• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Stumbled across this article looking a bit more deeply at the dynamic latency stuff on XSX:

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series X: What’s the Deal with Latency? - Xbox Wire

Webster’s Dictionary defines ‘latency’ as “the quality or state of being present and capable of emerging or developing but not now visible, obvious, or active.” And now that I’ve finally gotten to use that hackneyed writing trope in my career, let’s dive into what latency means in the world of...

That sounds really cool, especially for the wired controller. I'm still bummed by the lack of gyro though, would have been icing on the cake.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
How did this link show that w2 is using tier 2 equivalent? But It did reiterate in the headline exactly what I've said, VRS will provide ~15% performance boost:

NV is saying that, MS is saying that, but an overly aggressive VRS shitty looking 3DMark benchmark is actually what we will get? Press X to doubt.
Quality depends entirely on how it is used. (From bad to amazing and unnoticeable.)
In its simplest form VRS is just rendering with selectable MSAA ratio and display subsamples as pixels.

Meaning 2x2 block in screen rendered with 4xMSAA and all pixels share same shaded result, same color.
If you want to do some blurring you can with post shaders etc.

These should explain things quite well.

software.intel.com

Intel Developer Zone

Find software and development products, explore tools and technologies, connect with other developers and more. Sign up to manage your products.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Stumbled across this article looking a bit more deeply at the dynamic latency stuff on XSX:

news.xbox.com

Xbox Series X: What’s the Deal with Latency? - Xbox Wire

Webster’s Dictionary defines ‘latency’ as “the quality or state of being present and capable of emerging or developing but not now visible, obvious, or active.” And now that I’ve finally gotten to use that hackneyed writing trope in my career, let’s dive into what latency means in the world of...

XSX as a whole will be a beast :)

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The quote at the end mentions they've cut their CPU rendering overhead by half, but then presumably this next gen thanks to the hugely increased potential of the CPU's, devs will increase the amount they rely on the CPU too, especially with things like AI, physics etc.
That is what they did with the Xbox One X, they have got better at it when you read what they stated to Eurogamer and the fact that they have noted that they do not need a tonne of bandwidth for CPU related tasks.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I love that quote on context of the SX being the most powerful console. MS must be all giddy about finally being able to say with confidence that it's the most powerful console.

It was a crazy ride with all the "leaks" but dang good to finally have shown XSX will be the most powerful console nextgen. The team of engineers they have are on point 100%

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I dont know if it's going to be most powerful console since PS5 is pretty damn good at SSD and RAMs but multiplatform games are going to be developed for XSX. Which means SSD difference will be useless besides exclusives and TF difference will be more significant. So SXS will be best platform to play MF games on consoles.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I enjoy looking at the technology powering the next generation.
XboxSeriesXTech_HERO.jpg

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy looking at the technology powering the next generation.

XboxSeriesXTech_HERO.jpg

I love images like this. Just looks so slick and Apple esque. Microsoft definitely have the marketing down this time (at least on console reveal). All of their graphics and use of visual effects, typography etc just scream competency and polish.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know if it's going to be most powerful console since PS5 is pretty damn good at SSD and RAMs but multiplatform games are going to be developed for XSX. Which means SSD difference will be useless besides exclusives and TF difference will be more significant. So SXS will be best platform to play MF games on consoles.
It's more powerful, that's a fact.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I know about SSD, but RAM?

After reading so many posts about this subject, i think your quite mistaken about it

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando

Try not to overthink this. Series X is the most powerful console ever made.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Try not to overthink this. Series X is the most powerful console ever made.
Which means nothing besides it's going to perform better than PS5 at "some" MF games. PS4 Pro works better than XOX at RE3 Remake. Which means it purely depends on games even XOX is more powerful than PS4 Pro. I am not here to circlejerking. I am just here to give reasonable info. There won't be 900p vs 1080p differences like this gen. Every console will mostly run games at 4K 60 to 30 fps. As for RAM Xbox RAMs are both split and OS uses way more than PS5. 15 GB fast rams for games and 1 gb fast rams for OS on PS5 compared to 10 gb fast rams for games and 6 gbs of slow rams on OS of XSX. I haven't mistaken it. PS5 rams are better.

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Which means nothing besides it's going to perform better than PS5 at "some" MF games. PS4 Pro works better than XOX at RE3 Remake. Which means it purely depends on games even XOX is more powerful than PS4 Pro. I am not here to circlejerking. I am just here to give reasonable info. There won't be 900p vs 1080p differences like this gen. Every console will mostly run games at 4K 60 to 30 fps. As for RAM Xbox RAMs are both split and OS uses way more than PS5. 15 GB fast rams for games and 1 gb fast rams for OS on PS5 compared to 10 gb fast rams for games and 6 gbs of slow rams on OS of XSX. I haven't mistaken it. PS5 rams are better.

You talk about resolutions but then mention re3 remake? You realize X is twice the res of pros version? You think if pro outputted to x's res that it would still run at 60fps? X at prod res would be locked 60 all the time

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

You're mistaken on a few points:

Sony haven't announced how the OS is being handled by RAM, it may have more free for games, there are rumours it will, but Sony hasn't said anything.

The RAM isn't split on XSX, but it does run at two speeds.

The faster pool of RAM on XSX which is 10GB (more than a 2080, just under a 2080TI) and which is intended for the graphics is faster than the RAM on PS5.

