• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
www.tomshardware.com

Microsoft Xbox Series X's AMD Architecture Deep Dive at Hot Chips 2020

AMD's next-gen console APUs come out of hiding.

mU23LQCtEe9ePVZe3DpU7S-650-80.jpg.webp

qxkCgRwh6Y5oJ5wLDtgA9L-650-80.jpg.webp

fqvK7bgMNGxQdNKNnHKZHQ-1366-80.png

EDIT 7nm is expensive APU is more expensive than Xbox One X

u6DpdwnZaBFNAYjjjMijVN-650-80.jpg

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
The presentation also takes some times to discuss the decreased difficulties in chip scaling relative to Moore's Law. While the chip size of the Xbox Series X is in line with previous console hardware (375mm square for the Xbox One in 2013, 367mm square for the Xbox One X in 2017), and transistor counts have more than doubled relative to the Xbox One X (6.6 billion to 15.4 billion), the die cost is higher. Microsoft doesn't specify how much higher, but lists "$" as the cost on the Xbox One and Xbox One S, "$+" for the Xbox One X, and "$++" for the Xbox Series X. As we've noted elsewhere, while TSMC's 7nm lithography is proving potent, the cost per wafer is substantially higher than at 12nm.

This quote from Tom's Hardware is something I think we need to keep in mind going forward. The SOCs are costing more even though they're on smaller processes. We're no longer at a point were a smaller process means cost savings.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Once again, nothing about RT as a feature is ever a main talking feature since console reveals. RT this coming gen for consoles are going to be underwhelming imo due to performance hits.

Oct 27, 2017
This quote from Tom's Hardware is something I think we need to keep in mind going forward. The SOCs are costing more even though they're on smaller processes. We're no longer at a point were a smaller process means cost savings.
It makes me question the feasibility of mid-gen consoles as purely revolving around horsepower this gen and not requiring something else (like how tensor cores allow for DLSS on Nvidia GPUs for additional results than what "increased perf" could provide alone)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once again, nothing about RT as a feature is ever a main talking feature since console reveals. RT this coming gen for consoles are going to be underwhelming imo due to performance hits.
?? Ratchet, Spiderman, Pragmata and GT7 have ray traced reflections. GT7 has reflections at native 4k 60 fps.

next gen will be fine. devs will figure out ways to utilize it without incurring massive performance hits.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I think RT implementation will be far more nuanced on 9th-gen consoles than what the first wave of RT titles on RTX 20 offered in terms of options (low to ultra). But that's the strength of console development, being able to tailor specifically for the platform.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The actual presentation is at 6:30 PM PST for anyone wondering
Oh, I was wondering why there was nothing much in the link when I skimmed it. Looking forward to it.

RT is still in it's infancy in this industry and it's unwise to expect too much. Still, that doesn't mean it'll suck. Besides, I'd argue it's AMD's job to explain their RT implementation, not Microsoft's.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I will be very focused on stuff like reflections imo. Full RT is not happening. It's probably gonna be the selling point of Pro versions.

OP
OP
chris 1515

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
8MB L3 Cache...that's a lot less than a Ryzen3700X..I wonder what the performance cost will be.

Like Renoir it is monolithic, it perfoms very well against a Ryzen 3700x

www.hardwaretimes.com

AMD Ryzen 7 4700G (Renoir Desktop) Beats the Ryzen 7 3700X in Cinebench Multi-Core | Hardware Times

The Cinebench scores of AMD’s upcoming Renoir desktop flagship, the Ryzen 7 4700G have surfaced and it seems that the APU will be faster than its Matisse counterpart, the Ryzen 7 3700X. Both are 65W chips with the former packing a 512 shader Vega 8 iGPU as well, yet it manages to beat the 3700X …

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Don't believe there lies, Moore's law doesn't exist, listen to the prophet Randy Pitchford.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like the PS5/Series X Pro models will focus largely on RT, much in same way that the PS4 Pro/One X focused on 4K.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
As an insight into RDNA2 and RT behaviour, slide 13 sort of makes it sound like texture and RT ops are shared? Using one eats into the other? I guess it doesn't matter so much where you're memory bound anyway.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As something of a tech luddite - would this be something similar to NVIDIA's solution for RTX GPUs? It makes sense that both Sony and MS (as well as AMD) would have something in the works like this.
similar, yes. the difference is that Nvidia is using dedicated hardware. so, theoretically, Nvidia's method would always outperform the Xbox's solution

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an insight into RDNA2 and RT behaviour, slide 13 sort of makes it sound like texture and RT ops are shared? Using one eats into the other? I guess it doesn't matter so much where you're memory bound anyway.
looks like that patent from a ways back has been put into practice

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Oh yes, my mistake. (multiplied not percentage) 10x the performance is surely a pipe dream?

A game running at 10fps is now 100fps?