• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft went great lengths with this machine.
To show how its advantages non enhanced games, how great games can look enhanced, 4K bluray player, and the wonders for backwards compatibility.

They deserve success on this machine. It's a great jump and I fell maybe we will see a closer S/X split as more people go for the superior hardware, something which the pro has always struggled to show more

VirtuaRacer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the numbers would be far higher. Especially after Microsoft calling the Xbox One X the fastest selling Xbox colsole ever.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Its a good start.

If they gonna it back it up with games in the future the sale numbers gonna continue to do great at a good pace.

But without them i can see them going down quickly after launch.

Its not easy to sell a $500 console outside of the hardcore graphics gamers at a time the generation is going to start to reach its climax and soon after the end.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
better hardware doesn't guarantee you market share. Xbx launched after PS2 with better hardware and it failed miserably . PS3 launched a year after xbox and it almost failed.they will break this pattern of being one year behind i m sure.
Is comparing the PS2 really fair though? It was selling mostly because of its novelty features. And PS3 was barely more powerful than the X360 barring the CPU. In fact, it was quite the opposite. The better hardware did not translate to better multiplats at all. X360 was the preferred platform for multiplatform games because they looked and ran better for most of that gen.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
again weaker console was not their down fall. they launched a weaker console with DRM issues around it at higher price than their direct competitor. so being under powered was only some part of a bigger reason why they failed. PS2 murdered the competition being the weakest console on the market. wii outsold the HD twin as well being the weakest console in that gen. So not everything is about the power.

I know that, everyone knows that, but still ,MS is all about more power

I always thought that have they delayed X1 launch and released it a year or so later their loss wouldn't be as big as now.

Anyway, back to topic:)

bod

Nov 1, 2017
Congrats on the launch. Also the downplaying of the success by certain posters is quite amusing.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot this was UK where sales are incredibly tiny to begin with. I guess 80k is alright for launch. I still do not think Xbox One X will change the tide and prevent PS4 from being #1 and Switch being #2 globally. I do not think there is much Microsoft can do from being #3.

80k is what the Switch did in the UK at launch (supply issues notwithstanding), your logic us illogical.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is comparing the PS2 really fair though? It was selling mostly because of its novelty features. And PS3 was barely more powerful than the X360 barring the CPU. In fact, it was quite the opposite. The better hardware did not translate to better multiplats at all. X360 was the preferred platform for multiplatform games because they looked and ran better for most of that gen.
yes i agree but it is not this black and white where the stronger console will come out on top or the weaker one comes out on top. the price matters, the games matter ,the marketing matters,their communication around the launch matters and so on. but history has shown the console that hits the market first usually keeps the lead for atleast the majority of the gen.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People want new stuff.... Big news... Hope Sony takes the hint and releases the PS5 sooner rather than later.
They took the hint and released Pro only a year ago!
I'm surprised some people are surprised. I thought Microsoft did a fairly decent job with the unveil, marketing, and building up hype.

This suggests that there will be a rather big drop off next week. Majority of project scorpio buyers were probably previous xbox owners.

However on the flip side, the console seems to be received rather well, strong word of mouth might kickstart some small momentum for holiday shoppers and new 4k tv owners.

Oh there will definitely be a big drop off at that price point. But word of mouth is very positive, and I think Microsoft was clearly being ambitious with the pricing to profit nicely out of early adopters (like me) - I'd expect it will drop quickly in the New Year, we'll probably already start seeing some added value bundles in the coming weeks.

Oct 30, 2017
so PS3 didnt launch 6 years after PS2 when PS2 was doing amazing numbers (better than PS4), right?
oh wait , it did ;)
Yes because the leap will be EXCACTLY the same as PS2 -> PS3 if the PS5 was released in 2019..... and the games are taking as long and cost also as much as it used to be in 2005 - 2006...... oh wait ;-) !

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The PS4 is doing great and shows no slow at sales and they didn't even cut the price, in fact they just raised their expectations for sales.

Next Gen won't start before Holidays 2020.... other than that it's just a wishful thinking.

