• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Woah, are those RAM speed numbers right?

edit: It's hard to look at this comparison and think that lowering the resolution is the only thing developers will have to do.

What's your take on the rest of his assessment?

Can we finally put this whole "all developers have to do is lower the resolution!" nonsense behind us now? It was bullshit months ago and it's bullshit today. Obviously the work involved isn't going to be as simplistic and trivial as that, and compromises beyond resolution are going to have to be made. The question now is whether or not this is going to hurt game development going forward. Like, will games be made with the Series X and PS5 as baselines and squeezed down to the Series S, or will developers treat the Series S as the baseline spec?

Did MS say anything about a mandate? Will Series X and Series S versions have to release at the same time, or can developers port down at their convenience like with a lot of Switch ports?

The workload to make two separate and wholly different versions of the same game would be massive.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
Ps4 gpu was mid end at the time of release, I would compare series s to og xbox 1 than ps4. And it is definitely not OK if you look at how many 3rd party games run on it. You even got games running at 720p in its early days.

I say it's doing OK since it's almost 7 years later,
as I said at the time the PS4 was released there were GPUs equivalent to its specs under $200, it was mid range, but there were things a lot faster (290x, 780), also keep in mind the S is significantly cheaper than the PS4 in 2013, and it has an actual good CPU and very fast storage, things the last gen was really bad at even for 2013.

and if you look at the Xbox One, ouch, that was a bad machine.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I never really buy the "held back" argument, because I can't think of a single gameplay thing in gaming today that wasnt already done in the PS2 gen or earlier. We just don't see these constant revolutionary changes driven by tech that people like to pretend. Instead it's just improved fidelity over the same open world games, FPS titles, MMOs, racing games, third person action games we've been playing for 20+ years. All the really innovative stuff I can think of (SotC, Journey, battle royale as a genre, Minecraft to name a few examples) has had exactly 0 to do with technical power of the device.

Series S will move the baseline up to a really solid CPU and fast SSD which is where any real potential tech-driven innovation lies this gen, so that shouldn't be a problem. Yeah, visually the DF comparisons might get ugly. But "ugly" relative to a very high bar from PS5/Series X.

That said, I do wish it had shipped at 12GB and 5TF if only to make dev's lives easier. Sounds like they cut it very close (to be charitable) on the 1440p target.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
What's your take on the rest of his assessment?
The truth is there will be games where resolution is essentially the only major difference, there will be games where other noticeable changes need to be made, and there will be games that look and/or run badly on the S.

Anyone who makes any sweaping claims that "it'll all be exactly the same, except at a lower resolution!" or "every game this gen will be worse because the S exists!" are, frankly, either deluded or lying.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The truth is there will be games where resolution is essentially the only major difference, there will be games where other noticeable changes need to be made, and there will be games that look and/or run badly on the S.

Anyone who makes any sweaping claims that "it'll all be exactly the same, except at a lower resolution!" or "every game this gen will be worse because the S exists!" are, frankly, either deluded or lying.

But again, how is that different from PC games? Crysis for example in 2007 ran like shit on most PC's but most PC games in general are better optimized and target lower specs to atleast be playable on most PC's at lower settings. In the end I don't think the S is going to hamper development long term similar to the base consoels and the PS4 pro/Xbox One X didn't this generation.

If games like Witcher 3, DOOM 2016, ect. can be downscaled to the Switch then things can be downscaled to the S.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
But again, how is that different from PC games? Crysis for example in 2007 ran like shit on most PC's but most PC games in general are better optimized and target lower specs to atleast be playable on most PC's at lower settings. In the end I don't think the S is going to hamper development long term similar to the base consoels and the PS4 pro/Xbox One X didn't this generation.

If games like Witcher 3, DOOM 2016, ect. can be downscaled to the Switch then things can be downscaled to the S.
I...don't know what any of this has to do with the post you are quoting.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that the GPU was the only notable difference between the two. But the S also has much less RAM? That's not good. Good luck to the devs on that one.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Yikes.

I mean iD was doing feedback-based texture streaming long before SFS was a twinkle in the next-gen vernacular's eye. So I think he does know all about it.

