• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
g9oVCXo.jpg

I searched and didn't see a thread for this last night.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Where's Forza Motorsport 7?

Edit: Oh, at 9.

You can see the sales of all their games decrease sequel after sequel.

(Tho FH4 doesn't follow this trend worldwide, maybe?)

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Halo: MCC at second place just reminds how badly 343 dropped the ball during release, absolute shambles. They lost a lot of players with that one.

I'm surprised Horizon 3 is above 4.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Such a sad list. Very excited to see what next gen brings, it can only get much better

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Seeing Halo: MCC at second place just reminds how badly 343 dropped the ball during release, absolute shambles. They lost a lot of players with that one.

I'm surprised Horizon 3 is above 4.

It's by sales revenue and Forza Horizon 4 launched on game pass, so naturally it is going to be lower as sales will have been lower

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's by sales revenue and Forza Horizon 4 launched on game pass, so naturally it is going to be lower as sales will have been lower

Many on this forum are convinced that Game Pass has a positive effect on sales (and there is some evidence this may have been the case for certain games, though certainly not Gears 5). FH4 obviously hasn't been out for as long, but even so... it's hard to reconcile the notion that game pass increases sales and FH4 being behind FH3.

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Many on this forum are convinced that Game Pass has a positive effect on sales (and there is some evidence this may have been the case for certain games, though certainly not Gears 5). FH4 obviously hasn't been out for as long, but in general, it's hard to reconcile the notion that game pass increases sales and FH4 being behind FH3 despite the larger install base at this point in the generation.
Imho the arguments I've seen for increased sales have all been for indy games, where they've had a net gain from word of mouth and exposure in game pass.

I think triple AAA is a different proposition, and you'll never get a net gain. The loss in sales is planned to be covered by the increased player base buying more expansions and Michael Jackson's.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Imho the arguments I've seen for increased sales have all been for indy games, where they've had a net gain from word of mouth and exposure in game pass.

I think triple AAA is a different proposition, and you'll never get a net gain. The loss in sales is planned to be covered by the increased player base buying more expansions and Michael Jackson's.

This is not what has been suggested in the past, but I agree personally.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Microsoft's best game this generation - Ori and the Blind Forest - is nowhere to be seen. I know it did very well digitally on both XBO and Steam, but did it get a physical release in the US?

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Many on this forum are convinced that Game Pass has a positive effect on sales (and there is some evidence this may have been the case for certain games, though certainly not Gears 5). FH4 obviously hasn't been out for as long, but even so... it's hard to reconcile the notion that game pass increases sales and FH4 being behind FH3.

Even so? I mean we're talking a substantial difference there...not a few months...and given we don't know the sales gap......

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's an interesting typo.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of surprised Halo 5 is top of the Xbox exclusive chart. I thought Forza might grab it.

This chart is an echo of the old "Halo, Gears, Forza" mantra from Microsoft a few years back. Dark times in the late 360/first half of this gen. What could have been if they kept on their path from 2008ish.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
No exclusives in the top 10 is not good.

Honestly looking forward to next gen for Microsoft. I sat out this gen as I just didnt see the value in their exclusives personally as I'm not into their big 3 much. I own the first xbox and 360.

But now they have a diverse line up of studios and I will be happy to jump in if they bring the goods

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory "Halo's flagship powers have been greatly diminished".

It's amazing to see it miss top 10 overall on Xbox. Even more amazing is that it's fallen behind Battlefield and the worst received COD games. On Xbox, My beloved series used to hold its own against COD and dominate Battlefront and Battlefield. I also imagine it's behind Rainbow Six, Destiny 1.

Man they sucked the "cool" right out of the franchise by trying to "fit in". I hope Halo: Infinite celebrates what separated Halo from the pack.

That comment was usually attributed to sales at launch.

It's easy to imagine that Gamepass suppresses legs at retail, even while boosting the overall player base.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018
But isn't Forza Horizon 4 one of the games specifically mentioned that benefited from Game Pass?

plow

Oct 28, 2017
No exclusives in the top 10 is not good.

Honestly looking forward to next gen for Microsoft. I sat out this gen as I just didnt see the value in their exclusives personally as I'm not into their big 3 much. I own the first xbox and 360.

But now they have a diverse line up of studios and I will be happy to jump in if they bring the goods

While they will have a diverse portofolio, i don't think we will see any game that will be in the top 10 "Scarlet- All games" charts. Which is fine since MS is having a different approach. It's just that i don't see them doing Sony or Nintendo numbers with their exclusive. And with GP they don't have to.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
But isn't Forza Horizon 4 one of the games specifically mentioned that benefited from Game Pass?

I believe so, yes.

Even so? I mean we're talking a substantial difference there...not a few months...and given we don't know the sales gap......

It's probably not that small of a gap given that they aren't even consecutive. While the gap in release date is very significant, these are calculated by revenue which means that the launch window is extremely important and the sales one year hence probably fairly irrelevant. Furthermore, Forza Horizon 4 came out with a significantly larger install base of Xbox Ones. It certainly isn't suggestive of Game Pass benefiting sales much, imo.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
While they will have a diverse portofolio, i don't think we will see any game that will be in the top 10 "Scarlet- All games" charts. Which is fine since MS is having a different approach. It's just that i don't see them doing Sony or Nintendo numbers with their exclusive. And with GP they don't have to.
You never know when a game can break out. And I hope several do.

Last gen Sony exclusives weren't lighting up the charts like they have been this gen.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Halo, Forza and Gears lmao sorry but that meme is so true.

Don't fuck it up next gen MS, I am rooting for you.

Very surprise to not see Halo 5 in top 10 selling list. MP is so fucking good. Still I can find matches without any wait. So very active even after 4 years?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Not gonna lie, that list kind of saddens me. Really shows how rough this gen has been for MS 1st party in a lot of other fields.
Halo not even getting into the Top 10 period of sales is a far different story from prior gens.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of surprised Halo 5 is top of the Xbox exclusive chart. I thought Forza might grab it.

This chart is an echo of the old "Halo, Gears, Forza" mantra from Microsoft a few years back. Dark times in the late 360/first half of this gen. What could have been if they kept on their path from 2008ish.
Nothing really changed from 2008 though. Those 3 continue to be their most popular exclusives. Just like last gen, MS made bets on new IPs that didn't have selling power.

Last edited:

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
That basically sounds about right for this gen. I expect the exclusives to get way more diversified next gen.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair kids fall prey to both.
domthybomb i kind of laughed, although I probably shouldn't!

I've just heard microtransactions so much that it sounded like Michael Transactions, and I spent a while wondering what that person would be like.

I imagine them as maybe an 80's wolf of wall street character where they just go full capitalism and chase deal after deal.

Then it just started sounding like Michael Jackson's....

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Ive been watching some taiwanese YouTube videos and their description of the xbox library always makes me laugh.

枪车球 ~ Guns Cars Balls(sports)

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing that list at the end of the generation makes me wonder what the fuck they've been doing all this time? How long has Spencer been at the helm this gem?

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
It is not a very easy comparison to make. Not only is sales period longer but if we believe gamepass boosts sales I think it is perfectly reasonable to think that FH4 on gamepass also boosted sales of FH3. You need launch aligned numbers to make any claims about this.