2020 at the earliest, I think it will be later than that. If you look at what a 6TF console gets you vs a standard ps4 the difference isn't a generation leap in quality. So a next gen console needs to be much more powerful than 6TF to justify it's existence as a proper replacement which is something that has gotten a lot harder to do.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes because the leap will be EXCACTLY the same as PS2 -> PS3 if the PS5 was released in 2019..... and the games are taking as long and cost also as much as it used to be in 2005 - 2006...... oh wait ;-) !
they will release a 12 TF vega variant with 16 to 24 gb of memory with a mobile ryzen cpu and the jump is almost the same between them . and as the cost for development goes, PS5 will be similar architecture to PS4 so its not like a new alien hardware for the devs that they need to learn and start from scratch.

anyways we are getting off topic. this is about XB1X success . lets not turn it to PS5 discussion ;) .

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Is comparing the PS2 really fair though?
The hw-delta with PS2 was comparable to what people classify as "generational" upgrade nowadays (ie. Xone->XoneX). Also don't recall any novelty features unique to PS2 between those two, it was the PS2 that needed add-ons to catch up to some of them.

Oct 30, 2017
People want new stuff.... Big news... Hope Sony takes the hint and releases the PS5 sooner rather than later.
They released the Pro last year and they are doing great... they don't need to release PS5 earlier.

Besides:

2020 at the earliest, I think it will be later than that. If you look at what a 6TF console gets you vs a standard ps4 the difference isn't a generation leap in quality. So a next gen console needs to be much more powerful than 6TF to justify it's existence as a proper replacement which is something that has gotten a lot harder to do.
This.
they will release a 12 TF vega variant with 16 to 24 gb of memory with a mobile ryzen cpu and the jump is almost the same between them . and as the cost for development goes, PS5 will be similar architecture to PS4 so its not like a new alien hardware for the devs that they need to learn and start from scratch.

anyways we are getting off topic. this is about XB1X success . lets not turn it to PS5 discussion ;) .

A new generation isn't necessary before 2020 at earliest.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good numbers for a 450 pound box. Let's see if it keeps the sales up. It seems to be getting a good buzz from word of mouth. I'm guessing the ps4 pro sold out at 50k? Hence the difference

Oct 27, 2017
Vienna
To show how its advantages non enhanced games, how great games can look enhanced, 4K bluray player, and the wonders for backwards compatibility.

They deserve success on this machine. It's a great jump and I fell maybe we will see a closer S/X split as more people go for the superior hardware, something which the pro has always struggled to show more
Sony is profiting from their education efforts as well.

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

There a lot of factors in play with that. The Xbox One X is pushing 4k and the difference between HD and 4k isnt as dramatic as SD to HD. For the X is issue is the processor which is the bottleneck more now. Diminishing returns is also in play graphically now. The X is also was not built for a new generation rather improving current one.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
yes i agree but it is not this black and white where the stronger console will come out on top or the weaker one comes out on top. the price matters, the games matter ,the marketing matters,their communication around the launch matters and so on. but history has shown the console that hits the market first usually keeps the lead for atleast the majority of the gen.
That's true. All those factors can dictate which console sells better, not just better hardware.

The hw-delta with PS2 was comparable to what people classify as "generational" upgrade nowadays (ie. Xone->XoneX).
Neither the PS2>Xbox or the XO>X1X can be considered a 'generational' upgrade.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow.....why is this a Playstation thread now
Because we're still not allowed positive Xbox news. It's been the rule since Kinect launched.

To be fair, this is a sales thread, so comparisons to the competition are inevitable and need to be done. What I do think is rather amusing is the sudden PS5 discussion, which seems to have quickly surfaced in the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Comparing to the PS4 Pro launch is not super useful given how wildly different the companies approached marketing these mid-gen upgrades. PS4 Pro had almost zero marketing buildup, it was weird. They just kind of released it. Xbox One X had been hyped for an entire year and had all these great commercials on TV. Microsoft treated it like a new console release, Sony just kind of announced the thing and it was out a few months later.

Paronth

Oct 25, 2017
The legs will be important now, although word of mouth is positive and I'd expect a price drop before the Summer (or aggressive bundling).

Indeed, the main difference in sales of a new console vs mid-gen console are the legs. You can already see on amazon.uk Xbox One x is #27, I remember the Xbox One (PS4 was out of stock) was in the top 3 for 2 months.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like the rumblings of the past month suggested that the X would actually do well. I'm enjoying it but I think the new UI needs some patches because I've encountered all kinds of weird issues.

