• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the embargo's ending, at least for the SSD and controller

something bothering me about the dpad on the new controller

EixzcOlXYAQCFLV

Eixt80yXgAI1kXu

you see those edges? wont using the dpad for long time damage them or eat from them?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Man I really wish they would've figured out something other than that giant black circle for the S. The white versions of Xbox One consoles look great and the Series S looks great except for that giant blemish.

Last edited:

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I could see a market for a Surface laptop/tablet hybrid with the Series S internals, that thing is seriously small.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I meant Series S. I think it looks great, I just don't like that giant black circle personally. I really like their white consoles for the most part. The Xbox One S looks so clean.
I like the circle. Not that it matters for anything other than the 2 minutes in which I will handle it as I take it out of the box

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I really wish they would've figured out something other than that giant black circle for the S. The white versions of Xbox One consoles look great and the Series S looks great except for that giant blemish.
I agree it doesn't look great. That said, I've seen some excellent fan renders of special editions that use it as a feature.

7qJve3P2yThxQoE9CKbiDf-1200-80.png

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
There are people out there with this problem apparently. My brother did this to a controller after a couple of months of use:
20200702_193407uojzg.jpg

Acidity in your sweat. My controller looks like that as well. It depends on the person. I know I have acidity in my sweat, I'm a brass musician and I've literally had silver coated mouthpiece's silver polish wear away over time.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
360 dpad was my favorite 1st party after Saturn. X1 and PS4 dpads are kind of bad. 360 had problems too but it was easy to do fighting game motions with. This new one looks like the best one since the 360's.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
360 dpad was my favorite 1st party after Saturn. X1 and PS4 dpads are kind of bad. 360 had problems too but it was easy to do fighting game motions with. This new one looks like the best one since the 360's.
What? The 360 D-Pad was literally broken. I never found a 360 controller where it would work reliably in all directions.

The XBO controller though? I think it's a great D-pad, actually my favourite this gen if only because the DS4 is too spongey and I prefer them a little more tactile.

I'm honestly baffled how you can think the 360 D-Pad is better than XBO.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Acidity in your sweat. My controller looks like that as well. It depends on the person. I know I have acidity in my sweat, I'm a brass musician and I've literally had silver coated mouthpiece's silver polish wear away over time.

"They're comin' outta the goddamn walls!" *tuba noises*

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I spent so much time looking for the wear on the d-pad that I didn't notice the left thumb stick for a good minute lol

I'd love to know which game caused that after a few months.
Honestly I think it may have just been a little fifa and a whole lot of halo. I used to notice this on my controllers when I was younger and always wondered who was fucking them up. Now I know.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
Just seeing the S makes me want to buy one. And I'm already getting the X. Not sure why, that tiny box looks so nice to have. For travels or, just to have it. Hard to explain. Dying for the hands-on reviews.

EDIT: I also build the tiniest PC form factors I can. And buy small cars and live in a really small house. Hmm

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Just seeing the S makes me want to buy one. And I'm already getting the X. Not sure why, that tiny box looks so nice to have. For travels or, just to have it. Hard to explain. Dying for the hands-on reviews.

EDIT: I also build the tiniest PC form factors I can. And buy small cars and live in a really small house. Hmm

The S is that small that you could conceivably travel around with it, if you are the kind of person who travels a lot lol.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

I feel the same pull, but I will not succumb.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the dpad is better than the Xbox one. It hurts my thumbs. Especially for games like THPS

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

If i didnt have a white xbox one x already i would totally buy both, cause the series S looks fucking hot. But im not gonna have 3 xbox's.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I like the size of the S but really not a fan of the giant black fan on top. Just looks goofy. Would've been better if they made it white too to fit in with the rest.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What? The 360 D-Pad was literally broken. I never found a 360 controller where it would work reliably in all directions.

The XBO controller though? I think it's a great D-pad, actually my favourite this gen if only because the DS4 is too spongey and I prefer them a little more tactile.

I'm honestly baffled how you can think the 360 D-Pad is better than XBO.
X1 pad was tough to hit corners with - particularly dire in fighting games. Any sweeping motion would pull my thumbnail back from my thumb too. 360 pad made it easy to do a qcf, hcb, forward motion. Any kind of sweeping motion it did with less travel than the analog stick. You are right that it did have problems in precise directional rocking but I think you're overstating the issue. It was no 3rd party controller designed for fighters but it did the job better the DS3, DS4 and X1 pads for me. I do have a Hori I used for fighters when I feel really committed to playing, but if I don't feel like breaking it out the 360 pad is solid backup.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think this is the reason. Forget the white dots beyond the circle, the circle being white then leading to the black just doesn't look good. While all black does stick out against the white Series S console, it looks cleaner. It also probably doesn't make the black fan inside as obvious either.

xbox-one-s-13-1-1024x576.jpg

can-xbox-series-s-play-discs.jpg

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
The S is that small that you could conceivably travel around with it, if you are the kind of person who travels a lot lol.
Perhaps me and the S need to take some trips together. Explore the world and bond. Climb some mountains with a small generator, a TV and live stream our love affair.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I think the series X is growing on me, especially in the vertical position. I still like the series S better from the horizontal view, but vertical now I think I have to give it to the series X. But it might be because it reminds me of a mini pc tower.

After using my Elite 2 controller for awhile, I think the Series controller getting some nice upgrades. I like the disc dpad on the elite 2, plus the grip on the triggers is nice. One thing series controller is missing though are the trigger locks. Those are so good for non racing games. Probably my favorite feature of the elite 2 controller. But I know MS can't carry everything over from the Elite 2 to the series X/S controller, because they want to sell Elite controllers too.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Perhaps me and the S need to take some trips together. Explore the world and bond. Climb some mountains with a small generator, a TV and live stream our love affair.
I've thought about making a "Help me make a Series S portable" thread lol.

I have large batteries that could handle the power needs of the console, but I don't know about a screen. There are portable screens that can be powered via USB, but I don't know what the power needs and the quality of those are like. But theoretically, that's like a couple hours of gaming on a mountaintop somewhere. If you bring a projector and a blanket, you could probably even do some splitscreen local Halo coop or some other local couch MP games - Mount Your Friends, perhaps. That would be QUITE the flex.