• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thoughts on the name?

• I like it

Votes: 2,141 37.2%
  • Meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Votes: 1,687 29.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 1,935 33.6%

• Total voters

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Cool design, but terrible name. It's somehow even worse than xbox one.

Assuming Series S also exists, what do you call this family of consoles?
The Xbox Series? XBS?
"Exclusive to the Xbox Series"...?

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Lol, going by the comments in this thread I'm sure some of you would have complained that the PS4/Xbox one wouldn't fit in your entertainment unit if they'd only shown it in vertical.

Some of you must have unit shelves the size of a letterbox.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That name is awfull. Wii U vibes from it. Like the design though.

As for that trailer, if that is real, and we can expect gameplay with that graphical fidelity...then damn this will be quite a jump.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I quite like the look of it. Backwards compatibility with three generations? DANG. I hope this means all OG Xbox titles will work.

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
Xbox Series S
aSrrIPZ.png

Beautiful

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I understand a series is a group of more than one product. Are they going to give this console in particular a specific name?

I am confused.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Surely they can strike a balance? It looks like love child of an Alexa and a generic pc tower.

It's going on go into my TV shelf or on it. Probably right next to my generic box looking speakers, or on the floor next to my generic sub-woofer. I also don't live in a kennel-sized home. I think I can find room.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
The name sucks, it is WiiU all over again.

As for the design itself, I don't mind it. However, this will not fit into a lot of cabinets. I just recently bought one and it will clearly not fit into my new cabinet. Having just shopped for a new cabinet, this will not fit into a lot of designs that I've seen recently.

I don't care too much for XBOX, but it would be kind of funny not to get one, simply because I can't fit it.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
am I the only that thinks this doesn't sound that powerful? Twice as powerful as X1X? CPU 4x that of X1X? Those metrics don't seem that great considering what we got from the X1X. Am I missing something ?
Yes. You're missing the fact that Xbox One X was released at the tail end of 2017, and that it is still tied to the Xbox One it terms of what's possible in games on a fundamental level.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It's going on go into my TV shelf or on it. Probably right next to my generic box looking speakers, or on the floor next to my generic sub-woofer. I also don't live in a kennel-sized home. I think I can find room.
Seems like you have already got a fit.

I suppose there is that. Maybe it is sturdy as well? could double as a footstool if need be. Maybe I am doing it a disservice. Perhaps it is just a forward thinking multifunctional design that can be upcycled in various ways when the lights go out.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. You're missing the fact that Xbox One X was released at the tail end of 2017, and that it is still tied to the Xbox One it terms of what's possible in games on a fundamental level.

ahh your right, we never got to see what was actually possible on the X1X. That seems like a hard idea to communicate to the public

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Be careful about generic dust. But.. hey I recognise you !

Some of us console faithful thinking we're on par with high-end PCs... and then being brought right back down to reality.

P1lhN7P.gif

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you're fine if you've got a 65" wall-mounted tv display and what looks like a 6 foot split cabinet sitting underneath. But I'm talking about small apartment tv shelves from IKEA.

But I guess they were advertising huge TVs at the game awards so maybe I'm not the typical game audience?
I've got a cheap small computer desk that can fit this horizontally and vertically. Unless you really wanted to fit this inside a small skinny shelf this will fit fine anywhere.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like you have already got a fit.

I suppose there is that. Maybe it is sturdy as well? could double as a footstool if need be. Maybe I am doing it a disservice. Perhaps it is just a forward thinking multifunctional design that can be upcycled in various ways when the lights go out.

Yeah. I have a crazy wide TV shelf. If you can spare the room, that's always the way to go. I might've missed it, but I didn't hear anything about making it horizontal instead of vertical. Which would be even better.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
These names already felt like a clusterfuck after Xbox One and XBox One X, now this is just ridiculous. Are they expecting the casual public to understand the difference between those?

And I thought their naming was bad when we had the 360.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It will be BC, they just need to say Xbox
It will be backward compat, but XboxOne isn't forward compatible.

How do you effectively go about saying a game isn't compatible with the XboxOne?

Like do game covers say "Xbox Series" or "Xbox Series X"? The latter which doesn't make sense when "Xbox Series S" can also play "Xbox Series X" games.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It will be backward compat, but XboxOne isn't.

How do you effectively go about saying it isn't compatible with the XboxOne?

Like do game covers say "Xbox Series" or "Xbox Series X"? The latter which doesn't make sense when "Xbox Series S" can also play "Xbox Series X" games.

From what we know, all XSX games will play on XBOne. Did they say something about this today? I haven't caught up.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be more fun if they had a big reveal event for the Series X specifically, but it's still fun to just wake up to this news as a surprise. It looks really cool, can't wait to hear more :D

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't mind it but it's going to be a struggle to fit it anywhere vertically. I have my TVs on stands and the screen extends beyond the width of them so it won't be able to go at that level.

Still, doesn't look too bad. I'm pleased that it looks like a 'normal' electrical appliance and not like a games console, if you see what I mean.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
so is a game playable on series X and series S is called an "Xbox Series Exclusive?"

And if a game series is exclusive to the Xbox Series, is it called an Xbox Series Exclusive Series?

Last edited:

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
No matter how bad I thought the name could be, somehow this is worse. I would say they are betting none of it will matter and it will just be referred to as the xbox x. I still think just calling it the Xbox Two X would have been better.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
ahh your right, we never got to see what was actually possible on the X1X. That seems like a hard idea to communicate to the public
We did get to see what the X1X was capable of: Better resolution and in some cases, framerates.

The fact it had the same shit-tier CPU and storage speed as the 2013 Xbox One is what held back the X1X games, *not* the fact those games had to work on both consoles.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These names already felt like a clusterfuck after Xbox One and XBox One X, now this is just ridiculous. Are they expecting the casual public to understand the difference between those?

And I thought their naming was bad when we had the 360.

I don't necessarily think the name of the consoles will be an issue. However I do think game compatibility is where things get really messy. Trying to explain to your average consumer that Halo 6 works on the Xbox Series X and (maybe?) Xbox One X, but not the Xbox One S - yuck.
I don't envy their marketing team at the moment.