Comparing to the PS4 Pro launch is not super useful given how wildly different the companies approached marketing these mid-gen upgrades. PS4 Pro had almost zero marketing buildup, it was weird. They just kind of released it. Xbox One X had been hyped for an entire year and had all these great commercials on TV. Microsoft treated it like a new console release, Sony just kind of announced the thing and it was out a few months later.

Yes! I'm sure it helped some that MS put the X out after the Pro but it's kind of amazing just how much better of a job MS did pushing the X compared to what Sony has done with the Pro. Sure MS needs a win here with the X more than Sony did with the Pro but it's still kind of crazy. I was always kind of annoyed that Sony launched two $400-$500 pieces of hardware within a month of each other last year with the PSVR and the Pro.

Even though the Pro and PSVR both have done well (especially PSVR) I can't help but feel like the smarter move would've been to space those launches out a bit more. Even if the Pro still came out last year and they put out PSVR this year I think that would've been smarter because maybe the headset would've gotten the better breakout box and built in audio day one and it would potentially have given them something to lure people away from the X and the Switch. MS has gotten a lot of flack for its lacking winter lineup of just Forza 7 but Sony's lineup of GT Sport and Horizon DLC isn't exactly amazing either.

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
lol it's quite amusing -- some people just have a hard time accepting Microsoft's early launch success in the U.K. with the x.

Edit: spelling.
hopefully that does not refer to me.

I was talking about PlayStation but because the conversation lead there, not because i can not accept success of XB1X. I was 100% rooting for X to outsell pro and i am happy that it did.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved success. They took their time to deliver a desirable mid-gen refresh, marketed it well and put together one hell of a machine.

Welcome back Xbox.

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, the main difference in sales of a new console vs mid-gen console are the legs. You can already see on amazon.uk Xbox One x is #27, I remember the Xbox One (PS4 was out of stock) was in the top 3 for 2 months.

Yeah well have to see about legs. Id love more then a 1 to 5 X to S ratio but with the price it will probably do that

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 and XBO were a seriously huge deal because we'd waited 8 years for a new generation. That's why the PS5 in 2019 discussion is interesting, it could launch then but it wouldn't make anything like the splash the PS4/XBO did at launch - firstly because we'd be looking at a shorter generation this time around, and secondly because we've had beefy mid-gen consoles (especially in case of X) already giving us near-4K goodness so they'll take an awful lot more to impress at launch.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS4 and XBO were a seriously huge deal because we'd waited 8 years for a new generation. That's why the PS5 in 2019 discussion is interesting, it could launch then but it wouldn't make anything like the splash the PS4/XBO did at launch - firstly because we'd be looking at a shorter generation this time around, and secondly because we've had beefy mid-gen consoles (especially in case of X) already giving us near-4K goodness so they'll take an awful lot more to impress.

How ?it was seven years. every other gen was 6 years.

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible upgrade unlike the pro(granted still glad I have it for boost mode in various games).

That said the UI still can get sluggish which is very disappointing.

GamerEra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The X had an extra year to be ready and it was also available for pre-order a few more months than the Pro.

If I recall the Pro was announced in September and then released in November.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Solid start. It's a great piece of hardware and I definitely think there is an audience for it. Will be interesting to see how it is doing in 6 months from now.

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox owners have been longing for this day since E3 2016. MS have put alot of marketing behind this console, both E3 and Gamescom was dedicated to the x. Lets see if they keep it up

wotta

Oct 27, 2017
Good numbers, well done Microsoft. Though I imagine, like Pro, the numbers will be Top heavy. I can imagine the numbers will drop to Prol levels after launch, indeed it's in stock everywhere, so that suggests there's not massive demand anymore. We shall see though, the more competition, the more games we get and hopefully the better the quality. Happy with my Pro for now, once MS starts releasing some exclusives that interest me I'll get one. (or more likely once I can afford one)

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I thought the numbers would be far higher. Especially after Microsoft calling the Xbox One X the fastest selling Xbox colsole ever.

They didn't. After like a week of pre-orders being open they said it was the fastest and most pre-ordered Xbox. But that was almost certainly true...given it was probably the biggest discrete launch in terms of announcement to pre-orders being up.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017

No way will x keep up with s this holiday, you can get mega bundles with a few top games for under £200 where as x is £450 without a game. S will be the biggest seller with parents this Xmas.