• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
no - a save state is made when you start a new one or shutdown (or something analogous)

if you unplug the machine mid game you are boned (in all likelihood)

I assumed Quick Resume was RAM based with temporary storage. Makes sense that it would only work for games you exit to place them in that state to start with.

Essentially yes. Before thiss console generation, the current game state would be fully stored on RAM. So textures, models, sound, your position in a level etc. RAM is way faster than a HDD, so computers load data they need to access to RAM before actually accessing it. However, RAM loses all its data when it is no longer powered.

The new console generation's SSDs bridge the speed gap between HDD and RAM by a lot. So Quick Resume jut stores the data on ram to the SSD whenever the application is paused. Since SSDs do retain memory when power is gone, this makes resuming after a powered down state possible.

Ah brilliant thanks for the detail. I knew RAM was temporary so it's interesting to hear how the SSD can take some of that storage now.

Aloy38

Jul 31, 2020
Regarding Quick Resume, do we know the maximum number of games that can in this "mode" at any one time? I've seen various different numbers, so just wondered if there was anything official yet. Or would it depend on the size of each game?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Quick Resume, do we know the maximum number of games that can in this "mode" at any one time? I've seen various different numbers, so just wondered if there was anything official yet. Or would it depend on the size of each game?
We don't know the size of the SSD allocated to Quick Resume.
Numbers are different because each game use more or less RAM.
I guess we'll be able to store 10 or maybe more 360 and OG Xbox games, but 5-7 One games, and 3 to 5 native Series games.

It will really depend on how much RAM each game will use and the size allocated (and if the user can increase/decrease it).

Aloy38

Jul 31, 2020
We don't know the size of the SSD allocated to Quick Resume.
Numbers are different because each game use more or less RAM.
I guess we'll be able to store 10 or maybe more 360 and OG Xbox games, but 5-7 One games, and 3 to 5 native Series games.

It will really depend on how much RAM each game will use and the size allocated (and if the user can increase/decrease it).
Ok. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately, when Xbox is saying no boost mode no downclocking are those things that PS5 is doing?

My understanding for the normal BC, not the framerate doubling this blogpost is talking about, both are offering last gen games the full power of the console so unlocked framerates, load times and dynamic resolutions would all potentially see improvements. They seem like the same idea for both systems, outside of this and the auto HDR.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Suspend/Resume was one of the best parts of the PS4 ( when they eventually patched it in). I feel like Quick Resume of 5 games or so will be fantastic -- especially for a household of multiple people playing different stuff. Which is where Gamepass truly shines also.

Honestly, Microsoft has killed it so far with messaging and new features incoming with the Series X|S.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Legitimately, when Xbox is saying no boost mode no downclocking are those things that PS5 is doing?

My understanding for the normal BC, not the framerate doubling this blogpost is talking about, both are offering last gen games the full power of the console so unlocked framerates, load times and dynamic resolutions would all potentially see improvements. They seem like the same idea for both systems, outside of this and the auto HDR.
There's worry that because the Pro didn't unlock the full power for backwards compatibility and because not all games supported boost that the PS5 might take a similar approach to BC. Good to note that this was done on the Pro for compatibility reasons.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Quick resume is going to be the best. I hope apps like Netflix are also involved.

Apps like Netflix should not be completely broken for every single 4K HDR TV first like with the current app on Xbox One, so that it's usable again, that would be a start.

(Currently, known for years already with no fix in sight, the Netflix app starts in a fake HDR mode on Xbox One and is in "HDR" all the time, no matter if you watch something in HDR or not, and if you do, it's also in fake HDR and not the real one. Also because of that, no Dolby Vision, I have no idea why this never got fixed or never blew up, but you can find postings about this from years ago already)

Also, I hope Series X finally support Dolby Vision from UHD discs. Currently the Xbox One (Blu Ray disc app) don't and it's also known for years already.
That the series X has basically the same Dashboard as the current Xbox scares me about problems like this, cause I don't believe much will change....