That IO and sampler feedback etc. will help slow the decrease of streaming footprints in the face of next-gen assets is great - the rate of slowing depending very much on what different engines have already been doing here - but it's not a panacea for the problems 'that id software guy'is raising. The RAM delta, whatever effective multipliers you want to apply, remains and is still large. For some games, knocking resolution and asset detail might cover it. For others it may be more complicated.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I'm more interested in how the S willl do RT in any game that's pushing the X with regards to compute and RT. I can see games in a year or two really start to push the X and PS5 hard. So if a game is 1440/60 or maybe even 1080/60 but reconstructed higher resolution on the X and PS5 because devs are trying to squeeze everything they can out of them, really pushing the RT capabilities, what happens with the S?

The CUs can do either RT or Compute, not both concurrently. So The CUs have to do RT and Compute work.... 20 CUs vs 52 CUs is pretty big with regards to RT, especially with the RAM issues... There aren't dedicated RT cores. So if a game has 30CUs doing Compute, and 12 doing RT on the X, that goes to 16CUs doing compute and 4 doing RT in the S... Kinda seems like you'd want all 20 working on what the X has 30 dedicated to... So drop RT altogether, or you drop to 30fps to make it happen with RT even with having to shift more CUs to RT because 4 will not cut it, and lower res dramatically to make it happen with the cores left available for compute? It would end up looking like a current gen Switch port by comparison to the big systems. Not to mention the extra dev time to make it work...

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So, they've said 1440p not because that's what all games will be, but because a lot of games will be higher than 1080p, especially during the cross-gen period where they're running 1080p on a 1.84tf PS4. There could concievably even be a few 4k games released for XSS, and for indies I expect 4k won't even be that abnormal. 1440p will probably be reasonably common for crossgen. If they advertised it as "1080p" up front, that would be therefore underselling it somewhat. Advertising 1440p is arguably overselling it in the long term, but it's marketing after all.

In many cases, future games will be <1080p on XSS, just as surely as they will be <4k on XSX and PS5. Every devleoper will handle things uniquely - perhaps some games will actually ship with surprisingly high resolutions on XSS, but with lower framerates, or with other graphical settings diminished in precision. In other cases, they might have surprisingly low resolutions but with most other things in-tact. Asset quality will presumably have to be reduced relative to XSX and PS5.
Cross-gen games could be really weird. Because of the RAM limitations and the cross-gen game being unlikely to get a custom texture caching system for the XSS, those games will often end up having the One S texture packs, meaning better textures on One X than on the XSS, but with the XSS reaching stable framerates because of the far better CPU much more easily, maybe even like in the Gears 5 demo, 120Hz on XSS.

But I don't believe there will be any games under 1080p again. Ever. On the next-gen consoles. Even the indie games with custom engines that can't afford to implement complicated tech like MS's own version of DLSS or VRS or even dynamic resolution shading systems will just turn down their graphics "settings" a notch. CPU power should not be an issue any more, which was the real struggle for most indie studios I imagine (most studios. period. actually).

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
The mobo shots clearly show 4x RAM chips next to the SoC. IMO those are GDDR6 14gbps 2Gbb modules like the other next gen consoles. The missing 2GB I think are NOT GDDR6, but two 1800MHz DDR4 (PC3600) 1GB modules. The math works out: 64 bit bus would give you 55.6GB/s, or 56GB/s.

Quoting from the PS5 technical discussion thread:

After reading the bandwidth of the 2GB, I think it's only a single chip in clamshell mode. So 2GB x 5. Weird, but minimizes chip count.
Exploded view kinda confirms this:

xbox_series_s_exploded.png

Lower chassis has a raised area to bridge and conduct heat away from a single module on the back of the board.

It is clear the Series S uses the same split addressing design of all GDDR6 as the Series X, but in this case can either access 8GB striped across all chips on 4x32 bit interfaces* @56GB/s each (128-bit @ 224GB/s total), or the remaining 2GB across fewer (in this case, one*) 32-bit interface at 56GB/s.

