• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thoughts on the name?

• I like it

Votes: 2,141 37.2%
  • Meeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Votes: 1,687 29.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 1,935 33.6%

• Total voters

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Just like my iPhone is technically an iPhone XS.

XS is just the model of my iPhone though. Series X will just be model of my Xbox.
But to me that would imply that games that are available on Series X will also work on the Xbox One. But it's a new generation.

Plus, if we're using that comparison, Xbox X sounds better than Xbox Series X, just like iPhone XS sounds better than iPhone Series XS.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I like the change in form factor. No one said consoles had to look like VCR's. Name is a bit silly though, hopefully they market it correctly so people don't have a Wii U syndrome and have no clue what they are looking at when seeing the name.

Feb 6, 2019
Here is a handy size comparison assuming the dimensions in OP are accurate.:

TCEvr5f.jpg

WEmf6Jk.jpg
VUsFNPu.jpg

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
all i could think about was xbox one x when i saw the name.

congrats to MS for this surprise reveal though. people didnt expect it to be shown here instead of e3 or a specific event so this was surprising

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Next gen is going to be super interesting. Last time around, there were huge differences in approach with the two systems, and it allowed Sony to become a huge leader due to sticking to traditions.

This time around, this is an extremely traditional system. Is Sony going to try new things and risk failing, or are they going to stick to a traditional console like PS4, leading to two very similar consoles?

Can't wait to see what happens.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Terrible name what in the fuck?, and the design of the console is hideous looks like a gaming PC (never liked the design of those). I could tell the graphics in the small snippet of actual gameplay in the Hellblade II trailer that it doesn't look that much more better over what we have now but then again it was dark, maybe the difference is more notable during day time. And I wasn't expecting a huge difference between what we have now and next gen, TBH the new GearBox game looks more impressive to me graphically speaking.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible name what in the fuck?, and the design of the console is hideous looks like a gaming PC (never liked the design of those). I could tell the graphics in the small snippet of actual gameplay in the Hellblade II trailer that it doesn't look that much more better over what we have now but then again it was dark, maybe the difference is more notable during day time. And I wasn't expecting a huge difference between what we have now and next gen, TBH the new GearBox game looks more impressive to me graphically speaking.
If we're going with "it looks like a PC," it looks far more like a business PC than a gaming PC.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

lol WHAT

jesus fucking christ

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
Next gen is going to be super interesting. Last time around, there were huge differences in approach with the two systems, and it allowed Sony to become a huge leader due to sticking to traditions.

This time around, this is an extremely traditional system. Is Sony going to try new things and risk failing, or are they going to stick to a traditional console like PS4, leading to two very similar consoles?

Can't wait to see what happens.

Well firstly they gotta decide if the going traditional console aesthetics or follow this tower route for ideal airflow

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The codenames never stick but 'Xbox Scarlett' sounded really nice. Feels like their naming team is trolling, never thought you could out-stupid 'Xbox One' but Xbox One X to Xbox Series X did it.
I love the mini PC formfactor, but it really brought to mind how cool it would be if it could dual-boot Windows ala PS3/Linux. Getting the console plus a powerful desktop PC for VR freedom would be a killer offer.

Oct 25, 2017
The design looks cool as hell. Hopefully they pull it off with software, which I found wholly lacking this generation from Microsoft.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
The fact that it's a tall console with an odd green glowing light at the top has me thinking; what if they're also attempting to hit the Google Home/Amazon Alexa crowd? The best part of the Kinect was the voice activation.

Making the XSX a central part of the living room with a Cortana voice command/speaker would be an interesting point of difference to the other platforms on top of power. Just saying "Xbox Play Hellblade 2" and it streams it immediately from XCloud (while downloading it in the background) would be really neat.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Didn't Phil say the name will go with the next box capabilities? Like 360, as the all round media box. Xbox one as the only one you need. Series x is just a name with no "deeper" meaning, or have I missed something?

i think just with the name alone, ps5 will be the one to get for clueless parents next holidays. Ps5 just is a clear and simple name, make it clear this is a successor.

Xbox one, xbox one s, Xbox one x, Xbox series X might be a bit too confusing for first time buyers imo. Doesn't sound like next gen at all, but more like another addition to the Xbox one family

Last edited:

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
The fact that it's a tall console with an odd green glowing light at the top has me thinking; what if they're also attempting to hit the Google Home/Amazon Alexa crowd? The best part of the Kinect was the voice activation.

Making the XSX a central part of the living room with a Cortana voice command/speaker would be an interesting point of difference to the other platforms on top of power. Just saying "Xbox Play Hellblade 2" and it streams it immediately from XCloud (while downloading it in the background) would be really neat.

Lovely

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Any close ups and comparisons of the new controller?

Triggers are textured, bumpers more pronounced, underside where the batteries go on the one controller is more streamlined for better ergonomics. Added share button, 8way dpad. Controller is slightly smaller than a one controller.

Really like the change in design. Consoles need to start looking unique again.

Super confusing name, though.

Name breaks for me when calling it Xbox sx... feels like having a lisp.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Confusing name for some people, feels like Wii - Wii U in some ways.
PC form factor, i Imagine for dissipation reasons. Navi can be pretty toasty.