• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thoughts on the name?

• I like it

Votes: 2,141 37.2%
  • Meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Votes: 1,687 29.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 1,935 33.6%

• Total voters

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Okay if we are talking about inspiration, putting Series and then another X after Xbox ain't quite it either.

PS5 is at least consistent and a formidable brand name

It's boring. Inoffensive, sure. Safe, fine. But boring and nobody will be talking about the name "PlayStation 5". That's simply a fact.

Series X is unlike any other console name before and is, obviously, a conversation starter and is clearly inspired by...something.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
The name of the console is Xbox. The Series X will be the high-end SKU, with possible S variants, etc, as established by the current gen.

How is this difficult to understand?

THE NAME OF THE CONSOLE IS XBOX
Really? I have a Xbox in my closet. It's this huge black and green tank and I haven't plugged it in for like 10 years

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I just don't understand how a multimillion dollar company with a highly experienced marketing team can all collectively agree that Xbox Series X is the best possible name they could have possibly thought of and that it wouldn't possibly confuse any potential buyers. The name of a game console is probably the easiest thing to get right and they couldn't do it.
They made Windows 8. Companies are full of highly paid and experienced people who make really dumb decisions constantly.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The name isn't really that great but it's probably the least important part tbh. What the console looks like, performs and games for the console mean most at the end of the day. So far Microsoft have been making correct pushes in all of those directions. Price will of course take place with this as well.

interesting That one console is shown when most of the recent rumors point towards 2.

Nov 11, 2017
I just don't understand how a multimillion dollar company with a highly experienced marketing team can all collectively agree that Xbox Series X is the best possible name they could have possibly thought of and that it wouldn't possibly confuse any potential buyers. The name of a game console is probably the easiest thing to get right and they couldn't do it.
Its honestly not that bad

Customer: I want a xbox

Employee: which one the s or the x?

Customer: give me the x series

JackBauer24

Oct 28, 2017
They did this for one reason. For weeks insider after insider said that the PS5 would be the more powerful console. MS was tired of this and showing a toweresque console shows that they aren't kidding when they said the next Xbox would be the most powerful. If the Xbox Series X was revealed and it was a slightly bigger console, the PS5 dominant rumors would never end. There is absolutely no reason other than this as to why they would unveil it this early.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Good of them to come out and show the big box and not muddy the waters with the destination between low and high end immediately. The design makes sense considering powerful quiet cooling in a flat form factor is always a challenge. I will probably have to put it behind my TV it some shit though.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the name is nearly as confusing as people are suggesting..but I'll agree that's it's extremely 'meh'.

Also the Wii U comparisons are hilarious...Nintendo barely marketed the thing and didn't even make it clear that the Gamepad wasn't an accessory for the Wii...naming it Wii U just made it all that much worse.

This vertical cube thing looks entirely different than any Xbox before it and MS is obviously gonna shove ads and social media of Series X down our throats for the next year to make it very clear what it is and what it does.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I see that they've once again lowered the bar for dumbest / most easily confused name.

Whatever. More interesting is how confident they are it'll be the most powerful.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I like the design, looks very clean and minimalist.

Don't care for the name, but everyone's just gonna simply call it "Xbox" or "the new Xbox" anyway, so whatever.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure that the Wii U comparisons are warranted. That applies more to the "Xbox One X", which implies it's just a different version of the Xbox One. (correctly, I might add.)

Confusion with the upgraded version of the previous console is a possibility, but that's one step removed from the problem the Wii U had. And anyways: microsoft has been pretty up front about wanting this to feel more like an upgrade cycle than a cutoff point.

So perhaps it actually plays into their hands if everyone is talking about the new xbox and someone decides to buy an Xbox One X because it's cheaper, or stick with their X because they don't think the next step up sounds that different. That person will get/have exactly what they expected: an older version that can still play all the games the new one can.

So yeah, maybe it's still bad, but it's a very different situation.

And at the very least no one is going to mistake that actual physical console for being the same as the previous gen.

that's a dang ol X-tangle

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Man, I am still flabbergasted at that form factor! I am dying to know how the mobo is designed and how the cooling works.

I swear, however, it looks almost identical to my previous Rogers Cable internet modem-router unit.

Also, what about the controller? It looks identical to the existing one. Is that a place holder or that's that?

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty clear the aim here is to end generations.

Constant revisions etc, forward compatiblity.

Exactly what I don't want.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Most disastrous marketing strategy IMO. TGA isn't the best place to reveal the actual hardware with the full design. Why had they done this? It'll easily shade away when PS5 revealed.

It's clear they wanted to be first this time but I also agree with you. I think it will be overshadowed by PS5 revealing it this early. Either way I'm still buying it because of Game Pass.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Name's bad, console design is pretty neat.

Can't wait to see more next gen stuff, the year of info, news, and fun speculation really begins now!

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Looked like a miniature PC. The design strikes me as boring, it's like they aren't even trying anymore. Here is hoping the ps5 comes out swinging.

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I have a Xbox in my closet. It's this huge black and green tank.
So you think that in holiday 2020 people are going to walk into stores and purchase
8b9bca79a376631e1b09e821e951ea90-1024-80.jpg

over
maxresdefault.jpg

???

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i dont know how series x is a worse name than the typical video game console name, but whatever

wii
wii u
super nintendo
master system
turbo graphix 16
dreamcast
playstation
gamecube
one

come on folks

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I don't think the name is nearly as confusing as people are suggesting..but I'll agree that's it's extremely 'meh'.

Also the Wii U comparisons are hilarious...Nintendo barely marketed the thing and didn't even make it clear that the Gamepad wasn't an accessory for the Wii...naming it Wii U just made it all that much worse.

This vertical cube thing looks entirely different than any Xbox before it and MS is obviously gonna shove ads and social media of Series X down our throats for the next year to make it very clear what it is and what it does.

Yep. The Wii also sold 100 million consoles, mostly to casuals. Making the Wii U name and rollout problematic.

Microsoft obviously won't face this challenge.