* GDDR6 interfaces are actually dual 16-bit rather than the usual 32-bit, but that's not really relevant.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Thx for putting some weight behind what should be obvious but people refuse to see.
Matt is correct. Having said that I don't think we would see PS5 and Series X being the baseline, when Series S wouldn't exist for a few years, since this time the consoles are comparable to a high end pc.

Dec 8, 2018
Matt is correct. Having said that I don't think we would see PS5 and Series X being the baseline, when Series S wouldn't exist for a few years, since this time the consoles are comparable to a high end pc.

They would be the baseline for consoles and PC minimum specs are not something that is decided 7 years in advance and we'll be taken into account for during such a time. This machine is exactly that kind of a fixed anchor for this console generation and instead of having high end PC specs to last us 7 years into the future we now have this....

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Im still hopeful that xsx will be the effective baseline - fast SSD, decent TFs, good cpu

- for ps5 you tweak the resolution but mostly the same
- for high end PC you're good - maybe add a decent SSD as recommended spec
- for low end pc you require the player to turn settings/framerate down to compensate for potentially lower CPU. Maybe 16GB starts to be more popular for mitigating lack of fast SSD While we wait for direct storage to save us
- for xss devs do the same as lower end PC but do the choosing for us

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I just noticed this, but why doesn't the Series X and S have USB-C ports? Even their controller has a USB-C port. Why didn't they at least put one on the console?

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im still hopeful that xsx will be the effective baseline - fast SSD, decent TFs, good cpu

- for low end pc you require the player to turn settings/framerate down to compensate for potentially lower CPU. Maybe 16GB starts to be more popular for mitigating lack of fast SSD While we wait for direct storage to save us
Don't expect any multiplatform game to take advantage of the new SSDs for gameplay purposes. They have to account for most PC players that are still playing in HDDs or slower SSDs. You'll only see better load times and that's it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Don't expect any multiplatform game to take advantage of the new SSDs for gameplay purposes. They have to account for most PC players that are still playing in HDDs or slower SSDs. You'll only see better load times and that's it.

i hope/think it'll be one area that starts to push forwards on pc specs

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
USB-A is just as capable as USB-C.
A lot of people now have USBC cables thanks to their phones (even iPhones) coming with USBC cables at one end. It's definitely massively grown recently and for years to come would be nice to have both on the system. Certainly on the front there should be one accessible USBC like PS5 has. Keep the larger old ports for the back for stuff like external HDDs. It would just be nice to have it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no. The CPU is 200 MHz slower. That will surely be the difference between games running at 120 FPS and 30 FPS.
Oh no. It has less RAM. That will surely limit the scope of next-gen games and not simply mean that it will use lower resolution textures to go with its lower rendering resolution.
Oh no. The OS portion of RAM is 56GB/s. That thing can't possibly play next-gen games and will surely hold back an entire generation as the lowest common denominator.

10900k_aidamemory9njde.jpg

Why would you ruin the PS5 by releasing this hardware Microsoft?

That GPU is worrying at only 4 TF which is 1/3 the power which means it will likely be more than just 4k vs 1080p when it comes to differences.
Nope. At 1080p you have 1/3 the power for 1/4 the resolution.
The only thing suspect is calling it a "1440p" system when 1/3 of 4K is 1247p.

USB-A is just as capable as USB-C.
It's ugly though, and inconvenient.
I'd much rather be using C-to-C cables than A-to-C. Ideally type-A would be getting phased out.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
USB is the most misunderstood standard on the planet. USB-A and USB-C are actually the connector itself. USB-C tends to come with speed/power increases, but the USB-A to USB-C cable can have just as many features/speed/power as a USB-C to C cable.
Agreed on the USB misunderstanding. That said, the USB-IF hasn't exactly helped out here. :-)

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
We already have The Medium listing an SSD recommendation in its minimum system requirements.

The notion that devs won't abandon HDDs in the near future is misguided.