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
EkPBOwzWkAIQ5aA

EkPBOwzXYAApw8H

NuFrontier

Apr 19, 2020
While admittedly I haven't played a Gears game, seeing the new gears with those visuals has me a bit excited to jump in!

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The first tweet after searching "Gears 5" on Twitter has a comparison of the new screens to a PS4 game. Never change, internet.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the differences? Looks the same to me as on Xbox One X. Granted I haven't played it in a year so I could be missing something.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
These Pics look native res to me. Admittedly I don't know how to pixel count but they look really sharp.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
What are the differences? Looks the same to me as on Xbox One X. Granted I haven't played it in a year so I could be missing something.

755qg80hk9b51.png

A load of the features in the PC Ultra specs pack will be brought to Xbox Series X, which includes (these are taken directly from the slides shown in the Inside Unreal event):
  • Higher Resolution Textures
  • Improved Anisotropic Filtering
  • Higher-Resolution Volume Fog
  • Higher Quality Depth of Field
  • Extremely far Draw Distances with high level of object detail
  • Shadow Resolution and Shadow Distance
  • High-quality Screen-Space Reflections
  • Post Processing improvements like Bloom, Lens Flare, Light Shafts, etc.
  • + More!
As well as this there are more new features:
  • Contact Shadows
    • This allows extremely realistic shadowing as each pixel on screen traces back to the light source to eliminate andy shadow biasing artifacts or fill in missing shadows
  • Screen Space Global Illumination
    • Integrated from UE4 4.24, this feature allows us to achieve full real-time GI at 60fps/4k
    • SSGI's AO pass replaces the more traditional SSAO giving much more naturalistic broad real-time AO
  • Higher particle counts. Our particle counters are 50% higher than PC Ultra Spec
  • Real Time Cinematics in 4k 60FPS
    • Xbox One X Cinematics were 4k 30FPS
  • Investigating 120FPS Multiplayer support

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even tell the difference from One X to Series X because it's been a while and I just remember it being gorgeous, but holy hell that is GORGEOUS and I can't wait for a side by side. Will probably replay this... and now I wanna see FH4 too.

Do we have a full list of games getting a next-gen patch at launch (not BC enhancements, but a native patch)? I know of Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5, but I think Sea of Thieves might be getting that too?

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
They bumped it to match the PC ultra preset while also adding a few new graphical features like GI and some other stuff that are not in the PC version. The PC ultra looks quite a bit better than the 1X version and the GI grounds the scene a lot better.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They bumped it to match the PC ultra preset while also adding a few new graphical features like GI and some other stuff that are not in the PC version. The PC ultra looks quite a bit better than the 1X version and the GI grounds the scene a lot better.
The lighting is loads better, looks to me that texture detail in the distance is substantially improved as well.
Thanks for responses. Can't wait for the digital foundry side by side comparisons!

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
also cutscenes now 60fps
This too. It would have been interesting to see the reception this game would be getting if it was launching for the first time with XSX. I guess if they knew that H:I was going to miss launch with the myriad of issues it's facing Gears5 might have been moved to a launch game proper. I still think it looks better than any game launch with the next-gen consoles bar Demon Soul.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
This thread is constantly bumped and I keep thinking it's a new thread about new impressions........COME ON MS let people show us stuff! :)

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how much more excited I am to replay games in an enhanced state over playing new gem games come Nov 10th

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I can't even tell the difference from One X to Series X because it's been a while and I just remember it being gorgeous, but holy hell that is GORGEOUS and I can't wait for a side by side. Will probably replay this... and now I wanna see FH4 too.

Do we have a full list of games getting a next-gen patch at launch (not BC enhancements, but a native patch)? I know of Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5, but I think Sea of Thieves might be getting that too?
I don't believe that Sea Of Thieves will have a patch ready for launch but I would also love to know what other games will be ready?

Ori is getting a 120HZ mode but again, not sure if this will be ready for launch.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe that Sea Of Thieves will have a patch ready for launch but I would also love to know what other games will be ready?

Ori is getting a 120HZ mode but again, not sure if this will be ready for launch.
Its unbelievable to me how unclear the launch lineup still is. I'd love a partial rundown of what's confirmed at the moment...