• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 26, 2018
I have a green dashed line blinking on the middle of the screen at boot. See the gif below (you'll have to click to see it blinking). It's random. It's kinda hard to describe and so I'm having a hard time Googling it. It happens once in a while when I boot it up, idk for sure but I wanna say once a week. I just turn it off and back on and we're good, it boots normally. It started happening a while ago, I cannot say for sure but I'd say at least two months ago.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm clueless honestly.

Click to see video

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I have a green dashed line blinking on the middle of the screen at boot. See the gif below (you'll have to click to see it blinking). It's random. It's kinda hard to describe and so I'm having a hard time Googling it. It happens once in a while when I boot it up, idk for sure but I wanna say once a week. I just turn it off and back on and we're good, it boots normally. It started happening a while ago, I cannot say for sure but I'd say at least two months ago.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm clueless honestly.

Click to see video

I hate saying this because it will be a tedious thing to do, but can you back up all your games etc and factory reset the console? Then redownload the updates and see if that fixes the issue.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I would try the reset and contact support after, it's probably one of the things they will ask you to do anyway. If it's a fault you want to get it looked at while it's still in warranty and before any big games drop.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
That remind me quite a lot of when my old GPU gave up the ghost, green blocks of garbage all over the BIOS screen.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I had smaller green dots at the top of the screen once. That ended up being the HDMI cable. I replaced it with an Amazon one.

OP
OP
Jul 26, 2018
That remind me quite a lot of when my old GPU gave up the ghost, green blocks of garbage all over the BIOS screen.
It's more than likely a graphics card failure warning. :/
It could also be the HDMI cable too.
I feel the same way, but the people I quoted work for MS and have relayed many issues that appeared in this forum and fixed them.
Yes, because those were software issues. This sounds much more like a hardware issue. If it persists, MS support would be who OP should speak to, not them.
I had the feeling this was a hardware thing too, ohhh man my heart is broken. With the shortage and all that, shipping the console, waiting for some fix that might very well not work, having it sent back... Oof depressing

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Are you offline? I heard Xboxes like to be online ;)

OP
OP
Jul 26, 2018
I hate saying this because it will be a tedious thing to do, but can you back up all your games etc and factory reset the console? Then redownload the updates and see if that fixes the issue.
Have you tried a different HDMI cable or port?
Yeah this, or try it on a diff tv. If it does it on a diff tv it could be your tv.
Yeah, also maybe use a different colour scheme and dynamic background. It might make a difference.
I can try a different cable and port. Different TV is kinda hard, I have my computer monitors but it'd be pretty inconvenient to move everything there.

My main worry is that this shows randomly, once in a while, so it's kinda hard to try and see if it's "fixed" when you're not even sure how to replicate it.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I had the feeling this was a hardware thing too, ohhh man my heart is broken. With the shortage and all that, shipping the console, waiting for some fix that might very well not work, having it sent back... Oof depressing
Send it to Microsoft, you can probably get a new one within weeks. Saw people with hardware failures from both get their consoles fixed/replaced

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
My original S had weird artifacting out of the box that ended up being a bum graphics card. My X hasn't had that issue, though, and it seems less common.

Sep 29, 2019
It's likely to be either a faulty HDMI and/or TV settings, or a faulty GPU. I would try replacing the HDMI cable first and trying to double-check on some TV settings [like HDR stuff and such] to see if there is any incompabilities or something of the sorts.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's the GPU starting to fail? Artifacts remind of that when my PC GPU died.

My One X just stopped displaying output at one point for a different reason. Apparently it was due to a faulty HDMI chip that seems to be a very common problem. We were able to find someone locally who repaired consoles that fixed it for us. Maybe yours is headed towards that direction too?