There is no reason to believe devs won't take advantage of the NVMe SSDs. It's a new generation. Hardware requirements increase significantly.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Well, no. The S will be the new baseline for the next gen. Games will have to be made to run acceptably on that hardware.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well, no. The S will be the new baseline for the next gen. Games will have to be made to run acceptably on that hardware.

would you agree that it will mainly be the CPU and SSD that will be critical in terms of design? Graphics should be relatively scalable so S having the same CPU is important in this discussion

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
It's less a matter of if they can than if anyone would.

Unless the S tanks no one will want to skip it.
I get it. Definitely not the news I wanted to hear. Well, while I expect some difficult, I hope it doesn't hold back game design too much and it turns out to be more a little headache for studios.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
would you agree that it will mainly be the CPU and SSD that will be critical in terms of design? Graphics should be relatively scalable so S having the same CPU is important in this discussion
No, the RAM situation is a huge factor here. And the GPU is not irrelevant, though it's functions are much more scalable.

The fact that the S has an SSD and essentially the same CPU as the PS5 and the X is certainly a relief though.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We already have The Medium listing an SSD recommendation in its minimum system requirements.

The notion that devs won't abandon HDDs in the near future is misguided.

There is no reason to believe devs won't take advantage of the NVMe SSDs. It's a new generation. Hardware requirements increase significantly.
The Medium recommendation doesn't even mention the minimum SSD speed or say it is required, so I'm guessing it will still be playable in older SSDs and even HDDs. I may be mistaken, of course, but I don't see any game on PC not running on a HDD in the next few years. In the future, sure, but not the near future.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
I'm planning to keep using my 1080p monitor for a couple more years, should I be ok with the XSS? The price difference on my country is probably going to be significant, but I'm also planning in later get the XSX revision when it comes out in 2023 or so

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning to keep using my 1080p monitor for a couple more years, should I be ok with the XSS? The price difference on my country is probably going to be significant, but I'm also planning in later get the XSX revision when it comes out in 2023 or so
Of course, you are naming the ideal case to buy a Series S

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Quoting from the PS5 technical discussion thread:

It is clear the Series S uses the same split addressing design of all GDDR6 as the Series X, but in this case can either access 8GB striped across all chips on 4x32 bit interfaces* @56GB/s each (128-bit @ 224GB/s total), or the remaining 2GB across fewer (in this case, one*) 32-bit interface at 56GB/s.

* GDDR6 interfaces are actually dual 16-bit rather than the usual 32-bit, but that's not really relevant.
Are you saying there are 5 gddr6 chips but they didn't take advantage of that 5th chip to get 160bit bus and 280GB/s because????

Clamshell mode just allows fewer controller to access more chips, so you are saying XSS SoC only has 4 controllers? How much die space does that save? lol ridiculous.

Last edited:

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Are you saying there are 5 gddr6 chips but they didn't take advantage of that 5th chip to get 160bit bus and 280GB/s because????

Clamshell mode just allows fewer controller to access more chips, so you are saying XSS SoC only has 4 controllers? How much die space does that save? lol ridiculous.
7. 4 1Gb and 3 2GB

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
LOL the objective for a cheaper box is to reduce chip count. If you can do it in 5, do it in 5. You don't get saving by taking two 2GB chips into four 1GB chips. In fact it will cost more.

The only reason to use more chips is if you can swap some of the chips for cheaper type like DDR4.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
It's 5x2GB, 4 on the top side of the mobo, 1 on the back side, clamshell.

Yes, that means using only 4 interfaces. Assuming Series S APU is as dense as Series X (and from the measurements, sure looks like it), each 32bit PHY is about 6.75mm².

Oct 26, 2017

Yes because the two chips in clamshell behave like a single 4GB chip. If they had a 4GB chip available they'd use that instead.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

Each GDDR6 controller on die has an area of 5.5 square mm.

Edit: actually probably a tiny bit low. Make it 6 square mm.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't game on PC but I do venture into bench mark threads on here and new GPUs always seem to grant higher frame rates. But reading this thread and others the GPU in XSS will have no bearing on frame rates/performance? I would think the only way this would be possible if the games were designed for XSS in mind thus making it the baseline for game design. Am I missing something does GPU effect performance on PC but wouldn't between XSS and XSX?