• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
So, my XSX preorder arrived today from Amazon, which was great given the fact that many were being delayed a few days.

Unfortunately, I think my disc drive might be defective.

I tweeted Xbox Support this video, showing how when I try to insert a disc, the drive won't accept the disc. It feels as though a disc is already in there, which there clearly isn't given I just set it up.

Not sure if it could be software related and a firmware update could fix it, but considering my Amazon shipping box literally had no bubble wrap, packing paper, or anything to protect it (just the Series X box inside a bigger box), I think it may of been damaged in transit.

I'm sure I'll get it replaced by either Amazon or Microsoft, but who knows how long that'll take with the limited quantities available right now (hopefully my PS5 preorder goes a little smoother when I pick it up on Thursday lol). Mostly just wanted to post to give those who did order through Amazon a heads up of potential horrible shipping, and if it wasn't damaged and if others have experienced it, if they've found a work around.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I had to go in to GameStop and replace my controller because the D-pad didn't work right but outside of that, pretty much flawless on the hardware side

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, my XSX preorder arrived today from Amazon, which was great given the fact that many were being delayed a few days.

Unfortunately, I think my disc drive might be defective.

I tweeted Xbox Support this video, showing how when I try to insert a disc, the drive won't accept the disc. It feels as though a disc is already in there, which there clearly isn't given I just set it up.

Not sure if it could be software related and a firmware update could fix it, but considering my Amazon shipping box literally had no bubble wrap, packing paper, or anything to protect it (just the Series X box inside a bigger box), I think it may of been damaged in transit.

I'm sure I'll get it replaced by either Amazon or Microsoft, but who knows how long that'll take with the limited quantities available right now (hopefully my PS5 preorder goes a little smoother when I pick it up on Thursday lol). Mostly just wanted to post to give those who did order through Amazon a heads up of potential horrible shipping, and if it wasn't damaged and if others have experienced it, if they've found a work around.
Usually at launch, they have spares lying around in case of defective units. They usually overnight them to you.

Clutchman

Nov 12, 2017
Got mine from Best Buy this morning and it was manufacturered on July 31. So far so good *knocks on wood* New tech so bound to be problems just hope they are far and few in between.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
my drive just seemed kinda loud while installing Watch Dogs, but otherwise normal

walmart had the same poor packing though

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a few reports on faulty disc drives, some of them due to people inserting the disc up side down. 😂

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
It deffinitely felt weird when I put a disk in. It was forsure more difficult than on a one x but it did take it eventually.

Is there a manual disk release button on the series X, wouldn't hurt to make sure there isn't a disk in there somehow.

OP
OP
Travless

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
Yes, i have the same problem!
youtu.be

Xbox Series X Disc Drive defekt / Disc drive error / noise

Die Xbox Series X nimmt keine Discs auf. Xbox Series x disc drive error. Disc drive strange noise.

What can we do now? I do not want to wait for my xbox to be repaired.

Glad to know I'm not alone! (Well, not glad that you're experiencing this...you know what I mean haha).

I put in a request to speak to a customer service rep at Microsoft, but they're pretty backed up. Said I should get a call in 60-90 minutes, so I'll update everyone after with what they say.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Hope you get it resolved quick everyone who is affected.

I would maybe go straight to Xbox support, might get sorted much quicker than your retailer unless they have one to hand over to you right away.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I heard someone mention issues with it. I guess there will be a few units out of millions with problems. Sorry that hear that it happened to you.

MTR

Oct 27, 2017
I cant install forza horizon 2 but the disc has always been a bit sketchy.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
They block at different points too.

ufC7ll6.png

PvuC6qh.png

Wonder what it is.

Hope you get replacements quick smart.

OP
OP
Travless

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
Please don't hold the disc like that :(

In all seriousness, I hope this gets resolved for you.

Haha I know, I know. To be fair, it was a little akward to try and film it (see the example of me completely missing the drive the first time lol).

I appreciate it. Hoping Xbox Support gives me a call back soon. It sucks, but as long as it gets resolved in a semi-timely manner, I'll be happy. My backlog is only going to get bigger after Thursday's PS5 launch so I'll have plenty to play. Haha