• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

senpai

Oct 28, 2017

Microsoft's Xbox Series X next-gen console may support Steam and the Epic Games Store, according to rumours circulating among supposed insiders in the Xbox community.

As with any rumour, this information is to be taken with a large pinch of salt, but the rumours suggest that the Xbox Series X may feature a "Windows mode" that enables players to switch the console's operating system to Windows 10, which would give you access to the Steam and Epic Games Store platforms. If true, you could essentially transform the console into a PC, and gain access to a whole library of games you might not otherwise be able to play on Xbox.

i dont think so...But can it be ??

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd sell my PC after getting one then.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
So the sales and prices of games on their own ecosystem would compete with the sales and prices of those same games on Epic and Steam? Hmm.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Interesting rumor, but my immediate thought is that it makes the Xbox interface even more strange for me. One of my biggest criticisms of Xbox going forward is that their UI has been kind of bad for a long time, I even think it was bad before this current gen started... And having a Windows 10-ish mode to run PC games sounds like it's just going to introduce yet another submenu littered in a ton of existing submenus that I'll have to navigate to in order for the dang thing to even function.

But I'm overthinking it in that case. Some form of Windows 10 could be pretty powerful as a feature, just wondering if the specs will keep up beyond a handful of games early on if it's true, or if developers will just include a performance profile for games that work through this method?

... and then I feel like I've overthinking it again, lol...

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I always imagine that's always the end goal for xbox. So that any pc games can be played on xbox, didn't actually thought it will have steam or other market store in it. But just that any pc games can potentially ran at xbox with no porting effort from developer, so there's no reason to not release your games on xbox store

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If the new Xbox legitimately ran Windows it'd be insane. I don't believe it. But I want it.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
doubtful.

if it is then practically a windows PC with really good specs and pretty affordable too even for $600 $700 that's good for a PC. I just dont see how they can afford to sell it like that. People will buy it to do whatever they want instead of buying ms content or even games.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Would probably be a nightmare for support

But not that far of a reach, the consoles' hardware (besides Switch) are just less-powerful gaming PCs in the first place.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
People actually believe this? Lol

They said Windows apps would run on the Xbox One and they technically aren't wrong, Windows Store apps made to be compatible with the Xbox One do run on it. This is probably the same thing

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Hmm I wonder what does Jez Corden think about this? Maybe someone could post a tweet of his seven times in this thread :p

OP
OP
senpai

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

It was a good short dream for me...

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Assuming this as true, the new gen xbox consoles would probably break records in console sales, but then again software sales would be next to zero. Can't see that as a good idea tbh.

Only if they're want to be really really aggressive to break Sony legs, but that's not happening.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
I like how sites are posting clickbait referencing other sites' clickbait now. We're in peak "next gen rumorz!" season.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to think this is a legitimate potential rumor. If more reputable and established sites report on something like this, then feel free to create a thread about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.