• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
So, from the recently obtained court documents has a page that had two of Xbox's Portfolio Team members (Mike and Jon) play and write a "review" of the game, as part of recent game release highlights - presumably for one of their leadership meetings.

Probably one of the few times we'll get these sort of game-level 'first-party reviews' of major game releases.

LuOD02G.jpg

Distribute without regard for confidentiality. ;)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean to say people working at the platforms aren't just warriors???

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly agree with all of that, but the gunplay is good in TLOU2 and I don't care what anyone says.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I was shocked to see this.

Was not expecting this. So much info isa coming out from this case.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Calling the gun combat not even decent is just mind-numbingly stupid, TLOU2 has probably my favorite gunplay in any TPS. Besides that it's mostly just praise which is in line with other critics, I suppose.

OP
OP
Nightengale

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

It's "reviewed"... because Xbox considers PlayStation competition?

And thus are paying attention/reviewing/analyzing the games they make?

Warrior is a foolish phrasing for it, but this slide exist because companies pay attention to each other.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the final form of being a console warrior? Play the competitors game, say it's amazing to your bosses, so they green light their own exclusive version?

Console warring turning into multi-million dollar moves.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
"The overall presentation is significantly ahead of anything that other teams have been producing on consoles and PC"
Well damn, thats some big praise from a competitor analysis.
Highly disagree on their thoughts regarding gunplay though.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Disagree about the take on gun combat, which imo was really well done but the review itself was really straightforward in its praise of the game.

ginge

Jul 23, 2020
honestly its one of the better reviews I have seen for the last of us 2, and I find myself agreeing with most of what it says.

I also like how they say how groundbreaking TLOU2 is, and that even if it wasn't everyone's cup of tea it unquestionably moved the gaming industry forward and set a new bar

VermillionA

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
I suspect people will just focus on the line about the gunplay when the overall review seems to be incredibly positive.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
That was a nice read, considered the game from all angles

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
lol wut at saying the gun combat isn't decent

It's probably the best major TPS combat-wise outside of MGSV.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, this is a neat look behind the curtain, regardless of my (or anybody's) opinion about their opinions.

I'm just a touch surprised there was no mention of accessibility, given Microsoft's general promotion of it, and Naughty Dog's commendable work on various accessibility features.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Agree with some other people here, everything is great except the take on gunplay but otherwise it's a really interesting read and nice to get some insight into how this sort of thing is framed and works internally.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I had to double take the thread title to be sure I was reading it right lol.

Nice review overall, I agree on most points.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's a smart idea to know what your competition is doing in any industry, and ideally everyone would enjoy everyone else's games. That review is pretty fair and most of their points are explained really well.

Lots of praise on the graphics and art direction, Naughty Dog really earned their stripes on that one.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting stuff and a really great review too.. Baker is head of Portfolio @ Xbox. could Xbox be working on an exclusive AAA 3P acrion/adventure game? or probably building a team to tackle that genre?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's a smart idea to know what your competition is doing in any industry, and ideally everyone would enjoy everyone else's games. That review is pretty fair and most of their points are explained really well.

Lots of praise on the graphics and art direction, Naughty Dog really earned their stripes on that one.
I mean every pub does this. Would be really weird if they didnt.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
This is not that weird to me. In our company there are a couple of people who have as part of their job to review new games and new features in games.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It really is nothing special on its own.
I'm guessing it's specifically custom made for this game.
But a lot of people don't seem to be able to adapt to different ways of shooting mechanisms.
I never have that much trouble with it, aside from having to adapt for an hour or so.

Anyway it would be weird if Xbox owners wouldn't want to play this game. Please stop it with the dumb-ass console wars. It's the dumbest thing on earth. It's the exact same mechanism as for racism, exclusion, bigotry, etc. Stans are idiots and really miss out.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Maybe the gunplay comment is due to 30 FPS ?
or maybe they prefer the gears type TPS combat over TLOU2 style

rude

Oct 25, 2017
what TPS has good gunplay if TLOU2 doesn't?

Vanquish, Max Payne 3 and Resident Evil 4 are the only ones that are comparable to me.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting stuff and a really great review too.. Baker is head of Portfolio @ Xbox. could Xbox be working on an exclusive AAA 3P acrion/adventure game? or probably building a team to tackle that genre?

This is just standard practice, doesn't really mean anything about what Xbox are working on.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I kinda wish this review was more detailed and talking about the game in terms of Microsoft's products so we have a better idea about how Microsoft views them in contrast to their own products and how they could improve/adjust their own offerings. Like "Their realization of California is technically and artistically better than our game X" or "We should do ___ more as it worked extremely well here". It's probably in some other internal document or analysis though.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
As a TPS it's amazing with great mechanics and fluidity. Overall it's stellar.
Exactly, the way you can switch so fluidly between stealth and all out combat is best in class. Like smoothly creeping up behind a person, breaking their neck, throwing a brick at the next target then rushing in and beating them down, then jumping onto your back and throwing a molotov into an incoming group. The only other game that really comes close to this level of third person fluidity is MGSV.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who likes shooters and TPS I don't agree, but it's subjective.

Also this, 2 and especially 4/TLL plays great, spent many hours in UC4 MP because of the gunplay alone, the 60fps made it feel even better.

I don't want to sound dismissive. The gunplay is fine...not even close to being bad. But i believe the overall package elevates the act of shooting. Its responsive...the animations are amazing and naughty dog creates some of the best set pieces around.