It may be that the RAM setup on PS5 works better than XSX in practise, it may be the other way around.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Which means nothing besides it's going to perform better than PS5 at "some" MF games. PS4 Pro works better than XOX at RE3 Remake. Which means it purely depends on games even XOX is more powerful than PS4 Pro. I am not here to circlejerking. I am just here to give reasonable info. There won't be 900p vs 1080p differences like this gen. Every console will mostly run games at 4K 60 to 30 fps. As for RAM Xbox RAMs are both split and OS uses way more than PS5. 15 GB fast rams for games and 1 gb fast rams for OS on PS5 compared to 10 gb fast rams for games and 6 gbs of slow rams on OS. I haven't mistaken it. PS5 rams are better.
Not some. Basically all. Re3 runs at a lower framerate but it's pushing around twice as more pixels. Even if sometimes X pushes a higher res and instead has a less solid framerate it usually gets sorted out in a few patches.

Not sure if the difference will be as drastic (could be because there's a sizeable bandwidth gap) but there are no reason for a SX game to perform worse than one on ps5 given how close they are architectural and features wise.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
As for XOX and PS4 Pro RE3 difference. PS4 Pro runs at 2K to 1620p 60 fps compared to XOX 1620p to 1800p dynamic fps.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020

You say reasonable info but yet you want to present an unfinished demo as some fact to prove your statement, that's not reasonable info. Can both consoles run 4k60? Sure, but not at the same image quality. We can look at the 5700XT and see how that card struggles with 4k games which the PS5 GPU is a revision of. There will definitely be differences in resolution, framerate and image quality.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Not some. Basically all. Re3 runs at a lower framerate but it's pushing around twice as more pixels. Even if sometimes X pushes a higher res and instead has a less solid framerate it usually gets sorted out in a few patches.

Not sure if the difference will be as drastic (could be because there's a sizeable bandwidth gap) but there are no reason for a SX game to perform worse than one on ps5 given how close they are architectural and features wise.
Yep definitely. Backwards Compatibilty games would work better on PS5 because instead of GPU TF SSD matters more.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Believe whatever you want to believe. Both consoles are better or worse in some aspects. TF difference isn't a difference enough to warrant XSX is going to be stronger than PS5. I am not here to circlejerk about "Xbox stronk, PS bad" or vice versa. They are more evener than you all think.
Doesn't the sx have a better gpu, cpu and faster ram?

I think that's enough to call it the strongest current console.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm optimistic for both consoles, but more for Microsoft because they are on a roll with the new system. Its the most powerful and seems so damn optimised.
Yeah it's where I'll jump in first, there is a lot of talk about Sony's SSD right now but proof is still in the pudding there. And I have Game Pass and with the 1st party XSX launch games there day 1 there really was no contest for me. I just want to see a preorder button at this point.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Ram isn't faster. 10 gb 556 gb/s + 6 gb 320 gb/s isn't better than 16 gb 448 gb/s. For games XSX will have 10 gb 556 gb/s compared to PS5 with 15 gb 448gb/s. PS5s rams are better.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Yep definitely. Backwards Compatibilty games would work better on PS5 because instead of GPU TF SSD matters more.
The sx also has an ssd though. So unless you mean loading screens that are 2 seconds faster on the ps5, I don't really see the big advantage it has for bc games. After all, they're not being designed from the ground up for an ssd.

Not to mention current bc games already have reduced load times on even the x.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't the sx have a better gpu, cpu and faster ram?

I think that's enough to call it the strongest current console.
copy paste from a Stadia thread:
CPU
PlayStation 5
: Custom Zen 2 CPU with eight Cores at 3.5 GHz (Variable Frequency)

Xbox Series X: Custom Zen 2 CPU with eight Cores at 3.8 GHz (3.66 GHz with Simultaneous Multithreading)

Stadia: Custom 2.7GHz hyper-threaded x86 CPU with AVX2 SIMD and 9.5MB L2+L3 cache

GPU
PlayStation 5
: Custom RDNA 2, 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)

Xbox Series X: Custom RDNA 2, 12.15 TFLOPs, 52 CUs at 1.825 GHz

Stadia: Custom AMD GPU, 10.7 TFLOPs, 56 CUs guestimated to run at 1.495GHz

Memory
PlayStation 5
: 16GB GDDR6 with a 256mb bus | 448GB/s bandwidth

Xbox Series X: 16GB GDDR6 with a 320mb bus | 10GB at 560 GB/s, 6GB at 336 GB/s bandwidth

Stadia: 16GB of HBM2 RAM | 484GB/s bandwidth

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you think the ps5 os will only use 1 gig of ram lol?

I think he's under the theorised impression that the PS5 will be able to save a system image or cache aside OS functions thanks to the speed of the SSD, thus allowing for more ram use for games, but this is not confirmed in any way.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
XseX uses 6gb for OS and PS5 just 1gb? That's just horseshit.

Are you seriously making an example out of one demo? There's hundreds of multiplatform games to compare. Not demos, but whole games.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Ram isn't faster. 10 gb 556 gb/s + 6 gb 320 gb/s isn't better than 16 gb 448 gb/s. For games XSX will have 10 gb 556 gb/s compared to PS5 with 15 gb 448gb/s. PS5s rams are better.

XSX ram is better. 10GB for GPU is what devs will push to and may not fully use till late in the gen. 2080ti level of vram and more than other gpus. All running at 560gb/s for graphics is insanely great and better than ps5 lower bandwidth for gpu. The ram in XSX isn't split lol it's one pool that gives gpu high bandwidth and cpu lower at 336gb/s which is extremely more than enough for cpu tasks

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020

The RAM is not only faster but I has significantly more lanes to transfer data. Your comment shows that you have no fundamental knowledge of how RAM works of how its used.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I think he's under the theorised impression that the PS5 will be able to save a system image or cache aside OS functions thanks to the speed of the SSD, thus allowing for more ram use for games, but this is not confirmed in any way.
I'm curious how much of a bottleneck ram currently is for games. I still keep seeing 16 gb as still the recommended amount for the most part. I imagine consoles are able to use the ram more efficiently than PC's as well.