB1X first month sell through in US perhaps a bit more.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure why people are surprised. MS clearly nailed the timing and price point. 4K TVs in the UK are becoming more and more prevalent. There has been 2 years worth of sales of the premium 4K/HDR market and we've got a fairly large premium AV market in the UK. The UHD blu ray player is a big boon too....not worldwide but in the UK that is a big selling point for the X. Not so much with the hardcore AV crowd but with those swept up behind them buying these 4K screens who won't invest a couple of hundred in a dedicated player. I know of a couple of such people buying the X to replace their PS4 because they can play some games but mainly use the UHD functionality.

There was a thirst for the X, hype for the X. The Pro just happened. And there was very little chatter about it.

Sure different markets elsewhere have different experiences. But in the UK (and I assume US) the X definitely had more of a hold on enthusiasts.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps in 6 months salesERA can have a look at if XOX sales replaced the lost sales since it was announced and the XOS launch was forgotten. I've always found last years E3 announcement a strange one - wonder if it ends up being positive (XOX sales retrospectively cover those lost sales say by comparing mom pre-announcement) or not.

ps3ud0 8)

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like real nice tech

Not surprised to see others think that

Some juicy games and there might be some momentum.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people are surprised. MS clearly nailed the timing and price point. 4K TVs in the UK are becoming more and more prevalent. There has been 2 years worth of sales of the premium 4K/HDR market and we've got a fairly large premium AV market in the UK. The UHD blu ray player is a big boon too....not worldwide but in the UK that is a big selling point for the X. Not so much with the hardcore AV crowd but with those swept up behind them buying these 4K screens who won't invest a couple of hundred in a dedicated player. I know of a couple of such people buying the X to replace their PS4 because they can play some games but mainly use the UHD functionality.

There was a thirst for the X, hype for the X. The Pro just happened. And there was very little chatter about it.

Sure different markets elsewhere have different experiences. But in the UK (and I assume US) the X definitely had more of a hold on enthusiasts.
Not surprise people picked it up for the UHD but why not just get the S in that case lol.

I remember a couple friends back in the day only had a PS3 for the bluray, oh how the times have changed.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
That's by far a better launch than i expected.

It sold about the same as the 360 did as well if i remember correctly? Correct me if wrong.

I expect worse legs than the PRO, just because of the price, but that's still good.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
What does this mean?

None of these figures are exact, they are always estimations carried out by firms. There must be some logic that says that there are retailers or methods of sales that aren't tracked, so the calculations are adjusted by the firm that does it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not bad numbers for the X, seen a lot of adverts on TV these past few weeks, MS are pushing the X a lot more than Sony did with the Pro at launch, so not entirely surprising it sold a bit more, also didn't Sony have a Pro shortage for a while, I wonder if MS have more X's ready for the next few months, so I guess the real question now is, how will it sell in the coming weeks and months, once the early adopters are out the way ?

Oct 29, 2017
Good result. Very happy with mine. I'm glad that people who only game on Xbox have the opportunity to finally experience games like the Pro has been outputting, especially considering the PS4 base was already more powerful.

I guess it's a natural result of 4K TVs being so prevalent now, just wasn't something that was necessary at the start of the Gen. Crazy to think that the original Xbox runs a heap of games sub-1080p, that alone makes it obvious to me that we needed a refresh and I'm glad to see consumers agreeing.